• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam curator warns players if Sweet Baby is involved in a game

Haha, no. They weren't. But just by you saying "there was no problem" I can tell were not gonna reach an agreement on this.

What was missing? I can't tell.

My first gaming device was Coleco and then Atari, I lived the old days and never felt something was missing. We've had games with characters of all sorts from the beginning: female, black, Asian, Spaniards with Mexican accents, etc. Nobody complained, everything was fine.

One day, a group that had no interest in videogames noticed that this hobby was not for geeks anymore. Money was flowing and they wanted their piece. And they didn't enter this space by learning its culture and nuances. No, they entered as an elephant in a convenience store.

What is their contribution to this hobby so gamers should welcome them? So far the only thing they have brought to the table is conflict. With them came the same bullshit from the real world we are trying to avoid with this hobby.

Last edited:

Jaybe

Steam Baby Inc Detected should cross 300,000 in the next hour

r9gc66N.jpg

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Here's a Sweet Baby Inc. game that's not on the curated list: Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn. SBI founder Kim Belair worked on this.

BTW Who on earth ever complained that unlocking new areas of a world map "carried the stink of colonialism"? What game designers see a Far Cry like open world action game with a black protagonist as a metaphor for persons of color wrestling with colonizers who have taken over your agency? These people are f***ng mental.

another-game-influenced-by-kim-belair-sbi-flintlock-the-v0-78p7hrd8q9pc1.png

Last edited:

stn

That's a shame, I actually pre-ordered Flintlock before learning this.

EDIT: To be fair to SBI, I actually support their overall message of "more representation in gaming". But I don't like the way they have gone about it. Some of their key employees seem like toxic assholes and I genuinely dislike supporting toxic people.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Maybe already asked, but do we have a similar thread here or is there a site someplace where console games that use these shitbags as consultants is listed?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Another SBI game and yet another woman of color as the main lead……..getting to easy to pick these games out anymore.
If you have a white male character, you can make them anything. You can make them a badass hero or a sociopathic piece of shit or anything in between.

If you make a minority/gay/female character then you have to portray them exactly the right way. They need to be positive, likeable, stereotype-defying, yet “authentic”. You need to go out of your way to show how wonderful and pure they are. And you can’t show them in any way being deferential or subordinate to anyone in a less-marginalized identity group, unless those superiors are portrayed negatively and get proven wrong by the fierce and brave minority character.

Look at Forspoken. Black female MC? Ok, cool. Then Kotaku wrote a hit piece about how they visited Luminous studios and there were barely any black people working there. Luminous said they hired BIPOC consultants to make sure they portrayed her authentically. And Polygon bitched about how it doesn’t really count because they put a black woman in a fantasy world where racism doesn’t exist.

Give me a fucking break. They don’t want “diversity”. What they really want is propaganda.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Just my 2 cents, but imo the best games out there are those that came from the minds of either a single individual or a small group of people. DOOM, Fallout, Thief, System Shock, the Souls games, the Metal Gear games, etc.

Start adding more people on top of that vision and instead of an individualistic game that's true to the original vision, you'll end up with something that caters to many but has lost it's soul or whatever would have made that game special and unique in the first place.

winjer

So I just checked the Steam forums for Unknown 9 Awakening, and there is already several threads locked.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

Boss Mog

Here's a Sweet Baby Inc. game that's not on the curated list: Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn. SBI founder Kim Belair worked on this.

BTW Who on earth ever complained that unlocking new areas of a world map "carried the stink of colonialism"? What game designers see a Far Cry like open world action game with a black protagonist as a metaphor for persons of color wrestling with colonizers who have taken over your agency? These people are f***ng mental.

Pure mental illness, there's just no other way to describe it. It disgusts me that these kind of ideas are given even the slightest bit of consideration. The world feels more and more like an asylum, except it's the evil and insane who are running it while the hard-working decent folks are the prisoners who must passively comply or face their targeted wrath.

I'm just very confused. If you believe in your message and you believe you're in the right wouldn't you want people to know you're involved with a game. Seems odd they'd want to silence that info.
It’s be cause they know what they are doing…….planting seeds of hate and division through games. If people know the games they have poisoned then they will be upset because people will know which games to avoid.

Ugh! Not Flintlock too. This was the one game I thought looked great from whatever Xbox show that was.

Can't we just go back to Pac-Man. He ate his oppressors no matter what their color . . . but he did make them the same color before eating them . . . not sure my metaphor works better or worse knowing that. SBI is a melting pot that eventually all look/sound the same, and they're getting eaten up . . . that work? ha!

Toons

What was missing? I can't tell.

My first gaming device was Coleco and then Atari, I lived the old days and never felt something was missing. We've had games with characters of all sorts from the beginning: female, black, Asian, Spaniards with Mexican accents, etc. Nobody complained, everything was fine.

There were always people with complaints. Some legitimate, some not. They just weren't given a voice, so you couldn't hear them. Tale as old as time.

One day, a group that had no interest in videogames noticed that this hobby was not for geeks anymore. Money was flowing and they wanted their piece. And they didn't enter this space by learning its culture and nuances. No, they entered as an elephant in a convenience store.

Can you define this "group" and where they state their intentions to usyrp the gaming industry? Gaming needs people with different ideas, maybe not just the same people with the same ideas employing other people with the same ideas. Thats not good for any industry. Thats stagnation.

Besides... theres an irony here, when you say your culture and nuances aren't being respected. Theres been many people who've felt that way, but not because they were a "gamer".

What is their contribution to this hobby so gamers should welcome them? So far the only thing they have brought to the table is conflict. With them came the same bullshit from the real world we are trying to avoid with this hobby.

