• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

A Story About My Uncle was another game that just frustrated me. I really enjoyed that one outdoor stage with the autumn colors, but the dark/blue caves and falling platform stages can go away.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
A Story About My Uncle was another game that just frustrated me. I really enjoyed that one outdoor stage with the autumn colors, but the dark/blue caves and falling platform stages can go away.

the falling platforms i near the end. That part was shit. Like I said, the game has some super frustrating jumps. Or I said it in the 52 games thread anyway. and here earlier too. Pay attention Nabs damn it!

Falling platforms level made me drop it and I think that's pretty near the end too

that seems to be a constant with people dropping it. Are you talking about the cubes, or the stalactites? Well they are both near the end anyway, and both shit lol. I actually didnt have a problem with the stalactite in genral, that cube room was horrible tho.

that seems to be a constant with people dropping it. Are you talking about the cubes, or the stalactites? Well they are both near the end anyway, and both shit lol. I actually didnt have a problem with the stalactite in genral, that cube room was horrible tho.

I think it was the cubes

Nabs

Those fucking cubes.

We just released our game: Power Hover on Steam yesterday.

giphy.gif

It's a simple avoid everything, collect everything game about hoverboarding robots :)
Over 30 levels, story mode, and really tough endless boss stages. It's made by two people. One of those people beign me :)

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liFBmqbTUyM

Here's the store link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/559960

LordRaptor started a thread on the Gaming side, I've been giving out few keys and answering questions there, check it out if you're interested.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1332446

Thanks again for the key. I've been having a really good time with this.

zkylon

zkylewd
i thought a story about my uncle wasn't so bad, they gave you a lot of leeway for jumping with the double jump dash swing thing, so it was probably the one time i felt first person platforming was fairly enjoyable

but yeah wasn't a big fan of the game anyways

H1PSTER

I am so sorry for cheating on you SteamGAF... But I have been managing a guild in WoW again and it has taken up most of my time.

Ozium

finished a story about my uncle. its alrigh, feels great until you lose momentum then it sucks, kinda like Mirror's Edge. There are some super frustrating jumps later in the game, but still, its not very long, and its very pretty.

this is why you clowns should play Valley.

data

Apparently the N++ devs are working on an update that almost doubles the amount of levels in the game. That's amazing.

maty

Falling platforms level made me drop it and I think that's pretty near the end too

the falling platforms i near the end. That part was shit. Like I said, the game has some super frustrating jumps. Or I said it in the 52 games thread anyway. and here earlier too. Pay attention Nabs damn it!

The falling cubes are at the start of the last level, it isn't that hard compared to other jumps and specially if you are not doing the grapple challenge.

There is a tip I used for the time trails in that stage, I activated the switch that makes the cubes fall while in midair and instead of landing on the ground I fell past that and died.
This way you'll start at the entrance but with the switch activated skipping that part altogether. Not sure if this works in story mode.

The last stages are actually a little easier to do in time trial mode than the 1st one for example.

I do think the latter levels are a little long though, doing the no death run in those was a challenge.

kagamin

Man, I think Final Fantasy XIV will be the first FF game I finish, ironic considering I own quite a few and nearly beat FF3 when I was younger only to be walled off at the final battle because it's 5 damn boss fights in a row.

Mivey

Man, I think Final Fantasy XIV will be the first FF game I finish, ironic considering I own quite a few and nearly beat FF3 when I was younger only to be walled off at the final battle because it's 5 damn boss fights in a row.
How do you finish an MMO? Get bankrupt?

Mivey

Is this a trick question? There is a definite ending to the story of the game. And more gets added with each expansion.

Like the above, the story for each expansion has its own ending, so technically beating the base game counts as ARR finished.
Nope, I was actually curious. Never followed XIV one bit. Interesting to know. Seems like what BioWare did with SWTOR then.

rtcn63

Resident Evil 4 Resident Kinevil Episode 1 is up. With audio. I regret not downloading the original broken release, since they had to redo the play session making this a version 2.

I like Mike and Mary. I hate the egregious hand-holding that's both lead to Mary's frequent brain farts and negated any sense of "newbie trials and tribulations because of series unfamiliarity". Which was I guess kind of the point to these things, so yeah it sucks.

And when watching other people play stuff, it's weird seeing the cutscenes. I normally skip them for games after the first playthrough. They're practically new to me now.

illusionary

So, does anyone have any educated guesses as to what might be next week's added games to the Humble Bundle BTA tier? Undertale? Ori?

Parsnip

Resident Evil 4 Resident Kinevil Episode 1 is up. With audio. I regret not downloading the original broken release, since they had to redo the play session making this a version 2.

I like Mike and Mary. I hate the egregious hand-holding that's lead to Mary's frequent brain farts and any sense of "newbie trials and tribulations because of series unfamiliarity". Which was I guess kind of the point to these things, so yeah it sucks.

And when watching other people play stuff, it's weird seeing the cutscenes. I normally skip them for games after the first playthrough. They're practically new to me now.

I almost just posted about how Giantbomb's metal gear scanlon and vinnyvania runs had the same problem in some of the games, but got a weird dejavu instead.

Phil Spencer talking about the need to take risks after Scalebound's cancellation.

How about risks along the lines of rereleasing the Zoo Tycoon games and The Movies on Steam?

:(

I could see Zoo Tycoon happening. The Movies, not so much. There are rights issues and Activision at the time had hard feelings when Microsoft bought lionhead.

rtcn63

I almost just posted about how Giantbomb's metal gear scanlon and vinnyvania runs had the same problem in some of the games, but got a weird dejavu instead.

I've mentioned the general problem before, and recall someone replying about vinnyvania so it may have been you.

Parsnip

Just learned that humble has a "abandoned purchase notification email" feature.
I wonder how new it is, I don't think I got a reminder when last time when the same thing happened with amazon payments and recaptcha crapping out on me.

MlC6lft.gif

I've mentioned the general problem before, and recall someone replying about vinnyvania so it may have been you.
Yup.

Lain

Wow, NISA has been getting many go out of business already on the discussion board of their latest Steam release.

Lain

Because the game is censored (just like the western Vita release).

Is that because it was censored?

But...don't they HAVE to do it in order to get it on Steam?

Yeah because of the censorship (and because this was in the faq: Will there be an uncensor patch? Not officially, no. But if fans wanted to make a patch or otherwise modify game files, that is fine. That will not be prohibited).
I don't know if they would have needed to censor the game for the release on Steam per se, but it's a port of the western release so it's not like it matters.

Platy

giphy.gif

It's a simple avoid everything, collect everything game about hoverboarding robots :)
Over 30 levels, story mode, and really tough endless boss stages. It's made by two people. One of those people beign me :)

LordRaptor started a thread on the Gaming side, I've been giving out few keys and answering questions there, check it out if you're interested.

Only now saw this ... looks awesome !

Congrats on releasing a game and thanks for being on of the few devs who recently released games on steam with cheaper prices on brazil ... it has becoming a rarer pratice each day =(

Battlechili

Banned
Is that because it was censored?

But...don't they HAVE to do it in order to get it on Steam?
Yes, its because of the censorship. Well partly. NIS America hasn't built a good reputation for themselves over the years. Beyond their handling of Criminal Girls and Mugen Souls, a lot of their games are known for being very buggy and not getting fixes (see the PS3 version of The Witch and the Hundred Knight as the biggest example of this). Some also criticize translations, such as a character's name being changed in one game to "Esty Dee" to create a joke. The combination of the censorship and some questionable translation practices and buggy releases has left a lot of fans disgruntled and every piece of bad news just hits people harder.

And nah. They talked a lot about this in their own forums. The basic gist of it is that the censorship exists (in Criminal Girls, at least) to avoid getting an AO rating, and that alongside this, while Steam doesn't technically require games to have any sort of ESRB rating (XSeed's Tom has also brought this up on their own forums. Its why they don't bother rating games on PC) its their company policy not to release unrated games (at least at the time of them porting this game, that was their statement).

They have said that they're looking into the idea or at least the idea is being brought up to repeal their company policy for CG2, but the damage is done on CG1.

Ghostlight also gets a lot of these same kind of complaints in the Steam forums for the Mugen Souls and Agarest games.

Teppic

giphy.gif

Looks nice. Bought it. I'm glad it has actual levels and isn't just another endless runner.

giphy.gif

Congrats!

I love a good runner game.

Momentary

Banned
The Dr. Zaber Sentry's Indiegogo campaign is up for those looking for a high grade console sized steel case for their next build. I nabbed one for my future Volta build. It will be cool to have a console sized box outperform my current ATX sized case. It's a small batch product and WILL be a bit pricey for some.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sentry-console-sized-mini-itx-gaming-pc-case-computer/x/2801112#/

The inspiration for the case was taken from Valve's own test STEAM Machines which fit full-sized GPUs in a slim set top box.

giphy.gif

source.gif

For those who game at 144hz - if you go to something that is 60fps, does it feel "unplayable" to you? Or does it still feel good (but not as good as) 144hz?

For those who game at 144hz - if you go to something that is 60fps, does it feel "unplayable" to you? Or does it still feel good (but not as good as) 144hz?

You generally get used to it pretty fast (especially if you're using G-Sync), but it's very jarring for me to go from 165fps to 60 if I'm using a mouse. With a controller 60 and even 30fps is fine.

At the risk of sounding hyperbolic, it feels like trash.
Sega pls allow uncapped frames in Vanquish
You generally get used to it pretty fast (especially if you're using G-Sync), but it's very jarring for me to go from 165fps to 60 if I'm using a mouse. With a controller 60 and even 30fps is fine.

I imagine a controller helps a lot but yeah this might hurt my enjoyment of FPS titles (only play with mouse/keyboard). Seems almost every FPS allows uncapped frames in any case, I can only name a few offhand that limit the FPS (Wolfenstein TNO, Rage... idk)

Teggy

<shrug> I'm one of those people who thinks anything 60fps and over looks the same. (I have a 144 gsync monitor)

It's not unplayable, but it does very much feel very different and needs readjusting to, like the difference between 30 and 60fps. I kind of loathe the advent of high refresh rate monitors. Things were so much simpler when I could just look for a nice low lag IPS, but I've yet to find a 120+hz 1080p monitor that doesn't look washed out or have bad colours. I don't consider myself especially picky with this sort of thing as I'm fine with a good looking TN, but I've had no such luck in finding a high refresh rate monitor that doesn't also tank image quality.

Popstar

The Dr. Zaber Sentry's Indiegogo campaign is up for those looking for a high grade console sized steel case for their next build. I nabbed one for my future Volta build. It will be cool to have a console sized box outperform my current ATX sized case. It's a small batch product and WILL be a bit pricey for some.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sentry-console-sized-mini-itx-gaming-pc-case-computer/x/2801112#/
In that form factor I really like the NFC Systems S4 Mini as far as small run "boutique" cases go.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Some also criticize translations, such as a character's name being changed in one game to "Esty Dee" to create a joke. The combination of the censorship and some questionable translation practices and buggy releases has left a lot of fans disgruntled and every piece of bad news just hits people harder.

NISA's most famous game by an order of magnitude (Disgaea) is a game that is nothing but gags (most introduced in localization) and it's what put them on the map, but it happened before anime people decided to become total nutcases and flip out whenever Matsuhiko-chan doesn't have her omake no desu or gets her vagina bones removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom