• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berto

Anyone knows if Kingdom of Amalur is Steamworks? I thought it was, I saw a copy for 5€ but in the box it didn't mention Steam.

HoosTrax

Anyone knows if Kingdom of Amalur is Steamworks? I thought it was, I saw a copy for 5€ but in the box it didn't mention Steam.
Only the version sold in the Steam store is. All other versions from places like Amazon are the EA version.

Do you guys know anything about TripleTown? It's a mobile port obviously, which may be an immediate strike against it, yet it looks kind of interesting at the same time. I don't really play games on my phone, so I'm not up to speed on it.

Its not. The version of the game on Steam is special in that it was published by 38 studios itself, while all other version were published by EA.

Lombax

Banned
Question: As this is my first full year only using Steam to buy games. Is there also a winter sale on top of the autumn sale?

Question: As this is my first full year only using Steam to buy games. Is there also a winter sale on top of the autumn sale?

There is, it begins on the 20th and it's a million times bigger and better (usually). Have fun and don't doget that you need some money to eat.

DTKT

Yep!

And it's usually bigger than the Autumn sale. Sometimes, Valve adds some kind of mini-game. Last year, special achievements were added to games and completing them gave you lumps of coal. Once you had 7 lumps of coal, you could craft them for a chance of a free game or a coupon.

It was pretty awesome.

Toki767

Yep!

And it's usually bigger than the Autumn sale. Sometimes, Valve adds some kind of mini-game. Last year, special achievements were added to games and completing them gave you lumps of coal. Once you had 7 lumps of coal, you could craft them for a chance of a free game or a coupon.

It was pretty awesome.

What became of the grand prize winner who now owns every game on Steam anyways?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Despite Valve and... whichever US state Government now owns the KoA IP apparently reaching an agreement for continued sale, it's abundantly clear that the game won't be discounted, so I say buy it now on the cheap. In terms of content, if you're one for secondary quests and such, the base game alone is big.

koalap8oj4.jpg

Lombax

Banned
Thank you HoosTrax, YianGaruga, and DTKT. Sounds awesome. I will be able to stock up on some games prior to my start of the NeoGAF 1 year challenge.

Miker

Yep!

It was pretty awesome.

Let's not forget that the odds of receiving a game and not a coupon were pretty low. Then once they ran out of games later in the sale, all crafting attempts resulted in Valve games/coupons. Amusingly enough - and unfortunately - Valve only acknowledged this after the fact, leading to a period where people crafted their coals and got pretty worthless stuff in return.

DTKT

Let's not forget that the odds of receiving a game and not a coupon were pretty low. Then once they ran out of games later in the sale, all crafting attempts resulted in Valve games/coupons. Amusingly enough - and unfortunately - Valve only acknowledged this after the fact, leading to a period where people crafted their coals and got pretty worthless stuff in return.

True. I did get Recettear and Counter Strike Source out of it though. I can't complain.

I don't think they expected the a huge amount of people who would craft stuff.

Caerith

And now the inevitable question: do you guys think Hotline Miami or FTL will get cheaper during winter sale? D:
Hotline is one of the games you can use the Amazon $5 voucher for after Jan 1, so even if that's $5 off the base price it won't get any more expensive.

Doubt FTL will drop below 50% in the winter sale.

Toki767

Just got a raise at work! To celebrate, I'll gift someone a $5 game of their choice. Just PM me to enter and I'll pick a winner later today.

Tizoc

Is the new daily deal up yet? What is it? At work and can't access Steam >_<.

Just got a raise at work! To celebrate, I'll gift someone a $5 game of their choice. Just PM me to enter and I'll pick a winner later today.

Do Steam games on sale for under $5 count?

Miker

True. I did get Recettear and Counter Strike Source out of it though. I can't complain.

I don't think they expected the a huge amount of people who would craft stuff.

Here's what I got last year via JUST crafting and trading:

RAGE
Bulletstorm
Fallout 3 GOTY
Dead Space 2
Magicka

I had to work my ass off for it, though, because I spent _all day_ at my computer either installing shitty games, getting achievements, monitoring the price of coal, trading forums, etc.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Despite Valve and... whichever US state Government now owns the KoA IP apparently reaching an agreement for continued sale, it's abundantly clear that the game won't be discounted, so I say buy it now on the cheap. In terms of content, if you're one for secondary quests and such, the base game alone is big.

koalap8oj4.jpg
Is it still 60 bucks? That's a lot for me :/

JaseC

Here's what I got last year via JUST crafting and trading:

RAGE
Bulletstorm
Fallout 3 GOTY
Dead Space 2
Magicka

I had to work my ass off for it, though, because I spent _all day_ at my computer either installing shitty games, getting achievements, monitoring the price of coal, trading forums, etc.

I crafted once and got coal a useless coupon. Never again!

Edit: Uh, not coal, a coupon.

JaseC

Is it still 60 bucks? That's a lot for me :/

That it is, hence my post. ;) KoA is self-published on Steam, so the game will only go on sale when somebody at the [applicable US state here] Government realises the potential of Steam sales. Which is to say, "probably never".

Edit: On the bright'ish side, as least the game hasn't been pulled from Steam. But, yeah, given EA's tendency to put it on sale rather frequently, I'd again advise to just pick it up on the cheap where possible.

JaseC

The useful thing I got last year was Left 4 Dead 2. And like 2 pieces of coal that I had no use for.

I got nothing but coal and coupons that were useless to me, which thus held as much value as coal. Coal, coal, coal!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
That it is, hence my post. ;) KoA is self-published on Steam, so the game will only go on sale when somebody at the [applicable US state here] Government realises the potential of Steam sales. Which is to say, "probably never".

Edit: On the bright'ish side, as least the game hasn't been pulled from Steam. But, yeah, given EA's tendency to put it on sale rather frequently, I'd again advise to just pick it up on the cheap where possible.
Mmm... I don't know. Maybe Super Gabe could do something about it.

you can't put a price on gaben's love.
Yes I can: the tears of our wallets on every Steam Sale. I've heard he collects them.

JaseC

But I want KoA on steam :(

And you can have it on Steam... if you're willing to pay the requisite premium. ;) I paid full price for the DLC during the Summer Sale, fearing the game was to be pulled as a result of 38 Studios biting the dust. A bitter pill to swallow during a period where $25 can go much further than two expansions and and a weapon set.

KingKong

This is the point where you stop discriminating and just buy anything and everything. A rite of passage, if you will.

I can feel it, I resisted Crusader Kings 2 for 2 sales now but I won't hold out much longer when it's the third day of the sale and I haven't bought anything yet

JaseC

JaseC's Steam account being "nofuckingidea" reminds me of the internet in the 90s

All the names that came to mind at the time were taken and I grew frustrated, haha. I didn't expect the username to work, and now I'm stuck with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom