• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milamber

That's perfect for ModBot mystery giveaways.
umc5OpV.jpg

zkylon

zkylewd
i mean i guess it's an old game since it's 2001, so at least it's not like one of those "ironic" shitty games, it's probably just a game that aged really bad

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dunno about you guys but if a game is Console Exclusive on the PS4, even if it doesn't need Sony to save it from not being made, then GAF rejoices.
If the same would occur but be on the XBone, GAF and the internet are in an uproar.
That certainly aligns with what I've seen in threads.

dex3108

GMG says this regarding GTA V so no pre-load today for GMG buyers.

GTA V UPDATE!

Everyone who has pre-purchased Grand Theft Auto V WILL receive their keys in time for pre-loading ahead of the game's release on April 14th.

As soon as we have specific info regarding timing around key delivery and instructions for redemption, we'll be announcing this across our social media channels, so stay tuned for more on this to come.

Thanks again to everyone for your understanding and patience. Not long to go now

fantomena

Might be because MS has been on top of shit mountain since the Xbone reveal. GAF gives anyone who does some bullshit shit and so far this gen MS is on top of shit mountain.

dex3108

My opinion was and still is that third party exclusives should be timed exclusives (min 6 months). That is long enough that those exclusives push console and in that 6 months it will be released another exclusive that will continue to push that console. Third party developers will earn more money so they can make more games and pay their devs, gamers will get game to play on platform they own/prefer.

First party exclusives should stay permanent exclusives.

fantomena

My opinion was and still is that third party exclusives should be timed exclusives (min 6 months). That is long enough that those exclusives push console and in that 6 months it will be released another exclusive that will continue to push that console. Third party developers will earn more money so they can make more games and pay their devs, gamers will get game to play on platform they own/prefer.

Well, The Order, Bayonetta 2, Sunser Overdrive, Ratchet & Clank and a shitload of other games are third party exclusives.

dex3108

Better than R* Support's "Buy the game on Steam or the R* site if you want to pre-load" that was shown a day or two ago, at least.

They will release it 2 days before and call it a day :D

Well, The Order, Bayonetta 2, Sunser Overdrive, Ratchet & Clank and a shitload of other games are third party exclusives.

And does Sunset Overdrive for example still sells X1 and is it relevant today? Will it be relevant for X1/MS this fall? I don;t see nothing wrong in publishing those games on other platforms after certain period. It is good for all parties in my opinion.

_hekk05

Banned

That sounds good in theory, except modern AAAs require such a large budget that it would not make economic sense for studios to make games without publisher/console backing. This applies especially to new IPs.

Even if there might be a case in terms of revenue, its a fact that there is usually way too much risk for most studios to stomache.

That's excluding the other benefits third parties obtain by sticking to one console, such as marketing, development help, and all sorts of other things that are talked about in closed doors that we'll never hear about.

So it doesn't matter what you think or feel. Money always talks the loudest. Reducing risk always pays off, whereas sales might not happen.

fantomena

And does Sunset Overdrive for example still sells X1 and is it relevant today? Will it be relevant for X1/MS this fall? I don;t see nothing wrong in publishing those games on other platforms after certain period. It is good for all parties in my opinion.

When it comes to Sunset it has been rumored to release on PC for qutie a while, I assume it will come to PC, but only for Windows 10 store.

dex3108

That sounds good in theory, except modern AAAs require such a large budget that it would not make economic sense for studios to make games without publisher/console backing. This applies especially to new IPs.

Even if there might be a case in terms of revenue, its a fact that there is usually way too much risk for most studios to stomache.

That's excluding the other benefits third parties obtain by sticking to one console, such as marketing, development help, and all sorts of other things that are talked about in closed doors that we'll never hear about.

So it doesn't matter what you think or feel. Money always talks the loudest. Reducing risk always pays off, whereas sales might not happen.

Yes but after a year that title is not relevant to publisher who paid development. Why stop developer to publish that game on other platforms then? If game is good publisher will earn money and push/sell consoles in 6 months and they got what they payed and devs god risk free development. If game is bad they won't get anything and dev could be in danger, but they could still publish game on other platforms and earn bit more money *JeseC will buy it on Steam no matter how bad it is!) :D

Another example Nintendo payed Bayonetta 2 development and Platinum made amazing game but that didn't help Nintendo to much. They could allow Platinum to publish that game on other platforms for certain % of profit. Nintendo will get more money back that they invested in game development.

When it comes to Sunset it has been rumored to release on PC for qutie a while, I assume it will come to PC, but only for Windows 10 store.

We will see MS told us that they will bring more X1 exclusives to PC.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I suspect MS will use the Win10 Xbox app as a middle-man, like Ubi with Uplay, so it can sell its games on Steam without forsaking its own service.

Advent Rising is good?

or bad?

you decide.

Yes.

There are good parts about it. The graphics are just ok. The game play is good and it feels like the story is going places however keep in mind that it was the first part of a trilogy and the story is all setup. You will not be satisfied when the game ends.

_hekk05

Banned
Yes but after a year that title is not relevant to publisher who paid development. Why stop developer to publish that game on other platforms then? If game is good publisher will earn money and push/sell consoles in 6 months and they got what they payed and devs god risk free development. If game is bad they won't get anything and dev could be in danger, but they could still publish game on other platforms and earn bit more money *JeseC will buy it on Steam no matter how bad it is!) :D

You misunderstand the problem fundamentally. Consoles will ONLY pay if the game IS exclusive or subsidise if its a temporary exclusive. Its called a contract. You don't break contracts unless you want to get sued. And they will win. And nobody will ever make another contract with your studio again.

You sacrifice long term sales in return for greatly diminished risk. That's usually a good trade, especially at the start of a generation.

JaseC

Yeah, it'd basically be a repeat of GFWL, only without the third-party support, so at least long-term you'd only have to worry about your recently-released Microsoft games not being fully functional.

Speaking of the Xbox app, though, did anybody else here get into the Fable Legends beta some weeks ago? I don't have Win10, so I haven't played it.

redlacs

if you redeem Drive to hell (from Build a Greenlight 5) on desura, you can generate another working steam key there
(same with Battlepaths and Last Knight.. not sure if there were any others)

dex3108

Uhu, I'm checking first 15 minutes of Witcher 3...and I have this bad feeling because world and characters seem done of plastic :l

Characters are way better than in W2 and i don't have any complains on that field. Foliage on the other hand is in my opinion not that good.

You misunderstand the problem fundamentally. Consoles will ONLY pay if the game IS exclusive or subsidise if its a temporary exclusive. Its called a contract. You don't break contracts unless you want to get sued. And they will win.

You sacrifice long term sales in return for greatly diminished risk. That's usually a good trade, especially at the start of a generation.

I never said that developer should break contracts. I said that publisher (Sony, MS, Nintendo) should allow devs to publish game on other platforms after certain period of time.

It is sad that many gamers won't be able to play Bayonetta 2 and probably there won't be Bayonetta 3.

_hekk05

Banned
I never said that developer should break contracts. I said that publisher (Sony, MS, Nintendo) should allow devs to publish game on other platforms after certain period of time.

It is sad that many gamers won't be able to play Bayonetta 2 and probably there won't be Bayonetta 3.

You still fundamentally misunderstand the issue. Why should the publisher allow that? Why pay so much money for something that slips away?

So the payout is less, studios bear more risk. Big studios can get away with this, but smaller studios or newer studios cannot manage this risk.

What you're talking about makes no economic sense, which is why its destined to forever be message board fodder.

Want to play Bayonetta 2? Buy a WiiU.

dex3108

You still fundamentally misunderstand the issue. Why should the publisher allow that? Why pay so much money for something that slips away?

So the payout is less, studios bear more risk. Big studios can get away with this, but smaller studios or newer studios cannot manage this risk.

What you're talking about makes no economic sense, which is why its destined to forever be message board fodder.

Want to play Bayonetta 2? Buy a WiiU.

They still could take % of profit from sales on other platforms. Everything can be negotiated. I am sure that Nintendo lost money on Bayonetta 2 deal. People won't buy Wii U for that one game is they are not interested in rest of the Nintendo games.

Zeknurn

Yeah, it'd basically be a repeat of GFWL, only without the third-party support, so at least long-term you'd only have to worry about your recently-released Microsoft games not being fully functional.

Speaking of the Xbox app, though, did anybody else here get into the Fable Legends beta some weeks ago? I don't have Win10, so I haven't played it.

From what I can see, the Fable Legends beta for Windows 10 hasn't started yet.

Tizoc

To be fair the Wii U has a good selection of games aside from Bayo 2, however those amount to maybe what under 20 games? Then again there is also the Wii VC which is also worth investing into.

On the other hand, not everyone has room for 2 consoles and can only commit to one.

Imagine if Ninty's NX service would bring their Wii U library to PC/Steam though :p

They still could take % of profit from sales on other platforms. Everything can be negotiated. I am sure that Nintendo lost money on Bayonetta 2 deal. People won't buy Wii U for that one game is they are not interested in rest of the Nintendo games.

Bayo2 was a risk Nintendo took to have more hardcore gamers buy their platform. they gain nothing by allowing the game to appear on other platforms because it justifies people not buying their hardware for an exclusive game.

look, while no one really likes the idea of games being hardware exclusive in the case of Bayo2 we're talking about a game that wouldn't exist if it weren't for nintendo funding it. People are just going to have to get over it already, some games aren't going to come to their platform of choice and that's ok.

...help me god i'm 27 years old
Happy birthday zkylon! Didn't know we are so close to each other.
Uhu, I'm checking first 15 minutes of Witcher 3...and I have this bad feeling because world and characters seem done of plastic :l
I get you. But to be fair that video from IGN is badly compressed, so the "plasticy" look could very well stem from the smearing.
I advise you to watch some much higher bitrate footage of Witcher 3 at Gamersyde. It looks much better detailed and thus less plasticey.
Dunno about you guys but if a game is Console Exclusive on the PS4, even if it doesn't need Sony to save it from not being made, then GAF rejoices.
If the same would occur but be on the XBone, GAF and the internet are in an uproar.
I kinda agree. But there are folks like that in every camp.
Also I don't think Bloodborne is a good example as for all we know the game was directly given as an order from Sony to make and not bought exclusivity during development.
The rapture game is I hope only timed exclusive on PS? Would suck if full. Their explanations with "without Sony's funding, we couldn't make it this big or whatever" boils down to your trust into the devs words in the end. I am not that convinced tbh.
Bayonetta 2 for WiiU was a total nutcase though in terms of fan rage. I mean the game would literally not exist without Nintendo's funding, so I see absolutely no logical reason to call it "betrayal". It doesn't make sense and is petty.
Same goes with Xbox. Tizoc, people are not raging why Sunset is exclusive you know. Tomb Raider was for all we know always planned as a multiplat release. Xbox plainly bought timed exclusivity. I can understand the reaction of people in that case. Sony has been doing that as well - a lot more tbh afaik. Just not such big games.
well this is new O_O

That looks interesting. I actually enjoy watching "movie cuts" of fighting game SP's on Youtube, so this is to my liking.

_hekk05

Banned

Sorry mate. That's not how it works. The new publisher takes a cut from the studio, then you take an additional cut from the studio. The studio ends up not making that much money from an additional sale, and no publisher would be willing to pay you up front for the same amount if your game is going to end up exclusive anyway.

In the end, you would be better off just getting a small subsidy for temporary exclusivity, and we've already established that certain studios just cannot bear that much risk.

That's even ignoring the logistical nightmare that will probably occur if you want to move money everywhere. How would the publisher even track how well the game sells on a separate platform? You have to take into account your cut, the rival publisher's cut, the price of the actual software, and any other additional pieces of information, all of which can vary with sales or promotions.

And that's ignoring fans who want to buy the game on their respective platform. It might not be yours.

JaseC

From what I can see, the Fable Legends beta for Windows 10 hasn't started yet.

Yeah, I took a closer look at the e-mail I received on January 31st and the code is for the X1 even though I selected PC when signing up.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
woohoo ... new Cities: Skylines patch :)

Greetings Chirpies!

Easter is over, and so is the wait for the next patch for Cities: Skylines. As previously mentioned our core focus lies in solving the most common technical and accessibility issues some users are experiencing which should be clearly noticeable in this update.

You might recognize some of these patch notes from previous threads, the reason being that we patched previously and then retracted it due to unexpected technical issues.

Please note that if you run a heavily modded version of the game you might want to disable your mods and start a new city to ensure the vanilla game works properly - before you try running your modded city. We can not assume responsibility for the stability of your game when using mods but highly guarantee this practice (as well as regularly backing up your saves!)

If you're experiencing issues with this patch please inform us in this thread so that we can easily monitor the severity and frequency of your problem.

Patchnotes 1.0.7c (incl. 1.0.7b and 1.0.7)
  • Fixed: disappearing custom assets should now show normally
  • Modding: assembly version should now be ignored when loading a map
  • Misc: Embedded mod information to save games (to help debugging and for future improvements)
  • Asset editor: fixed an issue where dragging/rotating props may conflict
  • Asset editor: fixed user-made LOD model getting overwritten by a generated one in some cases
  • Asset editor: fixed problems sometimes occurring when rescaling models in the import window
  • Localization: German loading tips improved
  • Warning text added when enabling a mod
  • Save to cloud box now remain checked if the loading was performed from a cloud save
  • Japanese garden for everyone
  • Added command line parameter "-limitfps x" to set a target fps
  • Mac/Linux: Fixed custom assets not loading due to an invalid PNG format.
  • Mac: Removed menu bar & docks in fullscreen mode
  • Asset Editor: the default size of assets created from templates now matches the template size if loading props
  • Asset Editor: fixed a case where the default textures may get corrupted and require to restart the game
  • Asset Editor: already placed props can now be moved around and rotated in place (respectively using the left and right mouse click) when no tools are selected
  • Asset Editor: fixed cases where LODs may not rotate with the building in the import panel
  • Steam workshop: Steam fixed the workshop not being showing when in offline mode in the latest Steam client release (24 Mar)
  • Locale: added LOADING text
  • Misc: fixed a case where command line arguments may conflict
  • Misc: removed an invalid key binding option
  • Misc: Added screenshot shortcuts to rebindable input (default is F12 for normal screenshot and shift+F12 for hi-res screenshot, also local screenshots now go to gameUserFolder/Screenshots) Steam screenshot feature is untouched and still the preferred method to take screenshots
  • Misc: Info views panel added to the Escape chain so the last Escape press will close the info views now
  • Misc: Save map does not show builtin and workshop maps any longer
  • UI: Fixed arrows sprites not showing feedback when interacted with
  • UI: Fixed color picker color not displaying in the right color space
  • No more duplicate name error for identical names coming from different packages
  • Paths can not be built inside elevated roads anymore
  • Elevated roads can now be upgraded or changed direction if one-ways
  • .ccs files displayed in red can now be selected in the load panel when trying to recover a failed save (when a save fails and attempt to preserve itself generating a .ccs file)
  • French localization improved
  • General audio improvements (should help address the sound stuttering issue with some sound cards)

We'd like to thank you all for being patient with us in these times of post-launch funsies (we promise that's the professional term) and hope that we can continue working together to better Cities: Skylines one update at a time!

Regards,
The Cities: Skylines Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom