• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starwars Battlefront doesn't have voice chat on console either

sjay1994

And people making excuses as to why this is a good thing. This game is a severely striped down version of BF4 and all i see is people defending all these shitty decisions.

I remember when the game was announced until they actually showed footage, people complained that the game was just going to be "battlefield with a star wars skin"

Now people are complaining its "stripped down battlefield"

I'm confused.

I remember when the game was announced until they actually showed footage, people complained that the game was just going to be "battlefield with a star wars skin"

Now people are complaining its "stripped down battlefield"

I'm confused.

I never complained. Its what i wanted. Why else would i want Dice to make a SW game? Certainly not to noobify it and strip it from everything that BF3-4 does well.

joecanada

I've always felt that game isn't hardcore unless you can be called a f***** or a n***** in it.

I guess people just respond here but don't actually play battlefield. you can just switch to whatever squad you want, it takes literally 5 seconds.

You can also create your own squad and lock it.

what you are describing can only happen if you want it to.

it's stripping of a great feature, pure and simple.

sjay1994

I never complained. Its what i wanted. Why else would i want Dice to make a SW game? Certainly not to noobify it.

So why are you surprised? Because DICE kept saying the game wasn't going to be Star Wars Battlefield.

And 2, of course its going to be a casual game. Its fucking Star Wars, one of the most known brands, with a big movie coming up. Do you really think they are solely trying to appeal to the hardcore battlefield fanbase? They want casual players to buy the game.

This is not the game you were looking for (pun not intended)

PhineasRed

Neo Member
I'm nearly always in party chat myself, but if I'm playing solo sometimes I really enjoy the musing of randoms and would hate to not have that option.

There may be less random chatting in general this generation, but that's hardly an excuse to do away with it. One recent game where the chatting with randoms seemed back on par with the early days of live is gears of war remastered. I joined a team of randoms and within minutes we were working as a team and laughing at each other and the other teams. The best part was that one of my teammates sounded just like scooter from borderlands.

I seriously can't wrap my head around people who would think not having this option is a good thing.

Madness

I swear the people saying it doesn't matter. Can you seriously self reflect. You're literally saying because you don't use said feature, it should be removed even for the guys who do.

Have 12 friends to chat with in party? Good for you. Keep doing it. Don't want to hear the hypothetical racist 12 year old, go into settings and mute all. But ffs, let those of use who want to communicate with the people on our team in objective based games, have the ability to do so. If it's not important to you, it's not important. But it's important to a great many people. I've been playing Gears Ultimate, Destiny, and I have yet to hear annoying kids again like it got during the latter half of the 360 lifespan. Most are just regular gamers who chat.

Even worse is, in huge games like this, proximity chat works best. So that you don't hear every guy on the team talking, but the 5ish people closest to you. See a guy enter your base? Quickly warn those around you. Want to push for the closest objective tell your team etc.

So why are you surprised? Because DICE kept saying the game wasn't going to be Star Wars Battlefield.

And 2, of course its going to be a casual game. Its fucking Star Wars, one of the most known brands, with a big movie coming up. Do you really think they are solely trying to appeal to the hardcore battlefield fanbase? They want casual players to buy the game.

I remember them saying they weren't going to copy the original Battlefront games. Im ok with them not copying everything BF4. But man, they left out so many things that could only benefit this game, like: Squads, Giving orders, vehicles that are not powerups, etc. Changing things just to change them isnt good design. Noobs will play the game regardless if theres a squad feature or not, and im 100% sure that casuals who can chat with random squad members arent going to fucking complain about it. You dont have to strip everything in the game to make it accessible. Thats a horrible way to do it.

Yes, BF4 can be intimidating. I get that. But theres other ways to make a game easy to play without stripping it of everything thats useful.

There are amazing games out there that are easy to pickup but hard to master. Those are usually the best games. They dont just remove everything from them cause casuals might play...

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I remember playing the original Battlefront about 10 years ago and listening to a kid have an extended argument with his mom over some homework. The original Xbox voice mics were really sensitive. We are losing our history. RIP.

I remember playing the original Battlefront about 10 years ago and listening to a kid have an extended argument with his mom over some homework. The original Xbox voice mics were really sensitive. We are losing our history. RIP.

Oh man, you just reminded me of voice masks on the OG xbox live. You could change your voice to sound like a baby, etc. lol god those were the days

Really makes me mad. 'Hey because I don't use thing, turn it off for everyone else'. For fucks sake, if you don't use voice chat, don't use voice chat. Click mute all and stick to party chat. But hey, let's just fuck over everyone else who might want to use it.

But looking at games that do support it, most people either don't use a mic or are in party chats anyway.

At some point it has to reach a point where devs say "Hardly anyone uses this, why include it?"

Oh man, you just reminded me of voice masks on the OG xbox live. You could change your voice to sound like a baby, etc. lol god those were the days

PS3 lets you change your voice, can go really high pitched like been breathing helium, or deep lie Jabba the Hutt. Or anywhere in between.

I think it's silly to cut this out. I will admit that I, myself never use the voice chat in a multiplayer game anymore. I still think it's silly to cut this out while also preaching in the multiplayer mode descriptions that "Communication is vital".

It's really probably not a big deal, but it just seems weird to not have it. The problems comes up when, what if you have more than 8 players(On PS4) in a game of Walker Assault? How are they all supposed to communicate? The PS4 doesn't support more than 8 in a party chat correct? If it does support more, then unless the real number supported is higher than the max team size possible in the game, there will be issues with it.

I suppose you could all Skype or something, but that's starting to get a little excessive in my opinion when every other multiplayer shooter out there supports voice chat.

This is all wrong!

Playing MGO over the last week or so and I have had only 2 people have a decent conversation over in game chat by luck. Probably 40-50 people I had to mute because of... •excessive retardation... •background noise and them not talking...

So; I'm not mad at all at them doing this, because I have party chat with my friends...

BUT!

I've met these people online through in game chat. So this can't be justified. This is like taking out the charging cable for a system (lol 3DS) before a year on the market!

It doesn't make sense.

dumbo

There's an interesting question - how many "casual" star wars fans, who own XB1/PS4/gaming PCs are looking for a casual, team-based, online-only, objective-based, shooter? (and aren't fans of existing team-based, online-only, objective-based shooters?)

And the other quirk is that previous Star Wars games weren't really 'casual'. Tie fighter, x-wing, the jedi knights, kotor etc.

At this point, all we can do is sit back and watch what happens - it's going to be interesting.

FyreWulff

It's almost like telemetry has shown that the amount of people using non-party chat isn't notable across the entire industry..

AttamisZero

Neo Member
Only time I hear kids whinning etc, is when I get randomly invited to a party chat. But I do use in game voice chat when I hear someone trying to coordinate something.

Voice chat is not necessary to be invested or even enjoy online play.

The first MP game I ever got properly invested in was MW2 and I never used a mic. I've since played many, many online games and the only one I've ever actually used a mic on was Destiny.

Nothing useful comes through public chat anymore because everyone who is playing with their friends is using private chat or just doesn't talk. Go on games that DO have voice chat and nobody's using it, except people who have left their Kinect on as a mic or something similar on PS4. The remainder is kids, people listening to music, or douches who just shout abuse at you.

To be fair. I don't think a parent buying this game for their young child would be happy to hear the N-word, the F-word or generally have their kid being cussed out coming through the speakers.

Not defending it. I think there should be some form of in game chat. But honestly I rarely talk to randoms when I play online. There is a rare occasion I'll use my mic when playing COD with randoms but other times I'm partied up with my buddies and we just shoot the shit while we each play different games.

This was precisely my point. People who have been online gaming consistently for 10 years or more don't need public chat, because they have fleshed out friends lists.

So...what about gamers who are just starting out? How did you originally form your friend lists? Probably building a community playing with randoms in your first few online games. After Destiny, and now this, it's kind of scary to see AAA publishers go further and further catering exclusively to core users and completely ignoring the possibility of new adopters.

The industry should be trying to be more inclusive. Hardcore gamers stepping into others shoes once in a while might give them a better perspective on decisions like this.

MilkyJoe

Lol wtf. Why did they exclude it?

12 year old racist spewing out of your tv speakers?

Speaking of which how the hell do you turn that off in BF4. If I am not wearing a headset then i really do not want to here any chatter coming out of my tv that i cannot participate in.

Mista

Banned
It doesn't matter to me honestly because im always on a private party with the boys but wow, so "next-gen"!

But I do use in game voice chat when I hear someone trying to coordinate something.

Yup. And I'm somebody who mainly plays solo and will jump in to games for spurts. It was nice to have it so I could occasionally run in to somebody to work with.

The party chat defense is silly. I'm supposed to just send out a bunch of requests and invite and bunch of random people every game to my party chat? No thank you

Instro

As I mentioned in the PC thread, terrible decision. Can't believe people just hand wave this kind of thing because they don't use public chat.

Jito

Banned
Don't like, don't buy it. Vote with your wallet if it offends you that much.

Though the game is going to sell like hotcakes and be good so you're little protest means nothing ;D

MADGAME

I don't like the decision to exclude in-game chat, but I liked the game enough to not allow it to be a deterrent of purchase. It does cause an inconvenience of utilizing other resources to meet amicable people to play with. Using forums, communities, etc. can sometimes be a chore, and you don't get the vocal interaction you do from in-game chat to make the initial assessment if the person is someone fun to play with.

PrinceKee

This is just ridiculous and I hope this isn't setting a precedent. You have a team based game with no voice chat. Yes, a lot of people use party chat. But, some of us when we aren't using like the option to hopefully get in a game with randoms and strategize. In the Rainbow 6 beta I met a lot of randoms and we planned and worked together. I don't have any friends that are actually getting Battlefront at launch so this sucks. No voicechat in the beta also led to so many slaughters in Walker Assault for the Rebels...

I've always felt that game isn't hardcore unless you can be called a f***** or a n***** in it.

I try not to let a few bad apples ruin my experience. I really miss the days of chatting it up in lobbies before a match starts. lack of voice chat really ruined destiny pvp for me I really hate this trend of no open mic chat.

Always ahead of the curve. People living in the past.

Yay the future is here and I am now forced to party up with randoms who will create an awkward chat by making rape jokes and indiscriminately calling whoever happens to be online a fag woo hoo

It's a pretty basic function and there's a reason it has been included in games for ages, please get real ok

Neo Member
To be honest nobody uses voice chat correctly in the first place, what's the big deal? party chat is still there

Yay the future is here and I am now forced to party up with randoms who will create an awkward chat by making rape jokes and indiscriminately calling whoever happens to be online a fag woo hoo

It's a pretty basic function and there's a reason it has been included in games for ages, please get real ok
Wait. I'm confused or rather you seem to be. This makes it so you don't and can't do that and instead "party up" with your friends. Also I was joking.

"I never liked this feature thats been a cornerstone for online multiplayer anyway and so I can't fathom anyone else in the universe ever pulling any possible enjoyment from public voice chat"

-The thread.

Ignoring that everyone supporting DICE's "vision" on this would have their concerns 100% addressed by just having Opt in/Opt out as an option in the menus. Seriously disappointed at the people supporting or going out of their way to justify this decision.

Dabanton

I enjoy voice chat yes even with randoms especially if we're in a mode that has some element of teamwork involved. This is embarrassing for DICE, how can BF4 have voice chat from the off and this doesn't?

There is no way they will ship this without adding chat right? Now that this is getting traction they will add it right?? Right GAF???

"I never liked this feature thats been a cornerstone for online multiplayer anyway and so I can't fathom anyone else in the universe ever pulling any possible enjoyment from public voice chat"

-The thread.

Ignoring that everyone supporting DICE's "vision" on this would have their concerns 100% addressed by just having Opt in/Opt out as an option in the menus. Seriously disappointed at the people supporting or going out of their way to justify this decision.
I try my best. ;)

NickFire

How do we know this was even DICE? Does Disney Infinity have voice chat?

Not sure the answer to the second question, but the first is a really good question. I could definitely see Disney make this suggestion / demand to avoid any blowback when the shitheads curse and demean the kids.

Top Bottom