• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Morbid Angel said:
This. WTF is going on? :(
They didn't state outright, but the Steam sale delayed it a bit. I could always buy it at GamersGate but the OCD in me wants it in my Steam files.

Seagoon said:
Steam seems to be the online community / storefront that PSN and XBL want to be someday.

One thing I'd like to see is a 'Made for Steam' type certification, games with this certification should have at the very least:
Steam Cloud support
Windows 7 x64 Compatible
Widescreen Support
Controller support
No Additional DRM
Cross Platform where possible

I guess something similar to the whole GFW program, but something that actually works :lol

There are quite a few games I would actually purchase if they stripped out the horrible third party DRM and limited activations. You don't need SecuROM or TAGES when your game is on Steam.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
DangerousDave said:
When there are the next sales? I waited to the last day to buy all the stuff that was not day of the deal, and I had to do overtime at work so I missed the opportunity.

Summer. =)

Psy-Phi

jaundicejuice said:
There are quite a few games I would actually purchase if they stripped out the horrible third party DRM and limited activations. You don't need SecuROM or TAGES when your game is on Steam.
I agree they're unnecessary but I understand companies not trying to change it. They'd have to implement Steam's DRM instead, which would mean extra licensing. Games that aren't steampowered you can just run the executable with Steam not even running much of the time (and especially when there's third party DRM). I play Fallout 3 frequently without Steam running for example.

If they just patched out the DRM they'd essentially give the internet an executable that the hackers strive for. No reason to make their lives easier.

And honestly I used to be in an uproar about TAGES and SecuROM, but I gave in last year and bought what I wanted without caring about what DRM the games used. Haven't had a single problem, even with the lamented Assassin's Creed 2. Works flawlessly, and I like knowing that my save is being backed up somewhere.

Sure I'd prefer the Steam Cloud, but I don't care which cloud it goes to, just so long as I can get it back.

Lan_97

So after getting a gaming laptop and getting owned by the Steam holiday sale, I'm in need of a PC gamepad. Any recommendations? I don't own a 360, but it looks like the 360 controller could be a reasonable choice.

ZZMitch

I can't get past the giant fan in half Life... I am pretty sure it is supposed to life me up to the boards up above, but it wont levitate me :(

graywolf323

Lan_97 said:
So after getting a gaming laptop and getting owned by the Steam holiday sale, I'm in need of a PC gamepad. Any recommendations? I don't own a 360, but it looks like the 360 controller could be a reasonable choice.

the wired 360 controller probably is the best one

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but could someone give me some advice on how to install add-ons in Garry's Mod ? I'm completely lost as to how to do it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Hey, Gamestop is selling some Digital Steam Works games at decent prices. I assume you get the CD key with them to active in steam like normal, but I haven't tried it yet.

Fallout New Vegas: $29.99 (retail too)
Just Cause 2: $14.99
Mount and Blade: Warband: $14.99
Puzzle Quest 2
Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days: $14.99
Front Mission Evolved (Retail only!): $14.99
Football Manager 2011(Retail only!): $19.99
Fear 2: $9.99
Unreal Tournament 3: $9.99

Sure, most of them were better deals during the sale, but in case you really want them now it is a way to get them cheaper. Fallout New Vegas should be as cheap as it come though.

Edit: Though looking at it, Amazon beats almost all those prices. Like they have Front Mission for $12.54: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BXJ85M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, I take it no one cares that Front Mission Evolved Retail is 75% off on Amazon and 70% off at Gamestop, and can be activated in Steam.

Forkball

The Logitech is good, but many games don't recognize it and force you to manually input the commands before you can use it. It's a hassle.

Anyways, Monday Night Combat comes out in about two weeks. I'm interested in it, but I'll wait a while to see everyone's impressions. Any other big releases for January?

IrishNinja

woo new thread!
my only regret on the last sale was not buying Vampire: Bloodlines, despite it being on sale every day according to GAF. :D

confused

Banned
IrishNinja said:
woo new thread!
my only regret on the last sale was not buying Vampire: Bloodlines, despite it being on sale every day according to GAF. :D

I'm pretty sure something like that was the origin of the legend that it ever went on sale. I refuse to BELIEVE !

Tokubetsu

confused said:
I'm pretty sure something like that was the origin of the legend that it ever went on sale. I refuse to BELIEVE !

Fairly certain it was on sale for 5 or 10 back in Halloween 09. That's the last time I remember seeing it on sale (on steam).

Javaman

Drkirby said:
So, I take it no one cares that Front Mission Evolved Retail is 75% off on Amazon and 70% off at Gamestop, and can be activated in Steam.
I care. I came "" to buying it on amazon but I'm glad I didn't since the shipping would put it over the gamestop price. If amazon would give me the key like they did with Mafia 2 though it would have been a no brainer.

Tokubetsu said:
Fairly certain it was on sale for 5 or 10 back in Halloween 09. That's the last time I remember seeing it on sale (on steam).
It was on sale for $10 around 11/03/07. That is when I got it. It being on sale is not a myth.

