• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Greenlight: 1000 games and counting, more Greenlit every few weeks

I'm wondering how many of these will actually get on Steam. I've seen a few games with thousands of votes already and it still says they're at 0% necessary positive ratings. Seems like it's going to take a very long time for the ones who do make it to appear.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I'm wondering how many of these will actually get on Steam. I've seen a few games with thousands of votes already and it still says they're at 0% necessary positive ratings. Seems like it's going to take a very long time for the ones who do make it to appear.

They might just be waiting a little bit for the rankings - since the 30 games that went up almost immediately would have had a huge advantage

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I am going through the full list and up-voting games based on the following criteria:

- Is final or near-final or is commercially available elsewhere
- Is made by a team who have professionally released at least one product before
- Looks either novel in some way or polished in some way
- Would be likely to receive significant critical acclaim
- In a genre that Valve's employees seem to be unable to appreciate fully.

I voted for:
Mutant Mudds
McPixel
Gunman Clive
NEStalgia
Project Giana
DLC Quest
EvilQuest
Octodad 2
Oozi
Andodyne
Smooth Operators
Kairo
qrth-phyl
Towerclimb

Downvoted:
Elder Scrolls: Arena
Spelunky
(both fraudulent submissions)

I also left comments on maybe a dozen other games saying I'd consider voting for them if they were nearer to finished. I left this comment in the discussion forum thread on submitting early in development games:

I think people should submit unfinished games.

However, I also think the community has a right to be skeptical of early games. Many, most, really almost all independent games run into SIGNIFICANT development hurdles. Scope creep (LOL Black Mesa Source), perfectionism, project burnout, staff attrition, real life getting in the way. It happens. That's okay. But Greenlight isn't just about community feedback, it's also about community voting.

When you put a page up, you're asking the community to place a vote of confidence in you. You're asking for their trust. You're asking for their investment, intellectually and emotionally. And people have a right to put a price on that--the price is that you follow through in the end.

So for me, I'll only be upvoting games that are final, near-final, or by developers with a proven record of getting things done. I don't think that makes me a jerk. I think that's a very reasonable stance to have.

If the service ends up being most early alpha games that are nowhere near done, I'm going to spend a lot less time using the service. I mean, I'll still vote for the odd game that gets referred to me, but I'm not going to browse the service looking for stuff to vote for if most of what I find is unsuitable.

Just another user's feedback. Cheers.

Twinduct

Holy crap, feeling pretty bad for the greenlight team. It's like every page has like two fraud/ false entries heh.

Hell if project greenlight fails, move the team over to support valve!

VandalD

I upvoted Immortal Defense, Towns, Secrets of Grindea, EvilQuest, Hoodwink series, Project Giana, Syder Arcade, 8BitMMO, and Forge. I just got around to trying out Gunman Clive from the Greenlight Bundle, and that plays perfectly, so upvoted that too. Don't really have a strict set of criteria for upvoting. If a game looks like I'd like to at least try it, and it's in a genre I tend to like, I'll give it a vote. Downvoting is unnecessary, in my opinion. If you don't want it, don't upvote it.

Considering I'd only heard of Towns and Immortal Defense before, that's a lot of games to potentially look forward to, and I'm sure there are many more incoming.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92915716&searchtext=

637x358.resizedimage

637x358.resizedimage

637x358.resizedimage

637x358.resizedimage

637x358.resizedimage

Miasmata is like a dream come true! First Person survival adventure game on an island and you're a plague-stricken scientist who needs to find a cure. Think if Far Cry wasn't a shooter. Day/night cycle, go find herbs and shit. Has some survival horror elements too with some cat creature that will try to kill you from time to time.

JUST WATCH THE VIDEO AND BE MESMERISED!

About the Game:

Miasmata is a first-person adventure game, with elements of survival-horror. You play as Robert Hughes, a plague-stricken scientist on a journey to discover a cure. Your adventure begins on the shores of a remote island called Eden. Long ago, Eden was inhabited by a group of indigenous people, whose extant monuments still decorate the island landscape.

Eden is now home to a scientific research outpost, and it is your hope to reunite with your colleagues working there. Unfortunately, you'll soon discover that something has gone terribly wrong.

The Gameplay:

Miasmata is a game of survival, exploration and discovery. Our goal was to create gameplay that challenged convention. We wanted an immersive experience that gives the player the freedom to discover the world at his/her own pace and in his own way.

During his adventure, the player will encounter a mysterious and deadly creature. This creature can stalk the player for miles, lurking behind grasses and vegetative cover. By treading carefully and quietly, the player may be able to elude the creature. If he's careless, however, the player will be forced to confront the creature head-on.

The island of Eden is filled with dozens of plants and fungi, many of which have unique medicinal properties. Some of these plants hold the secret to curing the plague, so the player must harvest them and run lab experiments to determine their worth.

Exploration is a key component to Miasmata, so we developed an interesting cartography system. The player can use landmarks, such as ruins and statues, to triangulate his location and construct a map of Eden's boundaries and contours.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I wonder if they'll ever have a "suggested price" listing for the developers. I'd hate to vote on some 99 cent cell phone game and have it be released on Steam for 10 dollars.

I absolutely agree.

DLC Quest is a great little game, but it's 30 minutes long. $1.00 - $3.00 is a fair price. Having that field in the description would take away my last nagging doubt at being willing to upvote it.

I actually wish there were more wrestling games out there that aren't based on real life people. Something like Saturday Night Slam Masters.

inm8num2

With no discernible sorting options, looks like games will have to rely on word of mouth and exposure on other sites like reddit and neogaf to gain votes.

Wok

By the way do we have a vote limit or can we up/down vote every game submitted?

Yes. Last time I checked, there were about 180 games, but Steam won't allow me to vote on all of them today.

Edit: Okay 300 games, and I can vote now.

zulux21

I absolutely agree.

DLC Quest is a great little game, but it's 30 minutes long. $1.00 - $3.00 is a fair price. Having that field in the description would take away my last nagging doubt at being willing to upvote it.

I would imagine that DLC quest would be priced at $1.99 like it is on Desura. In general I would expect them to be priced like they are on Desura if they are already on there (and a number of the ones that are ready to release are indeed already on Desura)

In general though yeah, a price would be nice, but at the same time it's Steam... worst case we just have to wait for a sale to get the price we want.

I more wish though that it would mark the pages you have looked at in some way. Since I looked at greenlight 2 hours ago there is already 71 more games, I wouldn't be surprised at all if there was over 1k games by the end of sept to go through... some way to keep track of what i already looked at while just browsing through is a must if they want me to continue to vote on games... I mean I can get a list of what I already voted on but that hardly does me any good when I am browsing in general :/

Omikaru

I bet whoever posted this one thinks they're really funny (warning, 'tis racist).

I hope once the novelty has worn off for these boneheads, they'll stop posting this stuff. It makes me not want to trawl through the ever-growing list of games coming to Greenlight.

Top Bottom