• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starting today you can import some of your Steam games into your GOG library

YOUR ACCOUNTS ARE BEING CONNECTED
Due to exceedingly high demand this may take up to several days, please check back later. Thank you for your patience.

giphy.gif

YOUR ACCOUNTS ARE BEING CONNECTED
Due to exceedingly high demand this may take up to several days, please check back later. Thank you for your patience.

giphy.gif
Yep, I slept on it, woke back up this morning and it is still not connecting for me. Is it STILL getting hammered with requests this many hours later? That's crazy.

Yep, I slept on it, woke back up this morning and it is still not connecting for me. Is it STILL getting hammered with requests this many hours later? That's crazy.

That's not how it works. There is an hour at which Valve's counter resets. At that point they may automatically let through queued people, OR they may allow getting through again, but it's a set point of time. Once people broke the limit for the day, it won't go through even if you're the only person of the hour trying.

That's not how it works. There is an hour at which Valve's counter resets. At that point they may automatically let through queued people, OR they may allow getting through again, but it's a set point of time. Once people broke the limit for the day, it won't go through even if you're the only person of the hour trying.
Ok. I'm trying to wrap my head around this. I've never failed to log into Steam (unless there was a major outage), so I'm assuming you mean exceeding the limit from GoG's side? As in Steam can see all these requests coming from GoG's direction and is limiting them?

Ok. I'm trying to wrap my head around this. I've never failed to log into Steam (unless there was a major outage), so I'm assuming you mean exceeding the limit from GoG's side? As in Steam can see all these requests coming from GoG's direction and is limiting them?

Yes. GOG Connect is a registered third-party Steam service (to handle logging in and invisible libraries), so Valve obviously sees it's from them. Valve also limits these services by default to some number of calls a day, to basically avoid one way of DDoSing Steam.

Yes. GOG Connect is a registered third-party Steam service (to handle logging in and invisible libraries), so Valve obviously sees it's from them. Valve also limits these services by default to some number of calls a day, to basically avoid one way of DDoSing Steam.
Cool, that makes sense.

Hope I can get in before these games expire in 5 days then.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Got my games. 3 were listed as part of the program but I had already double dipped to get the GOG version.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Cool, that makes sense.

Hope I can get in before these games expire in 5 days then.

Your games won't expire in 5 days until GoG sees them. If GoG SEES them you'll be able to redeem instantly on GoG side, with no issues from Steam.

It's completely on GoG. Keep checking GoG until they have your Steam library "seen" and eligible.

Your games won't expire in 5 days until GoG sees them. If GoG SEES them you'll be able to redeem instantly on GoG side, with no issues from Steam.

It's completely on GoG. Keep checking GoG until they have your Steam library "seen" and eligible.
But it says you have 5 days to redeem these games. On the main connect page.

EDIT:

How long will these games be eligible?

Duration will vary from game to game – the time left to redeem each game is shown on its respective product icon above.

(Which is 5 days)

TheSeks

But it says you have 5 days to redeem these games. On the main connect page.

EDIT:

How long will these games be eligible?

Duration will vary from game to game – the time left to redeem each game is shown on its respective product icon above.

(Which is 5 days)

...Which is what I'm saying.

ONCE GoG SEES THEM that's when you have to worry about the time limit. You connecting your account and not seeing anything doesn't start that timer. It's on GoG's end to talk to Steam to see which games to give you those 5 days for. Once they know which games you're eligible for, they'll give you five days to redeem

...Which is what I'm saying.

ONCE GoG SEES THEM that's when you have to worry about the time limit. You connecting your account and not seeing anything doesn't start that timer. It's on GoG's end to talk to Steam to see which games to give you those 5 days for. Once they know which games you're eligible for, they'll give you five days to redeem

Where are you seeing a timer starting mentioned? I'm reading it as, these games will be up for redemption for the next 5 days and then they will be gone. Confusing.

TheSeks

Where are you seeing a timer starting mentioned? I'm reading it as, these games will be up for redemption for the next 5 days and then they will be gone. Confusing.

It's misworded. The redeeming won't shutdown in 5 days (otherwise why would they implement this after doing it for Stalker and the Witcher before it?). If their servers were hammered for 5 days straight, nobody would be able to redeem. It makes sense that the timer for your account(s) being linked won't start until GoG can look through your Steam account see what you have and then tell you "okay, here's what you can redeem. You have FIVE DAYS to do that."

Exentryk

Don't think I'll ever need to use this, because I only buy games on Steam when I can't buy them on GOG (as in the developer never put them on GOG), but it's good to see GOG offering this service.

It's misworded. The redeeming won't shutdown in 5 days (otherwise why would they implement this after doing it for Stalker and the Witcher before it?). If their servers were hammered for 5 days straight, nobody would be able to redeem. It makes sense that the timer for your account(s) being linked won't start until GoG can look through your Steam account see what you have and then tell you "okay, here's what you can redeem. You have FIVE DAYS to do that."
Ok, I hope you're right.

Backlogger

So earlier I saw the games I was eligible for, clicked redeem and they weren't added to my GOG library and they don't show up anymore as eligible.

This thing is awesome, but very buggy...

Pheace

It's not misworded, the games that are available for redeeming will change over time. Says so right in the announcement:

While GOG Connect will stick around, the available games will come and go.

It's not misworded, the games that are available for redeeming will change over time. Says so right in the announcement:
This is what I thought too. I really hope I'm able to get in and redeem my games before they expire. Has CDPR/GoG management commented on anything?

Pheace

This is what I thought too. I really hope I'm able to get in and redeem my games before they expire. Has CDPR/GoG management commented on anything?

Just that popularity is overflowing the service, I wouldn't worry about it too much, every day there should be less and less people trying to get through (since they'll have done it already)

Mithos

ok after checking back all day, it worked for a few seconds, showed 14 games with a 5day counter on them. then they went away and it shows no games and that it might take several days.

Yeah this is what happened to me today, it connected the accounts and found games, "5 days icon" on them and poff gone.

However, WHEN the game (if it does) show up again with that 5 days icon, what do I do then?

I was able to link my account, but I get this.
Guess I'll come back tomorrow and check again.

Mivey

It's weird: It already has shown me the stuff that is eligible, but when I click the Import button, it hangs itself. That can't be on the Steam API, right? At that point it already has the info it needs, but it just does nothing, forcing me to refresh, which means I have to start from 0. Limits or no, this seems like quite an amateurish implementation on part of GOG.

dr_rus

It's weird: It already has shown me the stuff that is eligible, but when I click the Import button, it hangs itself. That can't be on the Steam API, right? At that point it already has the info it needs, but it just does nothing, forcing me to refresh, which means I have to start from 0. Limits or no, this seems like quite an amateurish implementation on part of GOG.
You should receive email when they'll be added as if you've bought them for free. If you haven't then try adding them again.

Mivey

You should receive email when they'll be added as if you've bought them for free. If you haven't then try adding them again.

Finally worked, not that I was doing anything different. I guess it's going to get better once things settle a bit. If not, GOG should try to negotiate something with Valve, where they can get higher daily limits.

TheSeks

lol. Says I have no eligible games despite having like 3-4 to allow. GoG please.

wazoo

I was not able to it yesterday. Went ok today with import today. I am sure things are good now and can only improve.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
lol. Says I have no eligible games despite having like 3-4 to allow. GoG please.

That sucks.

I had 8 games added, so that's a start for me. It says to check each time new games are added so I guess as long as you're around for the redemption period you can add them, if not, you're SOL?

Nordicus

Got my games. Funnily enough, one of them was Witcher 1, which GOG had previously failed to register multiple times with the general Witcher 1&2 GOG back-up page. Better late than never.

randomkid

keep getting "no eligible games found" despite shadowrun returns sitting right there

do you have to make your steam profile public or something? don't really wanna do that.

keep getting "no eligible games found" despite shadowrun returns sitting right there

do you have to make your steam profile public or something? don't really wanna do that.

It's not mentioned in the FAQs, but it wouldn't be surprising. Valve's wording about Steam Web API suggests something like this.

Looks like they've added Surgeon Simulator 2013 to the list of games it works to connect. Wasn't there when I linked yesterday at least.

Top Bottom