• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam client update adds universal in-game screenshots! (on cloud) [Better Voice Too]

Zomba13

wwm0nkey said:
Love it

http://i52.tinypic.com/wkpaox.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
:O Awesome!
I gotta take pics for all my non steam games tomorrow! I've recently added all my non steam games to steam so I've got plenty if pic taking tomorrow :)

Nif

Neat, I'd been doing sort've the same thing for a couple months now using Fraps and dropbox. Cool that it's on your profile, though.

WillyFive

wwm0nkey said:
Fuck that, steam should make its own console lol basically make a Steam OS but you get the point.

It would just be a Phantom, basically.

I was thinking more on being the Firefox to Internet Explorer. You can choose to use (or some games will come with) with either XBL/PSN/WFC or Steam.

Some Wii games already do this, they use a third party online system instead of Nintendo's Friend Code system.

Steam should hop in and conquer, they would bring a better experience than any of the three big ones.

MoFuzz

DarkUSS said:
Regarding voice chat what Steam really needs to address is the proper support of headsets. I hate it that I'm forced to hear other people's voices through the speakers and not through my headset when I play L4D2.
You mean voice through headset and game audio from desk top speakers? Meh, I'd rather they fix the immense mic lag first.

OMG Aero

Diablohead said:
Nice! so if you add a game from outside steam now your screenshots can work as a background image for them instead of just some colour gradiant, you also get an image gallery option. So nice.

Now if only it could allow custom images for some of the other steam game views...
This is the only thing I really want from Steam right now. I don't see why they don't just let you upload a banner image like you can with an icon for non-Steam games.

Erebus

MoFuzz said:
You mean voice through headset and game audio from desk top speakers? Meh, I'd rather they fix the immense mic lag first.
Yep, it's really lame that way as I find it hard to understand what people are saying with the game audio on the background.

epmode

MoFuzz said:
You mean voice through headset and game audio from desk top speakers?
I don't even think this is possible in Windows. If there's a way to isolate certain sounds to one device while another device plays the rest, I'd love to know about it.

Maybe something like that could happen with specialized drivers for the headset?

edit: Reworded.

RedSwirl

Steam is like a collection of all the features I want to see Sony and Microsoft implement next gen.

I hope Ken Levine is right and PC gaming becomes a crystal ball into the future of console gaming.

Red

RedSwirl said:
Steam is like a collection of all the features I want to see Sony and Microsoft implement next gen.

I hope Ken Levine is right and PC gaming becomes a crystal ball into the future of console gaming.
I've been saying it for a while now: Steam is the one console future. Valve is leagues ahead of everyone else in the industry in being able to establish systems that benefit all involved with the distribution process: developers, publishers, and the end user. Everyone else is getting it wrong, stumbling around in circles and forgetting which way to go, while Valve is constantly moving forward.

This is a small change, but it's another example of that momentum.

M_A_C

epmode said:
I don't even think this is possible in Windows. If there's a way to isolate certain sounds to one device while another device plays the rest, I'd love to know about it.

Maybe something like that could happen with specialized drivers for the headset?

Yes it's definately possible, you can do it with skype, muble, etc.

Erebus

epmode said:

If it's possible in IM applications, I don't see why Steam can't do it.

MoFuzz

DarkUSS said:
Yep, it's really lame that way as I find it hard to understand what people are saying with the game audio on the background.
Never found it to be a problem, particularly when most games give separate volume sliders for game audio and voice audio, but I guess having the extra isolation would be nice.

More options are always great, but I still think the mic lag is a bigger concern. The whole idea of using a mic is for fast, efficient communication, but this is stifled when the person on the other end doesn't hear your call for help until 3 seconds later.

Erebus

MoFuzz said:
Never found it to be a problem, particularly when most games give separate volume sliders for game audio and voice audio, but I guess having the extra isolation would be nice.

More options are always great, but I still think the mic lag is a bigger concern. The whole idea of using a mic is for fast, efficient communication, but this is stifled when the person on the other end doesn't hear your call for help until 3 seconds later.
3 secs lag? I never noticed anything like this in L4D2 at least.

scitek

Next, add an FPS Limiter so I can play Crysis at a steady 30fps.

EDIT: Does this capture FPS counters and the like? If so, it'll capture MLAA too, right?

EDIT2: Yes it does!

Aon

Running the Beta update Steam seems to always crash for me in the game library.

Upon the most recent crash it updated for a few seconds while restarting.

Could this be it?! :D

EDIT: Post update my steam is no longer crashing, although Screenshots are no longer working. I'll take them and the overlay will pop up with screenshots, but once I exit the game they're nowhere to be found. Growing pains.

mrpeabody

DarkUSS said:
Try 'voice_overdrive 6', it does wonders for L4D2 and TF2.

zombieshavebrains said:
I tried adding BG2 to my list and take a screenshot, no dice. I tried it with WoW and it worked. Anyone have a list of games that only support DirectX 8 or lower?

Anything from before about 2004. Old sprite-based games like Starcraft and BG2 are out, Deus Ex is out. Once you get into the NWN2/Oblivion era you should be OK.

Teknoman

DarkUSS said:
Regarding voice chat what Steam really needs to address is the proper support of headsets. I hate it that I'm forced to hear other people's voices through the speakers and not through my headset when I play L4D2.

epmode said:

Would be nice since its one of the things console gaming online has over PC.

Forkball

Pretty interesting, but since my laptop isn't exactly a gaming machine I won't be using it often due to embarrassment.

Lyon

If you were getting crashes give it another whirl, it's been fixed on my end.

Is anyone else having an issue where all non Steam game are being tagged as Firefox? Because that means any pic in a non steam game shows up as a background image for any non steam game. Right now Guild Wars images are popping up behind Bad Company 2.

Zomba13

How do you get pics taken to use as backgrounds for the library? I took a bunch of Sonic Fan Remix ones and the don't show up.
Also, I'm sure this steam update almost broke my computer. After it working fine for the first game it just consantly crashed soon after starting steam and when I turned my PC on today it said it was unable to start and the system restore failed. After rebooting it worked fine though.

Zomba13 said:
How do you get pics taken to use as backgrounds for the library? I took a bunch of Sonic Fan Remix ones and the don't show up.
Also, I'm sure this steam update almost broke my computer. After it working fine for the first game it just consantly crashed soon after starting steam and when I turned my PC on today it said it was unable to start and the system restore failed. After rebooting it worked fine though.
Make sure you have published any uploads, non published do not show up.

coopolon

DarkUSS said:

Can't you already do this? I thought in Steam there is an option when setting up voice chat to chose what audio device the voice plays back on. If you set that to headset but your default audio device is speakers, I think the game would play through the speakers.

I could be wrong about this, I'll try it later tonight.

scitek said:
Next, add an FPS Limiter so I can play Crysis at a steady 30fps.

EDIT: Does this capture FPS counters and the like? If so, it'll capture MLAA too, right?

EDIT2: Yes it does!
time to start showing people without it how good it makes Dead Space 2 look!

MoFuzz

DarkUSS said:
3 secs lag? I never noticed anything like this in L4D2 at least.
Okay, 3 seconds is exaggerated a little, but it's most definitely too slow compared to what's available on the market. L4D 1/2 and basically any game where you use Steam Chat are all the same. Test it with a friend sometime. May not seem like much of a delay, but for fast paced games, even one second's delay makes a big difference.

Seems like they're removing support for Non Steam Games.

They used to show up in they're own category based on their name, now they're all thrown in together.

Even the ones already uploaded lost their name.

Salaadin

It catches MLAA? And I just installed ME2 this morning and was planning on activating MLAA for it tonight. Ohhhh yes.

Salaadin said:
It catches MLAA? And I just installed ME2 this morning and was planning on activating MLAA for it tonight. Ohhhh yes.
it doesn't on Dead Space 2 which i have as a none steam game added into steam.

takes the screens but doesn't catch MLAA. boooooo.

Fox318

08A85B04481801347A8AFB9962CF1B7815134E9F

Screenshots work fine for me. Very Fast.

Top Bottom