IrishNinja

dammit...everytime i threaten to buy it in the sales threads, i get a few dudes saying DONT CAVE, like im doing GAF a disservice buy buying a classic game for $5-10 "too much":lol .

and i still haven't bought it yet, so i'm part of the problem

Aselith

IrishNinja said:
dammit...everytime i threaten to buy it in the sales threads, i get a few dudes saying DONT CAVE, like im doing GAF a disservice buy buying a classic game for $5-10 "too much":lol .

and i still haven't bought it yet, so i'm part of the problem

Yer starting to weaken, brah, DON'T CAVE

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
So where are today's sales? I held off buying anything just in case it went cheaper.

stuminus3

Banned
slidewinder said:
Cheaper (at $25 retail), with a much, much better dpad than the 360 controllers have, but act and are recognized exactly like a 360 pad when the switch is in X-Input position. Materials are of somewhat lower quality overall as is typical of third party stuff, but not too bad.
I used to love Logitech stuff (I still rock a wireless one for my PS2), and it's cool that you can switch between Direct and XInput with this thing, but they still follow the Dual Shock design for analog stick positioning - which in my humble opinion should have died with the 20th century. The 360 sticks make so much more sense to me now.

Still, a great alternative.

Double D

I bought Civ 4 Complete and now I've got 2 copies of everything in the pack showing up. Any ways to hide Mac-only stuff on my Windows Steam?

dani_dc

Easy_D said:
IIRC, last time Bloodlines was on sale was Halloween 2008. So long ago :O
I was also when I got it :D

Vik_Vaughn said:
I bought Civ 4 Complete and now I've got 2 copies of everything in the pack showing up. Any ways to hide Mac-only stuff on my Windows Steam?
Only way is to create a new category and shove the extra copies there.

MoFuzz

morningbus said:
So where are today's sales? I held off buying anything just in case it went cheaper.
Sounds like you...missed the bus on that one.

caruso_yeeeeahhhhh.jpg

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Javaman said:
I care. I came "" to buying it on amazon but I'm glad I didn't since the shipping would put it over the gamestop price. If amazon would give me the key like they did with Mafia 2 though it would have been a no brainer.
This is why I love my free 2 day shipping for being a student. $12.56 is $12.56.

jaundicejuice said:

Thanks to the steam sales, if a game has bad drm I just wait until it's sub-$5 to buy it. I can't believe that people were holding off on buying Crysis on sale because of a 5 activation limit. That's the price of a rental.

MoFuzz

Forkball said:
The Logitech is good, but many games don't recognize it and force you to manually input the commands before you can use it. It's a hassle.
I know this is the case with the original Logitech pads, but isn't the whole idea of these revised versions with the 360 buttons and Directinput/Xinput toggle to make it so that it supports basically everything out of the box?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
The lack of space on my computer after this last sale means I'm purchasing another 2 Terabytes of storage soon.

Goddamn.

Forkball

wenis said:
The lack of space on my computer after this last sale means I'm purchasing another 2 Terabytes of storage soon.

Goddamn.
Speaking of this, does anyone run Steam off of a external harddrive? Are there performance issues?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
MoFuzz said:
Sounds like you...missed the bus on that one.

caruso_yeeeeahhhhh.jpg

Please accept any of the following retorts:

A) Sorry, but the whole incident is fuzzy in my memory.

B) You need to make Mo sense.

C) I had sex with your wife.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
wenis said:

Goddamn.
Same for me. Waiting till I both.

1) Have more money
2) Can find one at around $70

ZZMitch

animlboogy said:
The answer sucks. I had this problem on my last playthrough a couple months ago. I had to load a previous save. It's a long-standing glitch that never got fixed.

When running normally, the fan should be going fast enough to levitate by the time you reach the top of the ladder. If it doesn't work there, you need to re-load and get there again.

Damn, oh well. Thanks for the answer though.

TheExodu5

Banned
Psy-Phi said:
I agree they're unnecessary but I understand companies not trying to change it. They'd have to implement Steam's DRM instead, which would mean extra licensing. Games that aren't steampowered you can just run the executable with Steam not even running much of the time (and especially when there's third party DRM). I play Fallout 3 frequently without Steam running for example.

If they just patched out the DRM they'd essentially give the internet an executable that the hackers strive for. No reason to make their lives easier.

And honestly I used to be in an uproar about TAGES and SecuROM, but I gave in last year and bought what I wanted without caring about what DRM the games used. Haven't had a single problem, even with the lamented Assassin's Creed 2. Works flawlessly, and I like knowing that my save is being backed up somewhere.

Sure I'd prefer the Steam Cloud, but I don't care which cloud it goes to, just so long as I can get it back.
There is no licensing cost for Steamworks.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Wait, so there's an Offline mode now?

Whenever I moved my laptop while playing Torchlight, I got kicked out of my game.
Thought it was so aggravating, I stopped playing and never opened Steam again.

My wireless is intermittent at home, hated not being able to play when I wanted to unplug the Ethernet cord and move.

graywolf323

John Harker said:
Wait, so there's an Offline mode now?

Whenever I moved my laptop while playing Torchlight, I got kicked out of my game.
Thought it was so aggravating, I stopped playing and never opened Steam again.

My wireless is intermittent at home, hated not being able to play when I wanted to unplug the Ethernet cord and move.

there's been an offline mode forever :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom