• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starting next week, my company is making us check in our phones

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work in an office. Two coworkers got into an arguing. It came out that one of them always slacks off. So now when we get into wotk, we check our phones in and then check them out when we leave.

Is it odd that I'm considering job hunting over this?

Samyy

Its not odd that you would consider changing jobs
I wouldn't feel good about it either, especially if I was doing my work.

CryptiK

I work in an office. Two coworkers got into an arguing. It came out that one of them always slacks off. So now when we get into wotk, we check our phones in and then check them out when we leave.

Is it odd that I'm considering job hunting over this?

No this isn't school. What happens in an emergency? Call the work phone? Fuck dat

Why does the one colleague care about the other one slacking?

If he is doing his job who cares if he is slacking or taking a long break. Just do your own job.
I never got this myself. There is a tattletail in our office too who concerns himself with what time people are coming and leaving and complains to the mgr. Do your own fucking job. Cripes.

As an employer I often consider implementation of just such a policy, we had an employee who became very unpopular with customers due to using headphones while at work and barely talking to them. Not ideal in a bar as small talk with the bar staff is a important part of customer interaction.

I'm considering creating a file where phones must be turned off and placed in the office upon starting a shift, they can be retrieved at shift's end.

Also if you're serious about job hunting because of this, you should think about your priorities.

One of my old jobs had this rule but everyone just kept their phones in their pocket anyway. Seems like such a minor issue to consider quitting over.

As an employer I often consider implementation of just such a policy, we had an employee who became very unpopular with customers due to using headphones while at work and barely talking to them. Not ideal in a bar as small talk with the bar staff is a important part of customer interaction.

I'm considering creating a file where phones must be turned off and placed in the office upon starting a shift, they can be retrieved at shift's end.

Also if you're serious about job hunting because of this, you should think about your priorities.

Punish the individual employee, not the entire staff.

Or you can just ask him to not use his headphones instead of punishing all your employers, just saying.

CryptiK

If you can't manage your own employee's then thats your problem, one person causing the issue does not warrant everyone being punished. This isn't school any more.

espher

Does it seem like a bizarre one-of for the company, or is this the sort of decision that you can easily understand your managers/executive making thinking it's a smart solution to a minor problem which may give you a hint of how they operate?

If it's the latter, and this isn't exactly a 'career' position that you'd love to keep, I'd certainly be keeping an eye out for something, but I wouldn't be rushing out the door yet.

Samyy

Nope, why the hell should you punish everyone for one persons issues?
Horribly stupid policy that will build huge amounts of bad will in your employees, which is simply going to do the opposite of what you want. This will hurt productivity more than help it.

Katori

Nope. The market should be able to sustain you doing your job the way you want to, as long as you do it well (which may, of course, include keeping customers satisfied). Whether the market does or not is up for debate (and depends on where you are), but it's not a matter of priority.

OP, and presumably nearly everybody in his company, does his job well. One guy doesn't and the whole place is punished (in an incredibly arbitrary way)? That's bad management, which is another great reason to start searching for a way out.

Is my first career job. I find the company for the most part enjoyable. But with this, there is a pride issue. Fuck this. Updating my linkedin

Nope, why the hell should you punish everyone for one persons issues?
Horribly stupid policy that will build huge amounts of bad will in your employees, which is simply going to do the opposite of what you want. This will hurt productivity more than help it.

Note I said I was only considering it at this stage. I probably won't do this unless it develops into a bigger problem.

bigkrev

This is perfectly reasonable in a customer service setting. In an office setting, it's fucking absurd.

CryptiK

Is my first career job. I find the company for the most part enjoyable. But with this, there is a pride issue. Fuck this. Updating my linkedin
Nice. Just make sure you don't mention the reason you are leaving to any one. Make up a good excuse.

Said employee has since resigned, but it's not good for them to messing around with their phone during working hours.

I'd probably resign too if I had an employer who would ever consider a policy of checking in my phone every day. And I'm a person who doesn't even use my phone except maybe three times during an entire week. Employer trust is important to employee efficiency. If employees feel like you're just there to be their enemy then they have little reason to give you loyalty back.

Effect

Unless there is some security issue at play making people check in their phones is stupid. Plain and simple. If someone isn't doing their job then talk to that person and watch them to make sure they are and if they don't change they're let go. The very nature of emergencies is a reason why people should be able to have their phones on them. Implement a rule that people are not to use them while working unless under an emergencies. s

Making people check them in does not address the problem at all. If people are to preoccupied by their phones then they'll just replace that with something else. If there is an employee issue then deal with it not take this stupid and cowards way out and punish everyone.

If a job did this to me I would certainly take the route of handing in a broken phone and would be looking for a new job. This isn't how you deal with this type of issue.

Dishwalla

Banned
Why don't you just leave it in your car? I work in a place where there are no electronic devices are allowed due to security, so I turn my phone off and leave it in the center console. We are allowed to go out to our cars from time to time throughout the day and check our phones if we need to.

Katori

Note I said I was only considering it at this stage. I probably won't do this unless it develops into a bigger problem.

If everyone else performs their job, what's the point? More restrictions don't make more productive employees; there are plenty of studies on this.

I don't use my phone in meetings. I don't use it when I'm talking to customers. I don't use it when I'm programming. But having to check it in? Yes, I would leave, within a matter of months.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Unless you're working in a secured facility (meaning that you guys handle classified info), you're not wrong to be upset about this.

Sarcasm

Putting your phones before you go work in a bar isn't punishing. You should not be on your phone in that line of work.

This isn't some dictatorship or capital punishment he was forcing. Maybe if it was one of those office jobs where you pretty much choose your own work schedule and everybody is bud buds that would be kind of punishing.

Frame of reference. Bar vs office.

Why don't you just leave it in your car? I work in a place where there are no electronic devices are allowed due to security, so I turn my phone off and leave it in the center console.

This is what i'd do. It would also have the bonus of me being away from the workplace during lunch as i'd be in my car checking my phone. Much less stressful and less chance of interruptions.
If work wanted me to hand in my personal phone i'd want it to go in a secure locked box with limited and accountable access. If not then yeah, i'd leave it hidden in my car or not bring it to work.
It's also not a good look for the management if they treat staff like children, get some training for your managers.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I'd refuse to check in my phone. The notion that this should be expected of me in what I assume is not a top secret organization is ludicrous. I would absolutely consider finding new employment. Wanting to improve worker efficiency doesn't justify being belittled and treated like a teenager. Find an employer who respects you as a person.

Also, apparently some employers think that needlessly invasive measures like this are the only solutions to improving productivity. As someone else said, 1997 called.

Jito

Banned
I can understand wanting to leave over this, but one of my biggest annoyances at work is seeing people slacking off on their phones instead of working. I wouldn't want an out right ban on phones but some people are phone addicts and never put them down.

Why does the one colleague care about the other one slacking?

If he is doing his job who cares if he is slacking or taking a long break. Just do your own job.
Often times when one colleague slacks, the rest have to pick up after them.

There's a myriad of reasons why other workers should care, and not ignore it: when performance bonuses are based on teams and not the individual, when the workload increases on everyone else and everyone is forced to work overtime to play "catch up" due to the slacker while on salary, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom