• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

hepburn3d

I used mine every day for 2 weeks, basically all day every day, before the battery started waning. When the battery gets low, the light flashes and you start getting messages through steam telling you to get closer because the signal range is weakening.

In any game? or just Elder scrolls?

Was any game. Just tried restarting the controller and when I turned it off the main light went off but there were still red led lights inside under the back panel. I then couldn't turn it back on. I had to take the batteries out put them back in again. Then it could turn on and connected with haptic again. Will keep an eye on that

vermadas

There used to be a mode called Sticky Mouse that was perfect for space harrier. It was basically a self-centering mouse. They removed it for reasons I don't know. It felt a lot like using the flight stick on the actual machine.

I think this would work great for Diablo 3 if it ever comes back. You could kind of simulate direct control of your character this way. Left pad would bind [ movement key ] + cursor location at center of screen + a fixed distance in the direction you're pointing in. Right pad could straight emulate the mouse. Or maybe just use one pad with a mode switch, since using both together would be awkward.

Was any game. Just tried restarting the controller and when I turned it off the main light went off but there were still red led lights inside under the back panel. I then couldn't turn it back on. I had to take the batteries out put them back in again. Then it could turn on and connected with haptic again. Will keep an eye on that

they have troubleshooting section for this: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1191-WEDK-1186 but you probably tried all of these

Krejlooc

Banned

Red lights under the back panel? I don't have any lights under my panel, can you take a pic?

Exuro

Bumpers as mouse click is pretty bad in the Cities Skylines default config. Triggers/paddle are infinitely better.

Are there any default controls options out of game for the controller like setting haptics force? Couldn't find anything.

Haroon

No matter what I try on Assassin's Creed 2. The right touchpad does not move the camera. Anyone have any tips regarding this issue?

hepburn3d

Red lights under the back panel? I don't have any lights under my panel, can you take a pic?

Sorry looks like it's the two metal gold squares reflecting the light off my red couch :p so I guess it turned off and then stayed off. A hard reset seemed to fix it

Unai

The movement in RE4 is binary anyway, so it works fine on WASD. It'll be the first game I try.

Sure, but gamepad + mouse look would make the on screen prompts match the buttons on the controller.

This is a good point - I am playing Mad Max with a keyboard because of the amount of time I am aiming with the harpoon, etc (even though it slows down). A controller with that precision would be great.

Exactly! I really hope that I can get used to the controller to play these types of games.

This doesn't work well for some reason. The game supports the gamepad and mouse look simultaneously, but input gets interrupted when using the Steam controller. I don't doubt that a good community binding will emerge.

I see. Too bad.

Nzyme32

Spent quite a bit of time making a Deus Ex binding set which I like quite a bit. Turns out mode shifting with a paddle (if you already had the paddle set up for a function) will do its original function and the mode shift, which actually works out quite well.

The problem with Deus Ex as with all mouse driven games at the moment - aiming precisely takes time to get used to. I've improved a lot from when I started, but clearly not enough yet. Even so, it's fun learning it - although there is no way I'll play anything competitive for quite a while, since that would likely be horribly frustrating right now

Unai

Spent quite a bit of time making a Deus Ex binding set which I like quite a bit. Turns out mode shifting with a paddle (if you already had the paddle set up for a function) will do its original function and the mode shift, which actually works out quite well.

The problem with Deus Ex as with all mouse driven games at the moment - aiming precisely takes time to get used to. I've improved a lot from when I started, but clearly not enough yet. Even so, it's fun learning it - although there is no way I'll play anything competitive for quite a while, since that would likely be horribly frustrating right now

Is it already better than dual sticks to you or is it not quite there yet?

Krejlooc

Banned
there are a bunch of games that half-impliment gamepad + mouse support. An example is Chronicles of Riddick Escape from Butcher Bay - you can play with gamepad + mouse, but it basically interrupts the mouse every few microseconds, so it feels like the sensitivity is turned waaaay down. you can turn the sensitivity way up and compensate, but if you stand still, the interrupting stops, and thus your sensitivity is cranked up.

Is the haptic feedback on the controllers noisy for anyone else?

It's really weird. It is almost like a staticy sounding vibration that is fairly audible.

I'm only playing with it in Windows and Steam Big Picture since I'm at work. :p Maybe it will behave differently in games.

Krejlooc

Banned
Is the haptic feedback on the controllers noisy for anyone else?

It's really weird. It is almost like a staticy sounding vibration that is fairly audible.

I'm only playing with it in Windows and Steam Big Picture since I'm at work. :p Maybe it will behave differently in games.

its supposed to sound like that.

I made a short video. 5 minutes of me playing csgo with the steam controller.

https://youtu.be/Du9BhRrBRtY

I don't know what to say yet. The controller itself is really different from controllers I've used over the years. So I guess that's a good thing. The touchpads have haptic feedback, I didn't know that, but it feels good. The ABXY buttons are really small and somehow hard to reach although I have big hands and long fingers. Playing rocket league I often pressed the wrong button.

Regarding CSGO: Imho spray control is not possible, keeping/putting the crosshair where you want it to be works really good on the other hand. AWPing seems manageable. Movement control is really bad. Hard stops or counter strafing is out of the questions. But it's fun. I definitely think casual shooters are easy to handle. Of course it will take time to get used to this new layout and the touchpads.

Thos grip buttons: I have no idea how to get used to these... I don't even know which finger is supposed to press them.

For me - although I've only spent a few minutes with the controller - this is the best controller input option by far. I can really see myself playing racing games, casual shooters and building sims with the steam controller. Valve did a really good job! I like it :)

Edit: Of course I'm not thinking a controller would be a viable option for CSGO lol. I just wanted to see how it works out (not that good as u can tell from the video)

Nice, what profile are you using? The ones I used were terrible.
I also realised that I really suck with controllers in general!

Nzyme32

Is it already better than dual sticks to you or is it not quite there yet?

Well you can't play Deus Ex with dual stick (we are talking OG Deus Ex here) so there is no comparison there.

Disregarding that, I'd say I'm not there yet - but I am 100% certain I will be in time. The most important differences here are that there is no auto aim, no aim assist and the sensitivity is orders of magnitude higher than any analogue sticks. Navigating around is no problem what so ever, already better than analogue sticks. I can "target" something super fast. The problem comes with going for the head shot. Right now I'm simply not used to the controller enough to do that unless I knock the sensitivity down, which defeats the purpose really. The more I play the better I'm getting, and I've only been playing a few hours with this trackball type setup vs decades of stick use / mouse use. I'm doing far better than I expected at this point, but I anticipate it will take me a long time to be where I want to be

Nyoro SF

My controller just arrived. I set it up and everything. Didn't test Steam Link yet.

My very first impression; Steam Big Picture Mode is booty buttcheeks.

As for the controller. If you use it as a replacement gamepad for your Xbox 360, it should be perfect. The controller is very good at emulating a joystick on the right pad and the buttons being closer together is GREAT. The thumbstick that people thought would be a throwaway is better than the 360 one because it has tighter radius, meaning less sloppy inputs.

Regarding keyboard inputs, the first thing I tried to do was create a configuration for Valkyria Chronicles (of course). This game is a little tricky but is a good test because it was originally designed to be controlled via controller, but had keyboard support added in later.

After much configuration and some annoyance (for example, "E" puts you in aim mode, but it also turns pages in menus, and "Tab" switches weapons, but it also brings up the unit menu, and the arrow keys walks your unit, but it also lets you change targets quickly while aiming. So I had to make sure the buttons were in common sense places.) I managed to create what I feel is an excellently serviceable config that mimics the more tight keyboard and mouse controls the game has to offer. So that's great on that front, and I made it Public, so feel free to try it out though I didn't see anywhere to download configs from.

However I don't think I will use this for games that play nice with a keyboard (like Killing Floor 2) merely because I still enjoy using mouse and keyboard, but if you're a Steam Link gamer I feel like this controller is very much worth the purchase... especially once more friendly configs start getting out there.

On a last note; the Steam Controller keyboard takes some getting used to, but it's really nice if you don't have a keyboard available once you get the hang of it; I was feeling pretty pro with my dual thumbs at the end.

Ricker

So my friends controller doesnt seem to work...he cannot move his characters in game,the right or left analog is not working...also in Big Picture it says to hold down X to connect the Steam Controller but nothing happens...do you press just X or X and the Steam Button...? anyway it flashes and nothing happens...

Krejlooc

Banned
So my friends controller doesnt seem to work...he cannot move his characters in game,the right or left analog is not working...also in Big Picture it says to hold down X to connect the Steam Controller but nothing happens...do you press just X or X and the Steam Button...? anyway it flashes and nothing happens...

hold X and press the steam button

Nzyme32

Also if windows asked to restart - do it. Mine asked, I didn't listen, it didn't work till I restarted

Ricker

hold X and press the steam button

He tried that also...I mean his controller works to a degree,he told me he can open menues in Witcher,he can jump but he cannot move his character,its a GOG game though but same thing happens when he tries Fallout NV that he bought on Steam.

Krejlooc

Banned
He tried that also...I mean his controller works to a degree,he told me he can open menues in Witcher,he can jump but he cannot move his character,its a GOG game though but same thing happens when he tries Fallout NV that he bought on Steam.

ask him which controller mapping he is using. Witcher, as an example, doesn't support a gamepad, so he'll need to use keyboard and mouse.

Anyone tried this out for non-steam games yet? I want to use it for Sims 4 and Settlers 7. I have my controller but I'm at work :(

You can use this in non-steam games just fine. Just make sure you launch them through steam.

MNC

you need to be in BPM to set bindings. But once set, if you launch the game from the desktop client, it'll still load your controller config.

Oh yes I am aware, but I meant can I map buttons to use while browsing or using the desktop. When I am not playing a game, I can use the track pad and click. I was wondering if I can change the buttons that click, or the way scrolling works

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Just got mine. Playing TBS on the couch is awesome so far.

I played some Broforce using the left pad as a dpad. Great clicking feedback, but diagonals are a mess. Also, the natural push up is actually push left and up. You need to consciously push up a certain way.

Seems like precision DPad is way too muddy on this... Unless there are some config options to make it better?

Krejlooc

Banned
Oh yes I am aware, but I meant can I map buttons to use while browsing or using the desktop. When I am not playing a game, I can use the track pad and click. I was wondering if I can change the buttons that click, or the way scrolling works

Kind of. I have a work around I'm detailing in my guide.

AJLma

Got mine today.

Took a few minutes to get used to, but browsing GAF with it is fine and within a few minutes I found myself reclining catching up on news even when my M&KB is right in front of me. It just needs a scroll function so I don't have to click/drag or click/click/click with the d-pad.

Time to try out some games. Ziggurat is up first I think, then I'll try:

Shadow Warrior
Wasteland 2
MGS:V
Dark Souls 2

Krejlooc

Banned
It just needs a scroll function so I don't have to click/drag or click/click/click with the d-pad.

Up until like 2 days ago, the left grip, in default legacy mode, was middle mouse click. So you could squeeze the left grip, then scroll by moving the right pad up and down.

They've changed the default legacy mode layout yet again. Outta luck for the moment, unfortunately.

Krejlooc

Banned
Just got mine. Playing TBS on the couch is awesome so far.

I played some Broforce using the left pad as a dpad. Great clicking feedback, but diagonals are a mess. Also, the natural push up is actually push left and up. You need to consciously push up a certain way.

Seems like precision DPad is way too muddy on this... Unless there are some config options to make it better?

play with the deadzone. It sounds like your deadzone is too big. I like a nice, tight, small dead zone.

Also, turn your haptics way up. It makes it easier to figure out which direction you are thumbing over.

Krejlooc

Banned
Such a tease! Looking forward to it though. I'm so in love with this thing.

Well, long story short, since this controller sends keyboard and mouse presses, you can use a middleware program like Autohotkey in windows, or XBindKeys in Linux, to look for those keypresses, intercept them, then send alternate key presses.

Autohotkey is awesome because your key binding macros compile into executables, so you can have a bunch of windows mappings in your start menu as programs you just click and launch.

Downside is that the keys you are remapping also remap your keyboard keys. So like, say the left grip is Lshift, and you change it so that when you press Lshift, it throws the middle mouse click... this means if you press LShift on your keyboard while the macro is running, it'll send the middle mouse click.

I'd go into more detail, but I'd basically be repeating the very information I'm typing up right now. I should have it out sunday. Autohotkey is a great program, btw. Very very powerful macro editing program for windows. I've been using it for about 10 years now. Highly recommended.

AJLma

Up until like 2 days ago, the left grip, in default legacy mode, was middle mouse click. So you could squeeze the left grip, then scroll by moving the right pad up and down.

They've changed the default legacy mode layout yet again. Outta luck for the moment, unfortunately.

This still works! Thanks.

MNC

I can do this right now. It works great. Don't think it worked just a minute ago... Don't know what I did.

Well, long story short, since this controller sends keyboard and mouse presses, you can use a middleware program like Autohotkey in windows, or XBindKeys in Linux, to look for those keypresses, intercept them, then send alternate key presses.

Autohotkey is awesome because your key binding macros compile into executables, so you can have a bunch of windows mappings in your start menu as programs you just click and launch.

Downside is that the keys you are remapping also remap your keyboard keys. So like, say the left grip is Lshift, and you change it so that when you press Lshift, it throws the middle mouse click... this means if you press LShift on your keyboard while the macro is running, it'll send the middle mouse click.

I'd go into more detail, but I'd basically be repeating the very information I'm typing up right now. I should have it out sunday. Autohotkey is a great program, btw. Very very powerful macro editing program for windows. I've been using it for about 10 years now. Highly recommended.

Sounds like a (good) workaround for something that (in my opinion) should go in Steam/the controller firmware as well. Thanks, looking forward to the guide.

MNC

Annoying bug: Turning off the controller (holding Steam button) also enables BPM if steam is running in the background.

I'll have to wait for my retail one to arrive, but I would be shocked if Valve had a separate tooling process for the final steam controller over the ones they've been sending out for months.

I looked at some gaffer and reddit pics and it seems there isn't much difference? Dunno.

Nabs

Annoying bug: Turning off the controller (holding Steam button) also enables BPM if steam is running in the background.

They should create a hard coded shift mode for the start or back button when used with the Steam button. That's what DS4Windows uses for turning off the DS4 without triggering BPM (Option + PS Button).

hepburn3d

Man I wish I could share my Elder Scrolls Online profile. It's soooo good. So much tinkering then BOOM perfect setup. Shame it's a non steam game.

Things I noticed. Trackball isn't always the best option. Haptic a is better with trackball but nice off for none. No need to make an enter key for typing. Just use return on steam keyboard to do chatting. Very nice :) it's taking a lot of getting used to but it's slowly becoming better than anything I've used

Top Bottom