• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS4-

Can anyone confirm this? Saw the trailer and it looked pretty great. Would consider it, if it's good. Did it get some previous release somewhere else?

I have it on 360; it's uhh, well, average. I guess if you miss turned base games, you could get it.

Depending ont he price.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Since you are here Stumpokapow, my first PM to Modbot for a giveaway was for a Frozen Synapse key. however I never received a response.

Was the syntax for the key line I used the problem?
This is how I sent it ( the key in this post is for demonstration only, not the actual key sent to ModBot):

Frozen Synapse XXX0XXXX0X0XX0X00XX0

According to the guide I used the format given there:

Should I have put a ":" or other key to divide the name from the key?
Your formatting seems fine, though there's more to registering a giveaway so something else could have gone wrong. (Did you remember to put "register" in the subject of the PM, for example?)

I will note that Modbot has gone down a few times within the past few days because it was running off Stump's computer (which automatically restarted to apply Windows updates). So that could also have been the issue.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I figured they would do a franchise a day like, you know, every other damn publishers sale. Looks like I'm never getting Fall of Cybertron at this rate.

Somebody noted the other day that it was $10 or so on GameFly recently. I had no idea. :(

Grief.exe

I could watch Hearthstone videos all day.

The Arena mode is genius. Everyone plays with random decks so you aren't punished for having a lack of cards in your pre-con side.

I never knew I liked collectible card games until Scrolls and Hearthstone came around. I never even knew I enjoyed the strategy genre until XCOM.

I figured they would do a franchise a day like, you know, every other damn publishers sale. Looks like I'm never getting Fall of Cybertron at this rate.

Activision is laughable.

Somebody noted the other day that it was $10 or so on GameFly recently. I had no idea. :(

To my knowledge, best price its been so far.

I tend to monitor CAG, but its easy to miss something on that site. I will try to keep an eye out for it.

I may get it simply because I want more JRPGs on Steam.
I'm thinking of doing the same. I remember Ghostlight saying they were using it as a test to see how profitable it was to bring over jrpgs that didn't already have a PC port.

It's an Idea Factory game though, so it's pretty much guaranteed to be trash.

JaseC

I tend to monitor CAG, but its easy to miss something on that site. I will try to keep an eye out for it.

Come to think of it, GameFly probably doesn't sell the game to users outside North America, so I didn't actually miss out, which I suppose is the bright side.

Edit:
This title is available for purchase in Canada, Mexico and United States.

:(

Grief.exe

Xseed, Namco, and Konami all stepping up their output on the PC platform.

Its only a mountain of time before Japanese companies wakes up and sees there is quite a market on PC for these type of games. As well as the long-tail sales that are unique to this platform. When you are still generating significant income from a title a decade after release, then you are in quite a unique situation.

Activision is laughable.

Bobby Kotick: [laughs]

So I got to the final battle [I presume] in FTL. I thought I would prevail despite going into the fight with about 30% 'health' and did initially but then it all went horribly wrong very quickly *sigh*. Oh well, perseverance furthers and all that old chap!

Activision is laughable.

MSRP is the problem....game should not be $60. $10 is awesome, but discounts can't make up for a brutal starting line

Grief.exe

MSRP is the problem....game should not be $60. $10 is awesome, but discounts can't make up for a brutal starting line

The base price on the Gamefly sale must have been $40, assuming a discount of 75%.

Activistion sets the prices on the Steam store, so their strategy is, apparently, to keep the base price high.

Jame Retief

Neo Member
Your formatting seems fine, though there's more to registering a giveaway so something else could have gone wrong. (Did you remember to put "register" in the subject of the PM, for example?)

I will note that Modbot has gone down a few times within the past few days because it was running off Stump's computer (which automatically restarted to apply Windows updates). So that could also have been the issue.

I kept it simple for my first ModBot PM. Register in the title, the key as above, and BLACKLIST on the line below the key.

Others were using ModBot at the time so it seemed to be working fine. :shrug:

The base price on the Gamefly sale must have been $40, assuming a discount of 75%.

Activistion sets the prices on the Steam store, so their strategy is, apparently, to keep the base price high.

Thats nuts. Well I guess my strategy will be to continue to not buy it.

-

Damn, almost at OT 6? Whoa....

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
You most likely have your games filtered to a certain operating system. Many people had this same issue with Paranormal. To fix:

• In your browser, go to the info page of any game on Desura
  • In the top right it should say Platforms - Windows, Mac, Linux (some may not be there, depending on the game--screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/hqspMEy.png)
  • Click on Windows
  • All games will now show up in your collection, including Omegalodon
  • http://www.desura.com/collection
Many thanks for this.

I forgot about Paranormal (And which bundle I bought it from) so this reminded me to get the Steam key, as well as redeeming Omegadolon.

Will probably check out Paranormal ASAP, looks interesting.

JaseC

I just checked and the base price is $60, but you need to also factor in GF's 20% discount code. I'm guessing the game was 75% off and the aforementioned code took the final price down to $12.

A discount of 75% on Steam itself would be great as the base price on Steam AU is $10 less ($50), but who knows when that'll happen.

Tellaerin

Since you are here Stumpokapow, my first PM to Modbot for a giveaway was for a Frozen Synapse key. however I never received a response.

Was the syntax for the key line I used the problem?
This is how I sent it ( the key in this post is for demonstration only, not the actual key sent to ModBot):

Frozen Synapse XXX0XXXX0X0XX0X00XX0

According to the guide I used the format given there:

Should I have put a ":" or other key to divide the name from the key?

Did you use separators to break up the key itself? (ex: Frozen Synapse AAAA-BBBB-CCCC-DDDD)?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Hey, I just want to say it feels pretty good in here. People talking about giving away games, sales, good games, every 10 posts there's a hot blonde irish chick avatar...

No GTA V review/otherwise drama. Here's for another 20k messages of good fun and sales!

frogg609

Really wish my Command and Conquer keys were steam compatible. I see they are all on sale, but it seems like a lot to pay for just to have that Steam convenience.

honorless

I vote we keep 1-800-555-READOP in the title for OT6.

Xseed, Namco, and Konami all stepping up their output on the PC platform.

Its only a mountain of time before Japanese companies wakes up and sees there is quite a market on PC for these type of games. As well as the long-tail sales that are unique to this platform. When you are still generating significant income from a title a decade after release, then you are in quite a unique situation.
Not Xseed. You mean Falcom, who were mostly PC devs who licensed their properties to console developers until a couple of self-programmed PSP ports raked in incredible amounts of cash that their PC efforts hadn't.

Now most of their titles are made for consoles first, and the PC ports are outsourced for the Chinese market. Not saying definitively that Steam releases are going to dry up, but you might want to stay calm about it. Did you see the thread about the English version of Ys 7 PC? Yeahhhh... :////

I kept it simple for my first ModBot PM. Register in the title, the key as above, and BLACKLIST on the line below the key.

Others were using ModBot at the time so it seemed to be working fine. :shrug:
...Have you PMed it with the subject "my loot" to see if the giveaway registered at all?

If you don't get a response within a few minutes, I'd probably just try again.

Grief.exe

Hey, I just want to say it feels pretty good in here. People talking about giving away games, sales, good games, every 10 posts there's a hot blonde irish chick avatar...

No GTA V review/otherwise drama. Here's for another 20k messages of good fun and sales!

Not too worried about GTAV right now. I just have some of the best games of all time to play.
Can wait on the latest high-marketing, shallow, AAA release for the inevitable PC port.

I just checked and the base price is $60, but you need to also factor in GF's 20% discount code. I'm guessing the game was 75% off and the aforementioned code took the final price down to $12.

A discount of 75% on Steam itself would be great as the base price on Steam AU is $10 less ($50), but who knows when that'll happen.

Damn forgot to factor in the 20%.

Not Xseed. You mean Falcom, who were mostly PC devs who licensed their properties to console developers until a couple of self-programmed PSP ports raked in incredible amounts of cash that their PC efforts hadn't.

Falcom may have been the original Devs, but XSeed is the company stepping up with the translation and port.

I joined a a few months ago and I don't spend much time here so I don't know if it's like that all year but people seem a little "tense" on this forum, like people getting mad or getting into arguments or debates or whatever just because of a tiny remark. Most of the threads also seem to end in meaningless debates.
I don't know, maybe it's just because new consoles are out soon or something but it's just weird.

Sober

I joined a a few months ago and I don't spend much time here so I don't know if it's like that all year but people seem a little "tense" on this forum, like people getting mad or getting into arguments or debates or whatever just because of a tiny remark. Most of the threads also seem to end in meaningless debates.
I don't know, maybe it's just because new consoles are out soon or something but it's just weird.
thisisneogaf.gif would probably apply here

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
No. I put the key in exactly as it appears from the Humble Bundle Steam key page of my order.

Did you put "register" in the title? If so, try resending.

You just sent the my loot PM which it received, but it didn't send anything back because you haven't won anything and you don't have any unclaimed loot.

Ugggh, just finished Hard Reset. How fucking good is that game man? That's one of the best games I've played in years. Really really good game. I can see how people might have been annoyed at the game's abrupt ending in the original release but playing it through with the dlc seamlessly in there and considering it as a whole campaign, it was perfect imo. I really liked the exile portion. Wish Shadow Warrior wasn't launching at the price it is, but I might have to bite. Is there anything else modern like this, from the last year or so? Really hope they do a sequel now they're done with Shadow Warrior.

Wow. Love that feeling when the dev flies in from off your radar and arrives in your most highly regarded. Europe really does just push out amazing stuff. These guys, 4A, CD Projekt, great great stuff.

EDIT: Would Rise of the triad be a good next step?

Parsnip

I wish Konami would port some of its back catalogue over to PC (and Steam).
I'd pay good money for any and all Metroidvania style CV games. Never got to play any of the handheld ones for example.

But I suppose the chances are slim at best. :\

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'd pay good money for any and all Metroidvania style CV games. Never got to play any of the handheld ones for example.

But I suppose the chances are slim at best. :
I just want them to put the Silent Hill series on steam, most of the games already have PC ports anyway, and it's weird we only have Homecoming on Steam, which also happens to be the worst SH PC Port.

honorless

Falcom may have been the original Devs, but XSeed is the company stepping up with the translation and port.
They do step up with the translation. (Though just a reminder, the scripts for Oath in Felghana and Origin were actually licensed from a fan translator.) And their contract programmer (her name is Sara, I believe) does excellent work, but don't get it twisted. She's improving PC ports that already exist, not making them from scratch. The base version of Ys 1 & 2 PC was originally done by Falcom in 2001, and updated in 2009 for compatibility with newer OSes and a couple new features. Same with the Trails in the Sky games; the PC port that's being translated right now was made back in 2004.

Now we're starting to run out of Falcom ports. And if Joyoland is gonna be in charge of releasing the PC ports from now on because they won't license the code to anyone else or for whatever reason...we better hope they at least have the good sense to reach out to Carpe Fulgur or XSEED or somebody who has a clue about non-Chinese markets. Forget getting on Steam, somebody needs to tell them that shit like always online DRM on top of SecuROM with a single activation ain't gonna fly.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Yeah, that's pretty much all of NeoGaf.

Not on the Steam thread though, we're all good peeps here! (except from time to time when we go crazy off topic or the Sales Threads, oh god the sales threads)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Ugggh, just finished Hard Reset. How fucking good is that game man? That's one of the best games I've played in years. Really really good game. I can see how people might have been annoyed at the game's abrupt ending in the original release but playing it through with the dlc seamlessly in there and considering it as a whole campaign, it was perfect imo. I really liked the exile portion. Wish Shadow Warrior wasn't launching at the price it is, but I might have to bite. Is there anything else modern like this, from the last year or so? Really hope they do a sequel now they're done with Shadow Warrior.

Wow. Love that feeling when the dev flies in from off your radar and arrives in your most highly regarded. Europe really does just push out amazing stuff. These guys, 4A, CD Projekt, great great stuff.

EDIT: Would Rise of the triad be a good next step?

Rise of the Triad is great, but pretty different from Hard Reset.

If you're looking for some Hard Reset type shooters try Painkiller Black or the Serious Sam (shut up Stallion) series.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Instead of playing Serious Sam just look up kindergarten drawings on Google they have the same artistic merit and depth as an interactive experience. Except one is free.

Knurek

I would kill multiple CEOs (seriously, Konami, just name a company you'd want neutered) for a proper Pop'n Music PC port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom