• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

John Harker said:
Wait, so there's an Offline mode now?

Whenever I moved my laptop while playing Torchlight, I got kicked out of my game.
Thought it was so aggravating, I stopped playing and never opened Steam again.

My wireless is intermittent at home, hated not being able to play when I wanted to unplug the Ethernet cord and move.
Offline mode existed long before Torchlight came out. You should try to find solutions for your problems either on GAF or Google. It doesn't take long and it leads to more fun and less frustration.

ZZMitch said:

I think you're talking about a point pretty early in the game. You should duck down and walk underneath the fan blades through an air vent corridor.

EDIT: appears I'm thinking of the wrong part.

MoFuzz

morningbus said:
Please accept any of the following retorts:

A) Sorry, but the whole incident is fuzzy in my memory.

B) You need to make Mo sense.

C) I had sex with your wife.
I shall now retort your retorts:

A) Roofies are bad.

B) Mo cents would mean mo money and mo money as we know, leads to mo problems.

C) That wasn't my wife...in fact, it wasn't even a woman. I'm glad you enjoyed it nonetheless.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Zzoram said:
Offline mode existed long before Torchlight came out. You should try to find solutions for your problems either on GAF or Google. It doesn't take long and it leads to more fun and less frustration.

I suppose that's why I'm asking ha. I just noticed it in the OP.

I'm not much of a PC gamer (clearly) aside from Blizzard titles.
I've worked with Steam through work, but not much experience using it for gaming. Torchlight was a fun distraction though.

Maybe I'll try that Amensia game people keep talking about, is it on Steam?

dLMN8R

Karma said:
I thought that was for just Portal.
I imagine that if it's successful for Portal 2 they'll continue using it for future PS3 games too. It also isn't too much of a stretch that once they finalize the Source engine for Portal 2 on PS3, they'll go back and bring out the Left 4 Dead games too.

Steamworks on PS3 just means that PS3 gamers will be connecting to Steam's servers to download updates directly from Valve, bypassing Sony's certification processes, enabling PS3 and PC gamers to be in sync, allowing for cross-platform gameplay. It doesn't make sense to do all that work for Portal 2 and never for anything else.

ZZMitch

BarrenMind said:
I think you're talking about a point pretty early in the game. You should duck down and walk underneath the fan blades through an air vent corridor.

EDIT: appears I'm thinking of the wrong part.

No, it is a glitch, I watched some walkthrough video and the guy did the exact same thing as me and was lifted up no problem.

In the end I just said fuck it and used the noclip cheat to get up there.

Also, what the hell, is up with the creepy guy in the suit who keeps watching me! It is freaking me out man!

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
I have a problem with Steam and while I don't want to make a new thread it's important enough for me to post it here. Maybe someone can help me.

On the last day of the sale I bought 3 games (GTAIV Complete, Sid Meier's Civilization IV and Penumbra: Black Plague), I paid with PayPal. Everything worked fine, got the email from PayPal with the Transaction ID and Invoice ID.

Meanwhile Steam gave me a "Your purchase is still being processed - Steam will notify you when the transaction has been completed. Until then, this game is not available to play." error. After 2 hours it showed as "failed" under Store Transactions. ;(

So I opened a support ticket, told them everything and gave them all details from PayPal. After 25 hours I got a reply. They ignored most of my mail and told me that I have not been charged. Heres the problem. After checking with my bank and PayPal I know for a fact that I have been charged. The money is gone. I told them (Steam support) that my bank confirmed that the money is out and they just send me another reply. Again they told me about their automated billing system and that they can't do anything.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So I tried buying a game for Toma as a repayment for Grand Ages: Rome but it said my card was declined. I tried again, accidentally selecting to buy it for myself (I don't mind, I was gifting it because it looked cool) and it worked, so I'm like "Hmmm, maybe it was just that once" so I tried gifting it again and it said it was declined again.

WTF?

confused

Banned
kamorra said:
I have a problem with Steam and while I don't want to make a new thread it's important enough for me to post it here. Maybe someone can help me.

On the last day of the sale I bought 3 games (GTAIV Complete, Sid Meier's Civilization IV and Penumbra: Black Plague), I paid with PayPal. Everything worked fine, got the email from PayPal with the Transaction ID and Invoice ID.

Meanwhile Steam gave me a "Your purchase is still being processed - Steam will notify you when the transaction has been completed. Until then, this game is not available to play." error. After 2 hours it showed as "failed" under Store Transactions. ;(

So I opened a support ticket, told them everything and gave them all details from PayPal. After 25 hours I got a reply. They ignored most of my mail and told me that I have not been charged. Heres the problem. After checking with my bank and PayPal I know for a fact that I have been charged. The money is gone. I told them (Steam support) that my bank confirmed that the money is out and they just send me another reply. Again they told me about their automated billing system and that they can't do anything.

I had the same problem over the christmas sale while adding funds to my Steam wallet. They told me after 3 days the money would show up in my account due to failure at the bank end.

What I did :

Re-open the support ticket and bring it to their attention that funds have not shown up in your account, nor have the games been unlocked. Show all the proof you have and your games should magically unlock.

Happened once over thanksgiving too, guess it's their standard reply in the hope that Steam delay eventualy figures itself out or something.

TheStringTheory said:
I'm on a Mac. What should I do ?
Pretty much the same steps as in Windows. Put them in the "addons" folder in your garrysmod Steam app folder.

Go to ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/[your username]/garrysmod/garrysmod/addons

Place the folder containing the info.txt file in that addons folder.

( ~ means your user directory, your "home" directory)

Spotless Mind said:
Pretty much the same steps as in Windows. Put them in the "addons" folder in your garrysmod Steam app folder.

Go to ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/[your username]/garrysmod/garrysmod/addons

Place the folder containing the info.txt file in that addons folder.

( ~ means your user directory, your "home" directory)
The add-ons won't show up in the game itself.

I don't understand why the devs on steam don't keep more deals except in summer or christmas.

It's really difficult to find any decent deal (10% or, as much, 25%), even with old games.

They should have a more similar approach as the devs on appstore, with sales on games during all year, lowering the price to climb up in the list and after some days going back to the default price. Games like Recettear earned more money with deals than in the full-price release.

Draft

dLMN8R said:
I imagine that if it's successful for Portal 2 they'll continue using it for future PS3 games too.
So factoring in average Valve development time and the estimated lifespan of the PS3, that should result in... 1/3rd of a game?

Sysgen

Sysgen said:
Mine too but View all recent still gives me a white screen.

Fixed this (sort of) by editing Blotter Settings and coming up with a combination that actually gives me back data.

DangerousDave said:
I don't understand why the devs on steam don't keep more deals except in summer or christmas.

They have two advertised deals every week, in addition to whatever permanent price drops and "special" sales happen. It's important to weigh promotions and sale-driving discounts against the ability to still sell games at higher prices and to avoid a race-to-the-bottom condition, and I think the deal frequency on Steam currently does a relatively good job of that.

graywolf323

charlequin said:
They have two advertised deals every week, in addition to whatever permanent price drops and "special" sales happen. It's important to weigh promotions and sale-driving discounts against the ability to still sell games at higher prices and to avoid a race-to-the-bottom condition, and I think the deal frequency on Steam currently does a relatively good job of that.

heck with the mid-week deal having become a regular thing as well it feels like they have sales too often :lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wounder if it would be a good or bad move to enable Steam Play with the PS3. Buy Portal 2 on PC, get it on PS3!

Drkirby said:
I wounder if it would be a good or bad move to enable Steam Play with the PS3. Buy Portal 2 on PC, get it on PS3!
It would be an incredibly sly way to get PS3 gamers to install Steam on their PCs. After that it's all over, for their wallets I mean.

DangerousDave said:

It's really difficult to find any decent deal (10% or, as much, 25%), even with old games.

They should have a more similar approach as the devs on appstore, with sales on games during all year, lowering the price to climb up in the list and after some days going back to the default price. Games like Recettear earned more money with deals than in the full-price release.
There are a lot of factors into why the sales do so well, such as:

Only twice a year, people will impulse buy when a sale is on because there is a 6 month gap between them.
When games drop to 80% off for 7 days people will flock to it, reduce a game to 50% every month and people will either wait for a cheaper week or wait for a big sale instead.
iPhone market only works like it does because it's the good games out of the billions of shitty apps, if you are not in the top 200 then your sales drop like a dead fly, a lot of devs have moaned at apple about it.
With constant sales it's hard to buy a game day 1 unless you really really want it, I don't buy most iphone apps instantly because people like EA games will drop their game price only 2 weeks after release (because it's not new any more and drops down the list, a sale brings it back up)

MNC

Drkirby said:
For me, super move. I'd buy it for PC anyway but giving me a chance to try it out on PS3 will be amazing. But that's not the case; sales would most likely happen on either platform and the sales would have to be split. I think?

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
confused said:
I had the same problem over the christmas sale while adding funds to my Steam wallet. They told me after 3 days the money would show up in my account due to failure at the bank end.

What I did :

Re-open the support ticket and bring it to their attention that funds have not shown up in your account, nor have the games been unlocked. Show all the proof you have and your games should magically unlock.

Happened once over thanksgiving too, guess it's their standard reply in the hope that Steam delay eventualy figures itself out or something.

Thanks, I will try that. atm they are ignoring my last reply. I know that I shouldn't do a charge back but simply accepting that I lost 20€ due to their error isn't exactly easy.

Volcynika

Drkirby said:

A move that would never happen. Nevermind how long it takes a game to hit retail and then have a full PS3 game to be downloadable from PSN, Sony wouldn't want to hurt their software sales.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
kamorra said:

Finally got my games! Another support team guy and another from the billing department helped out. I love Steam again. :)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Volcynika said:
A move that would never happen. Nevermind how long it takes a game to hit retail and then have a full PS3 game to be downloadable from PSN, Sony wouldn't want to hurt their software sales.
Steamworks, you won't download the game from Sony, right from Valve! Also, it could help justify the higher price tag to people who don't think the game is worth much due to Portal 1 coming with TF2 and 3 Half Life games and being given away later for free.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
vocab said:
No. Same as last year. GoG puts those on sale quite a bit.

I get the impression that Interplay signed some sort of sweetheart deal with GoG and the fact that the Fallout games are still on Steam is just some relic rather than an active decision.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
After that massive sale, I do still believe in legit original-price purchases for the right games... However, I'm waiting on putting down a pre-order for TDU2 in case they have a 10-15% off pre-order deal.

confused

Banned
kamorra said:
Finally got my games! Another support team guy and another from the billing department helped out. I love Steam again. :)

Hooray for Steam support. Glad it worked out for you and hope you enjoy the games. VIVA LA STEAM

Big B

the midweek sale can't possibly be those "specials", can't they? They aren't even under 5 dollars!

this is what steam has done to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom