• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2017 - Giveaways are back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
doing so little XIII-2 progress that I might aswell set it aside because im not going to finish it before Atelier for sure (and I want to play Atelier day 1 if only to justify the day 1 purchase...which technically I havent done it yet lol).

One thing tho, I finished chapter 1 and did the time travel thing, there was A LOT of nodes in that time travel screen to choose (well not to choose because I could only choose the next one, but eventually I guess) so maybe the game isnt as short as I was lead to believe.

Then I foought a giant hand, this game is weird. I see they are going to put those quicktime events during normal battles, which im kinda ok with I think?

Still no monster taming tho, but I stopped shortly after fighting that giant hand.

Nillansan

i'm playing diluvion (gonna do a review) and so far its preeetty cool.

Please post it here, I am really curious about this game, it seems pretty damn ambitious.

The port will also be locked at 600p, run at sub 30 on a GTX 1080, and be always online for some strange reason.

Regardless of which games we'll end up with, the porting job will at the very least be decent given SEGA's track record.

FLD

I'm using Logitech g402 myself and I'm rather satisfied with that, but it's probably the first quality mouse I've been using in years, so I have no point of comparison. Today I would probably get a g403, if only because it looks less like a goddamn spaceship.

Just make sure to get something with a flawless sensor that is comfortable for the grip you like.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZzbKDmFOqsP_ut2RdctD01OEbZzbXol6HLwqVkSmZcg/edit#gid=0

This list is out of date, but still a good starting point. The G402 sensor is fine, but I personally found it extremely uncomfortable. Had to return mine in the end.

Mionix, Zowie, and the other Logitechs should all be good.

I've been using a Steelseries Rival 100 for a few months now and I'm quite happy with it, got it for around 35€. It has nothing special but works fine and is very confortable to use!

Thanks. Ended up ordering a G502 after doing some reading. Pricier than I initially intended but everything I've seen points to it being a pretty solid choice. It's on that spreadsheet, too, so that's good to know!

I almost went with a Corsair M65 Pro because it was cheaper and I liked the looks more but that tacky "sniper button" on the side looked like it would get in the way and be annoying as hell.

prudislav

Finally! This is one of the best 3D platformers of the recent years! I completed the EA build and I want more. Plus the leaderboards were reset!

https://steamcommunity.com/games/poi/announcements/detail/572356566930100621
Damn that looks cute :-O
JtS1dVG.gif

... lets hope the gameplay is nice too
LAUNCH trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CiOK0Zir0I

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh I just realised, Dead Rising 4 should be a 3 situation of coming to Steam a few months later right?

Pachimari

Dunno if this works, I had it already:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Pachimari, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Hero of the Kingdom II -- MB-EF78E828536212E2 - Taken by Ludens. 2 entrants total.

t1485976431z1.png

PaulSane

If you need 4k60 at all times, 1080 might be enough (1080TI being the safer bet).
If you're okay with going to 4k30 or , say, 1700p60 at times, 1070 should be enough.
I had 970 previously (which is slightly slower than 1060), and the only time I could hit 4k60 on AAA games was with properly optimized releases of X360/PS3 gen. Things like DmC, Arkham Asylum, the likes. And even then, it usually required some serious tinkering with the setting to keep the framerate smooth.

Good thing i rarely play AAA games then :p Anyway, thanks for the info!
My other option is to not upgrade at all this month, and wait until i return from a work trip in several months, at which point these cards might drop in price enough to justify not buying them right now. Atelier in 4K though...

Speaking of which, i was actually able to fully fund this purchase with Berseria card money. Thanks, Bamco!

723a142667.jpg

Found some spare keys on an old .txt file so have at them, guys.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Dangerblade, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

BANZAI PECAN: The Last Hope For the Young Century -- MB-46404568FF4EAA2B - Taken by Cth. 3 entrants total.
Insurgency -- MB-787D5E97F4742D12 - Taken by fifasnipe2224. 1 entrants total.
Men of War: Assault Squad GOTY -- MB-7D09CB8E6734A8F0 - Taken by Cels. 1 entrants total.
Sword of Asumi -- MB-219B5B9807D9A716 - Taken by fuzzy123. 3 entrants total.

t1485987199z1.png

Lomax

Are there any downsides/dangers to overclocking?

The biggest danger would be overheating, and so long as you're attentive to what you are doing, it shouldn't be a real issue. It can also cause additional stability and crashing issues that you may not even realize are happening, but it's not like Windows computers are all that stable anyway.

Oof, I was thinking it would be $10-$15 at most for lowest tier, wasn't expecting 15£. Glad to see it succeeding though.

Kiru

CPU & GPU

970 and an i5-6600k

I'm a total newbie to OC though

Didn't try overclocking my CPU yet, but overclocking the GPU is super easy. Just download MSI Afterburner, run it while playing some demanding game and play with the core clock, vram and voltage sliders until you can see artifacts ingame. If you encounter them you gotta turn that specific slider a bit down again. Doubt you can fry your card with Afterburner. Keep in mind that your final values in one game can still be unstable in some other game. Overclocking is fiddling a lot with values until everything works perfectly in every game. People say that overclocking can shorten the lifespan of the hardware, eh whatever, NVIDIA only allows voltage increase to a certain value, I say it's pretty safe to do... Every card manufacturer on earth wouldn't supply you with their Overclocking Software if it would be that dangerous.

Nzyme32

Are there any downsides/dangers to overclocking?

Overheating. If you were to do it and consistently have an overheated state regularly, you will likely reduce the life span of the component in question.

As far as Overclocking goes, it's pretty damn safe if you keep an eye on temperatures to see that it is doing well. Looking at my own machine, which is already a small form factor machine and thus much more susceptible to higher temperatures, I have a decent heat sink on my i5 6600k and moved it from 3.9ghz to 4.4ghz and the temperatures are well within reason under-load and at idle.

Similarly the GTX 1060 has been overclocked, but I didn't experiment much at all; about 150mhz oc to core and 500mhz oc to memory. No problem at all with temperatures. Just used games and the odd benchmark to make sure when stressed consistently the temps are good and the same when idle

CPU & GPU

970 and an i5-6600k

I'm a total newbie to OC though

If you don't know what you're doing, it's probably not something you should be messing around with. OC'ing isn't really going to get you the crazy speed you think it will.

That being said, it's not as hard or complicated as it used to be 17+ years ago, most motherboards have built in auto settings, that are pretty safe. Go that route if you are die hard about it.

I highly suggest you don't OC your GPU though, you are going to run into more problems than its worth. Unless you are running a refferance card, most manufacturers already overclock their cards to safe levels and anything past that can cause issues.I'm not saying it will for sure, but it gives you a higher risk of things happening that most people will blame on something else like the OS and not their overclock.

Again, I don't think OCing in this day really is that big of a deal and just because you are running a higher clock speed doesn't mean your PC will just up in performance all that much. Again, if you are dead set on it, read up and just try the auto oc on your motherboard, it's good enough as a starting point and take your time. Good luck dude!

Nzyme32

Currently that is $19. They won't take money till March 3rd though. By then Brexit may have knocked the £ to lower than the dollar for all we know, so it could well be in that margin

Nzyme32

GabeN in action

Steam Client Beta Update - Febuary 1st, 2017
1 FEBRUARY - ALFRED

The client beta has just been updated with the following changes:

General
- Updated Web Control to CEF v56.0.2924.51
- Added a setting to disable group event and announcement notifications
- Steam no longer shows notifications for all of your friends who are online/in-game when you first sign-in, instead you see notifications only for friends who change status after you sign-in
- Fixed Web Control failing to localize dates correctly
- Fixed Steam Video Player failing to load correctly when using non-latin characters in your Windows user name

Big Picture
- Big Picture ignores input from racing wheels and flight sticks including the Thrustmaster TX and HOTAS Warthog

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
GabeN in action

1 FEBRUARY - ALFRED

General
- Steam no longer shows notifications for all of your friends who are online/in-game when you first sign-in, instead you see notifications only for friends who change status after you sign-in
- Fixed Steam Video Player failing to load correctly when using non-latin characters in your Windows user name

Big Picture
- Big Picture ignores input from racing wheels and flight sticks including the Thrustmaster TX and HOTAS Warthog

Singleplayer game next. Kinda sad that it needs an AmA to get things done, but they took action and that counts. Good job!

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Cels, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Cels, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic -- MB-256D527BF0576C2D - Taken by Orgen. 5 entrants total.

t1485982541z1.png

Nzyme32

Singleplayer game next. Kinda sad that it needs an AmA to get things done, but they took action and that counts. Good job!

Yeah, absurdly annoying. Two other things I have wanted for many years now:

- move the Steam pop-up "Toast" when the mouse cursor is in the same position while in game
- Add tag / review / developer / publisher / purchase date / features searching within the Library of the client.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yeah, absurdly annoying. Two other things I have wanted for many years now:

My "want list" is too long to even mention

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
To add on what was said hardware has a lifespan. If you are pushing voltage that will get shorter.

Will you replace the hardware long before it dies anyway? Very likely.

Didn't try overclocking my CPU yet, but overclocking the GPU is super easy. Just download MSI Afterburner, run it while playing some demanding game and play with the core clock, vram and voltage sliders until you can see artifacts ingame. If you encounter them you gotta turn that specific slider a bit down again. Doubt you can fry your card with Afterburner. Keep in mind that your final values in one game can still be unstable in some other game. Overclocking is fiddling a lot with values until everything works perfectly in every game. People say that overclocking can shorten the lifespan of the hardware, eh whatever, NVIDIA only allows voltage increase to a certain value, I say it's pretty safe to do... Every card manufacturer on earth wouldn't supply you with their Overclocking Software if it would be that dangerous.

Overheating. If you were to do it and consistently have an overheated state regularly, you will likely reduce the life span of the component in question.

As far as Overclocking goes, it's pretty damn safe if you keep an eye on temperatures to see that it is doing well. Looking at my own machine, which is already a small form factor machine and thus much more susceptible to higher temperatures, I have a decent heat sink on my i5 6600k and moved it from 3.9ghz to 4.4ghz and the temperatures are well within reason under-load and at idle.

Similarly the GTX 1060 has been overclocked, but I didn't experiment much at all; about 150mhz oc to core and 500mhz oc to memory. No problem at all with temperatures. Just used games and the odd benchmark to make sure when stressed consistently the temps are good and the same when idle

If you don't know what you're doing, it's probably not something you should be messing around with. OC'ing isn't really going to get you the crazy speed you think it will.

That being said, it's not as hard or complicated as it used to be 17+ years ago, most motherboards have built in auto settings, that are pretty safe. Go that route if you are die hard about it.

I highly suggest you don't OC your GPU though, you are going to run into more problems than its worth. Unless you are running a refferance card, most manufacturers already overclock their cards to safe levels and anything past that can cause issues.I'm not saying it will for sure, but it gives you a higher risk of things happening that most people will blame on something else like the OS and not their overclock.

Again, I don't think OCing in this day really is that big of a deal and just because you are running a higher clock speed doesn't mean your PC will just up in performance all that much. Again, if you are dead set on it, read up and just try the auto oc on your motherboard, it's good enough as a starting point and take your time. Good luck dude!

Thanks for the responses. My PC atm sits at 30c idle, and about 75 at most depending on the game.

Realistically, how big an improvement could I see from Overclocking? Or is it not worth doing? I think my CPU is at 4.4ghz already if CPU-Z is to be believed (I bought pre-built)

Is there any way to add F2P games that have been removed? I have some items in my inventory for F2P games that are no longer available and I'd like to try and bind them to my account. I'm guessing I'm SOL.

Thanks for the responses. My PC atm sits at 30c idle, and about 75 at most depending on the game.

Realistically, how big an improvement could I see from Overclocking? Or is it not worth doing? I think my CPU is at 4.4ghz already if CPU-Z is to be believed (I bought pre-built)

If you bought pre-built and are already at 4.4ghz, then you are already overclocked.

C4rter

GabeN in action

1 FEBRUARY - ALFRED

General

Big Picture

That's awesome. But I didn't get a beta update yet.

Edit: Nevermind, found the option to check for updates manually

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom