• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exuro

Doesn't purchasing a game remove said game from your wishlist? Went to it for the first time in a while and I own three of the games on it...

EDIT: This is weird, I went to the store page for The Witcher 2 and it says that I don't own it. Same with new vegas... Weird.

EDIT2: fixed it by removing the games on the wishlist, now says I own them.

Sanic

Ill be up for a spot in a MNC fourpack. Can PayPal right away, assuming I have no issues with the website on my phone.

Yaska

Zeitgeister said:
It'll be funny when it turns out there is no summer sale.

There is only one thing that needs to change:
Bulletstorm local retail: 10-20 euros. On Steam: 50 euros. :(
If not a summer sale, then atleast a back to school sale :D. Would think Valve would have atleast some huge sale before Fall.

amdnv

Zeitgeister said:
It'll be funny when it turns out there is no summer sale.
People expect it, so one would think that Valve is going to give us a summer sale.
Then again, people also expected a decent ending to the Portal 2 ARG, and we remember how that went *snicker*

Wthermans

Banned
MNC at 3.75 is a heck of a deal. Lead and Gold is good too, but the gameplay is far shallower IMO. I've put 149 hours into MNC and 30 hours into L&G. I'd play L&G more but the community is even worse than MNC at this point. MNC's support & server browser is 10x better than L&G too.

Oh yeah and for the MNC newbies. If you play Assassin, don't worry about players, kill BOTS and push the lanes. You can be heard/seen while cloaked (even at the top upgrade level) and the Sin does the most damage to bot groups. Also, don't underestimate your Shurikens. They do a ton of damage (especially when you use the Cloak Crit).

Gunner is a blast to play if you upgrade the Minigun to level 3. Each level of Minigun upgrade splits your mortars. Max level turns 1 Mortar shot into 3. You should use the Maxxed Mortars from range and only use the Minigun to ambush people around corners. I highly recommend skipping the Deploy upgrade as Deploy is the easiest way to die as a Gunner.

amrod said:
wow Alliance of Valiant Arms is horrible
Yes it is. Amazingly, it plays worse than it looks:

ava2011-06-1921-14-36-0ud3.jpg

ava2011-06-1921-14-36-pnaa.jpg

ava2011-06-1921-23-27-lut3.jpg

I'm going to give Spiral Knights a try now.

Obsessed said:
Where/What do I plug this information in to?
If you have Mumble open, there should be a 'connect' window (if not, press Ctrl + O) and there's a button that says 'Add New...' which will bring up another window that has places for the address and port.

Schmattakopf said:
If you have Mumble open, there should be a 'connect' window (if not, press Ctrl + O) and there's a button that says 'Add New...' which will bring up another window that has places for the address and port.

Ok, thanks for the help.

On an unrelated note: I tried playing the demo of Amnesia the Dark Descent, and I am greeted by a pitch black darkness. I checked online and the first level does not start out like that. I don't know why, but there is something wrong with the game. Should I just mess with graphical settings until something pops up or is there a known problem with the demo?

ChaoticEko

Neo Member
So, Im looking at my collection of games, I realize, In alphabetical order, my list is missing only a game that starts with I, another with Q, and lastly, one with Z. Any suggestions on games that start with those letters so I can have a FULLY alphabetized list?

Narag

ChaoticEko said:
So, Im looking at my collection of games, I realize, In alphabetical order, my list is missing only a game that starts with I, another with Q, and lastly, one with Z. Any suggestions on games that start with those letters so I can have a FULLY alphabetized list?

Lucasarts' Indiana Jones games.
Any Quake.
Is there even a game that starts with Z?

ChaoticEko said:
For I the Indiana Jones games are good, especially Fate of Atlantis.
Only Q game I have is Quantz, but I've never played it so I don't know how it is.
For Z Zombie Panic Source is a free game so just get that.

Blizzard

Banned
ChaoticEko said:
Zombie Panic! Source is free, or you could get Zombie Driver. For Q there are Quake game(s), not sure what else. For I, I own IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946. There are probably others.

I also own Iron Grip: Warlord and there's a demo. For all of these, however, you can wait for the fictional summer sale to buy.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is pretty great and comes in a pack, though. It's an old game so beware if you're a graphics horse.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
ChaoticEko said:
Quake (I Don't have it, but it's the wright answer)
Iron Grip: Warlords (only game starting with an I that I have. Came in a indie pack, have no idea how it is)
Zeno Clash (how do you not have this? First Person Brawler ftw)

Edit: Indiana Jones is the correct answer for the I problem.

Mairu

Been about 2 hours since Keikaku said he would go in on the 4-pack and he hasn't responded to my pm -_-

quote this post if you want in on a 4-pack, i'll pm you with paypal info (i'll host)

edit: keikaku came back and took over ;p

ChaoticEko

Neo Member
drizzle said:
Quake (I Don't have it, but it's the wright answer)
Iron Grip: Warlords (only game starting with an I that I have. Came in a indie pack, have no idea how it is)
Zeno Clash (how do you not have this? First Person Brawler ftw)

Edit: Indiana Jones is the correct answer for the I problem.

lol, thanks for all the recommendations, guys. Ill check these out ASAP

PS:

Not sure why I never came across Zeno Clash. Pretty Surprised I've never heard of it, given the amount of games I own and play, and everything I read/see online.

Keikaku

Mairu said:
Been about 2 hours since Keikaku said he would go in on the 4-pack and he hasn't responded to my pm -_-

quote this post if you want in on a 4-pack, i'll pm you with paypal info (i'll host)

Monday Night Combat 4-Pack
1. Mairu

I've just been catching up on Dreamhack! I'm still in and I'm PMing you now :)

PaulLFC

Ugh, Win7 has done something to Steam's compatibility settings, of its own accord, and Steam doesn't like it. I closed Steam before and Windows said it didn't close properly (it did). So Windows decided it'd choose some settings, without giving me an option to say no, leave it as is.

Now every time I start Steam I get a message that running in compatibility mode isn't recommended, and to change the properties of steam.exe for all users. I've looked though, and under compatibility, nothing is checked, neither on the initial screen or the "change settings for all users" screen.

Anything I can do to fix this? I could just press cancel to make the warning not show any more as Steam says, but I'd rather fix it properly.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
ChaoticEko said:

How odd, I was just thinking about this right now as well. Except I was looking at my Backloggery list and realizing I have everything except Q. I have very few I and Z games though. I is Ico and Infinite Undiscovery, Z is the lone Zombie Driver (which I don't even want.) Now, if GOG would release the Quest for Glory series my list would be complete. Otherwise my choices are... Quake and Queen's Blade. Nah, I'd much rather have Quest for Glory.

Rubezh

coopolon said:
Wowza. I've played through ME1 3 times at 68 hours. What were you doing in ME2 for 324?

Mostly playing through to completion again and again (and then hitting new game as soon as I'm done). Even after a year and a half, I still consider it one of my go to games on Steam.

Salsa

Friend got Monday Night Combat for me. I remember i liked it during the free weekend but there were some bad ping issues. Hope im able to enjoy it a bit more now

Lissar said:
How odd, I was just thinking about this right now as well. Except I was looking at my Backloggery list and realizing I have everything except Q. I have very few I and Z games though. I is Ico and Infinite Undiscovery, Z is the lone Zombie Driver (which I don't even want.) Now, if GOG would release the Quest for Glory series my list would be complete. Otherwise my choices are... Quake and Queen's Blade. Nah, I'd much rather have Quest for Glory.
For the Z I pick Zeno Clash. For Q maybe a Quake title and for the I, well I have Iron Grip, but that's not so fan.

Whoops, wrong quoted, ah well.

Mairu said:

1. Mairu
I guess I'm in.

ChaoticEko

Neo Member
Lissar said:

Yeah, I decided that trying to categorize all 200+ games was getting tiresome, so I uncategorized them all, and started to get all OCD about the Alphabet.

Keikaku

OK, I have the following for a 4 pack:

1. Keikaku
2. Keikaku (I'm getting 2 copies so I can gift to a friend)
3. Mairu
4. *INSERT YOUR NAME HERE*

Join us!

Edit: Fuck yeah, Schmattakopf! PMing you now :D

Blizzard

Banned
PaulLFC said:
Now every time I start Steam I get a message that running in compatibility mode isn't recommended, and to change the properties of steam.exe for all users. I've looked though, and under compatibility, nothing is checked, neither on the initial screen or the "change settings for all users" screen.

Anything I can do to fix this? I could just press cancel to make the warning not show any more as Steam says, but I'd rather fix it properly.
Ugh, I think I had that happen once when I was trying to get Call of Cthulhu to work properly (never succeeded). I think I had to search through the Windows registry and find the specific entry or entries that marked Steam (steam.exe?) as something that should run in compatibility mode.

plc268

ChaoticEko said:

I'm only missing Y... I don't think there's any good games that start with y

ZZMitch

PaulLFC said:
Ugh, Win7 has done something to Steam's compatibility settings, of its own accord, and Steam doesn't like it. I closed Steam before and Windows said it didn't close properly (it did). So Windows decided it'd choose some settings, without giving me an option to say no, leave it as is.

I had this same problem, had to go into regedit and delete something.

I think it was this...
Take a look in the registry at:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
You may notice steam.exe listed there. Removing that may help. Also check under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE as well in case its admin set.

knee

Mairu said:

1. Mairu

Let's get it!

knee

Keikaku said:
Schmattakopf beat you to it. I'll give him some time to respond to my PM, otherwise you're in :D

Ah, nevermind. I counted from Mairu's list >_<

24FrameDaVinci said:
Your avatar is hilarious, I totally used to base my buying decisions off games with that "freakout" score in Gamepro. So awesome.

Thanks! You're the first one to pick up on it! or at least mention the fact. :-] I'm going to be pressing some shirts when I get a little money together.

PaulLFC

Blizzard said:
Ugh, I think I had that happen once when I was trying to get Call of Cthulhu to work properly (never succeeded). I think I had to search through the Windows registry and find the specific entry or entries that marked Steam (steam.exe?) as something that should run in compatibility mode.

ZZMitch said:
I had this same problem, had to go into regedit and delete something.

Thanks to both of you, that worked perfectly :) It'd decided to give Steam some sort of elevated privileges from what I could make out in the registry. Deleting the entry did the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom