• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STASIS |OT| An isometric sci-fi horror adventure game inspired by Alien & Sanitarium

Is there missable areas in the game? Went to the morgue instead of
getting on the tram
and I'm wondering if I need to solve whatever it is with
the furnace and the dirty wet towel
before venturing on, or I just come back here anyway.

If I remembering right,
you will need to open up the furnace and run out of there quickly before you burn to death. This will melt the ice in the morgue and I think the slabs will open. There is something on one of the slabs that you need for the tram.

I watched someone play the whole game on youtube (I know, I know), and from what I saw I would have to agree with your opinion. I almost wish it was a full 3D game and had more characters, but it was amazing what was done with such as small team.
But it being full 3D or 2D doesn't inherently change the quality of the game. It'd still have the same writing, same voice acting, same puzzles etc.

I respect what the devs have done here; it's inspired me to try getting familiar with the engine/framework they used for my own pursuits, and if nothing else serves as a testament to what that engine/framework can handle. I've barely scratched the surface of the game myself but I don't regret buying the thing; there's something wholesome and oddly comforting in the way it's been built and presented that making it a full-blown 3D release would have lost.

That being said anything is possible with a sequel or spiritual follow-up.

But it being full 3D or 2D doesn't inherently change the quality of the game. It'd still have the same writing, same voice acting, same puzzles etc.

I respect what the devs have done here; it's inspired me to try getting familiar with the engine/framework they used for my own pursuits, and if nothing else serves as a testament to what that engine/framework can handle. I've barely scratched the surface of the game myself but I don't regret buying the thing; there's something wholesome and oddly comforting in the way it's been built and presented that making it a full-blown 3D release would have lost.

That being said anything is possible with a sequel or spiritual follow-up.
I believe the dev wants to do a cyberpunk noir game

Destructoid review - 9.5/10
http://www.destructoid.com/review-stasis-308755.phtml
STASIS is one of the most memorable experiences I've had from gaming in quite a while. Some puzzles can be frustratingly obtuse, but the majority are a pleasure to solve. The game will take most people between six to ten hours to complete, depending on puzzle-solving skill, and just about every moment is sure to stick with the player in some way. STASIS is a game that is not to be missed by anyone craving an eerie and sinister experience.

Stimpack

Are there missable areas in the game? Went to the morgue instead of
getting on the tram
and I'm wondering if I need to solve whatever it is with
the furnace and the dirty wet towel
before venturing on, or if I just come back here anyway.

As far as I know, there isn't much that you can miss out on in your playthrough. It is rather straight-forward.

derFeef

Pretty great game so far, top notch atmosphere. Stuck at the
tram
but will keep on trucking tomorrow.

I wish I could somehow adjust resolution though. even if it would be upscaled.

WGMBY

I backed this way back during the KS, but I managed to forget it was coming out in the intervening time. Gotta carve out some time for this, it'll be the next thing I load up on my PC. The backlog just keeps growing and growing.

I played tons of adventure games back in the day but never got good at them, and that's rearing its head again now xD

Stuck at
biometric scanner for morgue I'm assuming? Any ideas? Also no idea what to do at the train, inside of it or how to get those wire panels off.

I played tons of adventure games back in the day but never got good at them, and that's rearing its head again now xD

Stuck at
biometric scanner for morgue I'm assuming? Any ideas? Also no idea what to do at the train, inside of it or how to get those wire panels off.
You should have a glass shard in your inventory. And the biometric scanner needs a handprint to work

Geist-

Hey guys, love the game so far, but now I'm stuck at the
clone vat. I took the drill to the electrical pole, then pried it up with the crowbar and now it has some exposed cables. The thing is, no matter what I do or whatever items I try to use on any item in any room between the tram and the clone vat, I just can't seem to continue.

Help would be appreciated.

Sp3ratus

Neo Member
clone vat. I took the drill to the electrical pole, then pried it up with the crowbar and now it has some exposed cables. The thing is, no matter what I do or whatever items I try to use on any item in any room between the tram and the clone vat, I just can't seem to continue.

Get the tape you took down, to enter the next room, after the tram fell down and tie it together with the crowbar.

Grab the Do Not Cross tape from near the tram crash, combine it with the crowbar to make a grapple hook, and drag the dead body that's in the vat towards you.

That should put you on the right track

This game has a remarkable atmosphere, one of the best in recent memory, which is saying something about an isometric game in 2015. That said, egads I wish there wasn't so much VO between the main character and that girl, spoils the feeling of isolation and negates a bit of the horror imo. The most effective parts are during silence.
That initial sighting of the vat and seeing all the semi formed bodies writhing around in it is some of the best bits of atmospheric horror I've seen in ages,
and I feel it's effective due to during its first sighting your character mostly shuts the hell up. Considering this is an indie game though, it's truly incredible what they've achieved here.

SparkTR

The game is definitely exceeding my expectations so far, and the pre-rendered visuals are amazing if slightly low res.

Salsa

man it's been years. cant believe its finally out

btw, think I can get it region free for like $15. if anyone wants me to help em with that let me know through pm

derFeef

Does anyone know where the savegames are located? I kinda want to play this on the go with my Surface as well. Or does GOG Galaxy support cloud saves?

blackw0lf

This game has a remarkable atmosphere, one of the best in recent memory, which is saying something about an isometric game in 2015. That said, egads I wish there wasn't so much VO between the main character and that girl, spoils the feeling of isolation and negates a bit of the horror imo. The most effective parts are during silence.
That initial sighting of the vat and seeing all the semi formed bodies writhing around in it is some of the best bits of atmospheric horror I've seen in ages,
and I feel it's effective due to during its first sighting your character mostly shuts the hell up. Considering this is an indie game though, it's truly incredible what they've achieved here.

Agreed. There are moments in the game where hearing the character reacting to the horror around him actually diluted the expeiece for me.

Again though its mind blowing what a small team has achieved here, with a small budget to boot.

RPGCrazied

So, I'm stuck near the beginning.

The room with the radio, I got the broken glass, and the rag from the bathroom. Can't seem to open the elevator, and the only other room has a pda that I've looked at a few times already.

The room with the radio, I got the broken glass, and the rag from the bathroom. Can't seem to open the elevator, and the only other room has a pda that I've looked at a few times already.
Need to reset the security alert. There's another room with storage tanks, have you checked out that area?

Like the poster above said,
reset the security alert. You need to falsify a leak. And you need the needle drill from the robotic arm to do so.

So I somehow missed Sanitarium on its release. Stasis was pretty great overall, maybe I should make some time this month for Sanitarium next?

I'll be playing SOMA on release too...not a P&C game, but loving the sci fi horror vibe this month.

So I somehow missed Sanitarium on its release. Stasis was pretty great overall, maybe I should make some time this month for Sanitarium next?

I'll be playing SOMA on release too...not a P&C game, but loving the sci fi horror vibe this month.

Absolutely, one of the best pnc games I played in the 90s (and I played a lot of em). Visuals obviously aren't as nice as Stasis' art and backgrounds but it's still great. It's on gog and steam iirc.

Absolutely, one of the best pnc games I played in the 90s (and I played a lot of em). Visuals obviously aren't as nice as Stasis' art and backgrounds but it's still great. It's on gog and steam iirc.

How Long To Beat is saying like 6-8 hrs to complete. Maybe I can squeeze it in on the weekend. I got through Stasis in a couple marathon sessions(well for me, marathon is anything over an hour or two now).

And it's definitely on GOG.

Pilgrimzero

Looks like this game may be to tough for me. I can't even get passed the first area. Have an empty syringe and a drill. Can't figure out what to do next.

If I can't even get passed the start, no idea how I'll figure out the more advanced stuff later.

doomquake

Played it a bit and got a refund.

It didn't have the classic Mark Morgan sound, sadly - very cliche modern teen horror music sometimes and I couldn't stand it. The ui is not the best imo - the mouse over text is at the bottom of the screen in tiny font, the computers you interact with are the same sized font but on colored and textures backgrounds. The animation is very amateurish, with no transitional animations for when you turn your character - not a huge problem for games that have low number of animation cycle frames but in this one there is a jarring imbalance. The voice over is excessive but only because the acting sounds off or like some voices were recorded in different rooms.

Nice try but I'll go with something else. And I don't get the marketing text: " STASIS is a point-and-click, sci-fi, horror adventure game played from a unique isometric perspective." Since when is isometric unique?

Tunahead

Played it a bit and got a refund.

It didn't have the classic Mark Morgan sound, sadly - very cliche modern teen horror music sometimes and I couldn't stand it. The ui is not the best imo - the mouse over text is at the bottom of the screen in tiny font, the computers you interact with are the same sized font but on colored and textures backgrounds. The animation is very amateurish, with no transitional animations for when you turn your character - not a huge problem for games that have low number of animation cycle frames but in this one there is a jarring imbalance. The voice over is excessive but only because the acting sounds off or like some voices were recorded in different rooms.

Nice try but I'll go with something else. And I don't get the marketing text: " STASIS is a point-and-click, sci-fi, horror adventure game played from a unique isometric perspective." Since when is isometric unique?

I think what that sentence is trying to get across is that point-and-click adventure games aren't typically played from an isometric perspective, not that STASIS invented the entire concept. You can kind of tell because the marketing text doesn't then go on to explain the term "isometric perspective" as though it were obviously something the reader had never heard of. Also there's like a dozen genres that typically feature isometric perspectives, most of them over a decade old, so it would be excessively vainglorious even for marketing lingo to try and make the claim of having invented it.

Draft

Loving Stasis. Cg backgrounds animating to life is one of my greatest gaming pleasures. When the tram arm extended I was like yes this rules.

Also nice butt bro.

Agremont

I've been stuck in the same place for a couple of days now. *sigh*

I won't give up though. I hate looking at hints for games like these.

SOME-MIST

dang, almost forgot about this game. I like what I saw a couple years ago, and I'm glad to see it has finally been completed.

I need to buy this next paycheck...

Corpekata

Banned
Just a heads up there's an progression bug if you play this game above 60 hz / FPS. So if you have a higher end monitor you'll need to find some way to force it down unless it gets patched.

epmode

Just a heads up there's an progression bug if you play this game above 60 hz / FPS. So if you have a higher end monitor you'll need to find some way to force it down unless it gets patched.
Without spoiling anything, what kind of bug is it?

Tried it a little and it's quite interesting so far.

Why is the text so tiny though -_-

Yeah probably the biggest oversight about it, and considering a lot of it is reading pda logs I can't understand why they don't include an option to increase it in settings. I sit about 5-8 feet away from my display (tv) and it's a heckuva strain trying to read everything, I've even started skipping some of them due to it. Needs a patch!

~Kinggi~

Banned
Yeah probably the biggest oversight about it, and considering a lot of it is reading pda logs I can't understand why they don't include an option to increase it in settings. I sit about 5-8 feet away from my display (tv) and it's a heckuva strain trying to read everything, I've even started skipping some of them due to it. Needs a patch!

Yeah im a comfy couch tv user too and its a bit tough on the eyes to read the text. Hoping to play some more this weekend. Launching at the same time of MGS V is a killer.

Yeah im a comfy couch tv user too and its a bit tough on the eyes to read the text. Hoping to play some more this weekend. Launching at the same time of MGS V is a killer.

Couch PC gaming is king :)

I'm holding off on MGS, bummed to hear how sparse the story is and how grindy it seems to be, not really the kind of game I'm looking for right now. Think my money for rest of September is going to Mario Maker and Soma.

Corpekata

Banned
Without spoiling anything, what kind of bug is it?

It's at the end of a puzzle solving sequence with some story moments after. The game doesn't load up the last segment of the story moments and just kind hangs there if you don't cap your refresh rate. Can't access menu or move mouse or anything, have to alt tab and kill the process.

elfinke

Picked this up on a bit of a whim, but also on the strength of a few words here and there. Helps it is nice and cheap too.

Having just completed The Fall and The Swapper, I think this will make for a nice follow-up! Any idea how long it is, approximately? HLTB doesn't have a proper entry just yet.

Top Bottom