• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller/Machines/Link hands-on impressions. Final reviews: Nov 10

Nabs

There is no way the Steam controller can feel as good as this:
sega_saturn_pad_1.jpg

I'd like to see that handle a game like Civilization or Pillars.

Nzyme32

I'm guessing there's no way to load bindings for non-steam games (ie uplay Far Cry 3 etc)?

In the other thread, there is an email address for giving feedback. I'd definitely suggest asking for a way of sharing bindings for those kind of applications or creating some sort of database of non-steam stuff to do so.

In the other thread, there is an email address for giving feedback. I'd definitely suggest asking for a way of sharing bindings for those kind of applications or creating some sort of database of non-steam stuff to do so.

Perfect. It's only uPlay games that've given me any trouble so far.

Eusis

How strict is gamestop on street dates? is there a chance they would allow pickups tonight if they already received them?
Very given their nature (largest gaming focused retailer).

They will, however, loosen up if everyone else doesn't care as I recall, and if Valve goes "nah man just sell it" they likely would.

Nzyme32

Are you going to out that in your thread in case som owners missed it?

here is it again

I was actually going to ask you if that is open to everyone? All of us that purchased at local stores, have not been given that email. If so (which I am assuming it is), I'll put it in my thread as well. I'm planning on putting it up in around 12 hours, when people will actually start receiving them.

Same for me when using the controller, but only because the X360 d-pad is not very good, haha.

The very same due to the 360 controller, but about 2 years back I moved to the ds3 and started using the dpad again

How strict is gamestop on street dates? is there a chance they would allow pickups tonight if they already received them?

I called around my local ones five minutes ago and they gave me the impression that they are selling them now if they have extras, but most don't have any. It may be worth giving them a call.

Krejlooc

Banned
I can play Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles as both Sonic and Tails at the same time - one controller in each hand controlling each character - using two Xbox 360 controllers because of the way I can move the thumbstick with my pinky and thumb. I guess that wouldn't really be possible on a steam controller using the touchpad, but once my second steam controller comes in, I'll try giving it a go using the analog sticks.

I was actually going to ask you if that is open to everyone? All of us that purchased at local stores, have not been given that email. If so (which I am assuming it is), I'll put it in my thread as well. I'm planning on putting it up in around 12 hours, when people will actually start receiving them.

I don't know, I only saw it on reddit, but I'm thinking it's open to anyone who owns a controller and link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfN5WK7OzU8

Good primer on the decisions that created the steam controller
Yep, I've watched that video like twice now all the way through. I've seen the prototypes with real trackballs and understand why they went with the pads instead, but I'm just dying to get my actual hands on and a feel for how well the haptics give that feeling of momentum.

I, too, have been using that same Logitech trackball for everything except for WoW (G600 MMO mouse there).

KR_remix

From the Engadget preview:
Valve even included an optional motion-control profile that lets you tilt the gamepad to control the camera, similar to the aiming mechanic Nintendo uses for Splatoon.

Didn't know this thing had motion control, can users use it in their custom profiles?

KR_remix

I believe so. I've seen a video of it being used to steer in Project Cars.

Awesome, I'll probably pick one up eventually. Never really had a problem with trying unconventional controllers. I remember picking up some weird controller to play Deadly Tide with when that came out.

SpaceOrb_sm.jpg

Krejlooc

Banned
Awesome, I'll probably pick one up eventually. Never really had a problem with trying unconventional controllers. I remember picking up some weird controller to play Deadly Tide with when that came out.

SpaceOrb_sm.jpg

I had this when I was younger. It... really sucked.

Krejlooc

Banned
Yep, never used it again after trying it with that game. Didn't really feel that bad about it though in the end.

I had yet another controller that offered the same "promise" from microsoft and it was just as terrible

I've actually used hundreds of controllers over the years. One of my old favorites was the Gravis Xtreme, which had grip buttons like the steam controller. It was really awesome for N64 emulation because it was one of the first PC controllers with an analog thumbstick.

scitek

The Gamespot video is damning, basically a solution in search of a problem.

For FPS games:
-Not precise enough to replace a mouse
-Not precise enough to replace a thumbstick.

Yeah, I would definitely ignore all of the other impressions in favor of just this one.

Bizzquik

I threw out the idea of having steam controller curators, where you could follow people whose configs you've liked and know they work similar to how you prefer, so who knows if that'll be a thing going forward. It seems in line with most of valve's views on web 2.0 and crowdsourcing, at least.

Man, that just makes a lot of sense.

Controller schemes that an individual user creates will start to have similarities across multiple titles, which will lead to muscle memory in playing those titles, which will lead to faster familiarity with the controller overall. If I like Krejlooc's profile for one Real-Time Strategy game, I'll probably like his profile for another RTS game, etc.

This needs to be a thing.

KR_remix

I had yet another controller that offered the same "promise" from microsoft and it was just as terrible

I've actually used hundreds of controllers over the years. One of my old favorites was the Gravis Xtreme, which had grip buttons like the steam controller. It was really awesome for N64 emulation because it was one of the first PC controllers with an analog thumbstick.

It's pretty crazy to think of how many weird ass controllers used to come out for pc, not to mention the cheap/pack in controllers that were meant for one game, compared to how standardized things are now.

The person who wrote the Engadget article

Hey! I'm the guy that wrote the piece!

It does. It's an amazing experience on Portal 2 and a less great but good experience with tons of potential on most other things, at least after you configure it right.

There's absolutely a learning curve. It was easier for me, since i've played with everything from keyboard to ball mouse, to laser mouse, to touchpad to trackball -- but I imagine folks coming from dual-stick gamepads only will have some frustrating times at first...but I think it's worth it, at least for the games I played that had good, native controls.

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gami...e_steam_machine_review_engadget_steam/cw12gpu

NoPiece

Gravis Xterminator? I loved that controller, and ever since I've hoped the grip button idea would be more widely adopted. Besides the basic sticks/buttons, Xterminator had the grip buttons, the analog slider (great for throttle in flight sims), and a mini "hat" digital pad. It just needed more comfy analog triggers - they were a little awkward.

Tenebrous

For fps I heard it's not quite as a precise as a mouse (as expected) but better than a thumbstick. This was from the impressions thread

Same. The idea it's not precise enough to replace a thumbstick just screams to me that the reviewer didn't give it enough time, or was playing a game with aim assist. Keep in mind he/she has probably used analog sticks since the N64/PS1 era, so yeah... It'll be better than sticks.

Nzyme32

For fps I heard it's not quite as a precise as a mouse (as expected) but better than a thumbstick. This was from the impressions thread

A guy from IGN tweeted pretty much the same thing, although I don't think he is involved with the current write up of the controller. They are taking turns giving impressions over time, which seems like a pretty good way to chronicle it as long as they are also keeping an eye on customising it to suit them

"The Steam Controller is pretty cool. It won't match mouse and keyboard, but it feels much more precise for aiming than thumbsticks."

"I've only used it a few hours - still getting used to it. But I do like it more than thumbsticks so far."

EB games Canada has ship my controller from the order THEY cancelled month ago because reasons. While my pick up in store order remains unready.

I'm confused.

r3n4ud

EB games Canada has ship my controller from the order THEY cancelled month ago because reasons. While my pick up in store order remains unready.

I'm confused.
EB Canada is having a bitch of a time with their online preorders :/

I preordered day one and no shipping here yet. Fuckers

Bizzquik

Wow, the Alienware Steam Machine has an HDMI input, so you can pass-through cable TV, etc. How did I miss reading up on that...?
Sounds similar to the Xbox One pass-through, but hopefully without lag.

Apparently Alienware had this imbedded into SteamOS, as mentioned here.

Anyone know of an HDMI-input card/adapter that can pull this off (...for an existing HTPC)? Would love to install something like that in my computer and then be able to access it in Big Picture Mode on my Windows 10 HTPC. (....if that is even possible)

mr stroke

My GS fucked up and is not doing the early pre orders(even though I pre ordered day 1)
That coupled with the poor in impressions make me feel like canceling and picking up an X1 Elite controller now

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The link sounds more disappointing than I'd hoped. And I though it was supposed to support the steam controller natively without a dongle (was hoping to user he dongle on the main computer)?

Arstechnica said:
To get started, plug the Link into a wall and a TV or monitor’s open HDMI port, and you’ll soon see a startup screen that asks users to plug a mouse-and-keyboard, a gamepad, or a Steam Controller dongle into one of the Link’s open USB slots. (This dongle is necessary to use the Steam Controller, so don’t expect to free up a USB slot by buying into the Steam ecosystem).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The reason being is that dealing with mismatching button prompts is, initially, much harder for people to deal with. So, take for instance Metal Gear Solid V - it doesn't support gamepad + mouse right now. But, if you make the steam controller identify as an xbox pad, it works without any real problems - the on-screen prompts match the controller, and you can technically do everything you could possibly want to do in the game with the controller. In other words, it "works" but it's not optimal. When playing MGSV with the default, "recommended" controller scheme, the right pad is set to analog stick emulation, using joystick camera. What that means is when you touch the right pad, where you touched it becomes the deadzone, and as you move your thumb away from this deadzone, it mimics pulling an analog stick in those directions. So if you pull right a little bit and leave your thumb there, it'll act like you're tilting the analog stick just a little bit and slowly turn the camera until you "let go." If you pull to the right a lot, it'll act like you're tilting the stick a lot.

And, as I said, the heirarchy we're following means that this controller configuration takes precedence, and is actually the "recommended" controller scheme at the moment.

By contrast, I have a custom controller configuration for MGSV - it's listed under "Krejlooc's Action A bindings." This binding, rather than treating the steam controller like an xbox 360 controller, is purely mouse and keyboard. I've set up the controller so that the keyboard buttons are in the right spot so that, if you've played on an xbox controller, you know where everything is. I.E. Y is mount, Left bumper is whistle, right bumper is binoculars, etc. But they're being handled with keyboard commands, so that, when you approach your horse, it'll tell you to press the "E" key instead of the Y button.

Despite the mismatching button prompts, in this configuration, the right pad acts like a mouse. Meaning you manually select which position you are looking. If you set your thumb down and move to the right and hold it there, it doesn't keep turning right. Instead, it moves to the right every "click" of the pad and holds there until you move your thumb.

So if a game doesn't support gamepad+mouse, you have to choose between
1) emulating an analog pad. So you get analog movement using the left stick, and the right touchpad emulates the right stick
2) emulating kb&m. So you get mouselook on the right touchpad, but only digital movement on the left touchpad or analog stick because it is emulating WASD? And the onscreen prompts will be keyboard so may confuse.

Hopefully this will encourage more developers to support gamepad+mouse because that would be the ideal setup I think. Both of the alternatives are poor compromises.

What would you estimate as the percentage of games that support gamepad+mouse?

Miff

And I though it was supposed to support the steam controller natively without a dongle (was hoping to user he dongle on the main computer)?

Hmm... that's disappointing to hear. Sounds like I'm going to have to fiddle around the back of my PC/TV each night. This is an issue for me as I'll be moving my gaming up/downstairs regularly to accommodate the times my partner wants to watch TV. If that's the case it would be nice if there was a way of ordering an additional dongle at reasonable (not-Sony) prices.

The link sounds more disappointing than I'd hoped. And I though it was supposed to support the steam controller natively without a dongle (was hoping to user he dongle on the main computer)?

It's weird. Either Valve advertised it badly, it's not enabled yet or the journo wasn't thorough enough.

jeffers

Seems the controller is some kind of Bluetooth and the link does support Bluetooth 4.0 so maybe it'll be patched in?

Top Bottom