• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starting today you can import some of your Steam games into your GOG library

Eusis

Glad to have the fixed (?) version of SR2 this way!

And hopefully Witcher 3 shows up this way. Would like a physical PC copy sometime to go with Witcher 1 and 2 but I can just settle for grabbing a PS4 copy that way or something.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I wonder if having a larger library bogs it down?

Some have hundreds (myself) of games on Steam.

Others have thousands!

How many games do those that are having trouble have?

I only have 4 games on Steam and can't connect so it's not related.

RedSwirl

Awesome.

For a little while I've actually been re-buying some of my Steam games at GOG or Humble when on really low sales just to have them DRM-free. Not all games, just the important ones I feel I should be able to keep forever: System Shock, Deus Ex, Ghost Recon 1, stuff like that. Games with lots of mods and fan campaigns usually go in this category for me.

Edit: I guess this might convince a few more people to buy games on Steam -- the people who still preferred GOG for not having DRM. It also probably came to this because Humble has basically already been doing the same thing with a lot of games -- selling Steam codes along with DRM-free copies. Getting a Steam and GOG copy simultaneously is pretty much the same thing. I also imagine a lot of the games that are or will become eligible are games that are already DRM-free on Steam. People forget that a lot of Steam games, while they require Steam to install and patch, can be booted up completely outside Steam. Witcher 2 and 3 will eventually end up on there. With any hope we'll also get some Ubisoft games like Rayman Legends, Far Cry 2, and Prince of Persia 2008. Maybe even Assassin's Creed 1.

Coreda

they can delete it from your account and thus restrict you from downloading it again through gog servers. but the damage would probably be already done at that point, you'd have a "free" game. buying it from steam, use this gog connect to claim a drm-free version, refund it from steam.

They may as well just pirate it if they're so inclined. There's nothing to be gained particularly abusing it this way.

If you wanted to steal the games, I'm sure you can find them on file sharing sites fairly easily. It's more trouble to pay for a game, unlock it, and then refund it than it is to just go download it from somewhere.

Basically.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I kinda wish it would go the other way as well. I could really use Steam's cloud saving for The Witcher 3. Maybe GOG will implement cloud saving on their own?

I'd be legitimately shocked if that ever happened. GOG still has no mechanism for devs to provide keys to users despite the fact that a few games on the service come with keys as they still require them (which technically means they're not DRM-free, but that's neither here nor there).

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So I gave up after ten or so tries. It just hangs on "Give us a moment" for eternity.
"The API used for this process supports a limited amount of calls on any given day. You may be placed in a queue before your accounts are connected."

Tizoc

OK got it to link and now it shows 'Processing your request' I have over 1000 Steam games, how long does it usually take? :X

dr_rus

"The API used for this process supports a limited amount of calls on any given day. You may be placed in a queue before your accounts are connected."

It already said "Accounts connected", then it was saying "can't reach Steam service" for some time and now it just hangs on PROCESSING YOUR REQUEST... indefinitely with a spinner. Well, it's been ~2 hours on this already.

Harlock

"Due to exceedingly high demand this may take up to several days, please check back later. Thank you for your patience."

But its fine, nice thing GOG is doing.

Nooooooooooo I have to wait several days..... waiting sux mang.

Also just FYI to anyone you can get Nox for free on Origin, at least it was free yesterday.

Stiler

Several days for me....the heck, that seems a bit long.

Can someone tell me is Vampire: TMB included in this? I hope it's one of the games that carries over.

Pheace

Same here. They should update them servers.

Might have something to do with the Steam API only allowing 100k calls a day unless they make a special case for you.

That would resolve itself easily over time since atm it's just everyone hitting it at once, the only real problem being that they're only giving 5 days to redeem your games.

MUnited83

For you.
I wonder if having a larger library bogs it down?

Some have hundreds (myself) of games on Steam.

Others have thousands!

How many games do those that are having trouble have?

I don't think it's related at all, i managed to get my games redeemed just fine when this service went up and I have a absurd number of games

Zeeman

I managed to get in on this early before the servers went straight to hell. I hope they add the X-wing and TIE Fighter games; to my understanding, GOG has the best versions of those available, while Steam doesn't.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Those sly dogs. They can have people redeem games bought on Steam but their DRM-free mandate forbid the opposite from happening.

Qwark

I'm curious how this works, did GoG need an agreement with Steam to do this? Or is it just a connector to your Steam Library and it sees what you have and gives you the corresponding GoG versions?

Either way, very cool.

Pheace

Unprecedented.

Is it? This is basically the developers/publishers allowing GOG to activate duplicate copies of games people own, as long as they can prove they own them on Steam.

Strictly speaking Steam has been allowing devs/publishers to do this for years already, allowing them unlimited keys to use for whatever they want, including giving them to people who purchased their games on other places than Steam. And there's no 5 day limit on that either.

The only reason this can actually be done the way it is now (automated) is because Steam has an api system that allows third party websites to uniquely link/identify people and which games they own (on Steam).

I'm curious how this works, did GoG need an agreement with Steam to do this? Or is it just a connector to your Steam Library and it sees what you have and gives you the corresponding GoG versions?

My guess would be the latter. No need for Steam involvement here, beyond the use of their login system, which is open to all.

Tealmann

This isn't working for me at all
UZYtsVw.png

JakeD

ok after checking back all day, it worked for a few seconds, showed 14 games with a 5day counter on them. then they went away and it shows no games and that it might take several days.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
ok after checking back all day, it worked for a few seconds, showed 14 games with a 5day counter on them. then they went away and it shows no games and that it might take several days.

Same happened to me a moment ago. I retried and then it successfully added them to my library. Just try again later or tomorrow, you've got 5 days to add them anyway.

dr_rus

Worked finally: 4 GAMES ADDED TO YOUR LIBRARY!

A pity that I've actually re-bought in GOG most of what I have in Steam already LOL

Sorry, noob question: Are you giving up your Steam license for a GOG license or do you get to keep both?

You keep both. GOG is in no power to do anything to your Steam account. They only bind it to your GOG account to prevent infinite cloning, check what games you have, and give you applicable "discounts".

The problem at the moment is that they can't really check things anymore, since Valve prevents too many calls a day, though.

TSM

On one hand, cool DRM free versions on a different service in case things go wrong with steam somehow. On the other hand you apparently have to check in and manually redeem any new games in the future. It's not an automatic process.

You keep both. GOG is in no power to do anything to your Steam account. They only bind it to your GOG account to prevent infinite cloning, check what games you have, and give you applicable "discounts".

The problem at the moment is that they can't really check things anymore, since Valve prevents too many calls a day, though.

Ah, that's pretty cool then. Thanks for the answer ^^

Regginator

i finally got a confirmation that there were 4 eligible games, but when i wanted to finish the process it suddenly displays an error ("Due to exceedingly high demand this may take up to several days, please check back later. Thank you for your patience.", which is what i got earlier today as well) and the 4 eligible ones are nowhere to be found.

i finally got a confirmation that there were 4 eligible games, but when i wanted to finish the process it suddenly displays an error ("Due to exceedingly high demand this may take up to several days, please check back later. Thank you for your patience.", which is what i got earlier today as well) and the 4 eligible ones are nowhere to be found.

this just happened top me too. They must be having gremlins in the machinery!

_Ryo_

This is great. Id love to make easy DVD backups of my steam games without having to connect to steam to activate them again, I dont have internet at home so its really annoying when I dont have enough space and have to redownload. Also the library blocks steam so I cant download steam games there.

Regginator

this just happened top me too. They must be having gremlins in the machinery!

i did get a glimpse of when this importing is ending: 5 days. i hope the traffic or whatever is significantly less tomorrow or the day after, i wouldn't want to miss out on the drm-free versions of especially shadowrun.

i did get a glimpse of when this importing is ending: 5 days. i hope the traffic or whatever is significantly less tomorrow or the day after, i wouldn't want to miss out on drm-free versions.

me too. Its a very nice gesture. I have 7 games from that initial 20 so I am super happy - but here is hoping it works tomorrow lol

Top Bottom