• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck OLED Announced: Coming November 16

Right when I was thinking about posting to ask what was the best gaming handheld PC right now, nice. What in the Nine Hells justifies the 90 price point on the docking station though?

Also, how easy is it to install non-Steam stuff on this - namely emulators?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Right when I was thinking about posting to ask what was the best gaming handheld PC right now, nice. What in the Nine Hells justifies the 90 price point on the docking station though?

Emudeck makes emulation on the system trivial. Non steam stuff is about as easy as installing heroic games launcher and logging in with your gog/epic/battle.net account.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

You can use any cheap 3rd party docks or USB hubs

Dream-Knife

Banned
For anyone who doesn’t have an OLED Switch or have never tried an OLED handheld, the difference between LCD and OLED is absolutely massive. I almost never use my current Steam Deck because of how pathetic the screen looks compared to my Switch.

And if anyone is concerned about the 720p screen (well, 800p I guess), don’t be. You’ll be so blown away by the quality of the panel that it won’t even matter.

This is a huge win for anyone who was on the fence about the Steam Deck but still haven’t taken the plunge.

Know that I’m fucking furiously jealous of you people.
Phones have oled. Yeah the blacks look like the screen is off. Other than that, meh.

If valve could out an 800p CRT in these bad boys, now that would be something.

Topher

Gold Member
Kinnda wish they would have added the Z1 Extreme. The deck struggles to run newer games.

It is always a balancing act with handhelds. Ally has that Z1 Extreme, but the battery life isn't nearly as good and it runs hotter. Valve said they are waiting for a chip that will improve performance without significantly impacting battery or thermals.

Minsc

Gold Member
Sold my Deck, in for the upgrade on the 16th.

Any thoughts on the etched screen vs. non-etched? I had the etched 512 and loved it, but dont wanna miss any OLED goodness.

View: https://youtu.be/X_9bMdWC50U?si=fY0L981WuWPgbiz1&t=396

The difference is pretty noticeable in the LCD version, see above video.

Phones have oled. Yeah the blacks look like the screen is off. Other than that, meh.

Yeah, no. Check any of the videos compared to the OG Deck the screen is miles better for colors, not just black, and it's also 1000 nit HDR. The Deck's screen is one of the worst LCDs I've ever seen. Plus OLED will look way better in motion, colors aside, so emulators and pixel art with moving backgrounds should draw the screen with less blur. And it's 90hz not 60, which is better as well.

Dream-Knife

Banned

Yeah, no. Check any of the videos compared to the OG Deck the screen is miles better for colors, not just black, and it's also 1000 nit HDR. The Deck's screen is one of the worst LCDs I've ever seen. Plus OLED will look way better in motion, colors aside, so emulators and pixel art with moving backgrounds should draw the screen with less blur. And it's 90hz not 60, which is better as well.

I'm not doubing the screen has better colors. I said oled being an indicator of screen quality is overblown.

90hz is irrelevant when games can't run at that frame rate on the deck in the first place.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
have you ever seen a CRT in a portable video game device????? Shit it's a herculean effort to get those things to be holdable with one arm let alone fit them in even as large of a casing as the steam deck.

Just get Retroarch, a composite filter + CRT Royale and be done with it.

Dream-Knife

Banned
have you ever seen a CRT in a portable video game device????? Shit it's a herculean effort to get those things to be holdable with one arm let alone fit them in even as large of a casing as the steam deck.

Just get Retroarch, a composite filter + CRT Royale and be done with it.
Hit the gym soyboy.

It would be neat.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Hit the gym soyboy.

It would be neat.
you are telling a person who games on a steam deck to hit the gym.

goofy+ahh+soundboard.png

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Nice quality of life additions, but if I’m being honest it isn’t enough. They should have saved this for deck 2 added an 8inch screen and improved the cpu/gpu

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm not doubing the screen has better colors. I said oled being an indicator of screen quality is overblown.

90hz is irrelevant when games can't run at that frame rate on the deck in the first place.

Not exactly, you can now run the screen at 80hz and cap framerate to 40fps or keep it 90hz and cap framerate to 30 or 45, or run the screen 60hz and cap to 60. A lot more options.

And capping to 40fps on an 80hz screen eliminates the flicker you get running at 40hz on the LCD screen. So it'll have plenty of use, especially on a portable device.

And the DF review of it, the show Ori in the first few minutes, and it's of course a beautiful looking example of a hand drawn style game, with HDR support, and it is also running at 90fps with no fluctuations. Granted it's a game that runs on the Switch (at 60fps), but it's still a great game for anyone who hasn't played it, and one that particularly benefits from the OLED/HDR and also can run at 90fps on the device as well.

Perhaps more beneficial games will be all those boomer shooters and other FPS stuff like Doom 2016/Eternal running at 90fps, definitely an advantage there compared to 60.

Nice quality of life additions, but if I’m being honest it isn’t enough. They should have saved this for deck 2 added an 8inch screen and improved the cpu/gpu

They improved like 20 different things on the device, some major like battery (up to 12 hours), WiFI 6, the 1-of-a-kind HDR OLED screen, and some more minor like the better speakers, larger screen/smaller bezels, and so forth. And all for almost exact same price as it was before (think maybe it's an extra $10-20?). How is that not great? I wish other companies would do similar! The Switch sold for $50 more for OLED and didn't have nearly a tenth the improvements.

Last edited:

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
Id love to play around with such a cool gadget but my old PC with sofa seat is enough for me, I don't want too much stuff. I think I'll just get an OLED monitor for my PC one day.

I think I might still get the 1TB, and put on a screen protector.

Minsc

Gold Member
Might as well throw up the full list of changes:

General
  • Updated APU to 6 nm for better efficiency
  • Updated memory to 6400 MT/s, improving latency and power management
  • Increased thermal module thickness and performance
Display
  • Increased active area to 7.4" (from 7.0")
  • Updated refresh rate to 90Hz (from 60Hz)
  • Updated peak brightness to 1000 nits
  • Updated touchscreen polling rate to 180Hz, improved latency and accuracy
WiFi/Bluetooth
  • Updated WiFi / Bluetooth module
  • Added support for WiFi 6E
  • Added support for Bluetooth 5.3, supporting newer codecs such as aptX HD and aptX low-latency
  • Added third antenna near the top of the device for better Bluetooth performance, including when docked
  • Added support for wake from Bluetooth controllers
Audio
  • Improved bass response for an overall flatter sound profile
  • Added support for using onboard microphone array simultaneously with the 3.5mm headphones connector
Controls
  • Adjusted analog stick top material and shape for increased grip and dust build-up resistance
  • Adjusted analog stick post material to improve interaction feel with front cover and reduce wear
  • Improved reliability of analog stick touch detection
  • Improved responsiveness and tactility of shoulder buttons switch mechanism
  • Adjusted D-pad snap ratio and diagonal interactions
  • Redesigned trackpad for improved fidelity and edge detection
  • Greatly improved trackpad haptics feel and precision
Power
  • Improved battery capacity from 40Wh to 50Wh
  • Improved battery chemistry for faster charging, from 20% to 80% in as little as 45 minutes
  • Changed charging LED to WRGB
  • Added support for waking up from initial unboxing by long-pressing power button instead of requiring AC power
  • Adjusted power supply cable length from 1.5m to 2.5m
  • Added logo to power supply
Frame
  • Reduced total system weight to ~640g, or ~5% less than Steam Deck
  • Rear cover screws now thread into metal
  • Adjusted rear cover screw heads to Torx™, as well as other materials and geometry tweaks on the heads to reduce stripping risk
  • Lowered number of screw types throughout system
  • Reduced step count required for common repairs
  • Improved bumper switch mechanism drop reliability
  • Moved bumper switch to joystick board for easier repair
  • Improved display repair/replacement to not require taking rear cover off
Software
  • Greatly improved memory power management firmware
  • Added preliminary support for open-source BIOS and EC firmware
  • Improved resume time by roughly 30%

So major differences I'd say: OLED screen, HDR, 90hz/fps, Wifi 6, better analog sticks and dpad, runs quieter/cooler, larger display area, and TON of minor changes like the better bass performance in audio, etc.

I think if they manage to get the Deck 2 an equally big list of improvements over this (obviously including a 2-3x faster cpu/gpu), it'll be everything most could ask for.

Minsc

Gold Member
I think I might still get the 1TB, and put on a screen protector.

Definitely check out videos for the OLED version specifically, you may be giving up those black blacks in the 1TB version with that anti-glare filter, at least that's what I'm reading. It's simple enough to add an anti-glare screen protector to the 512GB version - or swap that one to a 1 or 2TB version - so I dunno. Definitely be sure to check out some videos over the next week comparing the two OLED models.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Not exactly, you can now run the screen at 80hz and cap framerate to 40fps or keep it 90hz and cap framerate to 30 or 45, or run the screen 60hz and cap to 60. A lot more options.

