• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last few levels of Chaos Theory are surprisingly tough! Save scumming is the only way I can make any progress and it feels bad.

It's interesting playing the game after Blacklist and seeing just how tonally different they are. After Blacklist's ultra violent torture scenes, it's jarring seeing interrogations played for laughs. ("Are you gonna say monkey?") The soundtrack is also very unique, it's sad they dropped that style in later games.

This made me laugh. A lot.

Chaos Theory opens with a pretty vicious torture scene, though. At least, you walk in on one.

So... I had to quit the steam client because it was always starting automatically Aliens Colonial Marines.

Yes, that actually happened.

Is that that game at the top of your library list?

Edit: I say that because you could be accidentally starting it up that way if you're holding a key or something. That or steam hates you.

Zafir

Pfft. Figured out why I didn't realise Gunz 2 was playable, it's because it's region locked... Can't play it in the UK. -.-

Wouldn't have said "Yes" to it in steam greenlight if I knew I wouldn't even be able to play it!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Do you think they will somehow offer Steam keys of games? I have all the AC series, FC3, Prince of Persia and some random things in there, I'd hate to lose it all.

Who knows. It'd be a monumental effort to replace all of the Uplay integration with Steamworks.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Data is still on your HDD, just removes the sub from your library.

To iterate, it still shows up in Steam if you have it installed, but the "Play" button is replaced with a "Purchase" button. You can still right click the game in your library and select "Delete Local Content" to uninstall it.

Grief.exe

Believe it or not, the fact that Free Weekend games don't automatically uninstall is a huge issue for some people.

People are so lazy, right-clicking is very difficult.

On the other side of the coin, if Valve was automatically uninstalling games from people's libraries than there would be uproar as well. No win scenario apparently.

To iterate, it still shows up in Steam if you have it installed, but the "Play" button is replaced with a "Purchase" button. You can still right click the game in your library and select "Delete Local Content" to uninstall it.

Perfect explanation from Jshacks.

Almighty

People also really struggled relating to the actual protagonist.

That was my problem. I actually didn't mind the setting.

Well this might just show how out of touch I am, but I didn't notice that they add the free weekend stuff automatically to your library until just now. I normally launch my games from the desktop shortcuts so that might explain why i never noticed.

AC3's biggest flaw is its setting. Colonial America just isn't aesthetically or architecturally interesting.

Hell no, the setting is the best (and perhaps only excellent) part of that game. The cities are perhaps a bit too spread out for traditional AC-style movement, but that's the fault of the game design failing to properly evolve how the character moves, not the fault of the time period.

Assassin's Creed would be really lame - and would probably run out of settings pretty fast - if they limited themselves to periods where buildings were built tall and close together.

Kovaelin

This free weekend of CoD ghosts makes me really happy I didn't play it on release or get it later. I just don't have the time to become proficient at these types of games to enjoy myself anymore. Particularly when I am not good at console controls and go 360 controller.

Too bad free weekend doesn't include the campaign.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Would be really rad if Ubisoft gave me Steam Keys for all my AssCreed games, I own them in physical form so they all activate in uPlay. I tried that in the past with some developers like Frogwares and CD Project RED and they were more than happy to provide me with a Steam key for their non-Steamworks games. Don't think Ubi will be that cooperative though

Blizzard

Banned
Today I learned that though Steam has evolved to let you install to different drives, preloads are apparently locked to the C: drive? I'm guessing that means the unlock would also be to the C: drive, or are you given a choice then?

Garcia

In the end I think I settled with Civ V. I mean, III is challenging but I enjoy the perfect balance between micromanagement, fighting and exploration offered by V. The last wars I fought in III were really stressful, albeit rewarding, but I prefer to feel strategically challenged rather than being constantly invaded. I like to leave those intense adrenaline rushes for RTS games instead. It is frustrating to feel RTS-levels of excitement during a Civ III war while you remain handcuffed to MM, waiting for the next turn.

Still playing both, but I'm now leaning towards V.

Grief.exe

Today I learned that though Steam has evolved to let you install to different drives, preloads are apparently locked to the C: drive? I'm guessing that means the unlock would also be to the C: drive, or are you given a choice then?

No, it unlocks and installs on the pre-load drive.

There are ways around this that are a bit complicated.

I just preload and play the game on my SSD, then move it to my storage drive afterwards.

Turfster

You can symlink the depotcache dir, but yes, preloads are still locked to your Steam install directory.

Tizoc

No, it unlocks and installs on the pre-load drive.

There are ways around this that are a bit complicated.

I just preload and play the game on my SSD, then move it to my storage drive afterwards.

Huh? Could you elaborate on that please? I have Thief being pre-load installed to what It hink is my C drive, but my F drive is for Steam games.

Just finished Rogue Legacy for the first time. Now to try to 100% it and im done with the game.

Good luck, the achievements that were added in via patch are crazy hard. I gave up after failing badly at all the new ones. Very aggravating (1st world problems) to see a 100% game become a 90% game, or what have you.

Garcia

iqw0VtKr6m2UB.gif

I don't even like driving/racing simulators that much but damn, that looks gorgeous.

Well I can finally add another 100% to my account : Tomb Raider (2013). Had to basically use a guide to finish off the challenges. I know the game gets a bad rap, but I really had an enjoyable time with it (about 26ish hours total in SP). Story was basically shit, but the gameplay was good enough to keep me playing. Really interested if they decide to go with a sequel.

Does anyone know how to get categories to sync between computers? With in-home streaming, I'm logged into on two computers at the same time...but the categories seem to be independent of each other.

Phinor

Is that seriously in-game?

Project Cars doesn't look nearly as impressive while actually playing. You can get gorgeous gifs and images but while driving there's flickering, color balance is all over the place etc. It still looks pretty good (great models etc) but I prefer Assetto Corsa or even older stuff like iRacing over Project Cars.

Jørdan;101989427 said:
You're very welcome, enjoy hunting them down! After 122 hours I only have 26, I've found there are 1300 ways to die too.

Sheesh. Yeah, I think I might like this little game. I am into the low impact, quick jump into games rather than the cinematic games these days and this fits the bill I think. Lots of stuff to figure out though, already died twice within moments of starting. What is a good starting build? any suggestions? melee I think.

Wok

Speaking of framerate, I have been playing point-and-click adventure game "Lilly Looking Through" and the game seems to run slowly as if the framerate was really low. Is there a tool to assert this claim? Like Fraps maybe?

The framerate is somewhere between 30 and 45 frames per second when the game is smooth. I am going to check more closely next time there is a slow down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom