• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Princess Skittles said:
I thought Steamworks only meant it was "Buy Once, Play on PC and Mac."

There seems to be some confusion about the label.

The "Buy Once, Play on Pc and Mac" is for SteamPlay.

Steamworks is a toolset that provides support for DRM, achievements, Steam Cloud, Microtransactions, Matchmaking, Steam Community, and in the future Big Picture Mode and other things.

Soule

nexen said:
Why do I want Alice so badly? I know it is mediocre but ... something about it.
I'm the same, I'm really drawn to it. The art style and the story I find very intriguing, I heard it's nothing special and seen it's reviewed poorly but I still want it. However I'm not going to buy from another DD service unless it's under $20. That's the price where I find it acceptable to double dip if it comes out on Steam with no regret. If I bought a full priced game and it came out on Steam months later I'd be unhappy so unless it goes down in price or comes out on Steam I'm going to refrain.

Nabs

Gloomfire said:
Yeah, and Wiki says Torchlight is Steamworks. They could be wrong though.
Note: Only keys purchased directly from Runic Games or Perfect World prior to May 19th, 2010 can be registered on Steam.

Steamworks means you can activate it on Steam as a DRM measure.

Edit: Beaten. Pfft.

But that D2D stab at Steam, is kinda similar to the Burger King/McDonald's and Pepsi/Coke thing. Just calling out the competition is all.

Sanic

How's A.R.E.S? I thought the demo was too short to get a sense of the overall game. Does it become more challenging?

hamchan

They're only advertising the "Not available on steam" in te UK D2D store right? Kinda false advertising if they were doing that for non UK regions.

Salsa

wow, you guys better buy that variety pack.

Im only missing 2 games so im probably gonna skip it.. but i paid full price for Capsized, Machinarium and Swords and Soldiers and they were more than worth it.

Wish i could just gift the extra copies..

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
kswiston said:
What is the early consensus on Dungeon Siege 3? Steamplay means I can get this for $38 from D2D.

I am in the mood for an action RPG, but I am on the fence, and don't really have the time to download/play the demo before Tuesday.

Don't even try it unless you have an Xbox 360 controller or equivalent. The mouse and keyboard controls simply emulate the functions of a 360 controller and are pretty horrendous.

It's not bad, if a little unimaginative, if you can play it with a 360 controller. It's really nothing at all like the previous Dungeon Siege games, though.

SalsaShark said:

Im only missing 2 games so im probably gonna skip it.. but i paid full price for Capsized, Machinarium and Swords and Soldiers and they were more than worth it.

You can't? I was thinking of getting it and gifting a copy of Machinarium.

Salsa

crap, same with the FEAR pack, already own 1 and all the DLC, but i want 2 :/

They're kinda not doing the individual sales everytime there's a pack anymore, fucking sucks.

Relax.MX

SalsaShark said:

But the online of Swords and Soldiers...just sucks...(is a lame because the game is not bad)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
SalsaShark said:
crap, same with the FEAR pack, already own 1 and all the DLC, but i want 2 :/

Same here. I kinda want to play FEAR 2, but it's not an instabuy for me until it's like $5. I don't know about $10....

For me, $5 is the maximum amount I can spend a game without feeling any buyers remorse if I hate it or don't play it much.

Lime

For those doubting the Indie Adventure pack, Machinarium is a fucking awesome point and click with gorgeous visuals.

nexen

Soule said:
I'm the same, I'm really drawn to it. The art style and the story I find very intriguing, I heard it's nothing special and seen it's reviewed poorly but I still want it. However I'm not going to buy from another DD service unless it's under $20. That's the price where I find it acceptable to double dip if it comes out on Steam with no regret. If I bought a full priced game and it came out on Steam months later I'd be unhappy so unless it goes down in price or comes out on Steam I'm going to refrain.
I saw the giantbomb quick look and it only made me want it more. Maybe it is because she had big blue eyes...

Lime said:
For those doubting the Indie Adventure pack, Machinarium is a fucking awesome point and click with gorgeous visuals.
I second this. Machinarium is awesome.

Hey look, it's the FEAR sale I mentioned the other day. Get!

