• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

hepburn3d

Dark Souls 2 does not feel good on this at all. With the default 360 layout the right trackpad doesn't work well at all for the camera. It's way too slow and it doesn't operate how you think it would.

I used a configuration that's better, but it's obviously using the trackpad for mouse controls.

Yea I noticed that in GTAV. everything but the right touch pad worked great. I ended up making the right touch pad a mouse but I'm tempted to tinker a bit more with the sensitivity and see what I can do.

Taborcarn

I played some Dirty Bomb with it, and sucked royally. It's a faster paced FPS especially compared to Destiny, so controller input felt slow. Also holding the left stick in for Sprint to run felt hard to maintain, but using the left grip felt much better.

Also, I normally invert the Y-axis on a gamepad, but not on mice. On this I wasn't sure what to use. It felt like I wanted it inverted while running around, but not inverted while aiming down sites. It was a really weird feeling. In the end I settled in not inverted.

Padinn

My Gamestop preorder from a few days ago didn't arrive. Wasn't really expecting it too, but since I had been told it would be arriving I am disappoint. I'll be back in 3 weeks!

Animal

Banned
I just got home with mine.

Though I don't really have any games that support it other than Portal 2.

Any recommendations or lists of games that are good with the controller?

Dark Souls 2 does not feel good on this at all. With the default 360 layout the right trackpad doesn't work well at all for the camera. It's way too slow and it doesn't operate how you think it would.

I used a configuration that's better, but it's obviously using the trackpad for mouse controls.

If there is, have you tried the template "gamepad with joystick camera"?

Supposedly with some fine tuning that works better than the "gamepad" template

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzl30LLvd98

As the OP states there's a difference in the way the camera center behaves.

Red

When do you get haptic feedback on the left pad? I'm using the buttons with haptics on high but there is no rumble.

I have to say, this controller is absolute junk. I tried 6 or 7 games, half of which I struggled to get past menu screens, the rest being absolutely broken in some way or another. It's loud, it's bulky, it feels cheap, turning it off turns on steam big picture for some reason, and it's impossible to hold comfortably while being able to hit all the buttons.

I just got home with mine.

Though I don't really have any games that support it other than Portal 2.

Any recommendations or lists of games that are good with the controller?
Ummm. This controller works with any game. Portal 2 is not the one that works with it out of the box. Also, didnt you get download codes for rocket league?

Mrbob

I had this issue with Dishonored initially. In gamepad mode i ended up changing the right trackpad input to mouse, adjusted the sensitivity, and now have a pretty good setup. I think this controller is going to take some trial and error to get the right settings in games. Looking forward to new profiles.

Tobor

Tried Borderlands 2. Wicked!

It's definitely going to take little getting used to, but I can already tell the 360 controller is going to end up in a drawer for good.

Tried Borderlands 2. Wicked!

It's definitely going to take little getting used to, but I can already tell the 360 controller is going to end up in a drawer for good.

Am I doing something wrong here? I just went back and read through a lot of this topic, and I seem to be the only one who's experience with this thing is just absolutely fucking miserable. Transformers Devastation, Remake HD, Pacman Championship Edition, and Nevermind were all absolutely terrible, and all cept Nevermind were so broken that none of the controls worked at all, and even changing menu options was a challenge. pillars of Eternity technically worked but the control scheme I chanced on was still just awful and slow.

Trying to play KOF 98 had the buttons moving me up and down and then it broke steam big picture in such a way that my PC thought I was holding down multiple buttons constantly, necessitating a reboot to get my mouse working properly again.

Animal

Banned
Ummm. This controller works with any game. Portal 2 is not the one that works with it out of the box. Also, didnt you get download codes for rocket league?

I am going by the controller or keyboard symbol on the lower right corner of my games.

I don't see any Rocket League Code in the box. Is it supposed to come as an email?

Krejlooc

Banned
Am I doing something wrong here? I just went back and read through a lot of this topic, and I seem to be the only one who's experience with this thing is just absolutely fucking miserable. Transformers Devastation, Remake HD, Pacman Championship Edition, Nevermind were all absolutely miserable, and all cept Nevermind were so broken that none of the controls worked at all, and even changing menu options was a challenge. Pillars of Eternity technically worked but the control scheme I chanced on was still just awful and slow.

You're not really giving a lot of feedback to help troubleshoot beyond "it's terrible." What specifically is happening?

My guess is you aren't really configured the controller at all and have defaulted to some random configuration that doesn't work, and unfortuntely there is no manual or guide yet to walk you through doing this. I'm creating one, but it's not quite ready yet.

I am going by the controller or keyboard symbol on the lower right corner of my games.

That controller symbol is for Xbox 360 controllers. It doesn't apply to the steam controller, the steam controller is universal.

Tobor

Am I doing something wrong here? I just went back and read through a lot of this topic, and I seem to be the only one who's experience with this thing is just absolutely fucking miserable. Transformers Devastation, Remake HD, Pacman Championship Edition, Nevermind were all absolutely miserable, and all cept Nevermind were so broken that none of the controls worked at all, and even changing menu options was a challenge. Pillars of Eternity technically worked but the control scheme I chanced on was still just awful and slow.

Yes, you're doing something wrong. I have no idea what.

You're not really giving a lot of feedback to help troubleshoot beyond "it's terrible." What specifically is happening?

My guess is you aren't really configured the controller at all and have defaulted to some random configuration that doesn't work, and unfortuntely there is no manual or guide yet to walk you through doing this. I'm creating one, but it's not quite ready yet.

That controller symbol is for Xbox 360 controllers. It doesn't apply to the steam controller, the steam controller is universal.

Of course I hadn't configured the controller. What's the point of the thing if every option available in its own templates option gives you a broken set of controls that don't work?

Edit: To clarify. I went into big picture with said controller. Loaded game up. Game procedes to be broken, impossible to control, with gonzo shit like enter being mapped to Y and none of the other buttons doing anything.

Mrbob

Am I doing something wrong here? I just went back and read through a lot of this topic, and I seem to be the only one who's experience with this thing is just absolutely fucking miserable. Transformers Devastation, Remake HD, Pacman Championship Edition, and Nevermind were all absolutely terrible, and all cept Nevermind were so broken that none of the controls worked at all, and even changing menu options was a challenge. pillars of Eternity technically worked but the control scheme I chanced on was still just awful and slow.

Trying to play KOF 98 had the buttons moving me up and down and when it broke steam big picture in such a way that my PC thought I was holding down multiple buttons constantly, necessitating a reboot to get my mouse working properly again.

Are you trying to emulate a right stick with the right trackpad? That setting is awful. Thankfully there are a bunch of different options available. You can change the right trackpad to be similar to a trackball or even a mouse. I'm still tinkering to find the correct sensitivity but the experience is pretty good. There are a lot of options and submenus to dig into which I haven't even done yet. We are going to see a slow burn with this controller as users figure the best configurations and upload them.

Krejlooc

Banned
Of course I hadn't configured the controller. What's the point of the thing if every option available in its own templates option gives you a broken set of controls that don't work?

the point of a template is to give you a starting point for configuring your controller, so you don't have to start from scratch.

Edit: To clarify. I went into big picture with said controller. Loaded game up. Game procedes to be broken, impossible to control, with gonzo shit like enter being mapped to Y and none of the other buttons doing anything.

So change the controls so that the Y button is mapped to the key you want it to be mapped to. Or look under the community profiles section and see if someone has already configured the controller for that game for you.

Krejlooc

Banned
The guide does not work inside commander keen. Controller can't be configured.

This is a known bug, all dosbox games currently don't work.

You can, in fact, configure games if the BPM UI doesn't follow - just go to "manage game", then under "preferences" select "configure controller" before launching the game. But DosBox games in specific don't work at the moment (they worked months ago, it's a recent bug).

ScummVM, either. Finol said The Dig is one of his favorite games, so he's looking into the problem.

Are you trying to emulate a right stick with the right trackpad? That setting is awful. Thankfully there are a bunch of different options available. You can change the right trackpad to be similar to a trackball or even a mouse. I'm still tinkering to find the correct sensitivity but the experience is pretty good. There are a lot of options and submenus to dig into which I haven't even done yet. We are going to see a slow burn with this controller as users figure the best configurations and upload them.

I'm not trying to do anything other than plug the thing in and play some games.

the point of a template is to give you a starting point for configuring your controller, so you don't have to start from scratch.

So change the controls so that the Y button is mapped to the key you want it to be mapped to. Or look under the community profiles section and see if someone has already configured the controller for that game for you.

I knew that the thing would be customizable, but I had no idea that the state of its own controls would be in such shambles that every single game would require a full breakdown and control remap to function in an even basic way.

Krejlooc

Banned
I knew that the thing would be customizable, but I had no idea that the state of its own controls would be in such shambles that every single game would require a full breakdown and control remap to function in an even basic way.

Not all games do. Again, you haven't given us nearly enough feedback to begin to walk you through the problem. You could start by telling the specific games you are having problems with, as an example.

Not all games do. Again, you haven't given us nearly enough feedback to begin to walk you through the problem. You could start by telling the specific games you are having problems with, as an example.

Alright, fair enough. Let's say Transformers Devastation. Most of the buttons do not work. I wasn't even able to get into the game because navigating the menu with the controller is impossible, I dont think it even has whatever the proper confirm or backout buttons, in addition, all the keys shown are keyboard prompts instead of icons such as A/Y/X/B/Start etc.

