• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm getting everyone's votes tallied for the GOTY voting at least what's been sent in so far. There have been a lot of votes cast already from over 30 of you. Last year we had 184 participants total, so hopefully we can top that this year!

Also, don't forget about your DLC and Early Access nominations if you'd like to participate in those votes. A lot of people are leaving those off (over half so far have just been GOTY votes only) which is fine because they're optional categories, but I just wanted to mention it in case anyone just flat out forgot.

There are already a ton of games that have been put up for nomination, a really wide variety this year. Keep it up guys!

If I'm interpreting Christine Love's recent Twitter posts correctly, it seems like Ladykiller in a Bind will be out on Steam soon as well.

Kinda surprised it passes muster with Steam's content rules, but I guess that's good news. (Insert Bueno Excellente image here.)

donny2112

New thread! Really liking Steam Link. Have to use wired connection, which is annoying to have a long ethernet cord running from office to TV, but when it's working, it's great! Good to get out of the office to play some Steam games. (^_^)

Y'all know there's an alternate history WW1 RTS being made, right?
ywX6o3op
fOWwBUOd
If it's even half as epic as the art
392dLmH.png

Vamlock

Anyone have any idea why Enhanced Steam doesnt' want to show historical pricing and bundle history on game pages anymore? It works for my wishlist.

Y'all know there's an alternate history WW1 RTS being made, right?

If it's even half as epic as the art
392dLmH.png

Is that really the art promoted for it? Because it looks like it comes from the Scythe board game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Anyone have any idea why Enhanced Steam doesnt' want to show historical pricing and bundle history on game pages anymore? It works for my wishlist.

It should and does for me -- when it fails do you get a red light near the top of the page? if so, mouse over and check the error. It's normally an issue with the IsThereAnyDeal server.

Miletius

Happy New Year Steam GAF. My Steam GOTY list will probably just be my top 5 GOTY list pretty much unedited. There isn't much else being played besides STEAM games I suppose. Well, except for Blizzard games.

Vamlock

It should and does for me -- when it fails do you get a red light near the top of the page? if so, mouse over and check the error. It's normally an issue with the IsThereAnyDeal server.

Nope, it says it's green.

Oh, I looked at my dev console now and I'm having some errors in there I see...

Uncaught DOMException: Failed to execute 'setItem' on 'Storage': Setting the value of 'ea_appids' exceeded the quota.
Error in response to storage.get: QuotaExceededError: Failed to execute 'setItem' on 'Storage': Setting the value of 'card:108710-Sarah' exceeded the quota.

It hasn't worked right for the last week or so for me ona game page.

Edit: I'll just message jshackles about it to keep stuff out of this thread since it does seem to be a technical thing.

iiicon

🤔

I don't think I played any DLC or Early Access game on steam this year.
Yeah I was trying to come up with a list, and the two coolest things I could think of (Kentucky Route Zero Act 4 and that awesome optional thing you can do at the end of Firewatch) aren't eligible.

ModBot said:
Instructions for crimsonheadGCN:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas -- MB-A1B4DB0F92C328C2 - Taken by gurm3n. 11 entrants total.

t1483430957z1.png

Enjoy

that looks dope but rts are just out of my league

would love for a front mission esque game on steam tho
Have you tried stuff like Company of Heroes or Dawn of War 2? Or even smaller scale games like Infested Planet? Those are more about placing your squad, positioning, and abilities rather than building and insane clicking

The Iron Harvest announcement said that they're inspired by Company of Heroes and Men of War, so CoH might be a good analog

Teggy

You press (usually) A, and it just starts scrolling the text automatically.
No need to press Enter/click mouse after each text window.
(Most games also let you configure the text speed, so you can match it to your reading speed).

Ok, I'm trying Steins;Gate
on Vita
again using this and will see how it goes.

zkylon

zkylewd
Have you tried stuff like Company of Heroes or Dawn of War 2? Or even smaller scale games like Infested Planet? Those are more about placing your squad, positioning, and abilities rather than building and insane clicking

The Iron Harvest announcement said that they're inspired by Company of Heroes and Men of War, so CoH might be a good analog

i played a bit of company of heroes 1 back in the day, as well as dawn of war 1, and i did like those (i remember being blown away by equipping individual soldiers in dawn of war and the destructible terrain in company of heroes) but i never got too into them

rtses just don't click with me, i don't like having to worry about different parts of the map and buildings and resources and whatnot in real time, it just stresses me out

i understand that's a big part of the appeal so it's mostly just me being too thick for em, but i just prefer turn based games

Teggy

I feel that RTS pain. I played a lot of Combat Mission so I really wanted to play Company of Heroes but I got to the 3rd or 4th mission and kept failing. I've started Starcraft so many times. Definitely the genre I want most to play but can't get the hang of.

PRAISE BE TO CROM, CHIEFEST AND GRANDEST OF ALL GODS!
qVdYZvS.jpg

HAIL TO LORD GABEN, MAY HIS JOYOUS GIRTH AND RIGHTEOUS RULE OVER STEAM BE ETERNAL
2268711.jpg

HAIL TO FAIR LADY RONAN MAY HER SMILE AND GRACE STRENGTHEN THEE AS THY BACKLOG IS CLEARED!
rTjMxNw.jpg

NOW STEAMGAF ONCE AGAIN SEEKS AND FACES THE RIDDLE OF STEEL!

Nice giveaway

For those that bought the Rainbow Six Bundle, did you all get a giftable version of Vegas? I got one during the sale and I don't remember ever owning Vegas.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Nomadic Sparks:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Nomadic Sparks, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Impossible Creatures -- MB-FBD9C64377183A79 - Taken by Stumpokapow. 3 entrants total.
Into The Gloom -- MB-E209FD706D063FC3 - Taken by Ozium. 3 entrants total.
Project Snowblind -- MB-450F878C75B95CB2 - Taken by SSPssp. 1 entrants total.
Super Meat Boy -- MB-D968F085BAF0F9D0 - Taken by bloke. 2 entrants total.
Tower Wars- -- MB-E6EA2DCC79F0D4E4 - Taken by voodooray. 3 entrants total.

t1483423863z1.png

Hey just wanted send some good vibes to all the internet party people in the thread

Thanks for the games

Anteater

this page is telling me that I've bought rainbow six vegas and project snowblind and I haven't started them

that makes me sad, I need to finish PoP the warrior within tho

Kudo

Missed sale on Borderlands 2 GOTY, didn't know it had so much content compared to the OG I have, any place have it for cheap right now?

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
The secret to all RTS games is to get a giant blob of mutalisks.

Pay if forward, eh? I wonder if the key lets you get cards since the first episode is free anyways.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Life is Strange Episode 1 -- MB-8A5964BFF01C3DFA

t1483425960z1.png

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

TIS-100 -- MB-53D2A1F0A94669E6 - Taken by Sarcasm
Note: This game is a really amazing programming game by the makers of SpaceChem and it was my GOTY last year, but really I'm giving away this key so I can take Impossible Creatures from the Pay It Forward raffle above

i played a bit of company of heroes 1 back in the day, as well as dawn of war 1, and i did like those (i remember being blown away by equipping individual soldiers in dawn of war and the destructible terrain in company of heroes) but i never got too into them

rtses just don't click with me, i don't like having to worry about different parts of the map and buildings and resources and whatnot in real time, it just stresses me out

i understand that's a big part of the appeal so it's mostly just me being too thick for em, but i just prefer turn based games
That's part of why I like CoH so much. You don't really have to worry about buildings or resources. It's focused on combat and manuevering troops, and more intimate and squad scale than your typical RTS

I dislike building and resource gathering as well, so I only enjoy a narrow section of RTS, mainly the ones that focus on units and squads.

I'd recommend Ultimate General or Infested Planet. The former is very simple to control and all about macro-management and large formations, the latter is small scale tactics, with only your squad and smaller maps

Been playing a few titles, both backlog and newly purchased one.

Pac Man CE 2 - The 3D effect for eating ghost trains gets old quickly, but other then that, it's a very fin title. Fun game modes, like that the bomb gets you back to the start, and great graphics and music.

Transformers: Devastation - Really silly, in a good way. And all that I've seen that I've seen from the game before purchase was in the games first 20 minutes. Feels like a good sales purchase, even if they maybe shouldn't have used RB for so many different actions.

Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut - In my backlog for a couple of sales now. It's good, but I'm struggling to find interest to go beyond the first 6h of the game. It's well made, considering the budget, but I can't shake that feeling of it being a bit restrictive. Is there really any larger difference between different playstyles, character builds and choices in this game, or is pretty much a linear game that plays out the same no matter how you play it?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of crimsonheadGCN, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas -- MB-A1B4DB0F92C328C2 - Taken by gurm3n. 11 entrants total.

t1483430957z1.png

That's part of why I like CoH so much. You don't really have to worry about buildings or resources. It's focused on combat and manuevering troops, and more intimate and squad scale than your typical RTS

I dislike building and resource gathering as well, so I only enjoy a narrow section of RTS, mainly the ones that focus on units and squads.

I'd recommend Ultimate General or Infested Planet. The former is very simple to control and all about macro-management and large formations, the latter is small scale tactics, with only your squad and smaller maps
Warhammer Dow 2 is great in that sense too, you don't have to worry about resources, just managing your few units.

That's a bit of a relief. I'm also in the 'RTS games just don't click' category, but I could do DOW2. I'd definitely prefer a RTwP tactical game, though.

zkylon

zkylewd
played and beat superhot (so productive when i get a day off work)

not sure how i feel about it, maybe because i had already played the old demo but i wasn't as blown away by the time moves when you do mechanic as i wish i was, and the game is so short i feel like i barely scratched the surface of what could be done with it

i also really disliked the meta narrative thing about the ascii mind dissociation computer thing. it's very impressively put together but i found it to be rather trite and it just felt like it was in the way of playing the actual game

is the content outside endless mode (which doesn't sound like something i want to get into) worth playing?

yea i might give one of those a shot when i have some time

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I bust a gut laughing looking for Steam groups today:

1+ Games Collector (you need 1 game to join) 14,461 members
5+ Games Collector (you need 5 games to join) 14,203 members
10+ Games Collector (10 games to join) 14,158 members
25+ Games Collector (...) 12,802 members
50+ Games Collector 11,128 members
100+ Games Collector 8,567 members
250+ Games Collector 3,901 members
500+ Games Collector 2,119 members
1000+ Games Collector 1,156 members
2000+ Games Collector 496 members
3000+ Games Collector 269 members
4000+ Games Collector 139 members
5000+ Games Collector 54 members
6000+ Games Collector 18 members
7000+ Games Collector 2 members
8000+ Games Collector 1 member

lots of conversation going on in the higher level groups probably

Monooboe

Wow I have harder time than I thought to finalize my GOTY list for SteamGAF GOTY... Need a couple of days still.XD

Great to see such varied list from everyone. While Doom seems to sit comfortably I feel like the SteamGAF GOTY list is still going to be suprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom