• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starting next week, my company is making us check in our phones

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an employer I often consider implementation of just such a policy, we had an employee who became very unpopular with customers due to using headphones while at work and barely talking to them. Not ideal in a bar as small talk with the bar staff is a important part of customer interaction.

I'm considering creating a file where phones must be turned off and placed in the office upon starting a shift, they can be retrieved at shift's end.

Also if you're serious about job hunting because of this, you should think about your priorities.

I have had to go with a similar policy at my shop as well. People just dont realize how much time they spend looking at their phones in a day...

I'd find a new job or buy a broken phone and give it to them. If they want to say that you can't be on the phone when youre on the clock then that's fine and makes sense, but they shouldn't be taking your stuff. Im pretty sure most adults have a need to be reachable in some capacity.

Often times when one colleague slacks, the rest have to pick up after them.

There's a myriad of reasons why other workers should care, and not ignore it: when performance bonuses are based on teams and not the individual, when the workload increases on everyone else and everyone is forced to work overtime to play "catch up" due to the slacker while on salary, etc.
Bonuses are competitive based on individual performance. If got are the top ranked employee for the month, you get a five hundred dollar bonus

"What if there is an emergency?"

How did we ever survive as a species before mobile phones?

Just set your phone to foreword to your desk phone or reception, easy right? I can remember when personal calls at work were frowned upon so I can see why a mobile phone ban would be used. Also how many people are posting on the Internet when they are supposed to be working? Entitlement of the younger generation is running unchecked.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
As an employer I often consider implementation of just such a policy, we had an employee who became very unpopular with customers due to using headphones while at work and barely talking to them. Not ideal in a bar as small talk with the bar staff is a important part of customer interaction.

I'm considering creating a file where phones must be turned off and placed in the office upon starting a shift, they can be retrieved at shift's end.

Also if you're serious about job hunting because of this, you should think about your priorities.

Petty and childish. You sound like a shitty employer.

Levyne

Banned
I interviewed at a place where they have to use pagers due to the sensitivity of the area, it was a national lab. "Leave your phone in the car"

I haven't heard back from them yet, but I would probably be really weird to get used to that.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Why does the one colleague care about the other one slacking?

If he is doing his job who cares if he is slacking or taking a long break. Just do your own job.
!!! THE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION !!!

It's amazing how much people care about how other people do their work even if it doesn't effect theirs in any fucking way.

We had these complains in our office so often you wouldn't believe.

In my opinion people that complain about such a thing deserve to be rationalized by a company that one day replaces their job with an automatism.

Fucking idiots - and there are so many of them.... Company CEOs must be laughing their asses off.

Jito

Banned
Petty and childish. You sound like a shitty employer.

Not at all, people working in a bar should be focused on the customers, not their phones. You sound like a shitty employee if you think it's ok to stand on your phone whilst working in a bar.

Just set your phone to foreword to your desk phone or reception, easy right? I can remember when personal calls at work were frowned upon so I can see why a mobile phone ban would be used. Also how many people are posting on the Internet when they are supposed to be working? Entitlement of the younger generation is running unchecked.
Yea I remember the glory days before cell phones when I was sitting in the school office trying to reach my mom for two hours while projectile vomiting everywhere.

Not at all, people working in a bar should be focused on the customers, not their phones. You sound like a shitty employee if you think it's ok to stand on your phone whilst working in a bar.
Or just hire less shitty employees who don't need to have their phones taken away like they're on timeout. People acting like it's impossible to just fire someone.

Joni

It is just a symptom of a sliding division between work and home life. Those old people that can't use phones also don't check their mail at home.

CryptiK

Putting your phones before you go work in a bar isn't punishing. You should not be on your phone in that line of work.

This isn't some dictatorship or capital punishment he was forcing. Maybe if it was one of those office jobs where you pretty much choose your own work schedule and everybody is bud buds that would be kind of punishing.

Frame of reference. Bar vs office.
Giving my phone to my boss is not something I would ever do. Regardless, even if I didnt use it anyway its my phone and its in my pocket thats all they would have to worry about.

Have to do this in my office. The crazy thing is I have a lot of free time in the middle if my shift, so they let me have my vita/3ds.

There are certain jobs that would understandably require this. However, I have a parent with medical issues so I wouldn't be able to work one of those jobs and I don't trust that anyone would be able to reach me at my work number at all times.

Yeah, I would consider job hunting if this happened.

If it's an overall problem with many employees then it's a good decision but it's shit when an employer enforces policies based on one or two people. People should be doing their job and make use of anything that enables them to perform better and be focused on that alone during work hours. If many employees (not just a handful) are wasting time not doing their jobs and being distracted by their phone such as texts, games, social media, etc then such policies are good. If it's more of an isolated issue it should be dealt with on a case-by-case basis with warnings to the employee. Drafting policies based on a handful of bad employees is just being a shitty employer.

mcfly.JPG

Is this your co-worker?

How did people slack off before cellphones? Do people really think that slacking off won't happen with a cell removed?

Also, I tend to find that people who like to go around accusing people of such things have their own work performance issues and want to divert your attention to someone else.

Somnid

Productivity policing is always the wrong answer. If people are constantly on the phone they probably aren't in a position where they need to engage in their work. If they are getting their given work done give them more responsibility (and pay them more too). If they are actually failing at their given work then they might not be a good fit, talk to them about why they aren't getting stuff done and dismiss them if they can't improve. Employee's shouldn't be judged on how much time they put in, just how much they get done.

It is just a symptom of a sliding division between work and home life. Those old people that can't use phones also don't check their mail at home.

I guess those old people are not working for free. Biggest trick big business has pulled on employees is the out of work contact ability. Used to be that the company would give you a phone AND pay you extra for that. Now any shitty office job seems to expect it.

mcfly.JPG

Is this your co-worker?

How did people slack off before cellphones? Do people really think that slacking off won't happen with a cell removed?

Also, I tend to find that people who like to go around accusing people of such things have their own work performance issues and want to divert your attention to someone else.

She was on the verge of bring fired so she pulled the b-b-but "Sarah is always on her cell phone" card.

I couldn't do this. I have to have to have my phone in case there's an emergency.

Like, I'd literally have to refuse to do this as I have to have my phone.

You didn't die because of it, though. The school could have arranged hospital for you if it was really needed.

One of my college teachers had a mom who was incredibly ill. During his time, cellphones weren't present, so while he was out of the house, they kept calling and calling so he can spend some final moments with her.

He didn't get back until later that night, and she had already passed away.

When I got in a car accident, one of the people at the scene was able to call my parents before being taken to the hospital and put on a bunch of drugs. Had they not done so, my parents wouldn't have known where I was for a whole day.

People underestimate the usage of cell phones, and trying to ban them is like putting a tiny band aid on a bigger problem.

Just go buy a cheap pay as you go phone and give them that. Keep your real phone.

In a high security environment they'll make you empty your pockets and in all likelihood frisky you upon entering/leaving. If they catch you trying to conceal anything it will be treated as a breach of security. Could face being fired or possibly bought up on charges.

This is a seriously bad idea in these type of workplaces.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
This is not so much a matter of practicality (what if family emergency?) and more a matter of respect. If my company is going to treat me like a grade schooler, I'm finding another job.

This is not so much a matter of practicality (what if family emergency?) and more a matter of respect. If my company is going to treat me like a grade schooler, I'm finding another job.

This is how I'd see it too.

I have a business phone and a personal phone, and have both on me at all times. My personal phone is a different model though, so people can see when I'm on it at meetings and what not.

My office doesn't care as long as I'm not underperforming. Although once my manager asked me during a break at a training class if I was doing okay because I was checking my personal phone more often than usual.

That was the morning someone hit and ran my brother's car, so I was working on going through insurance and repair costs with the family, but it reminded me that people do notice those sorts of things and it's best to keep it to a minimum.

Unless this is some high security job where they are afraid of data theft or something like that, it is pretty stupid.

If someone is on their phone all the time, management should take it up with them and fix that instead of treating everyone like a kid.

Moff

as long as you do your job well and on time, no one should take your phone or block the internet or anything
if you are slacking, it should be handled individually, certainly not with something like that

I would definitely look for a new job if something like that happened at my place. I do a good job and I still want to stay in contact with my SO or browse GAF when I have a few minutes. it helps me vent a bit and I'll focus better after that.

M3d10n

That would mean I would not be able to access my Google and Microsoft accounts neither be able to access my bank account, since they are all set to use two factor authentication via SMS.

Anyway, if someone wants to slack, they will. Even if they have to just sit in front of the computer staring at the monitor doing nothing.

fixedpoint

Your bar sounds like a pleasant place that I'd like to visit. Whereabouts?

Davey Cakes

Productivity policing is always the wrong answer. If people are constantly on the phone they probably aren't in a position where they need to engage in their work. If they are getting their given work done give them more responsibility (and pay them more too). If they are actually failing at their given work then they might not be a good fit, talk to them about why they aren't getting stuff done and dismiss them if they can't improve. Employee's shouldn't be judged on how much time they put in, just how much they get done.
Excellent post.

A good employee will use discretion with the phone, and will not let it get in the way to the point of productivity loss when there's a workload to finish for the day.

We all manage ourselves differently. If a specific person is found to be overly distracted, then they should be put on phone probation or something.

Joni

I guess those old people are not working for free. Biggest trick big business has pulled on employees is the out of work contact ability. Used to be that the company would give you a phone AND pay you extra for that. Now any shitty office job seems to expect it.

And in return, it is no problem to check your personal mail at work.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Shameful management at your office.

Agreed. My self worth is too high to be treated like that 40+ hours a week.

rogue74

I hate companies that treat their employees like children.

Trust them to do their job. Don't take away phones or limit internet access. Will some slack off? Sure. Judge everyone on their work output. If an employee gets their job done and does it well, who cares if they browse the internet here and there? Conversely, why do you want an employee who sucks but is always on task?

I don't get it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Pretty shitty, I'd probably start looking around for a new job too in that situation. Not exactly a shining example of trusting your employees. Luckily I'm at a place where what counts is what I achieve, not whether or not I happen to browse GAF or check my phone for a few minutes here and there. No internet restrictions, nobody checking exactly what I'm doing at all times, etc. I'm simply trusted to do the job I was hired to do. That makes me a happier and, I believe, more productive employee in the long run.

amanset

Until you find a new job, make it clear to your boss that if you cannot use your phone during work hours then under no circumstances can work contact on you on said phone outside of work hours.

Faiz

They call your place of work and they reroute the call via extension to a room where you can talk discreetly and uninterrupted.

Nah, I'll take working in a relaxed atmosphere where no one cares if your family calls you on your cell when needed over this draconian bullshit any day. In a bar situation like yours it makes a little more sense - you have customers that need to be attended to, if you have an employee constantly banging around on head phones or sitting there slumped with his face in his phone, it's not good. But we don't all have an environment like that. We don't have customers, we have long term projects and as long as we are meeting milestones and deadlines it doesn't really matter.

darscot

I hate this lowest common denominator bullshit. Address the issue with the people that had the issue. I would never accept a blanket policy like that, I'm a responsible human being that does my job. If I'm inappropriate with my phone so be it but don't treat me like a child because someone else is a donkey.

They call your place of work and they reroute the call via extension to a room where you can talk discreetly and uninterrupted.

Somehow we as a society managed this for decades prior to everyone having cell phones.

What kind of job is this, OP? In a situation like the poster I quoted, you've got customer-facing employees playing on their phones and wearing headphones. It's not a good look, and I can see why implementing a "no phones" policy should be in effect. I don't know if they need to be confiscated, though.

If you're working in an office? There's should be some level of trust and results-oriented performance review, rather than a micromanagement of when someone is on their phone or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom