• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starhawk (Closed) Beta Testing thread of impressions and questions.

Atruvius

One of my PSN friends told me he found a dev menu inside the beta. I messed around a bit and then the game crashed. You can change lighting, shadows, fog, etc. of the press start screen and the two levels. I took a pic.

j8Q6jxmHYdt1r.JPG

I love this kind of stuff!

Quote this post to see how to access the dev menu.
If anyone has any some problems witth me posting this, I'll delete it.

brentech

I only got to play like half a game last night, so while learning everything will ultimately make a large impact, I was sad that weapon pick-ups and the like don't really stand out as much as they did in Warhawk. Seems like they bleed into the environment here.

I picked up a few other guns. One was a shotgun; another, I wasn't really sure what it did. Other than some kill assists, that's about all I managed. Just need to spend more time with it.

Number45

Are there any issues with me posting my key here (hidden obviously) to spread the love to GAF? I know this is a closed beta, so I don't want to get anyone into trouble.

Anton668

Made a GAF room this morn. Things were going fine till a few min ago when my PS3 locked up.

which map do you guys prefer?

What is all talk and do I want to select it?

Is it me or both maps are ripoffs of the Omega Factory map in Warhawk?
Uhh... yes?
NO.

It has comprehensive info on everything Starhawk (though a few things are dated). It's a good read.
I just gleaned it, but is there any relevant game play info / pointers for noobs there? I may have missed it. :\
Hey I've been putting up 24-hour GAF servers for over a week, the least you can do a read the info in the link, it should take 5-10 minutes!!!
which map do you guys prefer?

What is all talk and do I want to select it?
All Talk just means you talk w/o having to press L3.

tch

Game looks great from the youtube clips I've watched!

Still looking for a key if everyone could keep me in their prayers I'd appreciate it.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
N/M. Maintenance.. :)

Haven't been able to connect for the past hour... Anyone else having any issue? I get timeouts, then the 1.0.8 update notice, then timeouts, same thing, then timeouts, then 1.0.9. notice, etc etc.

edit: ARGH... now 1.0.6 and 1.0.7 updates are being thrown into the mix...Loading..Loading..timeout.

GodofWine

Stayed up till 2am playing this beta. I only wish I could control the Starhawk ship in flight mode better.

on the space map, when you start going under the 'map' and through the holes in the map, and doing barrel rolls in the process...its gets quite disorienting...

I need mah tanks back!!

carlos

locked up for me too in the middle of the game in that gaf server.

Horribly laggy there at times, took me about 20 seconds to be able to get on a jeep, and after I picked up the flag, it took about 10 for the game to notice and give it to me.

Still don't like the air game, as well as when I'm on the ground as a mech, not only are they too easy to destroy, but killing even one ground troop seems to take forever since there's no splash damage with missles, and the mech is so big that it takes up most of the screen and you can't aim accurately at the people running just in front of you. The hawk melee is useless as well.

I'm going to suck horribly if/when they nerf the knife, it seems that 80% of my kills are from melee, whether I run up to people, or hide and knife as they come around corners.

Don't like the shotgun; if someone is climbing a ladder and you are up there waiting, shooting them point blank with a shotty should equal death :/ just better to stab stab stab

woolley

Agreed...but its Pre-Beta, maps will get bigger. If like Warhawk, much much bigger.

I really hope so. I miss not being able to go around and do my own thing for a little bit and then going to join the battle when I want to instead of being in constant battle all of the time and also being able to see battles going on in the distance was really cool thing in Warhawk.

rexor0717

The maps are so small, it doesn't even feel like there's a need to use vehicles at all in these maps.

So far, we've only had the 16 player maps, so I can't wait to see the size of the 32 player maps.
Also, they need to either reduce the players health or get rid of the regenerating health. I don't want to kill people COD fast, but when you are trying to get rid of an enemy "stronghold" in the middle of the map, them being able to duck behind cover to regenerate all their health after you have been shooting them for a solid second is unacceptable.

Edit: Also, the framerate when flying is ass.

woolley

Also, they need to either reduce the players health or get rid of the regenerating health. I don't want to kill people COD fast, but when you are trying to get rid of an enemy "stronghold" in the middle of the map, them being able to duck behind cover to regenerate all their health after you have been shooting them for a solid second is unacceptable.

I think they just need to lengthen the time before you start to regenerate and how quickly it's done once it starts. It's almost like once you start reloading they already start to regenerate.

For the sake of the beta the really need to decrease the amount of time it takes for you to attempt to connect to a server, fail to connect, get booted to the main screen and then press start. It is about 1.5 to 2 minutes right now, but it can happen many times in a row. A bit annoying to be in the game for about a half hour and never get into a match.

desertdroog

The maps are so small, it doesn't even feel like there's a need to use vehicles at all in these maps.

Ahh, something to look forward to upon retail release. I usually do pretty well with arcadey flying controls, but this and BF3 have really humbled me.

And I suspect it is due to the limited flying arenas.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What time does people generally get on Frankman's server from here? I need to sit down and play a few rounds with GAF maybe tomorrow or Saturday afternoon.

dorkimoe

Played 2 games so far

They probably should add the old aiming system back.
The building was good, i was throwing turrets in random places. Great xp

Jaeyden

I'm sure I had at least a thousand hours in Warhawk. Still load it up every now and then. Absolutely one of the best games this generation. Been watching this thread and various others. Not too worried about some of the sour beta impressions. They know what made WH so good and I'm confident they will find that balance in SH. I know it's late in the game to say this but since Lighthouse is tweaking it - the more it feels like Warhawk....the better IMO.

Warhawk was fucking awesome. Buttery smooth. Intense. Knuckle grinding. Nail biting. FUN.
Not to mention that if you could fly a hawk, it was even better! If it feels like WH and looks like SH, then it's a winner! Ring me up, I'll take three :)

On holiday for the next few weeks and would love a key if they're floating around.

I'm sure I had at least a thousand hours in Warhawk. Still load it up every now and then. Absolutely one of the best games this generation. Been watching this thread and various others. Not too worried about some of the sour beta impressions. They know what made WH so good and I'm confident they will find that balance in SH. I know it's late in the game to say this but since Lighthouse is tweaking it - the more it feels like Warhawk....the better IMO.

Warhawk was fucking awesome. Buttery smooth. Intense. Knuckle grinding. Nail biting. FUN.
Not to mention that if you could fly a hawk, it was even better! If it feels like WH and looks like SH, then it's a winner! Ring me up, I'll take three :)

On holiday for the next few weeks and would love a key if they're floating around.
I'm not really worried much, Lightbox Interactive has two more chances to fix shit: the real Beta and of course, the actual released product.

LOL LOL LOL just got 18 kills in a row with melee.

I'm abusing this until they fix it.

I just camped in the enemy base under their hawk pad so they couldn't capsule kill me, waited for them to hatch then SLASH! SLASH! SLASH! :3

GodofWine

LOL LOL LOL just got 18 kills in a row with melee.

I'm abusing this until they fix it.

I just camped in the enemy base under their hawk pad so they couldn't capsule kill me, waited for them to hatch then SLASH! SLASH! SLASH! :3

Wasn't the knife a one hit kill in WH too? I haven't found it over done in Starhawk (yet).

I wish I would have known I wouldn't have liked it otherwise I would have given my code away.

I'm only getting this game for the SP because it'd be the closest thing to a Warhawk SP I'd get. Dealing with managing points to build structures and/or scrambling around a map aimlessly in search for something useful is retarded to me.

A no build and battle mode with predetermined bases, though unlikely, would be the only reason I play the MP.

Deadstar

I got into a game and played a bit last night. Seems fun but I only ran around for 15 minutes or so. I tried joining another game but it failed every time. Not sure what was up. I'll try it again tonight. There seems to be some type of laggy feeling or low fps. Hopefully that is fixed.

It didn't have insane range and 1-hit kill on machinery though. That's what makes the knife broken, almost more-so than the frigging Razorback.

Yes. In a way the current knife is overpowered and less versatile than the Warhawk knife, cannot use while jumping, cannot use while couching. I'd like to see the tracking and lack of jump/crouch use remedied. Some of my greatest Warhawk kills were by dropping down and slashing folks coming up a ladder, or jumping and knifing them in the back while they got a few rungs up the ladder.

I did love it last night when some dude tried to jack my hawk while I was standing on it Warhawk style, and I knifed him. Winning.

The Razorback seems really unbalanced. Too low energy to generate a garage for a fast moving, three person vehicle, which can also be repaired with a passenger while driving. It's overpowered currently.

It's also too high off the ground. It's difficult to knife driver, passenger, or gunner now - due to lack of jumping with the knife.

Cost to create a garage should be the same as the Hawk pad, and the Hawk is far less versatile currently. No passenger. Need to stop to repair it. So the Hawk pad should cost less to build.

Slow it down, make it lower to the ground, and cost more to generate one.

I got into a game and played a bit last night. Seems fun but I only ran around for 15 minutes or so. I tried joining another game but it failed every time. Not sure what was up. I'll try it again tonight. There seems to be some type of laggy feeling or low fps. Hopefully that is fixed.

Don't join any game with 14 players. By the time everything is resolved you'll most likely get booted back to the title menu.

It is safest to join rooms with 11/16 players for the best odds of getting in. Two and three empty spots fill up too quickly.

Make sure you're posting your feedback to the official forums guys. Lets not assume Lightbox is reading this thread for feedback as well. I'm sure they may well be, but all comments on what you like and dislike need to go in the beta forums. It's why we're beta testers.

F-Pina

Pretty sure.
Been playing for the last 2 hours with the update on.
They also changed more stuff
- Increased splash damage for rockets
- Decreased range of beam turrets
- Decreased damage of beam turrets to hawks

Official list:
- Increased splash radius of the rocket launcher
- Slightly nerfed the beam turret's damage against Hawks
- Reduced the range of the beam turret
- Slightly nerfed grenades against Hawks
- More fixes for the pre-game flag exploit
by LBI_Ron (Dec 15, 2011)
eh...

Setting up NeoGAF. BELIEVE... room.

Patch doesn't seem to have been very helpful. Splash damage on grenades and rocket launcher is still lousy. Only thing I noticed was that the hawk MG was really tearing me up, but nothing about that was in the patch notes so it must have just been the luck of the draw tonight.

Top Bottom