Again, you're using a lot of "us" and "them" but you aren't defining who "us" is and you aren't defining who "them" is. Theres no claim actually being made here just vague platitudes I can't acutely respond to. Sweeping generalizations, a boxing in of any undefined group of individuals based on superficial criteria. Is Druckman also in this "group"? Is Rocksteady now in this "group"? Where is the line?

Im genuinely asking. What "learning a culture and nuances" look like? Lack of conflict doesn't equate to perfection, nor does it mean theres no improvements to remain. Sometimes trying to change things for the better introduces conflict. Sometimes it attracts bad actors, like some of these employees at SBI. ALWAYS it attracts gridters who want a quick buck. But that doesn't mean nothing has been achieved.

Can you define this "group" and where they state their intentions to usyrp the gaming industry? Gaming needs people with different ideas, maybe not just the same people with the same ideas employing other people with the same ideas. Thats not good for any industry. Thats stagnation.

You're entitled to your opinion, but when the founder of SBI is saying things like:

“And so, today, what we do is writing, narrative design, story building, story breaking as our first and foremost. But on a secondary level we work very hard to get marginalized talent into the industry, to protect them the way that we would want to have been protected, to lift them up, and to get them into an industry where they’re too often shut out.”

“And basically, I think, to take over in the hopes that some really dope people will be able to lead into a kind of a new era for an industry that’s been kind of been, you know, the same way too long.”

“I don’t think it’s pie in the sky thinking to go like, ‘Hey, maybe we can invite white dudes to play as other people and experience different things through someone else’s eyes.’ And if they don’t like it, we have to start thinking, ‘We’re not losing. They’re losing, and we’re losing because we’re going to let them stand in the way of our progress and our innovation.’”

“If you’re creative working in AAA, which I did for many years, put this stuff up to your higher-ups. And if they don’t see the value and what you’re asking for when you ask for consultants, when you ask for research, go have a coffee with your marketing team and just terrify them with the possibility of what’s going to happen if they don’t give you what you want.”

...it is going to rile people up, particularly if you are a white dude paying £70 for a game that she does not want to stand in the way of her progress and innovation.

Last edited:

Toons

You're entitled to your opinion, but when the founder of SBI is saying things like:

“And so, today, what we do is writing, narrative design, story building, story breaking as our first and foremost. But on a secondary level we work very hard to get marginalized talent into the industry, to protect them the way that we would want to have been protected, to lift them up, and to get them into an industry where they’re too often shut out.”

“And basically, I think, to take over in the hopes that some really dope people will be able to lead into a kind of a new era for an industry that’s been kind of been, you know, the same way too long.”

Let's start this off with the fact that I dont think SBI represents everyone on the vague undefined "group" that the other user was describing. I think the notion that wanted some new ideas and diversity both on screen and behind it exist in the mindset of many people who genuinely love video games.

“I don’t think it’s pie in the sky thinking to go like, ‘Hey, maybe we can invite white dudes to play as other people and experience different things through someone else’s eyes.’ And if they don’t like it, we have to start thinking, ‘We’re not losing. They’re losing, and we’re losing because we’re going to let them stand in the way of our progress and our innovation.’”

This i would need context for, as it reads like a response to a specific question, not just a declaration.

“If you’re creative working in AAA, which I did for many years, put this stuff up to your higher-ups. And if they don’t see the value and what you’re asking for when you ask for consultants, when you ask for research, go have a coffee with your marketing team and just terrify them with the possibility of what’s going to happen if they don’t give you what you want.”

This is just basic workers rights thing, I dont see an issue here. In fact, I agree we need to hold higher ups more accountable, and the relationship between hugher ups and employees needs to shift. Scaring the higher uos can be a good thing with the right motive.

...it is going to rile people up, particularly if you are a white dude paying £70 for a game that she does not want to stand in the way of her progress and innovation.

Do you think every white guy is against a measure of representation in games? I dont think so. I know plenty of white guys who played and loved spider man 2 for example. One of my buddies said it might be one of his favorites of all time.

This whole sentiment, again, relies on an "us" vs "them" mentality, and unfortunately there's people at SBI who also employ this mentality. Those are the ones I feel need reeded out, or they need to readjust. Therrs a way to have new ideas and want to progress without hostility towards what came before.

Pure mental illness, there's just no other way to describe it. It disgusts me that these kind of ideas are given even the slightest bit of consideration. The world feels more and more like an asylum, except it's the evil and insane who are running it while the hard-working decent folks are the prisoners who must passively comply or face their targeted wrath.

The strong male jaw and man face is a recurring and hilarious theme. I love how these radical ideologues associate manliness with power, so they just make the women men.

They went into hiding because they are weak and caved to allow this nonsense in their game. All because they dare not be called racist. Now they don’t even have the courage to show their faces. That’s when you know they are up to no good and have been exposed. As for the main character, another woman of color of course. She does have a manly jaw and face doesnt she? Of course she does because the weirdos behind creating her and this game love trans men above and beyond any woman. So yes, any new game that is similair to this or the other loads of shite that have come out, is very easy to tell which ones SBI have been involved with.

kruis

The strong male jaw and man face is a recurring and hilarious theme. I love how these radical ideologues associate manliness with power, so they just make the women men.

I had no idea this game is published by Bandai Namco. They probably thought they were getting a western game doing everything western gamers like (and gaming journalists give high ratings to) these days and now there's a sudden backlash against the game that came from absolutely nowhere. They'll probably have no idea in Tokyo that this trend of woke western games isn't what gamers want, but a political message a very small group of progressives active in the gaming industry want to push down our throats. This is going to cost them millions of dollars.

Last edited:
Top Bottom