• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2017 - Magical Pyres can't melt Cold Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monooboe

I still couldn't see myself using such bizarre controller.

I think just getting used to it that it could be quite nice.

Yes, but if I had an Xbox One controller I'd probably swap back and forth. I'd rather control games using my nose than use a Dualshock 4. I would say it works well but not perfectly, it's a bit fiddly, there's some issues with it, some games don't have good defaults. I don't play an enormous number of twitch-oriented shooters and I don't play anything online competitive.

Well sounds good enough, the support seems good for it rom the community and if I were to play online games I would just use KB/M. Does it work good for 2D games?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Well sounds good enough, the support seems good for it rom the community and if I were to play online games I would just use KB/M. Does it work good for 2D games?

Yeah, I think both the d-pad and the analogue stick work pretty well in 2D games. Again, I don't play competitive fighting games or anything, but I do play a lot of 2D platformers and haven't had a problem. I hope to a replay of Super Meat Boy soon and I'll be using it.

Monooboe

Yeah, I think both the d-pad and the analogue stick work pretty well in 2D games. Again, I don't play competitive fighting games or anything, but I do play a lot of 2D platformers and haven't had a problem. I hope to a replay of Super Meat Boy soon and I'll be using it.

Ah great, yeah I think I will try and get it soon, I mean it's been in the first place on my steam wishlist since september 2015 haha.

Ganado

Fate/Extella has 33 DLCs on launch day.

THIRTY THREE FUCKING DLCS ON DAY ZERO.

Devs/publishers have absolutely no shame left. Absolutely none. I'd point out the Switch version has all the DLCs included in it's single price of $60 but that's not even the point.

THIRTY THREE DLCS releasing alongside the game.

Yes, they're just costumes. Yes, they're cheap. Yes, they're optional. Yes, they're discounted. Yes, you don't have to buy them. Yes, I know all 33 excuses people make for shit like this.

THIRTY THREE DLCS on the day of release.

Fuck me where did it all go so wrong.
I was gonna buy it since I thought that the DLC would be sold in a pack for maybe 20 bucks tops. Probably not gonna buy any XSEED releases to support them for a while, only when I'm actually going to play it/or when it's cheap.

Also no video options from what I've heard.

I was gonna buy it since I thought that the DLC would be sold in a pack for maybe 20 bucks tops. Probably not gonna buy any XSEED releases to support them for a while, only when I'm actually going to play it/or when it's cheap.

Stealth release of a possibly bad port of a mediocre game with an outraging price
XSeed is sending this to death.

Lain

I read the options, at least to set resolution (and I guess AA?) are in the launcher and you gotta pick it:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/511680/discussions/0/2132869574277459434/#c2132869574277468732

You can change the resolution on the launcher!

When you hit "Play", two options should show up: "Play Fate/EXTELLA" and "Launch Configuration Tool". If you choose "Launch Configuration Tool", there are options there.

If you right-click the title in your library, there is a "Launch Configuration Tool" option there as well.

Wok

I have compiled a list of ~60 Free-to-Play games which i) are not currently in Early Access, and ii) have a decent playerbase.

Then, I have found a semi-automated way to find out which games were first released in Early Access behind a paywall. There are 8 games in total:

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I need to buy a physical copy of Pyre's soundtrack.

So good.

This might very well become GoTY material, glad I took the plunge.

jediyoshi

Fate/Extella has 33 DLCs on launch day.

THIRTY THREE FUCKING DLCS ON DAY ZERO.

Devs/publishers have absolutely no shame left. Absolutely none. I'd point out the Switch version has all the DLCs included in it's single price of $60 but that's not even the point.

THIRTY THREE DLCS releasing alongside the game.

Yes, they're just costumes. Yes, they're cheap. Yes, they're optional. Yes, they're discounted. Yes, you don't have to buy them. Yes, I know all 33 excuses people make for shit like this.

THIRTY THREE DLCS on the day of release.

Fuck me where did it all go so wrong.

But to clarify, you'd rather we have the Switch version's model?

Parsnip

Bundle stuff.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 19 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Avencast Rise of the Mage -- MB-6A89829A91A12A90 - Taken by Sarcasm
Crash Time 2 -- MB-1F11A54E370342E9
Disastr_Blastr -- MB-8F449DF9E4686483 - Taken by Dangerblade
Fighter of Evil -- MB-BE5213F2F5C42CBF - Taken by titch
Flame of Memory -- MB-951CDB29791AE1B1 - Taken by voodooray
Larva Mortus -- MB-B6BA4C174E8154D6
Nash Racing -- MB-738B7A93109170A9 - Taken by bloke
Night of Terror -- MB-F7BB9427F76BF124 - Taken by Vuze
Nikopol Secrets of the Immortals -- MB-A269869D4EFB0067
Open Sorcery -- MB-8BB9E3BEBC413FAB - Taken by rainking187
Rhiannon Curse of the Four Branches -- MB-B937344AB40ED0D2
Robo Do It -- MB-513AE0CE8358213C - Taken by Jalal
Run Away -- MB-0B99512CD8A68E91 - Taken by Ludens
Silver Knight -- MB-FC1D355C08DE0CD2 - Taken by Orakio Rob
Space Hack -- MB-C2A4DC0F91E8348C
Space Trader Merchant Marine -- MB-A82C51C1A6C8BDF6 - Taken by MaxiLive
Trashville -- MB-D899601E17A3A465 - Taken by bobnowhere
Vicky Saves the Big Dumb World -- MB-98AD862A8E57D630 - Taken by Zia
Wasteland Angel -- MB-8E5E097EC5B685A8 - Taken by texhnolyze

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Jurassic Park: The Game -- MB-84637139DF3C6C17 - Taken by purseowner. 7 entrants total.
Poker Night 2 -- MB-2BC9A05526C0F47E - Taken by FeedMeAStrayCat. 1 entrants total.
Sam & Max: Devil's Playhouse -- MB-49955EEF9D28FF7D - Taken by KainXVIII. 3 entrants total.

The Walking Dead: 400 Days -- MB-3E1FC54426B86192 - Taken by Popstar. 3 entrants total.
The Wolf Among Us -- MB-2CBF08D21225DB40 - Taken by Shalashaska. 10 entrants total.

t1501074303z1.png

You'll already need The Walking Dead Season 1 for 400 days to work.

Dec

I grabbed that bundlestars bundle a couple weeks back and finally got around to playing Aarklash: Legacy a bit.

Really strong first impression, the game has tons of charm. The voice acting especially is very cartoon-like in a refreshing way.

Combat seems really interesting, especially the stealing and debuffing of any timed buff (a lot of enemies have long invulnerability buffs and heals you can steal if fast). There are counter plays to every spell an enemy will cast if you only know what that spell is and how it works, which is easy because you can select an enemy to get a full tooltip of all of their abilities.

The story thus far is a little shallow, but I'm really hoping that it does not remain that way as a few of the character bios hint at some interesting world lore and history that seems to be very clear foreshadowing.

Runs well, has a hardware mouse option in a config file (big plus for me). Solid all around, looking forward to playing more.

prudislav

this looks intriguing ... like pixelart anime grand strategy

Lost Technology is a simulation game in which over 100 characters comprising a total of 12 different factions battle to conquer each other's territories. The faction chosen at the beginning will determine the conversations and events that occur throughout the game between the player and the other factions.

The game is centred around three major phases:
  • Phase One: Turn-Based War Strategy
    Recruit units, and build your army. Find those who will fight for you, command their movements and formation to smoothly prepare to assault your enemy's territories, or being diplomacy to build peaceful and prosperous relations.
  • Phase Two: Real-Time Battle
    Co-ordinate your army and navigate them through the battle field. With a variety of terrains, attacks and formations, utilize them all to overpower and defeat your enemy.
  • Phase Three: Story Event
    Play through scenarios, each triggered by special events within the game. Your choices and interactions here will affect your strategy and progression.
TRAILER: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_8faiHRNIo

EDIT: oh seems like english release wont be complete :-(
This is a game has a large amount of story text for each playable faction. Ideally we would like to provide fully localized versions for each respective faction, however, the size and scale of the game meant that a full localization would be extremely difficult to provide all at once, and so only the three factions known as the Reinald Empire, Makan, and Álfheim are included in the English release.

It is possible to start with any of the other playable factions, but story events will not occur and only the simulation part of the game may be played.

The Japanese version still contains the currently available free version, all of the basic functions without changes, and all factions are included in full right off the bat. However, it will be distributed as a paid title due to adjustments made specifically for Steam and the addition of trading cards, etc.

We currently plan to look carefully at how this title sells (including sales within Japan) and will proceed with the localization of the remaining factions in accordance with the sales numbers. The remaining factions are set to be distributed as additional DLC in the future. Please stay tuned for more news regarding further details
http://steamcommunity.com/games/420520/announcements/detail/1437063363265677054

I only got to play about 10 minutes of Kingsway before work, but it seems really cool. Hopefully the novelty of the OS interface doesn't wear out and reveal a pretty basic game.

City 17

So I downloaded Pyre and got your average "stopped working" error, verifying the integrity of the files didn't help either, tried Transistor afterwards, same error, but other installed games (including Bastion) seem to be fine.

Any ideas?

Parsnip

So I downloaded Pyre and got your average "stopped working" error, verifying the integrity of the files didn't help either, tried Transistor afterwards, same error, but other installed games (including Bastion) seem to be fine.

Any ideas?
Tried running the two redists from the game directory?
Tried temporarily turning off any background apps like antivirus and MSI Afterburner? How about Steam overlay?

