• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just simultaneously got around 10 friend requests with absolutely zero characters in the name fields for each one.

Spam knows no bounds? Error? Anyone else ever get this?

Blizzard

Banned
CrookedRain said:
It's probably just a problem with their servers right now. I just tried it out and it won't work now either.
I think I had this 4-5 days ago, and had to go back and retry the process several times. Whatever it is has been going on for at least a week, I'm guessing.

HBroward

So with the Uber Update for TF2 on Thursday, and with it being free to play all week, I'm not really expecting to see a sale start this week. Hopefully it's just Valve trying to lull us into not expecting the sale, then WHAM, deals all over the place.

Sanic

Actually kind of liked my time with the Overlord II demo, but if I spend $5 on the pack, that's five less dollars I have for the summer sale :/

Oh well, bought, most likely.

ElyrionX

Ok guys, finally rejoined the master race and downloaded Steam. Couple of questions though. My Steam account name is an ancient email address that I no longer use. As far as I know, there is no way to change this. What do I do now? Do I need the account name for anything else apart from logging in?

Also I see many references in here to a SteamID. What is that? Is that my account name (ie. the old email address)? Or is that something I can set separately? I only see an option for a "Profile Name" I think. Is that the SteamID?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Nope, you don't need the name for anything else. Just change your ingame name and you are good.

SteamID is a string of numbers like STEAM_0:0:25253598, you don't really need it. What people normally call their steamID is just their username.

ElyrionX said:
Ok guys, finally rejoined the master race and downloaded Steam. Couple of questions though. My Steam account name is an ancient email address that I no longer use. As far as I know, there is no way to change this. What do I do now? Do I need the account name for anything else apart from logging in?

Also I see many references in here to a SteamID. What is that? Is that my account name (ie. the old email address)? Or is that something I can set separately? I only see an option for a "Profile Name" I think. Is that the SteamID?
Your account name is your full email address? Weird. But in any case, yeah, it's just your login name. Your registered email address can be completely different.

Also, your Steam community ID is different from either of those. That's the outside facing portion of your Steam account, the one everyone else identifies you with. And, yep, it's the Profile Name under Edit Profile in the Community tab.

graywolf323

MacGurcules said:
Your account name is your full email address? Weird. But in any case, yeah, it's just your login name. Your registered email address can be completely different.

Also, your Steam community ID is different from either of those. That's the outside facing portion of your Steam account, the one everyone else identifies you with. And, yep, it's the Profile Name under Edit Profile in the Community tab.

back in the early days of steam your login was your email

Pandoracell said:
Actually kind of liked my time with the Overlord II demo, but if I spend $5 on the pack, that's five less dollars I have for the summer sale :/

Oh well, bought, most likely.

I don't think it will go any cheaper and the pack has at least 40 hours of solid game time. More than worth the asking price.

graywolf323 said:
back in the early days of steam your login was your email
How 'bout that. I only broke down when Orange Box was released.

LocoMrPollock said:
I don't think it will go any cheaper and the pack has at least 40 hours of solid game time. More than worth the asking price.
Well, it was $3.60 during the Winter sale last year.

ElyrionX

Thanks for the response guys. And yes, my login name is my full email address because I was one of the early users of Steam, having beta-tested it for Valve when I tried to install my newly-bought copy of Half-Life 2 back when it first released in 2004 and spending the whole day downloading and troubleshooting the damn thing while my friends who had pirated it were playing the game with no hassles involved. Ahhhh, PC gaming....

Joe Molotov

MacGurcules said:
How 'bout that. I only broke down when Orange Box was released.

That was the around the point in which Steam actually started to become a real thing, and not something that people complained about having to run in the background when they played Half-Life 2 or CS:S.

Gassey

Banned
HBroward said:
So with the Uber Update for TF2 on Thursday, and with it being free to play all week, I'm not really expecting to see a sale start this week. Hopefully it's just Valve trying to lull us into not expecting the sale, then WHAM, deals all over the place.

Surely they'll try to coincide the start of the sale with the release of the TF2 update. Especially if they're doing something major like making TF2 free to play.

23rd of June for those interested.

Sanic

Is Battlefield 2 a bit too antiquated to be worth a purchase? I played 1942 back in the day, and love BC2, but i'm wondering if it would be worth it to give BF2 a try if it ends up being cheap.

Joe Molotov

Dungeon Siege III out for real this time. Not like the first time when we said it was out but then it wasn't and we were like "lol, wait 11 more hours, nerds!"

ChesterCharm

Neo Member
If you guys want 30% off coupon codes for Elite Status in Global Agenda, here they are. Enjoy:

GACOU494463853300
GACOU494463854601
GACOU494463854702
GACOU494463854733
GACOU494463880733
GACOU494463880734
GACOU494463880735
GACOU494463880736
GACOU494463880737
GACOU494463899170

vocab

Pandoracell said:
Is Battlefield 2 a bit too antiquated to be worth a purchase? I played 1942 back in the day, and love BC2, but i'm wondering if it would be worth it to give BF2 a try if it ends up being cheap.

It's a little hard to get into compared to 2142 today. If it's cheap, then try it out.

benjipwns

Banned
Pandoracell said:
Last time I played it (four months ago or so) there were still plenty of servers and people playing.

The Complete Collection was $5 during the winter sale and again $5 a month or so ago during EA week.

MacGurcules said:
Right you are. I just checked my Steam transaction history to confirm.

For some reason, I thought it was a bit more than that. Oh well, even better for me.

Yep, feels good to grab those games at such a price.
qDF7L.jpg

A lot of these daily deals have been much cheaper. I wish the dailies were as crazy as the holiday sales.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
AngryChinchilla said:
qDF7L.jpg

A lot of these daily deals have been much cheaper. I wish the dailies were as crazy as the holiday sales.
I never knew about this, goddammit.

Or I did and didn't care. I don't quite remember. Oh well, 5 bucks is good enough.

AngryChinchilla said:
qDF7L.jpg

For this older stuff that I wouldn't have picked up otherwise, it's a great deal. I will admit I feel a little bad for only paying ~$1 for Recettear, though. I wasn't ready to drop $20 on it, but I probably would have paid $10. I suppose they did pretty well with it in the end, but even for a SALEORDIE like me, it felt a little too cheap.

spicy cho

Pandoracell said:
Absolutely worth buying. Also check out Project Reality, a mod with a huge emphasis on teamplay and communication.

Pandoracell said:
The entire BF2 collelction (inclusing SF, AF and EF) was on sale on Steam about 2 weeks ago for really cheap.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Weenerz said:
Giant Bomb did a quick look for Solar 2 and it looks like it should be pretty fun. Anyone else buying it?
It's SP only, right? Games like that should be MP imho. That's the kind of MP I can get behind. Chill with internet dudes while 'evolving', hang back, shoot the shit. A missed opportunity.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Lego Universe is adding a F2P version this August and the full game is already on Steam so I wouldn't be surprised if the F2P version shows up on Steam as well now.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Is there a way to even see in the registry or something that a potential summer sale is coming up?

MRORANGE

Corky said:
Is there a way to even see in the registry or something that a potential summer sale is coming up?

I think the Christmas mulit-packs were listed a few days before the sale went live to everyone during Christmas.

gdt

Trying to decide how much money to put in my wallet...$60? $80? Never had a steam sale, so I figure I'll be spending a good bit.

Derrick01

Banned
Stallion Free said:
100$ is a nice round number.

Yup that's what I try to have ready for each sale. I spent $200 last winter but I can't think of much else I want. It's a pretty safe number, enough to get a lot but not too crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom