• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2017 - Magical Pyres can't melt Cold Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.O.R.D

uggg,saint row bundle

but for $5 it's actually good with mighty no 9.

can't wait for the Vita version (too bad my Vita can't play new games because of homebrews)

edit: the BTA dropped to $4

I actually won Mighty No 9 in a giveaway here long before it was released, in 2014 (07-27-2014). The person (Shadownet) was then banned before the game was released and I never received the game.

wtzgU.gif

dodged a bullet

FoneBone

Already own SR2-4, as well as Killer is Dead, but Deadlight + Homefront (betting I can get a few laughs out of its awfulness) is worth $1 in my book.

FoneBone

Humble Bundle leftover:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (FoneBone, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Saint's Row 2 -- MB-D4F47787BCF17954 - Taken by sixteen-bit. 1 entrants total.

t1501007775z1.png

Despite the dodgy games in there, all that for $4 is a bargain. Wonder what else they'll stick in next week. Some Sacred, or more Risen, maybe? Metro games would be a good idea to get people interested in the new one.

MRORANGE

Got GTX 1060 to complete my pc build, spent £1200 altogether.

Graphics look OK.

Still playing on my PS4 that I bought recently for £200.

TLOU l and UC4 looks amazing.

I think pc gaming is dead to me now.

Wok

Not seeing the issue here. Not seeing what is new about it either.

The issue is devs have started selling F2P games through the Early Access channel. This makes it so that people buy a F2P game, which will most likely result in:
  • a nice B2P game during Early Access, with frequent updates and balance changes,
  • and a likely-dead F2P game after Early Access.

For this one, it does not seem to work too well: low number of players, even though the peak at release is sustained over time.

vG0LluJ.png

For others, maybe it will work, but I doubt it. We will see how many players are still interested in Battlerite when the game is released as F2P next year.

The number of players for Dungeon Defenders II is the same before and after leaving EA.

Gnt7JFu.png

Ditto for Creativerse:

J0X957V.png

Same for Faeria:

jwIQkZZ.png

To me, this indicates a failed F2P model. All these games have benefited from players' curiosity at release (influx of new players), but there is close to zero retention of these F2P players. So I hope the people who bought the F2P game in Early Access have enjoyed the game while it was "new".

Knurek

Got GTX 1060 to complete my pc build, spent £1200 altogether.

Graphics look OK.

Still playing on my PS4 that I bought recently for £200.

TLOU l and UC4 ooks amazing.

I think pc gaming is dead to me now.

This is a Steam thread, MRORANGE, no need to troll console fanboys here.

MUnited83

For you.
The issue is devs have started selling F2P games through the Early Access channel. This makes it so that people buy a F2P game, which will most likely result in:
  • a nice B2P game during Early Access, with frequent updates and balance changes,
  • and a likely-dead F2P game after Early Access.

Again, that isn't new. At all. It's as old as Early Access is. There is no evidence of leading into a " likely-dead F2P game after EA" either.

MRORANGE

This is a Steam thread, MRORANGE, no need to troll console fanboys here.

I'm just telling the truth, graphical fidelity on Pc is a lost cause especially when next gen arrives. The graphical to cost performance of pc is way out of whack. I mean right now I cannot tell the difference between console and pc platforms in graphics I would need to do still by still comparisons. Considering g most hours const more than a console the graphical superiority of pc is becoming a mute point.

Madventure

id's rage any good? only $2 right now

assuming you can get the game to work in the first place, in runs like complete ass. (That's if it even works)

I had to roll back to a specific driver set on my AMD card after scouring the internet for a fix that had a fileset that wouldn't make the game crash on start up. No idea on Nvidia, but all the information on the game/fixes is stuck in 2013/14

I was editing game .ini files and downloading .dll files and I finally got it working to have the game green tinted

Ladekabel

I'm just telling the truth, graphical fidelity on Pc is a lost cause especially when next gen arrives. The graphical to cost performance of pc is way out of whack. I mean right now I cannot tell the difference between console and pc platforms in graphics I would need to do still by still comparisons. Considering g most hours const more than a console the graphical superiority of pc is becoming a mute point.

I only upgrade my PC to play pixel games anyway.

You can directly see a difference when playing a 30fps game on consoles vs. 60 or more fps on PC.

Wok

Again, that isn't new. At all. It's as old as Early Access is. There is no evidence of leading into a " likely-dead F2P game after EA" either.

I don't see one successful F2P game which started as Early Access behind a paywall, instead of the more realistic free closed/open beta. I do see however plenty of failed F2P games which went this road.

There is really no reason to put a F2P game behind a paywall. What would be smart would be to polish the retention mechanics during the beta, and this cannot be optimized with people who already bought the game.

I could even consider BattleBorn in this category actually.

b10JZQW.png

And Evolve:

zDPViDZ.png

These are all devs who do not understand how to milk whales. You need a constant influx of new F2P players. This cannot be improvised.

Hektor

I mean, i would not disagree to say that the graphical difference between your average PC game and console game is rather small right now compared to past gens, but the perfomance superioty of your average 500$ pc still exists within the realms of resolution, framerate and loading times.

Kudo

Asked this in the TV but no replies so I'll ask here, I'd assume some people here should at least have some sort of TV in their setups.

How do people run their setups to PC? I'm kind of unsure how should I do mine, I have one 1440p monitor and the TV will be 4K, so I can't just clone it as either of the displays will have to scale to (TV to either 1440p or monitor downscale from 4k?), but having them act as separate displays seems like work to throw windows around when using different monitor, for example if I want to play on monitor I'd have to set that as main then switch to TV when I feel like playing on that.
Any tips or will I just have to deal with it?

Asked this in the TV but no replies so I'll ask here, I'd assume some people here should at least have some sort of TV in their setups.

For gaming Steam BPM. You can set your TV as a primary BPM display and every game you start through BPM then also starts on the TV.

Cels

bundlestars

$2.19 to be exact

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/game/rage

assuming you can get the game to work in the first place, in runs like complete ass. (That's if it even works)

I had to roll back to a specific driver set on my AMD card after scouring the internet for a fix that had a fileset that wouldn't make the game crash on start up. No idea on Nvidia, but all the information on the game/fixes is stuck in 2013/14

I was editing game .ini files and downloading .dll files and I finally got it working to have the game green tinted

i'm willing to tinker as long as it works in the end. getting soul reaver 1 pc working and controller configuration was kind of a pain but in the end it was fine

MUnited83

For you.
I don't see one successful F2P game which started as Early Access behind a paywall, instead of the more realistic free closed/open beta. I do see however plenty of failed F2P games which went this road.

There is really no reason to put a F2P game behind a paywall. What would be smart would be to polish the retention mechanics during the beta, and this cannot be optimized with people who already bought the game.

I could even consider BattleBorn in this category actually.

b10JZQW.png

And Evolve:

zDPViDZ.png

These are all devs who do not understand how to milk whales. You need a constant influx of new F2P players. This cannot be improvised.
Battleborn and Evolve weren't F2P. They literally only became F2P because they were massive failures. You might as well say that every online game should be F2P from the start too.

Making your F2P game be behind a paywall makes a lot of sense. You get better feedback as only people really interested and invested will buy it, no need to have huge server infraestructure from the get go supporting thousands upon of thousands of non-paying customers. It's something dumb to do while you're developing the game and don't even have the F2P monetization properly ready.

Hektor

ModBot said:
Instructions for Hektor:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin -- MB-F5184DCBD0165295 - Taken by Neverforget. 10 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter -- MB-92DABA14007AA3A5 - Taken by Anteater. 4 entrants total.
Killer is Dead - Nightmare Edition -- MB-26A7573659DBE99A - Taken by Cels. 3 entrants total.
Maize -- MB-8D5096C9253F751A - Taken by fspm. 3 entrants total.
Plague Inc: Evolved -- MB-F1BE0CE25010F555 - Taken by BernardoOne. 3 entrants total.
Saints Row 2 -- MB-88B042040969F6D3 - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN. 3 entrants total.
Saints Row: IV Game of the Century -- MB-C1E660DC41799B5B - Taken by Kiru. 5 entrants total.
Saints Row: The Third: The Full Package -- MB-5F628A8D0ABDF519 - Taken by voodooray. 1 entrants total.
Superhot -- MB-DABEA7FE107D66B8 - Taken by Platy. 6 entrants total.

t1501010966z1.png

Turns out i was still subscribed to last months Humble Monthly,. that's why i hate subscription services.

Not sure if SUPERHOT, Maize and Plague Inc. still work, the rest should definitely

Fucking hell, this saints row bundle region locked even worse than Capcom bundle. Everything is region locked except first Homefront. WTF is wrong with those pricks from Deep Silver?

Kudo

For gaming Steam BPM. You can set your TV as a primary BPM display and every game you start through BPM then also starts on the TV.

That sounds great, do you know if Blizzard games can be somehow launched through BPM (looking forward to Destiny 2)?
And for watching movies I wonder how should I go about that, any tips are appreciated.

madjoki

Fucking hell, this saints row bundle region locked even worse than Capcom bundle. Everything is region locked except first Homefront. WTF is wrong with those pricks from Deep Silver?

I believe Deep Silver was the first publisher to make use of most extreme region locks, even back in 2011/12 they locked all non-EU keys from EU. (Now they also lock EU keys from being used elsewhere as is case with 2K/Capcom/Acti).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom