• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Greenlight: 1000 games and counting, more Greenlit every few weeks

HoosTrax

Armada Online just got added:

637x358.resizedimage

Think someone posted a Kickstarter thread or something similar yesterday.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I have a feeling this whole Greenlight idea is going to crash and burn.

Frankly the dogshit to quality ratio is insane, and everyone is going to get sick of sifting through all this nonsense and the voting is going to vanish altogether.

That is a nice idea, why don't you put it on Greenlight. :p

Best game yet was World of Resources, with just a white picture and some text saying that it's an idea about a possbile game with resources and a world but I guess they removed it already.

Well, I will now that I'm back at my house and not on a train.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
No Taft, no buy.

Taft was... really not in shape to be fighting. Now, had you said Teddy Roosevelt (notorious for his boxing--in fact he was blinded in one eye due to a boxing injury sustained during the Presidency, a fact kept hidden from the public for a long time) I'd believe you.

HoosTrax

Taft was... really not in shape to be fighting. Now, had you said Teddy Roosevelt (notorious for his boxing--in fact he was blinded in one eye due to a boxing injury sustained during the Presidency, a fact kept hidden from the public for a long time) I'd believe you.
Except Teddy is in the game, sporting what looks like a Dovahkiin helm to boot.

Frankly the dogshit to quality ratio is insane, and everyone is going to get sick of sifting through all this nonsense and the voting is going to vanish altogether.

I don;t know if it will crash and burn. But yeah... digging through all the garbage to find the gems is a real pain. Now I know how Valves own submission team must feel...

The only two I have voted on are:

Project Giana

and

Oniken (I liked the demo for this one)

VALIS

Had the exact same thought after an hour of browsing and rating, Greenlight will likely be gone by this time next year. I'm sure they can and will add a lot of refinements to make it better, but if they don't find a way to better restrict the quality of submissions, this is never going to really work. It's like sifting through a dumpster to find a half eaten ham sandwich at this point.

Restrict it to games that are already out elsewhere or have working demos and a dedicated site. That'll cut out about 75% of the shit off the bat.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Except Teddy is in the game, sporting what looks like a Dovahkiin helm to boot.

Oh yes, there he is on the Character Select screen.

I'd love to see them deep dive through the annals of history; right now it's just five or six famous presidents, Obama, Mitt Romney, and Ron Paul.

Sciz

Frankly the dogshit to quality ratio is insane, and everyone is going to get sick of sifting through all this nonsense.

That's the entire point. Crowdsourcing the problem lets Valve's Steam team stop dealing with it personally.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I see some XBLA and PSN games on there. Why would they do that? Aren't they pretty much guaranteed to get approval anyway?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I see some XBLA and PSN games on there. Why would they do that? Aren't they pretty much guaranteed to get approval anyway?

I dunno about that. Mutant Mudds is one example of a game which showed up on the 3DS eShop as well as having decent reviews (80% metacritic), and still got rejected (they went to gog.com instead).

There's a whole bunch of games out there which I think have an audience despite being niche (point & click adventures, text adventures, retro-styled games, roguelikes). A lot of them are on desura, but obviously the developers would prefer to be on steam as well. It's too bad a lot of people reject these games immediately just because they're niche; then again, a lot of them do have terrible branding images, making people not even bother clicking on them (ex: Claustrophobia - terrible branding image, but decent looking roguelike).

Looks like Wizardry 8 was pulled. Voted for a few, but it really is overwhelming with all the crap. I'll just follow this thread and check out the ones other people specifically mention.

Because giving more control to consumers is a terrible idea. Yeah, Valve sucks. Just release everything on Steam, ya idiots!

You're kidding, right? Because I'm pretty sure he was saying Greenlight is a good idea...

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Looks like Wizardry 8 was pulled. Voted for a few, but it really is overwhelming with all the crap. I'll just follow this thread and check out the ones other people specifically mention.

Shame about Wizardry 8; but yeah, it did seem more like a wishlist submission.

Anyone play Loren Amazon Princess? Looks neat.

So I'm finding myself now voting for games that look complete/polished/original even if they aren't something I would play just because they look so good in comparison to some of the trash out there.

VALIS

So I'm finding myself now voting for games that look complete/polished/original even if they aren't something I would play just because they look so good in comparison to some of the trash out there.

Yup. I've developed two criteria before even considering an upvote:

1. Looks professional and looks like something that would have been released on Steam before Greenlight existed. No RPG maker. No half-assed 8-bit style. No sub-iphone, MS Paint looking shit.

2. Is already out, has a playable demo, or has a webpage which gives the strong feeling of a serious project that will be released with or without Steam.

After rating a couple hundred games I had to stop as it was getting depressing. This is really kind of a clusterfuck so far, but I assume some wrinkles will be ironed out.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
GOD DAMMIT. Never down-voting again, now I have spam games in my ranked list. Dammit Gabe!

Routine is up too now!

I 'hnnng'ed when I saw this. Awesome! Love the trailer, even if it has 3 seconds worth of gameplay.

Top Bottom