• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think you guys are getting a little bit ancy for the Summer Seal. Doesn't it usually start mid-to-late July?

Historically it's begun late June more often than ~mid-July. I'm hoping it's the latter again though as tax time starts on July 1st here.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
gunMonkeys3_zpsd7b21645.png

Gun Monkeys is coming to Steam

It's a 2D, online competitive shooter. Looks pretty interesting. According to the dev, if everything goes well the beta will be out this week, and the game will be out the week after.

Historically it's begun late June more often than ~mid-July. I'm hoping it's the latter again though as tax time starts on July 1st here.

Historically, it's been starting later and later. Look forward to early August, guys!

Side note: I thought Grief was talking about the Summer Sale thread. My bad!

cicero

Do you think Steam can out-sale Amazon?

They haven't for over a year now. Valve seems content with lower percentage sale price drops. At this point, as long as greenmangaming, Amazon, and GamersGate are willing to continue to pick up the slack, give us crazy deals, and have it eat into their margins, who cares what Valve does.

What they can do is continue to provide free cards for games, ensuring that I will be able to sell them and cover any purchases through Steam.

They haven't for over a year now. Valve seems content with lower percentage sale price drops. At this point, as long as greenmangaming, Amazon, and GamersGate are willing to continue to pick up the slack, give us crazy deals, and have it eat into their margins, who cares what Valve does.

What they can do is continue to provide free cards for games, ensuring that I will be able to sell them and cover any purchases through Steam.

Yep. I can't recall the last sale on Steam that really impressed me. Amazon, GMG, and others impress significantly more so. Also, a few people on GAF in the Buy/Sell thread have delivered much better deals for Steam games than any retailer. Not keys mind you but gifts through Steam.

Caerith

Yep. I can't recall the last sale on Steam that really impressed me. Amazon, GMG, and others impress significantly more so. Also, a few people on GAF in the Buy/Sell thread have delivered much better deals for Steam games than any retailer. Not keys mind you but gifts through Steam.
I was quite impressed with the recent Brave New World sale, and I recall the winter sale ending with an "omg wow" Sleepy Dogs sale.

I just hope they bring back Left-Foot Lara and the full-featured narratives and non-exploitable events like they had in the halcyon days of Summer 2011.

TaroYamada

Does anybody know what happened to the games.opensteamworks.org charts? They've been down forever. Really annoys me, I liked looking at those.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hmm, looks like no big Steam summer then.

Also I just realized that Skyrim Legendary is very cheap here, like 20 bucks lower.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
In an effort to combat global warming, the Summer Sale has been delayed until October. Thank you for understanding.

Grief.exe

Civilization V is so addicting. It was almost midnight, so I decided to play a bit more before bed...I look at the time and its almost 3 am!!

I'm trying to do a diplomacy victory on Pangaea with 3 other civs.

Things started out well, with myself (Rome), America, Russia, and China all on very good terms.

That lasted until Russia started to get pressed for territory and declared war on myself and America. I took Yekaterinburg and Moscow, while America was beaten up trying to take St. Petersburg.

Then I declared war on America to reclaim some territory they sneakily snatched up. I took San Francisco, Rome, and Atlanta from them as well as a city-state that had some good resources.

Now I have a sprawling empire, a shaky peace with both America and Russia, and on good terms with China.

I don't see myself butting heads with China, they are kind of separated from the rest of us on the continent.

Cool story.

DirtRiver

Is it just me? I'm not even interested in Steam's Summer Sale, I just want other retailers to go crazy and drop the prices even further. If last Winter Sale is of any indication, Amazon will likely kill it.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Is it just me? I'm not even interested in Steam's Summer Sale, I just want other retailers to go crazy and drop the prices even further. If last Winter Sale is of any indication, Amazon will likely kill it.

Speaking only for myself; My Steam wallet is fat with card sales and I'm looking to grab Skyrim's DLC which I can't get at other DD sellers.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

There aren't many Steam-redeemable games offered by third parties that I don't have, whereas on Steam itself there are a good ~450 (excluding games I missed the boat on and F2P titles), so for me it's less about the quality of the discounts and more about the quantity.

After giving it some more thought, one game in particular I'd like to see at 66%+ off is Star Trek, since these days I'm paranoid about publishers abruptly abandoning licenses attached to bombas (see: Acti abandoning the James Bond license not even three months after 007 Legends released).

So are we gonna get 100+ pages of "when is the summer seal"

There's bound to be less of that this year as if the sale does skip June then the next assumption will be ~mid-July. Last year the notion that the sale would begin in July was seen as a nothing more than a cruel joke since both years prior it'd begun late June (well, 2011's begun July 1st here, but I digress).

I'm going out on a limb here and guessing it's an iOS game repackaged for $9.99.

You are correct, it is a £1.99 iOS game. And not a very good one to be honest, it has a fan base so perhaps it is just me but I found it really dull. At a cheaper price it might make a good mindless activity to fill the time while you are listening to a podcast or anything, but at ten dollars I can't recommend it unless they've added a hell of a lot more interesting content.

Civilization V is so addicting. It was almost midnight, so I decided to play a bit more before bed...I look at the time and its almost 3 am!!

I'm trying to do a diplomacy victory on Pangaea with 3 other civs.

Things started out well, with myself (Rome), America, Russia, and China all on very good terms.

That lasted until Russia started to get pressed for territory and declared war on myself and America. I took Yekaterinburg and Moscow, while America was beaten up trying to take St. Petersburg.

Then I declared war on America to reclaim some territory they sneakily snatched up. I took San Francisco, Rome, and Atlanta from them as well as a city-state that had some good resources.

Now I have a sprawling empire, a shaky peace with both America and Russia, and on good terms with China.

I don't see myself butting heads with China, they are kind of separated from the rest of us on the continent.

Cool story.
Build a mighty army of legion units against Americas tanks. Send them a message that you will not be bullied.

Deques

Yesterday I played Trine 2 again. Got three cards and unlocked four achievements. Then sold the cards and earned around 1.4 euro. Yup, I am happy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom