• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam hits 12 million concurrent users.

Sblargh

Banned
Theory time: Is it possible that Valve is not working on HL3 because CS:GO is so strong and they don't want to divide the userbase by introducing a new shooter engine?

Qassim

I wish there was a stat that showed some sort of measurement on the performance of the PCs of these 12 million. I'm not trying to make a point here but I bet most of them are playing at med-low settings.

They probably are. The most popular PC games aren't AAA multiplatform games for the most part, they're exclusive PC games that have a low baseline hardware requirement and don't scale that high.

Theory time: Is it possible that Valve is not working on HL3 because CS:GO is so strong and they don't want to divide the userbase by introducing a new shooter engine?

No. Even if they included competitive multiplayer modes in HL3, it'd be a totally different type of game which doesn't really compete with CS. Counter-Strike has survived for 15 years on just three main releases because there has yet to be any real replacement for it. I'm sure another Valve competitive shooter would hurt CSGO's numbers a little, but not to any degree that would warrant Valve avoiding working on a single player sequel to Half-Life.

jmga

They don't seem to be worried about that, they already are introducing competitive matchmaking to TF2.

They probably are. The most popular PC games aren't AAA multiplatform games for the most part, they're exclusive PC games that have a low baseline hardware requirement and don't scale that high.
I agree. I bet a lot of people when they think of PC gaming they think it's the high end graphics cards and AAA games and FPS and pixelz and whatever other words are associated with that but the reality is (and again this is my speculation) the vast majority are people playing on their laptops or shitty PCs on med or low settings. Playing what they can for the cheap prices they got the game.

Knowing that, would you say that is "PC Gaming"? Is there only one kind of PC gaming. Is the kind I'm describing sustainable? Etc... I'm not saying it's not I'm just saying it's interesting to think about.

belmonkey

I wish there was a stat that showed some sort of measurement on the performance of the PCs of these 12 million. I'm not trying to make a point here but I bet most of them are playing at med-low settings.

I can't see the current data, but last month apparently 4% of people had GTX 970s, and I think usually ~15% of people have PS4-level GPUs or better.

I believe they have something new in mind and will use it to push what they have planned ahead like they did with Steam from the start. Steam started out rough and terrible but hey, you had to play HL source on it.

Qassim

I agree. I bet a lot of people when they think of PC gaming they think it's the high end graphics cards and AAA games and FPS and pixelz and whatever other words are associated with that but the reality is (and again this is my speculation) the vast majority are people playing on their laptops or shitty PCs on med or low settings. Playing what they can for the cheap prices they got the game.

Knowing that, would you say that is "PC Gaming"? Is there only one kind of PC gaming. Is the kind I'm describing sustainable? Etc... I'm not saying it's not I'm just saying it's interesting to think about.

I don't think there is. A big part of the growth and exposure of PC gaming in recent years is that more people are playing these AAA games on their PCs again. It's important to not let the gigantic numbers of those huge PC games like LoL and DOTA2 overshadow this new growth in mid to high end PC range, there is a reason why we see more of those console publishers returning to PC, putting their PC releases out with the console versions - because it's big enough to be an important market for them and that's thanks to that growth.

I'd say "PC gaming" is more diverse than ever, it caters for those people playing on low end systems and laptops with lots and lots of great games, but there is also a large and growing market for the mid - to - high end AAA games.

It's also important to remember that as the consoles age, cheaper and cheaper PC hardware is able to surpass the console equivalent settings of games. That's what helps the sustainability of that side of the market.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

It's not a new thing and it has sustained so far.
According to the steam surveys almost half PCs are around or above console hardware.

Knowing that, would you say that is "PC Gaming"? Is there only one kind of PC gaming. Is the kind I'm describing sustainable? Etc... I'm not saying it's not I'm just saying it's
interesting to think about.

Of course it's sustainable. As people's computers become more powerful naturally, they can play more games without buying dedicated hardware (consoles). In this day and age it's about all-in-one devices. That's why you see the rise of pc gaming and mobile numbers. It goes hand-in-hand with the overall shrinking of the dedicated console and handheld market.

Of course it's sustainable. As people's computers become more powerful naturally, they can play more games without buying dedicated hardware (consoles). In this day and age it's about all-in-one devices. That's why you see the rise of pc gaming and mobile numbers. It goes hand-in-hand with the overall shrinking of the dedicated console and handheld market.
I just mean from a AAA perspective when I ask if it's sustainable because like I said most of the PCs playing the games are probably not very good and most of the games being played were probably purchased maaaad cheap on some big sales or something.

Just guessing. There's no doubt it's sustainable from a non-AAA perspective. It's no different to an app store to me, just with better games and whatnot.

Qassim

I just mean from a AAA perspective when I ask if it's sustainable because like I said most of the PCs playing the games are probably not very good and most of the games being played were probably purchased maaaad cheap on some big sales or something.

Just guessing. There's no doubt it's sustainable from a non-AAA perspective. It's no different to an app store to me, just with better games and whatnot.

I think at this point it's safe to say it is sustainable, it has been going on for what, 6-7 years now and still growing. It'd be a reasonable argument back when PC gaming was apparently 'dying' in 2005-2007 and it was showing signs of picking back up (when in reality, it was just that AAA segment of the market that was being referred to as 'dying'), but we're in a VASTLY different market to then.

AAA games are released more consistently on PC now, than ever before. They sell millions of copies. These questions you have are based on your gut and hunches while actual hard data exists to refute you guesses. AAA big publisher releases typically sell more on console, no doubt but PC sells more than enough to justify the dev time investment.

The rate of growth for Steam continues to impress.

Where is that thread on pc needs to learn from consoles to save pc gaming? This is just steam...not origin...not people just playing games they bought...not warcraft, lol...whatever.

This is people logged in, what does that mean? Do they have numbers that shows how many games are being played actively or is the steam app just open?

They do. It's in the OP.

They also use to show how many people were in-game (any game) total. Guess not anymore.

Amazing numbers, Gaming is bigger than ever in every single platform wich is amazing to see.

Except not really :p

viHuGi

Banned

Handheld shrinked because of Mobile, pc ain't doing anything to Console business, XBox and Playstation are stronger than ever.

Now Mobile is a real threat, handheld market is in danger.

I think at this point it's safe to say it is sustainable, it has been going on for what, 6-7 years now and still growing. It'd be a reasonable argument back when PC gaming was apparently 'dying' in 2005-2007 and it was showing signs of picking back up (when in reality, it was just that AAA segment of the market that was being referred to as 'dying').

AAA games are released more consistently on PC than ever before. The sell millions of copies. These questions you have are based on your gut and hunches while actual hard data exists to refute you guesses.
PC gaming is attached to the PC industry to me and the PC industry has been trending downward in general the last little while.

Though I'm sure eventually steam will come to mobile devices and whatnot...

Good point, I would say that is entirely up to how long each console cycle is. PC gained a lot of high-end momentum at the end of last generation because of how long the cycle lasted.

High-end pc seems to be in an even better position this generation because of how underpowered these consoles are. Integrated graphics even has a shot to possibly catch up to PS4 this time around.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
PC gaming is attached to the PC industry to me and the PC industry has been trending downward in general the last little while.

What makes you say that?

There was a pretty big dicussion in the steamspy ToZ sales thread yesterday about the difference in revenue from digital vs. physical and there was some pretty goo posts decribing how much devs/pubs really earn from physical releases compared to digital where they get a guaranteed 70%

Impressive, go Gaben! Even more so because game consoles are also doing very well so Steam doesn't seem to have taken a hit from the new generation of hardware. It used to be that PC gaming would diminish in popularity during the first few years of a console generation as gamers flocked to shiny new hardware. This doesn't seem to have happened at all this time so I wonder how much more popular Steam will become once gamers grow tired of the PS4 and the Xbone.

Handheld shrinked because of Mobile, pc ain't doing anything to Console business, XBox and Playstation are stronger than ever.

Now Mobile is a real threat, handheld market is in danger.

You left off Nintendo, which was the real powerhouse last gen. The fact that 3 healthy platforms turned into 2 helps my point.

What makes you say that?
PCs have just been selling less and less every year the last while. I think the last IDC numbers had it at a 5% drop YoY. Don't get me wrong it's still a shitton of PCs being sold (we're talking 100s of millions) but it's something to consider I guess.

Everybody is on a PC cycle like mentioned above. The amount of people dropping their PCs will only rise as time goes on, probably at a faster rate each and every year. I think IDC actually increased their forecast froma 3% drop to 5% for the year. I don't see that trend stopping any time soon.

Even me who has a PC that I built and have upgraded myself multiple times a year, I honestly think this will be my last time ever doing it. I'll probably get a laptop next and then eventually by the time that cycle is over everyone will have moved to mobile. Plenty of years out but if I'm at that point I imagine most people are well beyond it.

Lingitiz

Some of the top bought PC games of the year are Witcher 3, GTAV, Ark, Rocket League, and Dying Light. You're not going to be playing those on a toaster.

A lot of different people play PC games, from those that only play LoL, DOTA2, CSGO, or any other MMO, to those that have great hardware and get the most out of it. I would say that's no different from the person who buys only NBA2k and COD every year and nothing else on the consoles. The kind of user that doesn't even realize the Playstation store exists. There are casual users and power users.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
PCs have just been selling less and less every year the last while. I think the last IDC numbers had it at a 5% drop YoY. Don't get me wrong it's still a shitton of PCs being sold (we're talking 100s of millions) but it's something to consider I guess.

Everybody is on a PC cycle like mentioned above. The amount of people dropping their PCs will only rise as time goes on, probably at a faster rate each and every year. I think IDC actually increased their forecast froma 3% drop to 5% for the year. I don't see that trend stopping any time soon.

Anything prebuilt is dying faster than ever and that's not even weird.
And PC hardware is harder to equate as new PCs of course so steam numbers would be one of the better ways of measuring an installbase of PC gamers.

jmga

Even me who has a PC that I built and have upgraded myself multiple times a year, I honestly think this will be my last time ever doing it. I'll probably get a laptop next and then eventually by the time that cycle is over everyone will have moved to mobile. Plenty of years out but if I'm at that point I imagine most people are well beyond it.
PC overall sales are dropping over the years. Gaming PCs and gaming components are selling more and more.

Just take a look at NVIDIA last year finantial results.

Steel

Banned
Where is that thread on pc needs to learn from consoles to save pc gaming? This is just steam...not origin...not people just playing games they bought...not warcraft, lol...whatever.

This is people logged in, what does that mean? Do they have numbers that shows how many games are being played actively or is the steam app just open?

*Sigh* You realize that thread you're citing was a troll thread? If not, congratulations, you fell for it.

Look, you yourself just said we're talking tons of PCs. The number of those PCs that are gaming class has been going up every year. And why the hell would you upgrade a PC multiple times a year, anyway?

DMTripper

didn't realise arma 3 had 40k concurrents. mental. what's the most fun way to play it?

I really enjoy king of the hill. Framerates can get a bit tough tho, for me anyway!

Wasteland is also fun although it misses a end game.

And then you have all the milsim servers that are fun, but you need right mods and ideally need to be in a clan.

Grief.exe

OXMjF6R.gif

When you are discussing PC numbers, don't look at boxed sales which are getting heavily eroded by tablets and smartphones.

Enthusiast hardware sales have massively increased over the past decade, and look to continue to do so. Steam 'active account' numbers and concurrent user records continue to be broken. These are relevant statistics.

The "but AAA games cannot be played on toasters" argument is absolutely nuts. There's a huge audience for games that don't need high end rigs to play and there's a constant stream of new games that don't require high end rigs. When people upgrade their toasters to toasters of 2017, they suddenly notice thousands and thousands of older games that they couldn't play on their old toaster.

I am betting that many, MANY companies have a rather healthy cash flow coming in just from having the old catalogue available. PC games don't expire*. Old games don't go away when new ones launch. Some of the most popular games are 5 to 10 years old. I bought a bundle made of games released in early 90's just a few weeks ago and I have a rather high end rig.

* Well MMO's do or there are DRM's that cannot be gotten around, but that's up to the game maker to decide.

The "but AAA games cannot be played on toasters" argument is absolutely nuts. There's a huge audience for games that don't need high end rigs to play and there's a constant stream of new games that don't require high end rigs. When people upgrade their toasters to toasters of 2017, they suddenly notice thousands and thousands of older games that they couldn't play on their old toaster.

I am betting that many, MANY companies have a rather healthy cash flow coming in just from having the old catalogue available. PC games don't expire. Old games don't go away when new ones launch. Some of the most popular games are 5 to 10 years old. I bought a bundle made of games released in early 90's just a few weeks ago and I have a rather high end rig.

This is all true but more and more people buy current AAA games as well. So what does that tell us?

pa22word

Considering an i3 and 750ti have went toe to toe if not beating the ps4 in head to head comparisons I fail to see what this would be indicative of :p

This is all true but more and more people buy current AAA games as well. So what does that tell us?

People like video games on their Personal Computers because PC gaming is more accessible than ever?

How many of those are dummy CS:Go accounts for hacking

7 million for sure. There are hackers everywhere in that game. That one guy just shot me to the head like within one millisecond. R-e-p-o-r-t-e-d

xenist

something, something, russian bots stealing your personal details from the cache.

This kind of growth feels crazy.

Top Bottom