• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starwars Battlefront doesn't have voice chat on console either

gossi

Are there pings and presets available, so that people can communicate with each other without needing voice chat?

You can press up, left and right on the D-Pad. But they're useless - for example up says something like "Good job!". Also can only be heard if you're standing next to the person. In Battlefield 3 and 4 you can say "Defend this objective" and mark the objective, however none of that here.

JMizzlin

This is pretty bad but tbh I haven't used game chat since the party chat system launched on X360 way back when.

I think it'll be ok. If Splatoon can survive then Battlefront can too.

I haven't had a good voice chat experience with randoms since the launch of the 360. I can't remember the last time I actually heard anyone use the voice chat in any game with some purpose, at best it's audio static/background noise. Nothing was lost.

I understand that the decision has been made for kids but first, doesn't the Starwars target audience is a little older than Splatoon's target audience?

And secondly, when playing the game you have to kill enemies so I'm not sure why it would be ok to kill people but not to hear curse words... but hey it's America I guess.

IIRC Starwwars PEGI's rating is 12 and Splatoon's is 7

RedAssedApe

Banned
how does chat work in battlefield? i thought you could only communicate with squad members or people in your party? in this game you have like a partner or something, can you not chat with them at least? if so i dont see a problem with it.

beyond a certain number of players, chat normally becomes useless and more distracting than anything when playing with randoms.

I haven't had a good voice chat experience with randoms since the launch of the 360. I can't remember the last time I actually heard anyone use the voice chat in any game with some purpose, at best it's audio static/background noise. Nothing was lost.

This.

I played the beta with a friend and we were in a party. The rest of the time I was on my own. I haven't heard people talk in a game in years to be fair.

Cday

Banned
Don't pretend that people actually use voice chat in public games to the benefit of the game experience. Developers have tried to encourage team play by allowing you to spawn on certain players or in vehicles that are already manned, but in practice it's mainly used for the convenience of the individual player. These games boil down to the individual efforts of one team outweighing the other. One team happens to win because it's contrived to be that way. The playerbase is hopeless. They might as well disable the ability to see and track your teammates altogether and save their servers the pointless stress of transmitting that data to the extra players that do not use it. Their teammates. Then it really would be you vs. the "other team" because that's what it is anyway.

Even party chat would make little sense with a game like this when you have 40 people running around and quick spawns.

The game (and especially that mode) would definitely benefit from proximity chat.

I can't believe anyone could think otherwise.

Fat4all

Banned
I don't want to hear a 12-year old voice coming out of Vader.

Unless that 12-year old sounds like James Earl Jones.

dumbo

how does chat work in battlefield? i thought you could only communicate with squad members or people in your party? in this game you have like a partner or something, can you not chat with them at least? if so i dont see a problem with it.

No, you can't chat with anyone. On PC you can type in the chat window, although the game is a bit too fast paced to type a message (or for anyone to read it really).

But, the game is a very casual title that is not supposed to have a strategic/tactical level. There is no chat, no map, no team-work, no comm-rose etc. It's just "go out and shoot stuff".

If there's a problem it's that the game has objectives - which seems to run counter to the rest of the design.

patapuf

Even party chat would make little sense with a game like this when you have 40 people running around and quick spawns.

The game (and especially that mode) would definitely benefit from proximity chat.

I can't believe anyone could think otherwise.

There was a time when DICE had a system with squads. Squads had voice chat for each other and squad leaders did for their squad and other squad leaders.

For some reason they canned this a long time ago.

Klossen

Banned
So basically an online game with no chance of actually communicating with other players? If voice chat is so annoying, just give an option to mute it entirely. Don't remove it from the entire game. I've met a lot of cool people in random games in my days.

gossi

Public voice chat kind of died when the 360 introduced party chat.

Maybe it's a regional thing, but I don't usually use party chat and I always hear (and engage in) voice chat in games. Forza matches almost always have voice chat people, as does Elder Scrolls Online. It's normally pretty constructive, too.

Opt1kon_

Not really bothered by it, I Don't remember the last time I've actually used in game VC, I normally use the party chat when playing games with friends

speedomodel

Ah, shit. I was looking forward to the inevitable person who leaves their mic on and have that wonderful blend of static, mother screaming to take out trash, baby crying, humming, whistling and more static. It makes the experience for me for sure.

Good news.

Freeman76

Wise decision, last thing I want is my Star Wars immersive reality of me being Luke Skywalker single handedly taking on the entire Imperial army being ruined by some 10 year old screaming how this isn't as good as Call of Duty

It would be kind of chaotic for the 20v20 mode seeing how there isn't a squad system, but that doesn't make it acceptable to exclude when there are modes that run a manageable amount of people.

SummitAve

Banned
The game seems designed towards individual play, and there's plenty of ways to effectively communicate if you are motivated enough to team up that don't require the game to have voice chat either. No issue.

whitehawk

Banned
Since party chat took off on xbox i've never heard more then a handful of people talk in online games, and when they do it's an insult or moaning about being on a poor team.

After playing the beta I think the game is suited enough to be played to a fair degree without voice chat.
Yup, party chat killed online chat, even if I do like party chat at the same time.

Games need playlists that require a microphone, or have a setting thatvtriednto match you with chatty people. Crackdown 1 actually had this option. It asked if you liked to play silent, or liked to talk.

Battlefield has fireteams. You can talk to anyone in your fireteam of 5 players.
this is why this isnt that surprising. Battlefield has never had open voice chat due to the size of the matches, and battlefront doesnt have squads, only partners.

Its not surprising that there is no open voice chat, however they shouldve did squad chat like battlefield instead of the partner thing.

joecanada

No, you can't chat with anyone. On PC you can type in the chat window, although the game is a bit too fast paced to type a message (or for anyone to read it really).

But, the game is a very casual title that is not supposed to have a strategic/tactical level. There is no chat, no map, no team-work, no comm-rose etc. It's just "go out and shoot stuff".

If there's a problem it's that the game has objectives - which seems to run counter to the rest of the design.

if you don't communicate your team is crap. unless you mean battlefront is different than all other battlefield titles as I haven't played BFront yet.

in battlefield traditional titles any team with formed squads would easily win, my friend and I could wreck whole games with just one squad who was working together, and we aren't even "good" by any means.

Pretty nuts for a game with such a heavy focus on objective based modes. Thankfully I'm getting it on PC so it won't be much of a problem. Although Splatoon seems to be doing fine for the most part and that seems really objective and teamplay heavy.

Mossybrew

Gold Member

Yep. I always mute voice chat. I don't want to listen to random people talk when I'm playing a game.

Who cares. One less step to start enjoying the game. I don't have to mute everyone.

No one uses this crap anyway. I haven't been in a game's version of voice chat since Call of Duty 4. Never used voice chat on PS3 because most people didn't... And have always used party chat in PS4.

Josh378

I demand my Ewok skin!!! I want to walk around and kill ppl with my Ewok and then do an Ewok laugh when i kill someone up close (one can only dream).

ReaperXL7

people using party chat over in game chat makes plenty of sense to me for a bunch of reasons. It easily cuts down on the amount of potential harassment you have to deal with.

Top Bottom