• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRORANGE

Steam is a digital distribution, digital rights management, multiplayer and communications platform developed by Valve Corporation.
It is used to distribute games and related media online, from small independent developers to larger software houses. Steam also has
community features, automated game updates, in-game voice and chat functionality. As of December 2012, there are over 1860 games
available through Steam, and 54 million active user accounts.

iNc4K1a9ImT3W.png

You can send money directly to your steam account for later use on game purchases. GameStop has also collaborated with Steam to let
you buy gamecards from Gamestop to use on Steam. Both of these are useful if you do not want to deal with paypal or you need to
keep a budget on Steam sales. Best Buy and GAME(uk) now offers Steam gift cards.

Steam now has a mobile app for Android and iOS, you can participate in the Steam community wherever you go. Chat with your
Steam friends, browse community groups and user profiles, read the latest gaming news and stay up to date on Steam sales.

Big Picture mode allows you to access your Steam library with the convenience of a controller for viewing on your TV.
It allows you to carry out all the functionality you would carry out with the the regular steam interface.

Steam Linux is currently in Beta mode, however anyone can try it out now. For help with getting Steam on Ubuntu click here.
Click here for a list of Steam games that work in Linux.

itDneHG4UOHxV.png

This will be the biggest thing for Valve this year and expect the news to be either dropped in GDC or E3 on what Valve intends to do.
It's pretty much confirmed that there is a Steambox, with the most likely theory being that it will run Linux and use BPM, Valve has also
dropped hints on willing to work with partners on getting devices 'Steam certified'. Valve have actual hardware being tested to go with
the console with several patents being released on what the controller may look like.

Update: New rules are in effect for the Steam GAF group. Due to issues with scammers/spammers & people only joining the group for
giveaways, it has been made private and you must now be invited by an existing member. Any member may invite another gaffer.

This is the official NeoGaf Steam group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/neogaf
Come in and have a chat.

i9K5YTVbSrGL4.png

Read this, 90% of your problems can be solved by reading our FAQ's:

Can I register this retail game on steam?
Check here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-wusf-3601

How do I contact customer support?
https://support.steampowered.com/

can I use my steam account on a different computer?
Yes, make sure you logged off steam and then connect to the other computer.

Is steam down? I can't see my Profile/Friends/Chat/Cloud Saves
Check here if steam is running maintenance:http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=33589161#post33589161

Steam won't start or run?
Delete ClientRegistry.blob and restart. If all else fails: delete everything but steamapps folder and reinstall steam.

Is using a VPN to get steam games from another region a good idea?
Not really, it can result in getting your account banned, same goes for key's. Most people can unlock games early so that seems to be fine.

Can I still buy games outside the steam store? and start downloads away from my computer?
Yes Steam Remote/Mobile lets you buy games when you are away from the steam client, you can also start remote downloads as well.

One of my grid icons is missing a picture?
Steam now lets you add custom grid art, check here to see some artwork Gaf did.

I want to clean up my Steam folder of re-distributable packages ? (Direct X, GFWL Redist, Rapture3D, NVidia PhysX, etc)
Use TikiOne-Steam-Cleaner.

I am running out of space on my hard-drive, can I move my games onto another hard-drive?
Use SteamTool Library Manager or Steam Mover. Steam now lets you move your games to another hard-drive (not all games supported)

Anyone know where I can download skins for Steam?
Go here for a mega list, please make sure that the skin is safe to use.

Can I trade games?
If they are in your inventory then yes, you cannot trade games you have already purchased for your account, you cannot trade keys.
You can now also sell some of your tf2 inventory - such as crates. please use the Steam Trading thread for trading and not the Steam OT.

So when does the summer/winter sale start?
The summer sale starts around in summer, the winter sale starts around winter.

Any sites to compare Steam prices to other DD Sites?
Comparison of steam prices in different regions, you can also add this to the end of the the steam URL: ?cc=uk OR: ?cc=us
Compare steam game prices compared to other DD services: http://www.steamgamesales.com/

HEY GUYS! I want to brag about how many games I bought on Steam!

Nobody cares, NO REALLY, DO NOT POST DAMAGE LISTS!

But hey here's a few links to track your Steam stats, same rules apply - do not post it in this thread:

http://www.ddgamer.com/worth.php How much you bought at full price then at sale price, as well as monthly expenditures.
http://www.steamcalculator.com/ Work out how much you spent on steam.
http://wastedonsteam.com/ Tells you how much time you spent on steam and for each game.
http://steamscore.net/ See how many achievements you have unlocked as well as for each game.

Who is the girl in JaseC's avatar?
It's Saoirse Ronan.

iSZpPoI2PWQqE.png

http://www.direct2drive.com
http://www.gamersgate.com
http://www.impulsedriven.com
http://www.greenmangaming.co.uk
http://www.getgamesgo.com/
https://www.amazon.com/?tag=neogaf0e-20 (a few games may be region restricted.)
Humble Bundle, Indie Royale and Indie Gala are also trusted.

iM0x970qz9A9Z.png

The life story of Garry.

iPgrGIffjiyr9.png

iLRk5SYIwW7yU.png

Dr Dogg

Wow new thread time already. Making the hall of shame :(. I really think my output at work must be slipping.

Yaska

I really just need to start posting 20 times more often.

That's what I keep telling myself too :D

On-topic; Quite a big patch hit the Sonic ASRT, with VAC support amongst others, so racing should be even more fun online.

I'm enjoying it. Apparently it's short (three hours to finish the story, six to 100%) but it a nice run-through of Japenese game history and it has its own unique atmosphere amongst all the fan service. Depending on your history with those kinds of games $9 seems about right, $5 would be ideal though.

Thanks, just reading reviews as well and looks like it is a "pick up on sale" job. Will give it a go one day though.

Salsa

Evoland is like one of those concepts that sound good on paper but not really fun to play

like im sure there are parts that are great and then you get to another "era" and it's like "oh great now the game is shit"

SparkTR

Evoland is like one of those concepts that sound good on paper but not really fun to play

like im sure there are parts that are great and then you get to another "era" and it's like "oh great now the game is shit"

The gameplay itself doesn't change as you unlock other eras, it alternates between jRPG-like turn-based combat, old-school Zelda style combat and an overworld with different looking graphics,music and sound effects pretty much.

Salsa

The gameplay itself doesn't change as you unlock other eras, it alternates between jRPG-like turn-based combat, old-school Zelda style combat and an overworld.

I see

still tho, I dont really see the appeal

it just seems super gimmicky as a "oh hey, that's cool" thing that then it's just there

then again my idea of the game might just be all wrong

i'll give it a shot on a sale

kaleii

Wow, a new thread already. You think we'll ever see that Steambox?

Anyway, anyone buy Another World yet? I'm quite hyped.

SparkTR

I see

still tho, I dont really see the appeal

it just seems super gimmicky as a "oh hey, that's cool" thing that then it's just there

then again my idea of the game might just be all wrong

i'll give it a shot on a sale

It's kind of like that at times, the game itself is pretty linear so it can feel like a 'gallery' of those eras and conventions (like unlocking Mode7 etc), which isn't all that bad depending on your history with these games, and it does keep progress exciting. Though it does bring its own stuff to the table (music, story, boss fights etc) and features a cool ingame card game.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Can someone suggest a few recent-ish eye-candy games that I could get wowed by on my new PC? I've already played stuff like the Batman games, Metro 2033 and other such things I now don't care about re-downloading just to check out their graphics since they're not exactly replayable, and from the latest releases on my new PC I've gone through Tomb Raider, Crysis 3 and Resident Evil 6. I've already downloaded and re-deleted things like Skyrim and GTAIV which don't even look great anymore (and honestly GTAIV is still a POS unoptimized mess that went down to 30fps on a PC that didn't exist at the time of its release). Oh yeah, I checked out The Witcher 2 as well, and also uninstalled it since I don't care to do another replay of that either. Battlefield 3 and Planetside 2 worked as well, though I won't stick with the latter.

Played most of these, Dark Souls, Alan Wake and FarCry 3 too, not into RTS and racing though. Most of these actually looked and performed fine on the old PC as well.

I might download Hard Reset, I didn't particularly enjoy it but I mostly gave up on it early because it run pretty bad on the old PC.

And I'm redownloading Crysis 2 since I remember it being a little better than 3.

Edit; yeah, Hitman I didn't like much and it also run fine on the old PC and Bioshock Infinite I'm playing through slowly.

I guess I'll consider it, last racing game I played more than a few mins was Grid and Trackmania 2 if that counts (forgot to list the maniaplanet games, got those too, not exactly impressive).

Also don't want X3 before someone mentions those too.
Forgot to say, Assassin's Creed III too.

DarkFlow

Banned
Can someone suggest a few recent-ish eye-candy games that I could get wowed by on my new PC? I've already played stuff like the Batman games, Metro 2033 and other such things, and from the latest releases on my new PC Tomb Raider, Crysis 3 and Resident Evil 6, and I can't think of much else I haven't already played enough to not care to bother re-downloading them just to check out their graphics. I've already downloaded and re-deleted things like Skyrim and GTAIV which don't look great anymore (and honestly GTAIV is still a POS unoptimized mess that went down to 30fps on a PC that didn't exist at the time of its release).
Far cry 3 looks pretty good.

Glass Rebel

Can someone suggest a few recent-ish eye-candy games that I could get wowed by on my new PC? I've already played stuff like the Batman games, Metro 2033 and other such things I now don't care about re-downloading just to check out their graphics since they're not exactly replayable, and from the latest releases on my new PC I've gone through Tomb Raider, Crysis 3 and Resident Evil 6. I've already downloaded and re-deleted things like Skyrim and GTAIV which don't even look great anymore (and honestly GTAIV is still a POS unoptimized mess that went down to 30fps on a PC that didn't exist at the time of its release). Oh yeah, I checked out The Witcher 2 as well, and also uninstalled it since I don't care to do another replay of that either. Battlefield 3 and Planetside 2 worked as well, though I won't stick with the latter.

What about Battlefield 3?

Steaming hot Tea.

precisely

JordanKZ

Far Cry 3 is a great game that satisfies those needs. Just be aware that it uses uPlay, the platform that enjoys removing your save files at whim.

Dr Dogg

Far Cry 3 looks pretty sexy. BioShock: Infinite has a lot of UE3 bells and whistles. Hitman: Absolution is quite a looker (gameplay not to everyone's tastes).

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Just Cause 2
Total War: Shogun 2
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Complete
Max Payne 3
Shattered Horizon
Need For Speed Most Wanted (this game is EXTREMELY underrated graphically)
The Witcher 2
Battlefield 3

Those are some lookers.

oipic

Ah, a new thread - nice work once again, Monsieur Orange. My wallet and I shall settle in for the ride - keeping company with you glorious bastards costs me a fortune, but enriches life all the same. SteamGAF <3

May this thread be melt-down and account-suicide free.

Edit: man, I'd forgotten about that play-something-obscure-for-15-minutes-then-review-it thread - good times, but I guess its spirit is pretty much rolled into this thread now.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Dude, it's not Dobby Ronan, it's Salsa!

EDIT: I'm 4th on the shame list? Fuck, I broke my streak of 6th place on the previous threads.

Momentary

Banned

I like DLC Quest's concept better. I think they pulled that off quite nicely. I was about to buy Evoland today, but now I think I'll just wait.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone go get Bit.Trip Runner2, it's awesome.

BTW what's Gamersgate's daily deal?
I have 2 spare 25% off codes for Runner 2, in case anyone wants them. I won't be able to send them until tonight, so you'll have to wait.

DarkFlow

Banned
I think the thread title should have been more along the lines of "buys one game, OCD about it, wipe out 2k worth of games to get rid of it".

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Just Cause 2
Total War: Shogun 2
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Complete
Max Payne 3
Shattered Horizon
Need For Speed Most Wanted (this game is EXTREMELY underrated graphically)
The Witcher 2
Battlefield 3

Those are some lookers.
Played most of these, Dark Souls, Alan Wake and FarCry 3 too, not into RTS and racing though. Most of these actually looked and performed fine on the old PC as well.

I might download Hard Reset, I didn't particularly enjoy it but I mostly gave up on it early because it run pretty bad on the old PC.

And I'm redownloading Crysis 2 since I remember it being a little better than 3.

Edit; yeah, Hitman I didn't like much and it also run fine on the old PC and Bioshock Infinite I'm playing through slowly.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
If you want wow factor though, Most Wanted looks incredible. Like, really good. Hard Reset actually runs badly on my PC as well. I just gave up on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom