• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam hits 12 million concurrent users.

ViciousDS

Banned
1080p? Is this 2009?

swtmvsx.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/211420/

Nah.....it's 2016. Until media outside gaming goes above 1080p I have no reason to spend a ton of money upgrading my monitor and computer for a minimal experience increase

Grief.exe

Nah.....it's 2015. Until media outside gaming goes above 1080p I have no reason to spend a ton of money upgrading my monitor and computer for a minimal experience increase

Don't need to upgrade your monitor to enjoy visual increases past 1080p.

There are relatively cheap monitors that are above 1080p though, don't need to spring for the premium monitor industry that seems to be exploding right now.

AlucardGV

Banned
Impressive, go Gaben! Even more so because game consoles are also doing very well so Steam doesn't seem to have taken a hit from the new generation of hardware. It used to be that PC gaming would diminish in popularity during the first few years of a console generation as gamers flocked to shiny new hardware. This doesn't seem to have happened at all this time so I wonder how much more popular Steam will become once gamers grow tired of the PS4 and the Xbone.

those people will probably move to ps5 and xbox two

ViciousDS

Banned
Don't need to upgrade your monitor to enjoy visual increases past 1080p.

No thanks, not into down scaling( whatever it's called......its not down scaling). I enjoy my 1080p fully maxed games perfectly fine. Hell according to steam stats most don't even hit that.

viHuGi

Banned
You left off Nintendo, which was the real powerhouse last gen. The fact that 3 healthy platforms turned into 2 helps my point.

Believe me, Wii users aren't playing Pc, most likely they moved to Kinect and now Mobile /Tablet.

Family console, people that clearly dont care about Steam or Core gaming.

As I said the real threat is mobile, it shows on 3DS and Vita sales.

viHuGi

Banned
League is a beast, most people I know on ps4 also play League and on Xbox so you can see how big it is, everyone Playa it.

Grief.exe

There's also this to consider.

SyeAso9.png

PC gaming is healthy and well.

Always good to remind people of this, the PC audience is so diverse and spread out. Steam just presents one of the larger aggregate audiences and one of the most open-ended systems (Steamdb, concurrent user counts, SteamSpy) that we can look into.

No thanks, not into down scaling( whatever it's called......its not down scaling). I enjoy my 1080p fully maxed games perfectly fine. Hell according to steam stats most don't even hit that.

What about games where you are only using 20 or 30 percent of your GPU usage and would like to measurably increase image quality?

League is a beast, most people I know on ps4 also play League and on Xbox so you can see how big it is, everyone Playa it.

Anecdotal discussions are completely pointless.

orochi91

Same.

Most of my buddies who own consoles are into LoL as well.

I tried getting into DOTA recently though, but god damn that game is hard to be good at, lol

Need to git gud.

ViciousDS

Banned
What about games where you are only using 20 or 30 percent of your GPU usage and would like to measurably increase image quality?

Doesn't bother me.....I only play mmorpgs and when I do play other games I end up fiddling with the settings to much where I'm tinkering with a game more than......just playing it like I'm supposed to. Resokution, visuals have no effect......I don't go crazy and call ok looking games the ugliest thing of all time. I own all 3 consoles as well, image quality.....I could give two shits about it most of the time as long as it looks halfway decent. I don't need to push my PC to its limits to feel like I'm not getting the most out of it.

Grief.exe

Doesn't bother me.....I only play mmorpgs and when I do play other games I end up fiddling with the settings to much where I'm tinkering with a game more than......just playing it like I'm supposed to. Resolution, visuals have no effect......I don't go crazy and call ok looking games the ugliest thing of all time. I own all 3 consoles as well, image quality.....I could give two shits about it most of the time as long as it looks halfway decent.

Probably would have been better just to lead with that information so we don't have a pointless discussion that ends in a difference of opinion no matter what we say.

ViciousDS

Banned
Probably would have been better just to lead with that information so we don't have a pointless discussion that ends in a difference of opinion no matter what we say.

Hahaha.....I'll upgrade eventually. If I were to jump to another monitor what would it be? I love my IPS panel way to much to move on unless.....it's another IPS panel.

orochi91

Try this https://www.dotabuff.com/learn/lol to see some heroes that you could enjoy.
Also this guide https://purgegamers.true.io/g/dota-2-guide/

The game is immensely rewarding after you understand what's happening with it.

Cheers! These resources are much appreciated.

I'm trying to get into MOBAs because I'm the only one in my group of friends that hasn't really played one yet.

Resokution, visuals have no effect......I don't go crazy and call ok looking games the ugliest thing of all time. I own all 3 consoles as well, image quality.....I could give two shits about it most of the time as long as it looks halfway decent.

+1

Agreed.

Grief.exe

Hahaha.....I'll upgrade eventually. If I were to jump to another monitor what would it be? I love my IPS panel way to much to move on unless.....it's another IPS panel.

The modern alternative are these VA panels which are under the IPS family, but actually have very good display lag.

These high-end monitors are going from like 10-15ms of lag in previous IPS panels to 2-3 ms of total lag. For reference, TVs generally have between 20-40ms of total lag, then add in the additional lag associated with 30 FPS typically associated with console games.

If you are truly fine with 1080p, then I would suggest waiting until OLED or 4K becomes more prevalent and cheaper.

Sblargh

Banned
My GTX 780 (released early 2013; I have it since 2014 I believe) still plays everything I own at maximum setting, tho looking at my list, I guess my most demanding game is Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin.

Edit: Oh, wait, nevermind, I own Witcher 3, which I suppose it is more demanding than DS2, and I run it at max everything and never had a problem. And when I say max everything is without third party softwares; at 1080p. I'm just used at this point to get into options, get everything on Ultra and just play. Still waiting for the game that will break me.

ViciousDS

Banned
The modern alternative are these VA panels which are under the IPS family, but actually have very good display lag.

These high-end monitors are going from like 10-15ms of lag in previous IPS panels to 2-3 ms of total lag. For reference, TVs generally have between 20-40ms of total lag, then add in the additional lag associated with 30 FPS typically associated with console games.

If you are truly fine with 1080p, then I would suggest waiting until OLED or 4K becomes more prevalent and cheaper.

The vita sold me on oled displays .....absolutely beautiful.

My ips panel overal display though 9ms from the time of any action to display. Its still number 2 I think on displaylags list until these new displays. The MX279h

Grief.exe

The vita sold me on oled displays .....absolutely beautiful.

My ips panel overal display though 9ms from the time of any action to display. Its still number 2 I think on displaylags list until these new displays. The MX279h

Was that advertised by them?

They only advertise g2g, and not processing time which can add a lot of lag. If you look at that site I linked, many of those IPS monitors are in the 15-25 range after adding in image processing.

Demise

Nah.....it's 2016. Until media outside gaming goes above 1080p I have no reason to spend a ton of money upgrading my monitor and computer for a minimal experience increase

And you're perfectly right. Playing anything above 1080p would require to upgrade almost everything (ram, GPU and probably CPU too) and you're not guaranteed to obtain stable fps on AAA recent games. You'd probably need to buy a G-sync panel too, wich is even more expansive. Staying on 1080p is perfectly fine nowaday, we'll discuss it further when the next generation of GPU hit the stores.

Flandy

Speaking of downsampling is there any way to prevent steam overlay from becoming tiny while using DSR? Big Picture mode isn't tiny but it's terribly slow for me when I'm playing at 4k

ViciousDS

Banned
Was that advertised by them?

They only advertise g2g, and not processing time which can add a lot of lag. If you look at that site I linked, many of those IPS monitors are in the 15-25 range after adding in image processing.

No display lag has my monitor at 9ms

That's from me hitting a button to what you see coming out. That's after all processing

Tft is uk.....you would have to find the equivalent model to your country.

Either way.....I have my eyes on that one you linked earlier :)

Fantastic numbers! Between this, the phenomenal success of the PS4, and mobile making games more mainstream than ever, this is truly a new golden age for gaming.

Concept17

HL3 may be sorely missing, but looking at these numbers, there's a little game called L4D2 that came out over 6 years ago that needs a sequel/GO/F2P release.

Truant

Source?

I seriously doubt 12 million people can afford these $1000 PCs you need to run Steam, let alone have the degree in engineering required to assemble them.

I have a supercharged PC in my living room, it's $399 and called a PS4, thank you very much.

Source?

I seriously doubt 12 million people can afford these $1000 PCs you need to run Steam, let alone have the degree in engineering required to assemble them.

I have a supercharged PC in my living room, it's $399 and called a PS4, thank you very much.

Can't wait to see who falls for this one.

Grinchy

Banned
Steam is just killing it lately. And I'm shocked by the Rocket League numbers.

40K?? I feel like half the concurrent playerbase is on PC if that's the case. Which is strange, since there are so many more PS4 players.

Maxximo

Steam is just killing it lately. And I'm shocked by the Rocket League numbers.

40K?? I feel like half the concurrent playerbase is on PC if that's the case. Which is strange, since there are so many more PS4 players.

More like cause it was free on ps4.

Momentary

Banned
And you're perfectly right. Playing anything above 1080p would require to upgrade almost everything (ram, GPU and probably CPU too) and you're not guaranteed to obtain stable fps on AAA recent games. You'd probably need to buy a G-sync panel too, wich is even more expansive. Staying on 1080p is perfectly fine nowaday, we'll discuss it further when the next generation of GPU hit the stores.

Are you from 2010. I game at 1440p on a LAPTOP... sometimes at 4k with games like Zestiria and Guilty Gear Xrd and still get 60fps.

najehe

Banned
I see a lot of people here getting a bit too excited about the rising numbers. I don't really think it is indicative of the PC market gaining in leaps and bounds. I think it is more that it has become like Wal-Mart in a small town. Sure, you could go somewhere else in town for an item, but all likelihood you will go to Wal-Mart for most of your shopping needs since it contains most of the things you need/want. I think this is mostly a sign of further consolidation in the PC market.

Nev

Banned
Good. Nice to see the best online gaming platform doing better each day. More and more people are realizing how insulting it is that Sony and Microsoft charge for their garbage restricted and barebones P2P counterparts I guess.

Now if we add the Lol and Blizzard playerbase we have the biggest, most consistent and relevant communities in online gaming ever. PC is dead confirmed!

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I see a lot of people here getting a bit too excited about the rising numbers. I don't really think it is indicative of the PC market gaining in leaps and bounds. I think it is more that it has become like Wal-Mart in a small town. Sure, you could go somewhere else in town for an item, but all likelihood you will go to Wal-Mart for most of your shopping needs since it contains most of the things you need/want. I think this is mostly a sign of further consolidation in the PC market.

Witcher 3 sold more than half of its copies on PC via GoG so I guess you're wrong?

Same with the numbers for LoL, blizzard games or other things which isn't on steam.
It's not like some dude was noDRM only all of the sudden decides to fuck all that let's go steam because they have my stuff.

kabel

Witcher 3 sold more than half of its copies on PC via GoG so I guess you're wrong?

Same with the numbers for LoL, blizzard games or other things which isn't on steam.
It's not like some dude was noDRM only all of the sudden decides fuck that let's go steam because they have my stuff.

Also browsergames. So many play browsergames and spent a ton of money there.

Source?

I'm not falling for this tasty bait

Top Bottom