But to clarify, you'd rather we have the Switch version's model?

Sure. My issue isn't with this particular game or dev/publisher. So many are doing it these days. I think Neptunia VII launched with DLC that cost more than the game itself. I'm sure there are several other games that do this as well. If your $50 game has $30 worth of DLC on the day it launches then it's an $80 game. Why pretend otherwise?

The common excuse reason given for DLCs is that the money we pay for games only covers developer expenses until release day and cannot possibly pay for future support so that's why DLCs simply have to exist. So what kind of post release financial support do those developers need when they release a late port that will not get any further patches or content? Why do we still need to pay separately for so many DLCs?

Remember how everyone used to have a good laugh when looking at the Train Simulator store page back in the day? It's so pervasive now that we don't even blink an eye anymore. I'm not even trying to get on a preachy high horse here or anything because I've bought costumes/microtransactions but man we really let it get out of hand. Looking at what happened to DLC starting from Horse Armor until today I don't think there's anyone who can say with a straight face that the slippery slope is a fallacy.

Tonton

Stealth release of a possibly bad port of a mediocre game with an outraging price
XSeed is sending this to death.
Game has been just behind PUBG in the global top sellers since release and has 94% positive user reviews, so maybe it worked out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Do we know when Cold Steel 2 PC is going to be?

We don't know, but from what Durante was talking in the release date announcement thread, doesn't seem they started work on it yet so it should take a while

City 17

Tried running the two redists from the game directory?
Tried temporarily turning off any background apps like antivirus and MSI Afterburner? How about Steam overlay?

Tried all that with no luck.

BTW Transistor was fine when I finished it long ago, maybe Win10 updates are the culprit?

Ascheroth

Game has been just behind PUBG in the global top sellers since release and has 94% positive user reviews, so maybe it worked out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We don't know, but from what Durante was talking in the release date announcement thread, doesn't seem they started work on it yet so it should take a while
Well, but in theory Cold Steel 2 should be less work since I assume most of the work Durante put in 1 can be used on 2 as well. That said, I kind of think it would be end of this year at the earliest, but more realistically somewhere in the first half of 2018?

Parsnip

Well, but in theory Cold Steel 2 should be less work since I assume most of the work Durante put in 1 can be used on 2 as well. That said, I kind of think it would be end of this year at the earliest, but more realistically somewhere in the first half of 2018?
Yeah, I imagine and hope that the work that he put in to the dx11 renderer would transfer over to Cold Steel 2 (and who knows, maybe other games Falcom games in the future).

Speaking of, are we expecting the second blog entry today, and third on the launch day?

For whatever reason, I just can't use the Steam controller for platformers. And for twitchy stuff, I'm even worse. Hyper Light Drifter, the later parts of Undertale, Gungeon, etc. No dice.

I probably need to look into an X1 controller. The 360's d-pad works well on those rare occasions when you aren't accidentally pressing down+right when you want to go right.

Mivey

Man, Cold Steel 3 is looking great, I hope there isn't a big delay between the PS4 and PC versions.
The games have a big script usually, even by JRPG standards. Assuming that Nihon Falcom doesn't have some sort of in-house translators to start working on it asap, it will probably be at least half a year. Even with full-time work, if you want quality translations, you need some time (at least initial translation + intensive editing.)
Unless you mean the Japanese PC version. Do those still exist? I thought PCs went extinct over there.

Tonton

Even with that, it's still quite a bit of work, I wouldn't expect it this year, but first half (maybe first quarter if we're lucky?) of 2018 should be doable from what we know

The games have a big script usually, even by JRPG standards. Assuming that Nihon Falcom doesn't have some sort of in-house translators to start working on it asap, it will probably be at least half a year. Even with full-time work, if you want quality translations, you need some time (at least initial translation + intensive editing.)
Unless you mean the Japanese PC version. Do those still exist? I thought PCs went extinct over there.

They're probably talking relative to the western release that's likely to take a long time too, I wouldn't expect it before Q4 2018

It's so far away that maybe there's a chance they manage to get a PC version to release with it but I wouldn't count on it just yet

soundtest

Banned
hey, has anyone in this thread gotten machinarium to work with a controller? they did an update recently that allows for controller support but it doesnt work at all with my pad.

Ascheroth

I think he means the time between western PS4 version and western PC version. (I have no idea how the development status is for Cold Steel 3. Is it even out in Japan yet? Is there a western release date?)
...Which *could* by simultaneous actually in the best case, considering that they could work on the port while the translators and editors translate and edit the text.

titch

Damn saw the misprice for XCom and didnt bite.

Considering i've only played 1 for about an hour i think it will wait......

City 17

I'm on latest Win10 too, just tested Transistor and it ran fine, so it's not that. Unless you are on fast insider track or something. Maybe try different gpu drivers? I'm on Nvidia 384.80 myself.

No insider build, and I'm on 381.65... will try the latest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom