• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
I never caught in the simulation-hype is it just any good for anyone outside the simulations-community?

Most of these games are really bad, i just like them for the trash factor which can be really funny when played with friends.

And of course the all mighty +1

Aerocrane

I asked about the Steam version of Trials Fusion and the pre-order bonuses on Twitter, got a response.
ixM084z39KKk3.PNG

Now I can start downloading the closed beta from Steam.

Milamber

Euro Truck Simulator 2 v1.9 update is out!
Code:
  • Brand new traffic AI system
  • Oculus Rift support (with the -oculus launch option - this will be improved in the future), now also in the retail version
  • Early support for gamepad-controlled mouse cursor
  • Improved handling of automatic gearbox (more gears, interaction with cruise control)
  • Improved compatibility with semi-broken prefabs used in mods
  • Improved error handling in radio playback
  • Updated defaults for the Xbox 360 controller in the input wizard to provide a better initial experience.

Models:
  • Scania Streamline improvements (model, textures, paint jobs, new parts and accessories) - you may need visit truck dealer and re-purchase some parts
  • Volvo FH16 improvements (interior, wipers, shadows)
  • Iveco Hi-way improvements (dashboard computer, shadows)
  • Paintjobs are properly applied on add-ons in interior views

Sound:

• V8 engine sounds for Scania R and Scania Streamline.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

World of Zoo -- MB-E1F8EB355080536E - Taken by Anteater
Air Conflicts: Vietnam -- MB-800F9665DD5D9E1D - Taken by topyy
Pole Position 2012 -- MB-B10C99A1D822B9BF - Taken by Ruruja
Bridge Project -- MB-591BAD78E61CA7C2 - Taken by FiveElementNinja
Roller Coaster Rampage -- MB-007E26B5AAE62295 - Taken by YianGaruga
Ride 'em Low -- MB-59944890665AB9FA - Taken by Evrain
Professional Farmer 2014 -- MB-8B85B9126DB0AC0A - Taken by BernardoOne

Apparently I also didn't own RACE's Caterham expansion, which is odd as I bought the SimBin Mega Bundle during last year's last Summer Sale.

The_Super_Inframan

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Robot Roller-Derby Disco Dodgeball -- MB-255588AA5F46B4BE - Taken by Arthea. 16 entrants total.

t1395775102z1.png

Copons

Hovertows.

Holy shhhhhhhhhhh

Better yet: hovertows with auto power-lacing hooks!

Surpisingly enough, not being a teenager in USA 80s or in a Pavement video, I don't give a damn about hoverboards but please inject in my veins those auto-adjustable clothes because I've gained some weight in the last couple of years and my only one expensive suit doesn't fit me anymore. :(

I never caught in the simulation-hype is it just any good for anyone outside the simulations-community?

It depends on the game.

Euro Truck Simulator 2 is an excellent game, even if you're not into trucks and whatnot.
Beautiful to see, relaxing to play and challenging when you have to reverse park your truck.
Of course you won't get anything out of it if your approach is Burnout-like (except some not-so-cool barrel rolls), but if you need some good hours of laid back gameplay then it's great.

Nzyme32

Because Valve won't hire people specifically for Steam tasks or that mostly want and qualified only to work on that.
The Beta updates are fixes and tweaks more than features. If not a single person at Valve all these years cared to add proper categorization to the library, then i don't know what to say. It shouldn't take one person more than a few minutes to make it happen - but it doesn't.

So all i'm left to say is that their hiring strategy and culture shouldn't be extended to the Steam client development.

Hiring staff that are targeted towards steam would probably go against their flat structure and philosophy that people get to work on what they want to work on (dependant on their abilities).

In regards to the steam client, the beta is getting a lot of interesting updates, but I would actually take a guess that they have been working on a new client for some time, particularly due to there expected move to user generated stores and a move away from curating steam as well. Chances are it will come out within the period that steam machines and everything else hit the public.

When particularly looking at the question of "why can't I categorise my library", it is a simple feature to implement - unless it is involved in a far larger system change that they plan to release. It may be pointless to implement a system of categorisation now, with the knowledge that those user defined categories are then unusable following a change in their system. There was mention a while ago of implementing a system that allowed simple optimisation of games and easy identification of components that are hindering the experience/need upgrading. Together with user generated stores, tags, and whatever else they are planning, maybe it will all make sense when ever they discuss it more publicly - hopefully soon

topyy

Spares:

Apparently I also didn't own RACE's Caterham expansion, which is odd as I bought the SimBin Mega Bundle during last year's last Summer Sale.

thanks,JaseC.

ModBot said:
Instructions for topyy:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Last Knight -- MB-0A833AE2DDE77560 - Taken by Saty. 7 entrants total.

t1395765698z1.png

unlock now?
activate on desura and go to http://www.desura.com/collection take a steam key.

hohoXD123

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV: Drop A Titan On Steam's Servers
STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV: Must Maintain Them Servers
STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV: Based Gaben Has Answered
STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV: "Well, I'm A Handsome Man With A Charming Personality"

The_Super_Inframan

And some more...

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Ride 'em Low -- MB-FEBC46455C96C465 - Taken by Widdly Scuds. 8 entrants total.
Bridge Project -- MB-F5F099E7BA0FFA6E - Taken by nampad. 11 entrants total.

t1395775868z1.png

fantomena

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV: It's Tuesday today
STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV: Prepare for connectiondrop
STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV: Offline is the new online
STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV: Is it down? No just Gabe taking a dump

for those waiting on Nvidia GPU news, looks like Maxwell won't be the GPU line to look out for, but Pascal

its unified memory feature got moved to Pascal and now they only list DX12 as a feature lol

Copons

The Steam servers being down is just Valve giving us a console like experience. xD

Rarely had any problem with Xbox Live (PSN on the other hand...), so it reminds me more of the good old WoW days, when I was used to enter the queue to get in before dinner so that after I climbed up at most half of it, and then after another hour or so, once finally in game, being kicked out because I had to go take a pee. :D

vermadas

For anyone else who may be interested, the discrepancy between US and Russian prices for Trials Fusion Deluxe is much higher than just the base game.

Russian prices in USD via Enhanced Steam:

Trials Fusion: $16.80 (-16%)
Trials Fusion Deluxe: $22.40 (-44%)

Traders are selling the Deluxe version for 12 - 13 TF2 keys.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Optimistic theory time: Fable is 85% off because Microsoft wants to drum up some interest in the as-yet-to-be-unveiled GFWL-free Fable 3.

kiyomi

Is there a problem uploading avatars today? I've been wrestling with it for ages. I can get it to upload an older avatar, but it won't allow a new one and just shows transparent.. nothingness. ;_;

Nabs

It looks like LEGO Marvel Super Heroes is going Steamplay (PC/Mac).

Changed Depots
249131/config/oslist: windows
249132/config/oslist: macos
249132/name: LEGO MARVEL Super Heroes Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom