• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evrain

I asked this a while ago, no one answered.

Thought people's curiosity would drive that charity to $500k, but apparently not
Looks like no one believed it was truly him. And besides, we all know what he will reply to THE question.
And you know what I mean.

The feeling when you have reached 101,69€ so far in your wallet ONLY based on selling cards.

tumblr_lgqwsbEa891qfjmnk.gif

Teach me your ways sensei.

Milamber

Interesting. My only concern would be the electricity bill increasing to the point where I'm either losing money or not making a profit.

Last time I turned off my PC was around last month. And only for an hour to air dust it. I never really cared about the power cost.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Where's the cheapest to get LEGO Movie for Steam?

Traders are selling copies for about $18/$19 at the moment, but I'd wait for it to hit Eastern Europe officially as $30 should translate to 499 Russiabucks (~$14.35 before profit margins).

Wonder if Jason is sleeping in Australia.

It's only 7:43pm. ;)

Edit: Err, well, 7:47 when I made this post. Looking into Lego Movie chewed up a few and I forgot to account for this, haha.

_hekk05

Banned
Traders are selling copies for about $18/$19 at the moment, but I'd wait for it to hit Eastern Europe officially as $30 should translate to 499 Russiabucks (~$14.35 before profit margins).

It's only 7:43pm. ;)

Wut. Where in aus do you love JaseC? You follow GMT+8? Perth?

JaseC

Wut. Where in aus do you love JaseC? You follow GMT+8? Perth?

Yeah, I'm one of the two or three AusGAFers who live on the other side of the country. ;) I don't live in Perth proper and, contrary to what my Steam profile says, I also don't live in Mandurah (it was just the closest option). I'm about 45 minutes south of the city (on a good day, and excluding the train).

JaseC

How does this work?

You simply input the app id of the game you want to idle in and then double-click it; an achievement window will pop-up and Steam will consider you in-game. If you're wary about using a third-party program, though, you can just use the steam_appid.txt trick:

Edit: The neat thing about using the above rather than SAM is that you can be playing one game while idling in another, although the trick breaks Steam integration in the executable Steam is tied to -- you'll still get the overlay and if the game uses your friends list for whatever reason, that will still be generated, but everything else, from the overlay's screenshot function to multiplayer (if it uses Steamworks), won't work. For instance, to continue with the Age 2 HD example, I couldn't view the leaderboards and I didn't earn the achievement for completing the William Wallace campaign.

Edit edit: Also, I should note that launching the game through Steam itself overrides the text file, so you must launch the executable from the game's installation folder.

I just finished Jazzpunk, the game is awesome. It reminds me a lot of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and even has a character basically ripped from the movie. Exploring everything is really rewarding, because there's so much dialogue and hidden animations.

WTF is that plz tell me I cannot stop laughing I want one of these things so bad I'll trade for my cat

It's a proboscis monkey.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Guys seriously get Jazzpunk

Edit: awesome. We are on the same wavelength. It's not getting enough attention.

amdnv

Could somebody educate me on what this "cards" thing is?
I have some cards in my Steam inventory, which appear to be literally just pictures or icons. Do they do anything? What's the point of them? What causes them to appear there in the first place? Why is there a sell button?

JaseC

I have some cards in my Steam inventory, which appear to be literally just pictures or icons. Do they do anything? What's the point of them? What causes them to appear there in the first place? Why is there a sell button?

Peruse this page.

Edit: One thing the FAQ neglects to mention is that each card has its own high-res image attached to it. For example, here's the image you see if you click on the TF2's Spy card:

Although you can't opt to use these images as Steam Community profile backgrounds, they're perfect for desktop use.

Coldsun

Banned

To make a long description short, the cards can be used to craft game badges. Crafting game badges will give you random game related steam profile items such as backgrounds or emotes that you can use in chat. Additionally, crafting the badge will increase your steam exp and eventually result in gaining a higher steam level. Steam levels unlock larger friend lists, and other steam profile perks.

It should be noted that not all games have trading cards and in turn, badges.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Peruse this page.

Edit: One thing the FAQ neglects to mention is that each card has its own high-res image attached to it. For example, here's the image you see if you click on the TF2's Spy card:

Although you can't opt to use these images as Steam Community profile backgrounds, they're perfect for desktop use.

8D...

Actually... I didn't know that until just right now, and I've been earning cards, making badges, and selling cards for a while.

Holy hell, that makes some of these so much cooler!

Like THIS card:

240fx240f

Turns into THIS:

Or THIS card:

Eversion_Foil_3.png

Turns into THIS:

That's pretty cool.

JaseC

My PixelJunk Shooter foil is going to sit on the market for yonks. Only three have ever sold, all at 89c.

Zafir

Guys seriously get Jazzpunk

Edit: awesome. We are on the same wavelength. It's not getting enough attention.

I got it on Friday, but I'm waiting for patches before I play it. Every time I tried to get through the first level, I hit something new to make the game unplayable. First it was slowdowns through the area, alt tabbed out to see if that would sort it, and couldn't get it back up so had to alt + f4. Second time I got further, but was ejected from the game world when I picked up the pigeon pheromone lol. Ended up under the city and was unable to move.

For anyone who wants a banner saga cheap I can get a four pack it would work out at roughly 6 TF2 Keys ~ €10.44 in steam credit each I'll be AFK most of the day but I'll be back later pm me if your interested

Arthea

little something in return

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gravity Badgers -- MB-9135D3D6728BBFBF - Taken by Boss Doggie

SteamGAF are the paradox games good?I seen that bundle and it seems good. I haven't played a single game from them. I only played Civ, Sim City, C&C before so will I like them? Are they taxing to your computer? My main gaming pc died on me (thanks short circuit!) so I am playing from a 2009 level pc.

fantomena

I really dislike GOGs method to download patches. According to my GOG library 3 games has updated patches, but I can't figure out if I need to download the entire game again to get the latest version or if there are any way to just download the patch file.

Arthea

My PixelJunk Shooter foil is going to sit on the market for yonks. Only three have ever sold, all at 89c.

look at the bright sight, at least you are getting foils. You know how many cards I have atm? around 500... with 0 foils dropped (><)

JaseC

uhm I'm having issues trying to add my mp3 collection from a drive, Steam Music doesn't scan the existing folders in that drive, any clue?

I have a similar issue -- Steam appeared to detect most of my music, but I had to add my film OST folder manually and no matter what I try I can't add the Hanna OST to my library. I just decided to wait for playlist support.

look at the bright sight, at least you are getting foils. You know how many cards I have atm? around 500... with 0 foils dropped (><)

Haha, that's rough. I've had my fair share of luck with foil drops in general.

Arthea

In case someone was wondering, Puzzler world is not a bad game for kids, all puzzles are fairly easy and somewhat even educational, good for younger kids even, especially math ones, these are really easy. Only exception would be crosswords, these had a few words I'm fairy sure are not in english language and can't be (><)

SteamGAF are the paradox games good?I seen that bundle and it seems good. I haven't played a single game from them. I only played Civ, Sim City, C&C before so will I like them? Are they taxing to your computer? My main gaming pc died on me (thanks short circuit!) so I am playing from a 2009 level pc.

Paradox Interactive games are good, only it kinda takes time to get into them, to learn to play, I mean. Some are more demanding on PC than others, and you don't really describe your PC, but I think you should be fine.

sprinkles

I just finished Dead Space 2, what a disappointment that was compared to the first game which I really enjoyed during my first playthrough half a year ago. I beat the game in under 9 hours, less than half of the time I needed for the original. The lack of proper bossfights until the end was sad (not that "shoot the yellow spot" in DS1 was THE innovation but the scope of the bosses made it fun). The game completely misses the atmosphere and the angst of being trapped alone in space and trades that in for a few more explosions and bigger set pieces.

And don't get me started on the story...

rtcn63

I just finished Dead Space 2, what a disappointment that was compared to the first game which I really enjoyed during my first playthrough half a year ago. I beat the game in under 9 hours, less than half of the time I needed for the original. The lack of proper bossfights until the end was sad (not that "shoot the yellow spot" in DS1 was THE innovation but the scope of the bosses made it fun). The game completely misses the atmosphere and the angst of being trapped alone in space and trades that in for a few more explosions and bigger set pieces.

And don't get me started on the story...

Avoid DS3 like head crabs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom