• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starting next week, my company is making us check in our phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Condom

It is just a symptom of a sliding division between work and home life. Those old people that can't use phones also don't check their mail at home.
Ding ding ding

This is the real 'issue'. Work-private life isn't as divided as back in the 90s.

pigeon

Banned
So you basicaly dont want them to do thier job as a manager or they are a bad manager just so you can play with your phone?

Amazing mental gymnastics on display here.

I manage people.

I will reiterate, everybody else has the same labor pool you do. If you're the only one who can't get your employees to do effective work because they're on their phones too much, exactly who else can be at fault but you? Everything else is the same.

Employees need to understand limits. I had to fire a kid because he always had his phone in his hand, checking his Facebook and leaving tasks incomplete when he clocked out. I wouldn't institute this policy since emergencies can always come up, but employees should understand that company time isn't time for tweeting and other horseshit. There's sixteen more hours in the day to fuck around with your phones.

Schlep

If only they gave you luchtime and paid breaks, we should make that law.

Neither of which are required outside of California (and maybe one or two other states), but that's beside the point. Still, assuming you have an 8 hour employee with 30 minutes worth of breaks, you're rarely going to get a full 7.5 hours of work out of them. That's not a realistic expectation.

Rad-

My last job was like that. Even after work is done ahead of time, and there is literally nothing for you to do, they expected you to be "proactive" and look for or ask for additional work.

What's wrong with this? I'm a manager and this is exactly what I want of my workers. I don't force them to do this but the workers who do this are the ones that I also praise to my bosses when they ask if I have someone in my sector that could use a promotion.

What's wrong with this? I'm a manager and this is exactly what I want of my workers. I don't force them to do this but the workers who do this are the ones that I also praise to my bosses when they ask if I have someone in my sector that could use a promotion.

Same. People who only do exactly what they're asked to do don't stand out for promotions or raises. The people who take the initiative and do more than only what is required get recognized for it.

There are a few people in my division who get paid more than our clients pay us (basically little or no profit margin on their time), and they get this pay because they pave the way for the rest of our professional staff who may not live up to that initial standard.

Catdaddy

They should just make everyone sign up for AT&T, I usually get a sporadic signal in my building, even sitting near a window I get 2 bars max. When I move to the middle of the building lose it completely.

Buy a burner and turn that one in.

If they issue is "they're making us check in our phones", why are people suggesting "get another phone"? Do you think a place that is making you check in your phones is going to be super stoked when they catch employees with a secondary phone they didn't check in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom