• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starwars Battlefront doesn't have voice chat on console either

Isn't this how they're selling emotes? So you can communicate through the "Ion Shock" gesture? They're incentivized to cut features so they can sell you alternative ones.

That said, I only ever use party chat anyways.

I really hope this is implemented before / shortly after launch. Although if it is a decision to keep the game "PG" then I cannot see it being reversed unfortunately. :/

FyreWulff

wait..i was ok with this not being in pc..but how can you exclude this on console...silly

Because data shows almost everyone is in party chat instead of game chat.

Because data shows that you can save your game bandwidth overhead by not reduplicating functionality, taking away bandwidth you could have used for game state messages. Voice chat is not free in terms of bandwidth.

The limit of 8 people and whatever it is on the One is a first party issue, not a developer's issue, and it can be increased later.

Anyone who played Halo 3 on 360 can tell you that party chat killed off social chat. It came out almost halfway through that game's "run" and proximity chat died overnight.

Then Reach shipped with options to mass-block social chat.

Then Halo 4 shipped with no ability to hear the other team at all.

Destiny shipped with no social chat whatsoever and when they added it in after everyone complained about it.. nobody fucking uses it.

Voice chat isn't unavailable, it's right there in the OS.

JPS Kai

Because data shows almost everyone is in party chat instead of game chat.

Because data shows that you can save your game bandwidth overhead by not reduplicating functionality, taking away bandwidth you could have used for game state messages. Voice chat is not free in terms of bandwidth.

The limit of 8 people and whatever it is on the One is a first party issue, not a developer's issue, and it can be increased later.

Anyone who played Halo 3 on 360 can tell you that party chat killed off social chat. It came out almost halfway through that game's "run" and proximity chat died overnight.

Then Reach shipped with options to mass-block social chat.

Then Halo 4 shipped with no ability to hear the other team at all.

Destiny shipped with no social chat whatsoever and when they added it in after everyone complained about it.. nobody fucking uses it.

Voice chat isn't unavailable, it's right there in the OS.

The problem I see, is if you're trying to coordinate objectives with your teammates or build camaraderie, are you going to invite all 19 other members of your squad to a party chat at the start of every match?

Walshicus

The problem I see, is if you're trying to coordinate objectives with your teammates or build camaraderie, are you going to invite all 19 other members of your squad to a party chat at the start of every match?

Given that almost nobody uses game-chat anymore, what does it matter? People stick to their parties...

Not sure the answer to the second question, but the first is a really good question. I could definitely see Disney make this suggestion / demand to avoid any blowback when the shitheads curse and demean the kids.
I don't see any other reason why DICE wouldn't include voice chat unless it was a directive from above to exclude it.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
If you're going to remove voice chat then AT LEAST have the foresight to have comprehensive and easy to use objective marking.

You dont even need a million options for team commands

You just need to be able to say

1) attack point X (and put a market on it)
2) defend point X (and put a marker on it)
3) attackers from this direction
4) focus this target
5) great job
6) thanks

Kureransu

I'm totally a fan of in game chat, but playing in playing monster huner (on WiiU of all systems), My friends i played with all told me they never talk unless they are with people they know. I know it can be toxic, with kids shouting every racial slur they can once a game starts (COD is good for this), But i'm all about communication.

At the same time, I do play LoL so i know that pings can get the job done if they have an intricate system.

Actually thinking about it, there can be a dissonance in chat with so many players/ varying objectives being taken at the same time, but i still think they should let the players figure out a proper line of communication through voice.

oh well.

NickFire

I don't see any other reason why DICE wouldn't include voice chat unless it was a directive from above to exclude it.

I have to agree with you. After playing the beta, I cant fathom how Dice would think it makes sense to take out voice chat when strategy is so key to things like Walker Assault.

pants

I can understand 'meh i dont care', but people going 'good' are a fucking species of gamer I dont even want to know.

etta

my hard graphic balls
12 year old racist spewing out of your tv speakers?

Speaking of which how the hell do you turn that off in BF4. If I am not wearing a headset then i really do not want to here any chatter coming out of my tv that i cannot participate in.

Are you serious?

"Oh thank god they disabled the chat feature altogether so that I don't have to hear whiny kids and asshole adults which constitutes probably no more than 30% of the population."

There's individual mute for that, or implement a "mute all" like Black Ops 3 did.

Top Bottom