And capping to 40fps on an 80hz screen eliminates the flicker you get running at 40hz on the LCD screen. So it'll have plenty of use, especially on a portable device.

And the DF review of it, the show Ori in the first few minutes, and it's of course a beautiful looking example of a hand drawn style game, with HDR support, and it is also running at 90fps with no fluctuations. Granted it's a game that runs on the Switch (at 60fps), but it's still a great game for anyone who hasn't played it, and one that particularly benefits from the OLED/HDR and also can run at 90fps on the device as well.

Perhaps more beneficial games will be all those boomer shooters and other FPS stuff like Doom 2016/Eternal running at 90fps, definitely an advantage there compared to 60.

They improved like 20 different things on the device, some major like battery (up to 12 hours), WiFI 6, the 1-of-a-kind HDR OLED screen, and some more minor like the better speakers, larger screen/smaller bezels, and so forth. And all for almost exact same price as it was before (think maybe it's an extra $10-20?). How is that not great? I wish other companies would do similar! The Switch sold for $50 more for OLED and didn't have nearly a tenth the improvements.

Again I stand by my statement that it's QOL improvements and I'm not bashing that, I simply feel that all those features should have come with fundamental changes to the Processor and cpu which is what it runs. Both competitors have better hardware out for "Games"

Minsc

Gold Member
Again I stand by my statement that it's QOL improvements and I'm not bashing that, I simply feel that all those features should have come with fundamental changes to the Processor and cpu which is what it runs. Both competitors have better hardware out for "Games"

But they will when the Deck 2 releases, in the meantime, this refresh is offering quite a large number of significant changes. A 90fps option, OLED, HDR (again the only handheld available on the market that does OLED HDR), and actual working dpad along with the other changes which are QOL.

There is a 8% performance bump, but IMO the OLED screen that instantly makes every single one of the 100s of thousands of games that work on the device look significantly better than before is every bit as good as getting a PS4 Pro or a PS5 Pro that gives better performance but runs the same games.

I don't see how higher framerate (which this will allow), or better graphics is not the same as the OLED which actually gives you better graphics on every single game on the device.

Edit: The OLED Switch is so much nicer than the original Switch, and really breathes a ton of life in to that handheld, so I'm really excited for this OLED Deck, which is doing FAR FAR more than the OLED Switch did at a smaller price increase.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Going by that article about Valve saying Nintendo made OLED screens for portables possible and some evidence shown by Linus, it's possible that Valve was able to get a good deal on a OLED panel from the same manufacturer as Nintendo. This would make it a quick and cheap way to bolster sales in the same manner Nintendo did with their OLED by bringing a better screen and QoL upgrades. This also puts Deck in a prime position versus other PC handhelds.

As an upgrade for people who don't yet have a Deck it's a no-brainer. Personally, as a Deck owner it doesn't address my main issue with the Deck which is that it's right under the mark it needs to be to play certain games like Starfield or Returnal, so only a Deck 2 with upgraded SoC would be worth the money and effort to upgrade. Not to say other Deck owners would feel this way. There's numerous people already saying they plan on selling their Deck and using it towards the OLED model. To each their own.

P.S.- If people plan on selling their Deck, they better do it before the general public finds out you can buy a new 64GB Deck for $350, or refurbished 512GB with 1yr warranty for $359. Valve had the refurbished 64GB Deck for $279 for an hour or 2 before they sold out the morning of the announcement.

Last edited:
Definitely check out videos for the OLED version specifically, you may be giving up those black blacks in the 1TB version with that anti-glare filter, at least that's what I'm reading. It's simple enough to add an anti-glare screen protector to the 512GB version - or swap that one to a 1 or 2TB version - so I dunno. Definitely be sure to check out some videos over the next week comparing the two OLED models.
Wish we could choose 1TB with glossy.
Might go 512 then. I guess you miss out on the deluxe case, and that’s about it. I have a 512SD for the 512 lcd I just sold. Who knows! I watched the one vid and I’m not sure the comparison sold me. In the overhead shot, the blacks on the non-glossy and glossy looked the same, and then when he put it at an angle to catch light, it looked grayer, because it’s diffusing the direct light

I think both are probably great, and tradeoffs in both.

Last edited:

Killer8

OLED makes a massive difference, it is basically the holy grail of gaming in a post-CRT world. If you gave me the upgrade choice between a higher res LCD with more powerful internals to push that resolution, versus the same powered handheld running the games at the same resolution, except it's OLED - I would take that second option any day of the week.

I need someone to do glossy vs etched side by side review. Killing me there’s nothing. I’d love the 1TB for the convenience and the case, but if it’s a worse experience…I’ll go for the 512.

StereoVsn

And you can always throw in 1tb yourself. It’s like $70-80 on Amazon now days, with 2TB around $150-200 depending on the brand.

Personally I have 512gb Deck and would rather have the regular glass. Number of times I have played the thing outside I can count on my hands. And you can always get a screen protector if it really matters that much.

Minsc

Gold Member
That and just the thousands of older games yea

Those and all the newer games that would benefit immensely from 90fps, like the "overwhelming positive" Dusk and dozens of other boomer shooters and new indie games.

Edit: So yeah, I don't really agree with calling a 60 > 90fps upgrade a "QOL improvement" one bit. Going from 60 > 90 fps in games is I imagine almost as transformative as going from 30 > 60.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
OLED makes a massive difference, it is basically the holy grail of gaming in a post-CRT world. If you gave me the upgrade choice between a higher res LCD with more powerful internals to push that resolution, versus the same powered handheld running the games at the same resolution, except it's OLED - I would take that second option any day of the week.
Play the legion go and tell me again this is your choice and while the go isn’t an oled that size is a game changer for me as an adult with bigger hands and fading eyes

Not shitting on these improvements at all again great for new owners but as an og owner I’m not biting until it’s improved spec wise I have an ally and legion go as well and preferred the legion go over all others currently

Last edited:

TaroYamada

What games do you guys usually play on your steam deck?
I beat all of the following on my Steam Deck:
  • Ace Combat 7
  • Tomb Raider 2013
  • Disco Elysium
  • Darksiders II
  • Destroy All Humans Remake
  • Atomic Heart
  • Dishonored
  • Yakuza 6
  • Sonic Superstars
  • Sonic Frontiers
  • Metal Gear Rising
  • Transformers Devastation
  • Gurumin
  • Child of Light
  • MGS V Ground Zeroes
  • Ryse
  • Katamari Damacy: Reroll
  • Call of Juarez Gunslinger
  • Nights into Dreams
  • Kane and Lynch 2
  • Panzer Dragoon remake
  • South Park Fractured but Whole

I am now playing Devil May Cry 5 and Valkyria Chronicles 4.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
I checked Ebay myself and holy fuck, so many new listings.

The demand is real

Yeah, I have a feeling this thing is going to "sell out" pretty damn fast, that is the shipping now is going to change to shipping in a few months (after xmas holidays). No way Valve has enough to meet the holiday demand I think. Good luck to whoever doesn't want to buy from scalpers getting in the first batch.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I checked Ebay myself and holy fuck, so many new listings.

The demand is real
Yup, I paid the $10 to promote my listing and sold it for probably a little less than I could’ve got. For me it’s worth it to get it over and done with instead of risking waiting for the market to get flooded.

Now I’m just praying that lord Gaben will bless me on Thursday, I really want that 1TB model.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Checking Ebay for Canadian listings of Steam Deck and boy.....many are pricing them higher than the new price let alone the refurbished price.

I'd just buy straight from Valve if this is what people are trying to sell them for..

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
The 512 GB OLED looks really appealing. I had the 512 GB LCD but I sold it not long after I got it. With the features and updates since launch it looks so much better.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Checking Ebay for Canadian listings of Steam Deck and boy.....many are pricing them higher than the new price let alone the refurbished price.

I'd just buy straight from Valve if this is what people are trying to sell them for..
Somebody would have to be brain dead to buy a Deck from Ebay without looking at the Steam website. Valve considers a used 64GB with 1yr. warranty to be worth $279. If I was advising a friend, I would say a used 64GB is worth $225, 256GB worth $250, and the 512GB worth $275. Max. That warranty is really important if you don't want to be left with a brick.

I put about 20 Deck auctions on my Ebay watchlist of curiosity to see what they close at. Here's a 256GB in the US at $335 with $49 shipping with 2hrs to go. A brand new 256GB LCD is $399 and this dumbass is paying $384 for a used 256GB Deck without a warranty. Refurbished 512GB is available from Valve for $359 atm, the 256GB was just in stock about 15min ago at $320.
83XxqY6.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom