• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
If you want wow factor though, Most Wanted looks incredible. Like, really good. Hard Reset actually runs badly on my PC as well. I just gave up on it.
I guess I'll consider it, last racing game I played more than a few mins was Grid and Trackmania 2 if that counts (forgot to list the maniaplanet games, got those too, not exactly impressive).

Also don't want X3 before someone mentions those too.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Anyone ever used a VPN to activate a key, or know if Steam cares about it at all? Bought Dead Island from Amazon and it's restricted to US only.

Anyone ever used a VPN to activate a key, or know if Steam cares about it at all? Bought Dead Island from Amazon and it's restricted to US only.

They dont care at all. Nearly every person on steam used VPN at least once. For getting a game earlier or to activate a Steam key.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I knew about using a VPN to activate games, but I wasn't too sure about using one to redeem them. Guess they only care about people using a VPN to actually buy games,

omg_mjd

Borderlands 2 sale is tempting. Might as well grab it...playing Bioshock Infinite has rekindled my interest in first-person shooters.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Valve needs another community event to make their sales feel more 'special' than the competition. Those were the hooks back in the golden days of 2011.

Dr Dogg

Valve needs another community event to make their sales feel more 'special' than the competition. Those were the hooks back in the golden days of 2011.

Totally agree. Even if the rewards are just hats. I ended up playing a load of games and some I really enjoyed that otherwise would have been in the shadow of my backlog. I'm sure a lot of Indie guys would welcome this approach back as well. Don't know if the Christmas Gift Pile and coal farmers have killed off the meta game though.

MRORANGE

The reason they no longer do Steam achievements for sales is that it's all reliant on trying to get developers to join in and create the mini games inside their own game which can take time.

I think this was mentioned by a Valve employee on reddit.

derExperte

They dont care at all. Nearly every person on steam used VPN at least once. For getting a game earlier or to activate a Steam key.

Yeah, I got my account locked temporarily two times for buying a game through VPN directly in Steam but I think that was mainly because the fraud protection system jumped in. Activating keys or unlocking games earlier? I don't know a single person that ever saw the banhammer.

spectros4

Neo Member
Just Cause 2
Total War: Shogun 2
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Complete
Max Payne 3
Shattered Horizon
Need For Speed Most Wanted (this game is EXTREMELY underrated graphically)
The Witcher 2
Battlefield 3

Those are some lookers.

Especially Shattered Horizon. I picked it up during one of the sales last year, and it's a shame nobody plays it online anymore.

The reason they no longer do Steam achievements for sales is that it's all reliant on trying to get developers to join in and create the mini games inside their own game which can take time.

I think that and people abusing the heck out of it. There are reasons why we can't have nice things.

Making me buy and play games I never would have tried otherwise was amazing though. Running it through Gaf as Toma was kind enough to do was a nice compromise.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Yay new topic. Subscribed.

Also, Borderlands 2 and its Season Pass are the Deal of the Day in amazon, activates on steam and all that.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm still at the starting battles of Last Remnant (right after Dillmoor when the quests open) and it's confusing in the way that I think I know what I'm doing but I don't feel like I am, if that makes any sense. During the bite-sized tutorials the characters will explain things in about two sentences and I'm left like "ok but??". Basic things like Combat Arts (apparently) being more appropriate for single enemies and Mystic Arts for groups isn't even implied, the game's explanation is just "one works better on certain enemies than the other *shrug*". I wish the game had a help section in the menu with pictures and stuff.

Guess I'll have to resort to the internets for the explanations I want. It feels like it will be a fun game after I'm through this initial barrier. I'm liking it already, I just want to play and feel like I'm making the right decisions instead of slowly screwing myself.

Also dat tearing. Weird overlook that there's no in-game v-sync option but thankfully d3doverrider did the trick as usual.

Glass Rebel

Well, you don't have to create something new altogether. Adding achievements is a comparably trivial thing.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Agreed. They made me buy games I was on the fence with.

Looking back, it looks like I bought nothing during the 2012 sale on Steam. And I've only done a few purchases on Steam since 2011 Winter Sale.

Cheddahz

Banned
Yay new topic. Subscribed.

Also, Borderlands 2 and its Season Pass are the Deal of the Day in amazon, activates on steam and all that.

That's not a bad deal for anyone who has played Borderlands 2 yet. I personally got burned out on the game when I was playing it on the 360, but it's an enjoyable game

Can we only use the code once?

MNC

Borderlands 2 sale is tempting. Might as well grab it...playing Bioshock Infinite has rekindled my interest in first-person shooters.

After Bioshock Infinite, I kind of don't want to play other first person shooters. Heck, I don't even want to play games. I'm still busy sinking it all in...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Those achievement hunts were what led to a pretty sizeable category of games I have zero desire to play so I'm grateful they don't do it in a way.

Is anyone else having a problem loading Jamestown?

I keep getting a dialog box saying "uh oh there's an error" and then the game won't load. I'm wondering if it's because I changed graphics cards. That's the only thing that's changed.

Emailed their support but didn't get any answers so I thought I'd ask GAF just in case.

Deques

Doesn't work on $45 BI :(

Only works on these games
  • Battlefield 4
  • BioShock Infinite Season Pass
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Company of Heroes 2
  • Dead Island: Riptide
  • Defiance
  • Defiance Digital Deluxe Edition
  • GRID 2
  • Lords of Football
  • Metro: Last Light
  • Sacred Citadel
  • Speedball 2 Evolution
  • StarDrive
  • Star Trek

Source

Derrick01

Banned

Even without a game of some kind they can do themselves a favor by actually having good sales for a change. Amazon and GMG are running laps around them.

DSmalls84

Metro LL is $37.50 for me with the code.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Even without a game of some kind they can do themselves a favor by actually having good sales for a change. Amazon and GMG are running laps around them.

Laps for scraps.

-Amazon is fucking terrible about awareness. I wouldn't know about 99% of their sales if people didn't repost stuff from CAG. They send me emails about videogame deals. Did I get one about Borderlands 2 today? Nope.
-I would never heard of GMG if it wasn't for GAF. They have zero advertising power.

Just bought Borderlands 2 from Amazon. So glad I waited.

Sacred Citadel looks interesting. Added to my wishlist.

Really looking forward to La-Mulana. That's a day 1 purchase.

Ledsen

Laps for scraps.

-Amazon is fucking terrible about awareness. I wouldn't know about 99% of their sales if people didn't repost stuff from CAG. They send me emails about videogame deals. Did I get one about Borderlands 2 today? Nope.
-I would never heard of GMG if it wasn't for GAF. They have zero advertising power.

They don't need it. Their superior discounts drive word-of-mouth.

Glass Rebel

Laps for scraps.

Pretty much. Unless you're somewhat invested in online communities, neither offers the visibility Steam does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom