• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck OLED Announced: Coming November 16

Topher

Gold Member
I doubt they are even slim. My guess is that they sell the units at a loss and make up the money on Steam purchases.

Yeah, not sure. Could be the makey money on the higher priced units. I'm guessing the bump in storage (512 GB to 1 TB, for example) costs them a heck of a lot less than the $100 they charge customers.

Given the efficieny i would love to see if the new deck can pump out an addtional 5 to 10fps of performance in emulation. It looks like it's anywhere from 3-6FPS on PC games. Dissapointing that not a single reviewer has given us emulation performance stats yet with the system going on sale in two days. Even 3-6 FPS would make the difference on emulators like YUZU where the FPS drops into the mid 20s on some games.

Mythoclast

Between this, the Ally, or the Legion Go. I don't really know which one to get. I don't play handhelds that much, other than when I travel which is not that often. But being able to play GamePass natively on the go is pretty tempting. Hope they get a BF discount. Either that, or wait to see if there are hardware revisions next year with better battery life and can handle latest AAA comfortably at 60 fps.

Minsc

Gold Member
Between this, the Ally, or the Legion Go. I don't really know which one to get. I don't play handhelds that much, other than when I travel which is not that often. But being able to play GamePass natively on the go is pretty tempting. Hope they get a BF discount. Either that, or wait to see if there are hardware revisions next year with better battery life and can handle latest AAA comfortably at 60 fps.

Consoles can't even handle AAA at 60fps, I don't think you should expect portables running at 10-20W to do that, at least not long term.

I feel like this gen has barely even hit and already it could use a shot in the arm with the Pro consoles.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Just found a video about Steam deck that focuses on the TDP and the differences between the LCD and OLED models.

basically, the OLED TDP more strictly sticks to TDP limits and the LCD treats the limit as more of a guide than a limit.

TLDR: At low TDP like 5W, the OLED uses mostly 4-5W and sometimes 6W, but the LCD uses mostly 7-8W, and on the high end the OLED has a strong dislike for going above 20W where as the LCD will go 23-25W on the regular and even on rare occasions up to 29W.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I doubt they are even slim. My guess is that they sell the units at a loss and make up the money on Steam purchases.

From a parts point of view, it is really hard to imagine the Deck being sold at a loss. Certainly not the higher storage model at least.
Valve has never claimed this, they’ve sold the vast majority of their hardware at healthy markups.

Given the efficieny i would love to see if the new deck can pump out an addtional 5 to 10fps of performance in emulation. It looks like it's anywhere from 3-6FPS on PC games. Dissapointing that not a single reviewer has given us emulation performance stats yet with the system going on sale in two days. Even 3-6 FPS would make the difference on emulators like YUZU where the FPS drops into the mid 20s on some games.

I’m not sure the faster memory bandwidth would do much for emulation that’s usually CPU heavy.
But I’m not that knowledgeable about these things and can be wrong.

Consoles can't even handle AAA at 60fps, I don't think you should expect portables running at 10-20W to do that, at least not long term.

Handhelds only have to run these games at 720p - 800p, paired with reduced visual settings compared to console.

Darko

I wish valve sold the SD in my country, the markup from resellers is insane, best offer I'm seeing so far is about $950USD for the 1TB(not collectors).
Id gladly help gaffers out. After I get mines of course .. I heard there’s a 1 deck purchase per week limit.

Also you’ll see more realistic prices when it’s released… ppl don’t have the reservations yet.. I don’t know how they’re reselling lol

Last edited:

Darko

Casuals could have their hands full with the steam deck I grew up with this

41o4TmgQ2SL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
Win gpd mini is your friend.

Minsc

Gold Member
Handhelds only have to run these games at 720p - 800p, paired with reduced visual settings compared to console.
True - but I think the newer games that give handhelds a lot of trouble are still going to happen even with the Go or Deck 2 or whatever. I'd imagine these games are already running quite a bit of reduced visual settings (compared to PC) on consoles, so the level of reduction needed for handhelds may not be possible.

But yeah, if you care about performance of the latest AAAs you definitely need to jump around handhelds more often, I think every year there'll probably be some new handheld that's better than what you just got.

Klosshufvud

Just found a video about Steam deck that focuses on the TDP and the differences between the LCD and OLED models.

basically, the OLED TDP more strictly sticks to TDP limits and the LCD treats the limit as more of a guide than a limit.

TLDR: At low TDP like 5W, the OLED uses mostly 4-5W and sometimes 6W, but the LCD uses mostly 7-8W, and on the high end the OLED has a strong dislike for going above 20W where as the LCD will go 23-25W on the regular and even on rare occasions up to 29W.

Yup, really interesting. And goes to show the "Deck is a low watt champ" is a claim that is basically debunked now. Deck LCD TDP does not strictly respect power restrictions. It explains why Phoenix line APUs often need 7-8W to match the Deck at 4W. And why when Deck is reaching its diminishing returns (past 12W), the Phoenix APU completely blows past it. It also shows that our current methods of tracking TDP are faulty. Maybe general battery life is a way better indicator.

un1que

Ok. So between the reviews and a lot of you guys selling your old to upgrade to the new it’s made me take notice. Think I’m going to bite.

Have a few questions though. I have watched loads of videos (which most are click bait) to try and get answers but thought I’d ask you professionals on here.

1. I know you can stream gamepass but not install the games. If I was to get a none gamepass version of forza on the deck is there anyway to make the save cloud compatible with the gamepass one? I Can’t be bothered to start all over again!
  2. Same question with none steam games in the steam library and gog. Would cloud saving work with these so I can continue at home?
  3. Which version is best to get? Is the 1tb worth it for the better screen?
  4. Is the dock worth it?
  5. What’s the best accessories or software to add?

Topher

Gold Member
Good luc
Ok. So between the reviews and a lot of you guys selling your old to upgrade to the new it’s made me take notice. Think I’m going to bite.

Have a few questions though. I have watched loads of videos (which most are click bait) to try and get answers but thought I’d ask you professionals on here.

1. I know you can stream gamepass but not install the games. If I was to get a none gamepass version of forza on the deck is there anyway to make the save cloud compatible with the gamepass one? I Can’t be bothered to start all over again!
  2. Same question with none steam games in the steam library and gog. Would cloud saving work with these so I can continue at home?
  4. Is the dock worth it?

1) Yes

2) I'm pretty sure that's going to be on a per game basis, but you can install GOG and play the games on Steam Deck

3) Generally, the "premium" screen is not considered to be better. It eliminates much of what HDR gives you. Most here that I've seen are going for the 512GB version for the better non-premium screen. And upgrading to 1 TB is actually cheaper than buying the 1 TB model.

4) If you are going to use it in desktop mode a lot then yes. If you are strictly using it as a handheld, I'd say no

5) That could be a thread on its own. On mine, I put a dbrand skin on it and a screen protector. That's about it. Software wise, if you are into emulation, look into EmuDeck

Last edited:

un1que

Good luc

1) Yes

2) I'm pretty sure that's going to be on a per game basis, but you can install GOG and play the games on Steam Deck

3) Generally, the "premium" screen is not considered to be better. It eliminates much of what HDR gives you. Most here that I've seen are going for the 512GB version for the better non-premium screen. And upgrading to 1 TB is actually cheaper than buying the 1 TB model.

4) If you are going to use it in desktop mode a lot then yes. If you are strictly using it as a handheld, I'd say no

5) That could be a thread on its own. On mine, I put a dbrand skin on it and a screen protector. That's about it. Software wise, if you are into emulation, look into EmuDeck
Thank for the response. I appreciate it.

Oh yes I’ll be getting emudeck alright.

Surprises me about the screen though. Any recommendations which is the best 1tb to upgrade to?

Topher

Gold Member
Thank for the response. I appreciate it.

Oh yes I’ll be getting emudeck alright.

Surprises me about the screen though. Any recommendations which is the best 1tb to upgrade to?

Yeah, the stuff about the "premium" screen was mentioned a lot on the first Steam Deck so I'm actually a little surprised they kept it.

Any of the name brand 2230 m.2s PCIe 4 NVMe are fine. Western Digital, Samsung, Corsair, etc. I ought a 1 TB Silicon Power SSD for my Rog Ally as it had great reviews and it has been fine. Some folks rather get 2 TB or more, but 1 TB is good for me.

You can also play games off a micro SD.

un1que

Yeah, the stuff about the "premium" screen was mentioned a lot on the first Steam Deck so I'm actually a little surprised they kept it.

Any of the name brand 2230 m.2s PCIe 4 NVMe are fine. Western Digital, Samsung, Corsair, etc. I ought a 1 TB Silicon Power SSD for my Rog Ally as it had great reviews and it has been fine. Some folks rather get 2 TB or more, but 1 TB is good for me.

You can also play games off a micro SD.
Nice one. Thank you

You getting one yourself or sticking to your rog ally?

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Sticking with Ally. I probably would have held off on Ally if I had known this was coming though. That screen looks really nice.
ROG should make a response. Even if Ally is stronger, Valve is going to eat their lunch with this OLED.

I dont think they'd need to change much beyond increasing battery size, redoing the ergonomics a bit, adding 2 more back buttons and of course, the oled screen.

Topher

Gold Member
ROG should make a response. Even if Ally is stronger, Valve is going to eat their lunch with this OLED.

I dont think they'd need to change much beyond increasing battery size, redoing the ergonomics a bit, adding 2 more back buttons and of course, the oled screen.

I'm actually quite happy with the Ally. The screen isn't as bad as the original Steam Deck. Sound is fantastic. I'd take a $200 hit if I tried to sell it right now as the market is a bit flooded with handhelds. So after being all gung-ho initially about OLED, reality said...

Will Smith Slap GIF by Xavier Degraux

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I'm actually quite happy with the Ally. The screen isn't as bad as the original Steam Deck. Sound is fantastic. I'd take a $200 hit if I tried to sell it right now as the market is a bit flooded with handhelds. So after being all gung-ho initially about OLED, reality said...

Will Smith Slap GIF by Xavier Degraux
I get that, but an OLED revision, jsut like with the Deck, would patch up all the issues with the hardware in it's current incarnation. I'd like to see what ASUS would upgrade myself.

Wouldn’t be surprised if a new Rog Ally releases next year.

Still debating if I want to upgrade to the OLED, the hassle of selling my old steam deck is what’s making me hesitant.

Ozriel

M$FT

Im actually quite happy they’ve made that 1TB limited edition that many people seem to want, for whatever reason. Leaves more supply of the 512gb for me 😀

Might look for an attractive deal on a 2TB 2230 SSD since it’s clear we aren’t getting a Steamdeck 2 for years.

Topher

Gold Member
Im actually quite happy they’ve made that 1TB limited edition that many people seem to want, for whatever reason. Leaves more supply of the 512gb for me 😀

Might look for an attractive deal on a 2TB 2230 SSD since it’s clear we aren’t getting a Steamdeck 2 for years.

I'm going to be watching today and see which ones get gobbled up first. Thinking the limited edition will be gone in milliseconds, but I don't see a lot of upside to that regular 1 TB version so that 512 GB may get a lot of clicks.

Bry0

A couple things that are not being discussed often enough amongst most media I’ve watched.

Oled models people are reviewing are using some variant of steamOS 3.5.
In 3.5 the LCD models get new adjustable vibrancy and color temperature options that change the look of the LCD for the better by a significant amount.

There are also performance and tdp power management changes in steamOS 3.5 that can be accessed on your lcd system by using the preview branch.

Most YouTubers I have seen doing comparisons are not stating what version of the OS they are using on their LCD models, so a lot of these comparisons are honestly bunk.

The SMT fix for example is pretty significant depending on the game, and I don’t recall if DF mentioned what OS version the lcd was using as that could have a big impact on things like stutter. Same for screen comparisons as obviously the oled is still king, but the LCD at the default 3.5 settings is significantly different (better) looking than how it looks on the stable OS branch. Valve is doing a lot of heavy lifting via software, it’s pretty interesting. 3.5 has an absolutely massive list of changes and improvements. It’s really exciting.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
A couple things that are not being discussed often enough amongst most media I’ve watched.

Oled models people are reviewing are using some variant of steamOS 3.5.
In 3.5 the LCD models get new adjustable vibrancy and color temperature options that change the look of the LCD for the better by a significant amount.

There are also performance and tdp power management changes in steamOS 3.5 that can be accessed on your lcd system by using the preview branch.

Most YouTubers I have seen doing comparisons are not stating what version of the OS they are using on their LCD models, so a lot of these comparisons are honestly bunk.

The SMT fix for example is pretty significant depending on the game, and I don’t recall if DF mentioned what OS version the lcd was using as that could have a big impact on things like stutter.

People have been using Vibrant screen mods for the Deck for ages now. It doesn’t compare to OLED at all. The OLED model also has a bigger screen. Nor will it add HDR support.
OS updates won’t turn a 40Whr battery to a 50Whr battery either.

Bry0

People have been using Vibrant screen mods for the Deck for ages now. It doesn’t compare to OLED at all. The OLED model also has a bigger screen. Nor will it add HDR support.
OS updates won’t turn a 40Whr battery to a 50Whr battery either.
Vibrant deck does not do what valve is doing in 3.5. 3.5 looks a lot better. That said yeah obviously oled is going to crush it. Im just putting some info out there as media seem to be overlooking all the software changes coming.
The oled model is obviously better in basically every way, I never made any argument it wasn’t .

Last edited:

Reallink

4. Is the dock worth it?

Strongly recommend avoiding Steamdeck if you have any interest in playing "non-Steam" games (i.e. Gamepass, Epic, Bnet, Uplay, Origin, Etc...). Lot of stuff won't work at all, and those that do each require a 30 step guide of Linux nonsense or third party "hack" tools. Look into the Windows based devices (ROG, Legion Go) as they work exactly like a Windows based gaming desktop/laptop (which you obviously have experience with if you're asking about GOG or Gamepass). Could not have been any happier to sell my Steamdeck for one. Absolutely hated only having part of my Steam library (that worked) and lack of third party stores.

Last edited:

un1que

Strongly recommend avoiding Steamdeck if you have any interest in playing "non-Steam" games (i.e. Gamepass, Epic, Bnet, Uplay, Origin, Etc...). Lot of stuff won't work at all, and those that do each require a 30 step guide of Linux nonsense or third party "hack" tools. Look into the Windows based devices (ROG, Legion Go) as they work exactly like a Windows based gaming desktop/laptop (which you obviously have experience with if you're asking about GOG or Gamepass). Could not have been any happier to sell my Steamdeck for one. Absolutely hated only having part of my Steam library (that worked) and lack of third party stores.

Dammit. All the positive stuff around this new steam deck I thought it’d be more simple. I’ll do a bit more research to see how complex it is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom