• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Halloween Sale (VTM Bloodlines $5, Dead Space 2 $10, Amnesia $4, many more)

Minamu

MidgarBlowedUp said:
Patching bloodlines is kind of a pain as the tutorials are lacking, old, or incorrect.

From what I understand...thanks to DarkByke and Wesp5

1) Run Steam as Administrator.
2) Start the game once.
3) Quit the game or let it crash.
4) Disable "Steam Community In Game" and "Automatic Update" inside Steam for Bloodlines.
5) Install Wesp5 7.6b unofficial patch without the + option.
6) With a standard STEAM install run the patch and when the option comes up go to the "C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\vampire the masquerade - bloodlines" to patch the "engine.dll" file.
7) Right click vampire.exe and change properties to "run as admin", and "run in compatibility for Windows XP SP3", and check "disable visual themes" and "disable desktop composition".

8)Otional) there should be a new directory under "C:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Vampire - Bloodlines\Extras" inside here look for "Respatch.exe" and run it as Administrator. When it runs it's looking for a file to edit and that file should be in the same location that "engine.dll" was in in step 6. Patch It and Quit It and pray it works.
I barely had to do any of that stuff on Win 7 :S I got the latest 7.8 patch, was that wrong? I just booted the game once, got the ram error, installed patch and started playing. The installer asked me if I wanted to change resolutions and that didn't take very long. Seems to work so far, but I haven't beaten the tutorial yet. Should I redo it?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Minamu said:
I barely had to do any of that stuff on Win 7 :S I got the latest 7.8 patch, was that wrong? I just booted the game once, got the ram error, installed patch and started playing. The installer asked me if I wanted to change resolutions and that didn't take very long. Seems to work so far, but I haven't beaten the tutorial yet. Should I redo it?

Nope, you're all set. The only thing you might want to consider is forcing some AA through your drivers, since vanilla Bloodlines is full of jaggies.

Yuripaw

Banned
I've already purchased the 4 pack. Still havent heard from sour_cream, so I still have the one extra available if anyone wants to buy bioshock 2 for $3.75. Send me a PM if interested.

Tried the demo of Zombie Shooter 2. This is actually a great game! Deciding on whether to pick this up or wait for a sale on the shooter pack. Tried the Alien shooters also, and these are all really great and fun games.

Minamu

Snuggler said:
Nope, you're all set. The only thing you might want to consider is forcing some AA through your drivers, since vanilla Bloodlines is full of jaggies.
Thanks ^^ How do I do that with an ATI card again?

Chavelo

My loot:

Amnesia: Dark Descent (GIFT)
Devil May Cry 4
Dead Space Pack
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl
Ghostbusters
Nation Red
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Used my stash of refined metal for most of it. Only spent about 8 dollars on paypal (that I had from trading keys for cash).

Team Fortress 2: AWWWWW YEEEEEEAAAAHHHHH.jpg

So proud of myself, only picked up Ghostbusters. Was going to get Dead Space but I'd rather play it on 360.

Had to show restraint since I picked up the GTA pack last week, knowing full well that I'll never play any of them. I hate Steam.

Scythian

Alright, is Dracula Origin any good? Been reading about it and it looks like an enjoyable adventure game with good story.

Paprikka

Ended up getting the Cthulhu twin pack, Penumbra bundle, and Bloodlines since it seems so well liked. Was thinking of getting Bioshock 1 & 2 but I already have a slew of games to play so I figure I'll just pick them up when they inevitably go on sale again near Christmas.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I can't. I just paid for the humble bundle with a few cents and I feel dirty. ㅠㅠ

...maybe I should embrace the evil persona and play Bloodlines.

Erebus

Halloween sale ends on November 1, right?

mikespit1200 said:
RE5 a good buy? Seems like Capcom hardly ever goes below 50% off. I did love RE4 though...
If you intend to play through the game in co-op with a friend, by all means buy it. It's an amazing experience in my opinion.

mikespit1200 said:
RE5 a good buy? Seems like Capcom hardly ever goes below 50% off. I did love RE4 though...

If you play alone, it's two steps back from RE4 all the way.

If you have a friend a play Co-op, it's pretty fun.

Yuripaw

Banned
Before the sale ends, I'm still considering some last minute purchases, but undecided. Are the Overlord games cool? I've heard off playing them for years. $4.99 seems like a good deal for both. I feel so uninformed about a game unless it has a GB quick look, heh.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Yuripaw said:
Before the sale ends, I'm still considering some last minute purchases, but undecided. Are the Overlord games cool? I've heard off playing them for years. $4.99 seems like a good deal for both. I feel so uninformed about a game unless it has a GB quick look, heh.
Overlord is a pretty cool series. I would say you only need to buy Overlord II though.

dimb

Yuripaw said:
Really? Why's that? Why only the second one?
It just makes the first superfluous. It's a better game in ever respect and follows a very similar structure.

Yuripaw

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
It just makes the first superfluous. It's a better game in ever respect and follows a very similar structure.
How long would say each game is? I always thought Overlord 2 didn't seem as well received, was that just cuz it was so similar to the first?

dimb

Yuripaw said:
How long would say each game is? I always thought Overlord 2 didn't seem as well received, was that just cuz it was so similar to the first?
It's maybe eight or ten hours for Overlord 2, think the original is somewhere in the same ballpark.

I dunno about the reception to them, but the metacritic on the PC version is pretty much the same for both versions.

FGMPR

Banned
I ended up with:

Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper
Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened
FEAR Collection
Dracula Origin
Costume Quest
Painkiller: Overdose

Pretty decent haul but fuck knows when I'll get to play them with the way things are now (too many games).

SmokyDave

I wasn't going to buy anything so naturally I ended up with...

Dead Space Pack.
Painkiller Pack.
F.E.A.R Pack.
Trains Vs Zombies.
Costume Quest.
Amnesia.
Ghostbusters.
Zombie Shooter.

I'm powerless to resist Steam sales. Already saving for Xmas.

SmokyDave said:
I wasn't going to buy anything so naturally I ended up with...

Dead Space Pack.
Painkiller Pack.
F.E.A.R Pack.
Trains Vs Zombies.
Costume Quest.
Amnesia.
Ghostbusters.
Zombie Shooter.

I'm powerless to resist Steam sales. Already saving for Xmas.
Now you just need the Penumbra collection!

SmokyDave

Spectacular Dr Dawg said:
Now you just need the Penumbra collection!
I already have it. I don't know when, how or why I bought it. Most of my Steam library just 'appears' after heavy drinking sessions. I only realised I had bought it when I tried to buy it again.

Top Bottom