EDIT: Just got Torchlight and can't seem to activate it on Steam. Are you guys sure it's steamworks?

plc268

neoism said:
so guys should I never delete Crysis 2 from my computer... got it launch day on steam? :/

No, you're fine. It remains on Steam's servers, you just can't buy it (for now).

Prey, for instance, was removed from the Steam store long ago, but I can still download it without a problem.

Just got the FEAR pack and the Indie Variety Pack.

Like someone else said, I got the Indie Pack after seeing Machinarium. Looks INCREDIBLE. How is their other game, Samorost2? I know it was on sale a while back but I didn't buy it. :( Still only 5 bucks, so if it's good, I might as well.

vocab

DarkChronic said:
Just got the FEAR pack and the Indie Variety Pack.

Like someone else said, I got the Indie Pack after seeing Machinarium. Looks INCREDIBLE. How is there other game, Samorost2? I know it was on sale a while back but I didn't buy it. :( Still only 5 bucks, so if it's good, I might as well.

Play the first one. It's free. IF you like it, wait for dirt cheap steam sale.

Samorost2 was finally added into my game library from the humble indie bundle.

PaulLFC

To be honest, I don't know much about the games in the Indie Variety Pack besides Machinarium, 3 of the other 4 have demos though, so I'll check them out. Looks like a very good deal.

Salsa

vocab said:
Play the first one. It's free. IF you like it, wait for dirt cheap steam sale.

why? Samorost 2 is awesome and its just 5 bucks. If he likes it i say he should get it now.

"Waiting for dirt cheap" makes sense when we are talking about not-so-good AAA games or something. Not paying 5 bucks for an indie game is just wrong.

I'm definitely getting that FEAR pack. I'd like to get the Indie pack with Machinarium (I bought the game when it came out on the official site, would like to get it on Steam), but I have almost all of the games in it. Guess I'll wait for a separate sale on it

Also, I haven't been keeping up with the third FEAR. What's wrong with it? I'm tempted to pre-order.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
LastWindow said:
Also, I haven't been keeping up with the third FEAR. What's wrong with it? I'm tempted to pre-order.
Monolith isn't making it, Day 1 Studios is. They made Fracture. They also ported the F.E.A.R. games to consoles but that doesn't make me trust their abilities to make a new game. From what I have seen of the game it definitely seems to be trying too hard. Monolith has a special style, one of my fav developers.

I just went and beat Samarost, lol. Pretty awesome. I'll probably spend the $5 bucks on the sequel - the team deserves it. Can't wait to try out Machinarium.

Did Machinarium get a price drop though? It says the regular price is $10 when looking at the pack, but I recall it being $20 just a few weeks ago.

Considering the variety pack, but I just got EVE Online off Amazon, so I don't know if I want another gaming purchase so soon. Capsized and Machinarium would be what I'm interested in; I'm unfamiliar with the other titles.

Stitch

Gold Member
amrod said:

When i click the link I get this lol

Image1.jpg

stuminus3

Banned
CarbonatedFalcon said:
Did Machinarium get a price drop though? It says the regular price is $10 when looking at the pack, but I recall it being $20 just a few weeks ago.
Yes it did, a couple of days ago I think.

stuminus3

Banned
raphier said:
hot damn at that FEAR 10€. The only problem is I hate horror games.
F.E.A.R isn't actually all that scary, although the name implies otherwise. It has it's share of creepy moments but the game is largely just a kick-ass first person shooter. Definitely not a "horror" game in the traditional sense of the word.

raphier

Banned
stuminus3 said:
F.E.A.R isn't actually all that scary, although the name implies otherwise. It has it's share of creepy moments but the game is largely just a kick-ass first person shooter. Definitely not a "horror" game in the traditional sense of the word.
I've played the first game's demo. By the time the walls turned in blood, I was unconscious on the floor.

Dice said:
Monolith isn't making it, Day 1 Studios is. They made Fracture. They also ported the F.E.A.R. games to consoles but that doesn't make me trust their abilities to make a new game. From what I have seen of the game it definitely seems to be trying too hard. Monolith has a special style, one of my fav developers.

Thanks. I had no idea the original developers weren't making it. And speaking of Monolith, I wish they'd make a third Condemned. I loved the first two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom