• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Crayon

Yeah I'd check it out. From what I tested, I couldn't get the mouse-joystick to work well only in Mad Max, where it for some reason will cause a movement speed reduction on fast swipes or flicks, so the only option was to increase the min x and y outputs via the controller settings, but even that wasn't good enough. The setting's ini file solution is massively better and more mouse like. It still has that weird slow down on fast thumb movement but works well otherwise, which is fine for now

Alright. I don't know if anyone else will like it but it's my favorite thumbstick replacement setup so far. I'll upload it to skyrim. It's called "Button Sticks 4.6". Well, I'm trying to upload it. It's doing that thing where it takes a long time to export the config. Let me know if I need to upload it to a different game. Edit: wow five minutes later it's still trying to upload. It's having trouble here.

The grips are mapped to the stick clicks. The right track pad is used sort of like an analog dpad, and is meant to be clicked here and there to adjust the speed. Swiping it from the middle out to turn works but swiping from the outside in works as well. Also, the dpad is set to a touch & click/selector that I'm not totally settled on yet.

Edit again: okay appears to have shown up on the skyrim community bindings, but I just uploaded it for serious sam 3 as well.

Nabs

Thinking about getting the Link since it's on sale, but I've heard mixed things. I don't even have a great TV for it >_<

The Link is amazing. They've made a lot of improvements since release, so make sure you're reading new impressions.

Is it true Rise of the Tomb Raider has been updated to support analog+mouse configs?

When I began it months ago, it was one or the other.

They must have fixed that early in the life of the game, because I don't remember it being like that. It just unfortunately switches button prompts when you use mouse.

Sophia

I'd like to get a Link, but the current (cheap) Comcast router/modem combo I have probably would have issues with it. So I'd need to get a better router first, before buying the Link.

Nabs

Do action sets actually work? I can't seem to be able to use them / switch between them..

Yep, I use them quite a bit now. There are two ways to switch between 'em, either have it automatically happen when a mouse cursor pops up (Press Back), or use the "Set" button when picking a key.

Nzyme32

Yep, I use them quite a bit now. There are two ways to switch between 'em, either have it automatically happen when a mouse cursor pops up (Press Back), or use the "Set" button when picking a key.

I see. I set it up wrong - you can't have a dpad on click and a seperate function to switch sets at the same time it seems, so I'm switching the dpad to be on touch (weapon switching) and the click can change sets.

Basically trying to get Mafia 2 to have working analogue triggers for driving only. Not sure if I really need them to be, but going to try it anyway. The top binding is just K&M (since the game doesn't support simultaneous gamepad mouse) but it works brilliantly, so I don't want to change that.

Are you using the multi-button function to bind the key and the set change?

Nope - turns out that using the left pad click, while there is a touch dpad, doesn't allow action set switching. Maybe a bug. Works with everything else.

I see. I set it up wrong - you can't have a dpad on click and a seperate function to switch sets at the same time it seems, so I'm switching the dpad to be on touch (weapon switching) and the click can change sets.
Are you using the multi-button function to bind the key and the set change?

Nzyme32

"Mafia Action Set Binding" for Mafia 2

Extremely pleased with how this turned out. Only two action sets:

- "Default" which has mouse aiming and an awesome layout for exploring, climbing, sprinting and all the shooting / fighting controls rarely using the face buttons or moving your thumbs away from the pads
- "Driving" which uses a gamepad + mouse-like joystick for ease of looking around as well as complete analogue steering / acceleration / braking

The awesome part, is that Y is the action switch. 90% of the time you will switch perfectly to the one you need without thought. If a cutscene or something else gets you out of sync, you can still easily switch and not have anything weird happen with the exception of if you are in the car with the wrong set, in which case hold the analogue stick in any direction to get the car moving and press Y to switch to the right set without leaving the car. It also activates on lock picking cars, so you are ready to go straight away.

Feels awesome

So I decided to buy one at Gamestop since I had enough points for $10 off, $25 total doesn't seem so bad.

Won't be able to test it until tomorrow, but is there anything I need to be aware in setting it up?

Odrion

Banned
A Valve dev in this thread recently said it's still way off lol

god damn it all.

A Steam Controller that feels as good as the Vive controller would be a huuuuuge improvement. Oh god the trackpad on those things and how they click are perfect. And the triggers!

Nabs

"Mafia Action Set Binding" for Mafia 2

Extremely pleased with how this turned out. Only two action sets:

- "Default" which has mouse aiming and an awesome layout for exploring, climbing, sprinting and all the shooting / fighting controls rarely using the face buttons or moving your thumbs away from the pads
- "Driving" which uses a gamepad + mouse-like joystick for ease of looking around as well as complete analogue steering / acceleration / braking

The awesome part, is that Y is the action switch. 90% of the time you will switch perfectly to the one you need without thought. If a cutscene or something else gets you out of sync, you can still easily switch and not have anything weird happen with the exception of if you are in the car with the wrong set, in which case hold the analogue stick in any direction to get the car moving and press Y to switch to the right set without leaving the car. It also activates on lock picking cars, so you are ready to go straight away.

Feels awesome

Nice. I had just downloaded Mafia II and didn't feel like making a config from scratch. The only big changes I made was adding gyro aiming (default) and gyro steering (driving). It feels surprisingly good.

my first impressions after a few hours with doom and the ghostbusters game are.. mixed.

Sometimes it feels good, sometimes it's very frustrating because you don't know why it's not doing what you expect it to do.

I kind of wish there was a little divot in the center of the right pad to tell when you're centered.

Unicorn

my first impressions after a few hours with doom and the ghostbusters game are.. mixed.

Sometimes it feels good, sometimes it's very frustrating because you don't know why it's not doing what you expect it to do.

I kind of wish there was a little divot in the center of the right pad to tell when you're centered.
Would sandpaper help? Sand a tiny dot in the center?

wilflare

I guess Steam Link is now the "defacto" streaming device now? (or are there still better options?)
anyone use other controllers with it? (i.e. DS4)

//ARCANUM

Mad Max temp fix (or rather as best as it can be till Valve / Avalanche fix Mouse + Gamepad)

- Right click mad max in your game library
- Select properties
- Select local files tab
- Click browse local files
- Open settings file in notpad
- Change:
SensitivityPitch 90
SensitivityYaw 90

- When using the Steam Controller in game, use the Mouse-like joystick option

Downside is that hard flicks are slower than they should be, but normally swiping around works brilliantly.

Thankfully this is one of the few games that is messed up. Max Payne 3 is still more fun with the Steam Controller's Gamepad+Mouse setup though. Can't get enough of it at the moment

This isn't working for me, and I confirmed my settings are being saved but once I load the game, it just resets all the settings (which I confirm by checking in the settings file after).... why are other people's settings saving but mine aren't?

edit - I figured out why I was having issues, I was using .5 in my values for sensitivity in the settings file. Once I used round numbers, it worked.

Still, it's a workaround to something that is straight up broken in the game. :/

Ghostbusters isn't a very good game to try it with, just because of the way it handles mouse input. DOOM should be fine, though. Have you tried lowering smoothing? The default will mud up your thumb movement a lot. And I do agree with that last part. The original design had some indentations, and it's a shame they were removed for the final version.

//ARCANUM

Well now that I finally have it working with Mad Max, I tried with Resident Evil Revelations and it's straight up borken.

Everything seems to work except... I can't move.

And when I hit the steam button, the controls barely work in that UI. It's really strange. Like I can finally hit on controller configuration and it just brings up D-Pad options and it's really hard to select anything in there, like using the joystick makes things fly around, sometimes the d-pad works, sometimes it doesnt. Then when I hit back it quickly shows me controller config and then backs out real quick. SOMETIMES I can get controller config to show up, but it won't let me actually make any changes that it saves, because when I hit A or B, it just goes back to showing my the D-Pad config again and it's back to square one. Tried importing community config and same exact problem.

Anyone have any ideas what the hell is going on?

So far I've tried 2 games with this thing and both have been broken. :(

NVM! It was a steam bug!

Anyone have a recommended binding for Binary Domain? I've mapped most of the controls to that of the keyboard settings, but I have 2 issues, mainly figuring out the sensitivity setting for the right trackpad for aiming (I don't know if I'm simply not used to it, but I'm finding it kind of wild to control), and also for SOME reason when I try firing sometimes with the left trigger it triggers the min/max/move window menu or it might pause because it's clicking activating something outside the game window...anyone else have these sorts of issues or at least some advice with the right/aiming trackpad?

Roarer

Well now that I finally have it working with Mad Max, I tried with Resident Evil Revelations and it's straight up borken.

Everything seems to work except... I can't move.

And when I hit the steam button, the controls barely work in that UI. It's really strange. Like I can finally hit on controller configuration and it just brings up D-Pad options and it's really hard to select anything in there, like using the joystick makes things fly around, sometimes the d-pad works, sometimes it doesnt. Then when I hit back it quickly shows me controller config and then backs out real quick. SOMETIMES I can get controller config to show up, but it won't let me actually make any changes that it saves, because when I hit A or B, it just goes back to showing my the D-Pad config again and it's back to square one. Tried importing community config and same exact problem.

Anyone have any ideas what the hell is going on?

So far I've tried 2 games with this thing and both have been broken. :(

Hmm, there's a known bug if you're returning from sleep mode/power saving the steam controller will show up as multiple duplicates and behave erratically. The solution is to either restart steam or turn the controller off and back on again (through the steam UI).

Not sure if this is what's causing your problems.

Iorv3th

I guess Steam Link is now the "defacto" streaming device now? (or are there still better options?)
anyone use other controllers with it? (i.e. DS4)

For the price yes. If you had an HTPC to stream your gaming machine too that would obviously be better, but steam link works really well.

the streaming quality is terrible. i dont know if i got a bad unit or it is some compatibility issue with my tv, but its unplayable for me. no lag/compression problems or anything like that. the colors are basically destroyed

Probably your GPU outputting at full RGB range to your monitor and your TV only supporting limited RGB.

//ARCANUM

Hmm, there's a known bug if you're returning from sleep mode/power saving the steam controller will show up as multiple duplicates and behave erratically. The solution is to either restart steam or turn the controller off and back on again (through the steam UI).

Not sure if this is what's causing your problems.

Yep! That was the issue I was having, had no idea about that bug. Thank you, that fixed it!

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I quite like my steam controller, but ever since I got it it really has been kind of a piece of shit. I doesn't work with a lot of games and it randomly stops working completely in games ever after it worked before. I kind of have to just check and see if it is working again every now and then. It is almost to the point where I am about to give up on it.

Pixieking

Banned
I quite like my steam controller, but ever since I got it it really has been kind of a piece of shit. I doesn't work with a lot of games and it randomly stops working completely in games ever after it worked before. I kind of have to just check and see if it is working again every now and then. It is almost to the point where I am about to give up on it.

I had some issues with Dark Souls 3, where it would seem to desync or stop responding, and the Steam Button light would start flashing. Shifting the receiver into a different position and changing the batteries out fixed it, but that may have been coincidence - I sit quite close to my laptop when using the controller, and they were fairly new batteries. Worth a go, though?

Sophia

It's weird that I never seem to run into the connection and bugs that other people do. My problem mainly revolves around Big Picture Mode's overlay crashing when being used with third party applications. ><;

Also, I don't know if it's my controller or what, but I can trigger the Steam button by hitting Back and the Left Grip at the same time. >_>;

Walpurgis

Banned
I got this and Steam Link on sale yesterday. Steam Link works beautifully but the Steam Controller confuses me. Civ V works fine with the default keybindings but Team Fortress 2 is very difficult to aim in. I tried switching from the Valve preset to the top rated community setting ("probably the best") and it was even worse (I was constantly aiming at the sky with that setting :p).

I have only used a DualShock up to this point and really want to become skilled enough at the Steam Controller to be at the same level. I want to start buying multiplats on PC instead of PS4 but if I can't aim in Mad Max on PC, for example, I will have to get it overpriced for PS4... I have read the 5 stages so I still have hope and am willing to put in the time. I just don't know where I should start or if there is some setting that I am missing that can replicate DualShock 4 inputs.

I own Age of Empires 2, Counterstrike GO, RUST, Civ V, Total War, The Witcher 1 + 2, and The Long Dark. Out of those games, I imagine that Counterstrike would be the most relevant to solving my problem but I haven't bothered with it since I still can't kill anything as the heavy in TF2.

Is there a guide on what the best games and inputs are for console players who are transitioning from traditional controllers? I want to be ready for the Steam summer sale.

laxu

I got this and Steam Link on sale yesterday. Steam Link works beautifully but the Steam Controller confuses me. Civ V works fine with the default keybindings but Team Fortress 2 is very difficult to aim in. I tried switching from the Valve preset to the top rated community setting ("probably the best") and it was even worse (I was constantly aiming at the sky with that setting :p).

You will always have to do some tweaks to either game sensitivities or the controller configuration.

Your best bet for shooters and such would be to set it up like a gamepad but replace the right stick with the right touchpad set as mouse. If the game works as expected with this setup (most do) then you just need to adjust sensitivity and other settings to where it feels comfortable. From there you can start adding more advanced stuff like enabling the gyro while aiming or doing some quick actions or transforming the D-pad to a different set of controls etc.

Typical fixes for games that don't play well with gamepad+mouse at the same time is to use the mouse joystick mode for the right trackpad or alternatively use keyboard + mouse mappings.

The gyro is also very useful for fine aiming. Setting it up so that when you aim it is enabled should allow you very fine control while using the trackpad for coarser movements.

Also you can use a DS4 on the PC if you want. That said, I haven't touched mine for a long time on the PC because the SC works so well.

TL;DR: You need to figure out the best setup on the SC for YOU as different people like different sensitivities and button layouts. The top community profiles are only good starting points.

coopolon

Trying to play dishonored using NAB's configuration. Works well, but it hurts thumb to constantly be moving it between x to pick things up and back to right trackpad.

If I set right trigger soft pull to be x, will it always press x when I hard pull the trigger for attacks?

laxu

Trying to play dishonored using NAB's configuration. Works well, but it hurts thumb to constantly be moving it between x to pick things up and back to right trackpad.

If I set right trigger soft pull to be x, will it always press x when I hard pull the trigger for attacks?

Yes. You might be better off to use the right trackpad click for that.

I bought a Steam Controller a while back (with Dark Souls 3 I think?) but hadn't really played anything with it. I figured playing a game I'm used to playing with a dual analog pad would just lead to problems so I wanted something I could learn with this controller instead.

I started playing Hitman with it yesterday, and after a short adjusting period I'm starting to get used to it. I picked the most popular community layout and changed the right touchpad to mouse joystick (trackball mode) - it was originally just a joystick which felt super weird and the mouse setting seemed to break some functionality in the game. Even in a game like this where precise aiming isn't required I'm really liking the touchpad for camera.

One thing I'm still not used to is the face button layout, I keep thinking of it as a Wii U controller. Maybe I'll just rebind the face buttons for every game, it feels more natural to me that way.

Apparently there's no way to adjust the mouse joystick sensitivity if the game doesn't offer settings for that?

Soodanim

Half way through looking at various configs for Skyrim the configs stopped loading, now even after a reboot they're not loading. The internet is loading just fine, so can I assume it's Valve's servers or some fuck up in the program? I just want some comfy couch bed Skyrim action.

Never mind, it seems that if loading configs seems like it's going to hang you have to let it time out on its own, at which point it will give an error and be fine after that. At least, that's what happened to me after I finished writing the post.

riflen

I bought a Steam Controller a while back (with Dark Souls 3 I think?) but hadn't really played anything with it. I figured playing a game I'm used to playing with a dual analog pad would just lead to problems so I wanted something I could learn with this controller instead.

I started playing Hitman with it yesterday, and after a short adjusting period I'm starting to get used to it. I picked the most popular community layout and changed the right touchpad to mouse joystick (trackball mode) - it was originally just a joystick which felt super weird and the mouse setting seemed to break some functionality in the game. Even in a game like this where precise aiming isn't required I'm really liking the touchpad for camera.

One thing I'm still not used to is the face button layout, I keep thinking of it as a Wii U controller. Maybe I'll just rebind the face buttons for every game, it feels more natural to me that way.

Apparently there's no way to adjust the mouse joystick sensitivity if the game doesn't offer settings for that?

Correct. If the game doesn't provide stick sensitivity, you're out of luck with joystick mode.

One important thing you have to realise with this controller is that it allows you to mix and match joypad and keyboard/mouse in one controller profile. This is a great strength, but not all games allow you to use a mouse and a joypad simultaneously and some will freak out when you try, or just only accept one input type at once. Perhaps try to take the time to create a pure keyboard/mouse profile so that you can better adjust the camera control sensitivity. You essentially have nearly zero customisation limits via that route.

With regards to the face buttons, I find that I don't even use them for a lot of games. I prefer to use the paddles, shoulders, triggers, pad clicks and double taps then adding mode switching into touch menus for things like item and weapon selection. Add in gyro to help the fine aim, I find that works for a large array of first and third person games. I haven't played a Hitman game in years, but from what I remember of them, this could probably work fine.

Christine

Okay so I want to use this with Ultimate Doom/Doom 2/Heretic etc. These games are Dosbox installations, so I replace dosbox.exe with the binary for the source port I'm using (GZDoom). The controller works, but it won't use the controller configuration I've set in Big Picture for Doom 2. Instead, it just uses the desktop controller configuration.

This is sort of working, although I have to keep manually switching the desktop controller profile every time I want to play the game or return to the normal desktop controller profile. Anyone have any ideas on how to make it properly load the per game profile?

Jinkies

Okay so I want to use this with Ultimate Doom/Doom 2/Heretic etc. These games are Dosbox installations, so I replace dosbox.exe with the binary for the source port I'm using (GZDoom). The controller works, but it won't use the controller configuration I've set in Big Picture for Doom 2. Instead, it just uses the desktop controller configuration.

This is sort of working, although I have to keep manually switching the desktop controller profile every time I want to play the game or return to the normal desktop controller profile. Anyone have any ideas on how to make it properly load the per game profile?

For Dosbox, you may need to set output=opengl in the [sdl] section of the game's dosbox.conf file.

Jinkies

I'm not using dosbox. I'm substituting in gzdoom for the dosbox.exe that steam launches via batch file.

Sorry, when you said you replaced the binary, I assumed GZDoom was a tweak of Dosbox.

Does the Steam overlay work after you launch GZDoom? If not, finding a fix for that should also fix the controller.

Christine

Sorry, when you said you replaced the binary, I assumed GZDoom was a tweak of Dosbox.

Does the Steam overlay work after you launch GZDoom? If not, finding a fix for that should also fix the controller.

Pressing the steam button puts me back in big picture mode, but if I press play on the game it acts like it's not running and tries to launch it a second time.

Correct. If the game doesn't provide stick sensitivity, you're out of luck with joystick mode.

One important thing you have to realise with this controller is that it allows you to mix and match joypad and keyboard/mouse in one controller profile. This is a great strength, but not all games allow you to use a mouse and a joypad simultaneously and some will freak out when you try, or just only accept one input type at once. Perhaps try to take the time to create a pure keyboard/mouse profile so that you can better adjust the camera control sensitivity. You essentially have nearly zero customisation limits via that route.

With regards to the face buttons, I find that I don't even use them for a lot of games. I prefer to use the paddles, shoulders, triggers, pad clicks and double taps then adding mode switching into touch menus for things like item and weapon selection. Add in gyro to help the fine aim, I find that works for a large array of first and third person games. I haven't played a Hitman game in years, but from what I remember of them, this could probably work fine.

Thanks. Maybe I'll look into it a bit more, though I was mostly doing fine with my current setup.

riflen

Thanks. Maybe I'll look into it a bit more, though I was mostly doing fine with my current setup.

That's cool. The main strength of this device and the software supporting it, is that you can do whatever you like (mostly) and aren't limited by the game designer's control decisions. Just use what works for you.

I'm having issues with the controller sending gamepad trigger inputs even when every button and pad is set to KBaM controls. I wish Overwatch played nice with simultaneous gamepad/mouse inputs.

Oh, and hitting the Steam button to back out of the overlay often makes Steam stop seeing Overwatch and reverts to the desktop config. Very frustrating.

Nabs

I'm having issues with the controller sending gamepad trigger inputs even when every button and pad is set to KBaM controls. I wish Overwatch played nice with simultaneous gamepad/mouse inputs.

You may have to disable trigger analog output. It's a drop down menu in the left/right trigger menu.

Top Bottom