EDIT: Also, how in the world do you turn the controller off without turning on big picture? It's infuriating.

Krejlooc

Banned
Alright, fair enough. Let's say Transformers Devastation. Most of the buttons do not work. I wasn't even able to get into the game because navigating the menu with the controller is impossible, I dont think it even has whatever the proper confirm or backout buttons, in addition, all the keys shown are keyboard prompts instead of icons such as A/Y/X/B/Start etc.

That game has a recommended controller layout, "gamepad." Without doing anything, without even changing the configuration or looking in the templates menu, the first time you load it, it should default to that without you doing anything. If you are not using the default, recommended "gamepad" layout, go to "manage controller" then, under template, select "gamepad." It'll make your controller operate exactly like an Xbox 360 controller. The prompts will match, and you won't have to change a single binding.

Tobor

I'm not trying to do anything other than plug the thing in and play some games.

Borderlands 2 works with the basic kb/m template. No issues.

Fallout New Vegas works with the Gamepad template. No issues.

EDIT. I like fallout even better on the kb/m template!

That game has a recommended controller layout, "gamepad." Without doing anything, without even changing the configuration or looking in the templates menu, the first time you load it, it should default to that without you doing anything. If you are not using the default, recommended "gamepad" layout, go to "manage controller" then, under template, select "gamepad." It'll make your controller operate exactly like an Xbox 360 controller. The prompts will match, and you won't have to change a single binding.

It is on gamepad. Checked again, problem remains. Keyboard prompts, broken buttons.

Krejlooc

Banned
please list more games so I can help you set up your controller, Snapshot King, because I need to actually check to make sure the games you are testing aren't the odd one that actually does have a bug. I can walk you through using plug-and-play configurations on those games without you needing to set anything up, and you'll be helping me by pinpointing potentially troublesome games that I need to check.

EDIT: Let me try transformers, I need to download it so it'll be a while. I'll PM you when it's done so i can verify if the game itself isn't working or if it's another problem. But please list more games.

Krejlooc

Banned
I pre-ordered from Steam when they announced the pre-order that ships today. It took me to the EBGames checkout (I am in Canada).

Not in my inventory or library :(

I bought a bunch of steam controllers to ship out to some GAF members in malaysia and, while they gave me portal 2 right away, I haven't received rocket league for that member. I sent a bug report but haven't heard back. I, myself, bought 2 steam controllers and only received 1 rocket league code, but got multiple portal 2 codes, so it's a problem that isn't isolated to you, at least.

please list more games so I can help you set up your controller, Snapshot King, because I need to actually check to make sure the games you are testing aren't the odd one that actually does have a bug. I can walk you through using plug-and-play configurations on those games without you needing to set anything up, and you'll be helping me by pinpointing potentially troublesome games that I need to check.

EDIT: Let me try transformers, I need to download it so it'll be a while. I'll PM you when it's done so i can verify if the game itself isn't working or if it's another problem. But please list more games.

What type of game in particular, mouse and keyboard or controller?

Edit - also, all the game pad games I tried listed above had identical issues. Wrong prompts, broken controls, most non working buttons

Krejlooc

Banned
What type of game in particular, mouse and keyboard or controller?

no no, the games you tried before that you said had troublesome controls. See, while, for the most part, the controller is supposed to be an invisible user experience if you don't want to dive into the configuration menus, there are indeed some games in the steam library that flat-out wig out when trying to play them with the steam controller. Tembo the Badass elephant is my go-to example - it absolutely doesn't work with the steam controller at all.

So if you tried some games and they didn't work at all, it'd be a huge help for me if you could list them so I could try them on my end and make sure if they are universally broken or not. And if they aren't, I can concentrate on trying to walk you through using the controller in those games, which should acclimate you to the controller in general.

FWIW, as time goes on, and more people use the controller and fill out profiles, for users such as yourself who don't really want to spend hours configuring their controllers, the community section will fill out and provide a more plug-and-play experience. You just have the (sorta) misfortune of being there day 1.

Edit - also, all the game pad games I tried listed above had identical issues. Wrong prompts, broken controls, most non working buttons

K, let me try working through that list for now.

The entire idea of a controller that requires extensive user modification to work at an even basic level seems bafflingly terrible. The idea of being forced to rely on the community like this is some kind of third party input mapper is absurd.

Krejlooc

Banned
Oh, one other thing, do you have any other hardware connected to your PC? Flight stick, racing wheel, Xbox 360 dongle, odd brand of mouse or keyboard, etc? If so, please list them for me.

Thanks

The entire idea of a controller that requires extensive user modification to work at an even basic level seems bafflingly terrible.

This isn't the basic level. You're using it as a universal controller right now. Games that actually natively support the steam controller don't work this way. They are plug and play. You are experiencing the sort of trouble that is necessary if you want an honestly universal controller that is both forwards and backwards compatible with every title ever.

The idea of being forced to rely on the community like this is some kind of third party input mapper is absurd.

That's called crowdsourcing, and it's the web 2.0 model. Some of the most successful products in human history, like Wikipedia, have emerged this way. It's an ideal I pretty much adhere to - the collective consciousness of the public is the best and most valuable work force on the planet. Eventually, this controller will evolve into something approaching the best configuration for every game. It's basically wikipedia applied to a controller.

And, like wikipedia, within short order, for users like yourself who don't want to tinker, the collective will produce something for that works you, at the benefit of the whole.

There is no situation where the controller is ever going to be as 'invisible' as other gamepads. Honestly I think this whole thing is going to be hugely jarring to traditional gamepad users who are used to the plug and play nature of them. Even by 'techie' pc standards it is pretty obtuse. Setting up a config takes more effort that it should lacks some functionality that should be there for more experienced users, and downloading community configs is still more than what people are used to. The fact you have to go into controller configuration then hit a button to browse community configs alone is a barrier to entry to people who are used to stuff just working. Then you are presented with just a list with vague descriptions and not even a picture of the control layout so you can give it a glance over and see whats what.

TONS of games have no config whatsoever so Steam defaults to a basic configuration that is probably the worst way it could have gone: using the right touchpad as an analog stick emulator. It points people toward using the pad this way by making it difficult to set up the stick as WASD and having the basic templates trying to mimic xinput. They should have ditched that idea all together and gone full speed ahead on simple m/kb emulation, as people already have things that accel at xinput and would rather use those.

I think the Steam Controller is promising but on launch I think it is going to make a very bad first impression for a lot of people.

Oh, one other thing, do you have any other hardware connected to your PC? Flight stick, racing wheel, Xbox 360 dongle, odd brand of mouse or keyboard, etc? If so, please list them for me.

Thanks

Only thing is a wireless logitech mouse and keyboard and two western digital external hard drives.

Krejlooc

Banned
There is no situation where the controller is ever going to be as 'invisible' as other gamepads.

Sure there is - native support.

TONS of games have no config whatsoever so Steam defaults to a basic configuration

That's not how it works. Games with no configs whatsoever don't default to anything. If you run a game that has not had a "default" set, it'll prompt you to spend time creating an actual configuration for it. When you see games "defaulting" to configuration, those are being set by hand from people like myself. The average user does not have the ability to set a default.

Animal

Banned
I bought a bunch of steam controllers to ship out to some GAF members in malaysia and, while they gave me portal 2 right away, I haven't received rocket league for that member. I sent a bug report but haven't heard back. I, myself, bought 2 steam controllers and only received 1 rocket league code, but got multiple portal 2 codes, so it's a problem that isn't isolated to you, at least.

I just finished making a support ticket. I'll make sure to come back and share my outcome.

Krejlooc

Banned
Just tried pac-man CE DX, it defaults to the Xbox 360 controller layout. Can you describe in more detail the "wonkiness" you experience in that specific game? You say buttons don't work, please be a bit more specific. I just hit start at the title screen, it went to the menu, then I used the left d-pad to navigate down and went to play game and hit A and it started like normal. Using both the analog stick or the d-pad to move around.

Sure there is - native support.

I don't think native support is a good path to go down. This controller should be able to play everything or most stuff on Steam, not just new games. Steam's best feature is it's vast game library, and relying on new and updated games with active devs to make the game have native support goes against that. Crowdsourcing all the games is probably the best solution and I hope it catches on and that sensible configs rise to the top. The amount of ones using the right pad as analog emulation has been disheartening though.

That's not how it works. Games with no configs whatsoever don't default to anything. If you run a game that has not had a "default" set, it'll prompt you to spend time creating an actual configuration for it. When you see games "defaulting" to configuration, those are being set by hand from people like myself. The average user does not have the ability to set a default.

So if I go to a game page of a game like say Cold Fear and check the controller configuration, there are already some binds made in there. However the game has no recommended configs or community configs uploaded. So someone on Valve's side or the testers made that initial configuration that shows up when I went to configurate controller? If so why isn't that labelled/uploaded as a recommended config and why are none of the buttons labeled to what they do?

Krejlooc

Banned
Just tried Resident Evil Remake HD, same thing. It defaults to xbox 360 controller emulation. At the title screen, it says "press any key" but as soon as I hit start, it detects the controller as a 360 pad and starts showing me the correct button prompts.

Transformers is almost done, I'll try it out in a second. This might be a problem with your specific configuration. Have you opted into the steam client beta?

Top Bottom