• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2017 - Magical Pyres can't melt Cold Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonton

What kind of button prompts are available?

Great read, I'm wondering what will be that feature you didn't expect XSEED to greenlight

Hold up, what is Noi doing in Trails of Cold Steel? Guess it's just an accessory but still weird.
The port is looking good.

Yeah, she's just a silly accessory, there's also Estelle and Joshua in CS2 and Rean(CS's protag) in Ys VIII~

If you've played Nayuta, that's probably not the only thing you'll be familiar with~

kevin1025

Banned
And here we go~
LoH: Trails of Cold Steel PC Guest Blog #2 from Peter “Durante” Thoman - Graphical Enhancements & Options

Oh my~
tumblr_inline_otpl1izfkJ1siwbnr_500.png

Looks fantastic! I'm excited for Absurd shadows.

Ascheroth

The game already has skipping (though there's no option to always skip and it still takes a while loading)

He did call it a graphical feature I think, would that count as one?
:O that's cool.

The exact quote is
In the final article, we’ll have a look at some non-graphical features, and one particular, somewhat programming-intensive graphical option that will make a few people really happy and which I never expected XSEED to go for. Till then!
but I'm drawing blanks regarding that special graphical feature.

Nabs

The new Steam Beta brings microphone support for In-Home Streaming. The latest Steam Link beta also supports this (enable in Audio Settings).

Steam Beta announcement:

In-Home Streaming microphone support

The latest Steam beta client (dated July 26 or newer) adds streaming microphone support on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

Once you install the beta update you may need to reboot your computer to activate driver installation.

Then, when you start streaming for the first time you'll be prompted to install streaming audio drivers on the remote computer.

When streaming starts, Steam will switch the default audio devices over to new virtual audio devices that are used for streaming audio, and restore them once streaming is complete.

If you want to avoid this completely, just start Steam on the remote computer with the -skipstreamingdrivers command line option.

Enjoy!

My antivirus software just bombarded me with hundreds of notifications telling me that https:// accounts. nvgs. nvidia. com was blocked. Only way to stop it was to turn off GeForce Experience. Is something funny going on or did they just forget to renew their https licenses?

Edit: Added spaces to the link so it doesn't trigger whenever i enter the thread...

Knurek

Anyone else having an issue with running Steam games?
Sometimes when I start a game, I just get a Steam popup window flash and then nothing. Running the game second time fixes it, but doesn't change the fact it's annoying...

Thorgal

after rediscovering my love for the dragon age series i am looking for more of this type of game .

basically an RPG where you have healer ,tank and dps classes ( or other classes in general ) but you don't have to babysit every member on what to do in your party instead you can set up how they should act . ( ie, an enemy mage comes into the fight ,so the character in my party who has skills to combat /shutdown mages automatically focuses on the mage using those skills ).

any suggestions ?

( BTW is there any confirmation of Dragon Age 4 being worked on ? i saw some random video's but nothing official .

Knurek

after rediscovering my love for the dragon age series i am looking for more of this type of game .

basically an RPG where you have healer ,tank and dps classes ( or other classes in general ) but you don't have to babysit every member on what to do in your party instead you can set up how they should act . ( ie, an enemy mage comes into the fight ,so the character in my party who has skills to combat /shutdown mages automatically focuses on the mage using those skills ).

Just wait 10 months for Steam release of Final Fantasy XII.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Durante probably knows this, but some publishers who read this might not. Although everything in this post is great news, I wanted to highlight four specific things that cost very little to implement and are HUGE quality of life issues:

1) Launcher can be navigated by gamepad -- I know you think PC gamers all play on monitors with keyboards and mice, but many of us play on televisions with controllers. Being able to navigate the launcher at least enough to launch the game with the gamepad is a huge deal.

2) Suppress launcher on subsequent launches; for most people they want to fiddle with settings once or twice and then never see the launcher again. It's so annoying having to go through some ugly ass Win32 launcher to launch a game.

3) Choice of button prompts. Xbox fans don't want playstation prompts, Playstation fans don't want Xbox Prompts, and no one wants text that says JOY11 or whatever the fucking weird-ass button name is for a given button. Please implement the major button sets and allow choice of button prompts visually.

4) Skip intro movies. The first 2-3 times I play a game I want to see the intro. After that, I want to get into the game as quickly as possible.

These are not things that will massively inflate your budget. If you really don't have any budget, at least leave these as INI options so power-users can fix them. Please.

illusionary

edit: Anyone else tried using 5% codes on CDKeys? i AM trying to get MvC Inf. from there but the 5% code I get isn't accepted by the website at the checkout
I am logged in and I can't add the code.

#Regional_Pricing

Have you used the code before? They limit it to two uses per account now.

Annubis

2) Suppress launcher on subsequent launches; for most people they want to fiddle with settings once or twice and then never see the launcher again. It's so annoying having to go through some ugly ass Win32 launcher to launch a game.

Atelier Sophie....

If anyone hates it as much as I do, copy the main .exe and give it the name of the launcher.

Thorgal

1) Launcher can be navigated by gamepad -- I know you think PC gamers all play on monitors with keyboards and mice, but many of us play on televisions with controllers. Being able to navigate the launcher at least enough to launch the game with the gamepad is a huge deal.

FIxnpIQ.png

gabbo

Durante probably knows this, but some publishers who read this might not. Although everything in this post is great news, I wanted to highlight four specific things that cost very little to implement and are HUGE quality of life issues:

1) Launcher can be navigated by gamepad -- I know you think PC gamers all play on monitors with keyboards and mice, but many of us play on televisions with controllers. Being able to navigate the launcher at least enough to launch the game with the gamepad is a huge

3) Choice of button prompts. Xbox fans don't want playstation prompts, Playstation fans don't want Xbox Prompts, and no one wants text that says JOY11 or whatever the fucking weird-ass button name is for a given button. Please implement the major button sets and allow choice of button prompts visually.

4) Skip intro movies. The first 2-3 times I play a game I want to see the intro. After that, I want to get into the game as quickly as possible.

These are not things that will massively inflate your budget. If you really don't have any budget, at least leave these as INI options so power-users can fix them. Please.
These i can support whole-heartedly.

Really excited about the next CS PC blog. I hope we're getting things like some kind of speed control, proper mirrors/reflections, maybe some modding capacity, and mouse controls.

Wow, this looks really good. Art is gorgeous !

Sad that we cant have all game translated, but happy with the "large amount of story text for each playable faction".
I just hope this can sell enough to justify an extended localization effort, because large-scale RTSes like this are super rare coming from Japanese developers (even doujin teams). This reminds me of both Dragon Force on Saturn and Kure Software Koubou's PC-98/Win9x RTSes (mainly the First Queen series), and that's a great thing. And that character art looks so good, more old-school than you'd expect.

Work some magic here, Playism!

I do feel a bit happy for them because it feels like they've been having nothing but bombas after Shinovi Versus but at the same time i'm still mad at the price proposition compared to the Switch version lol

Hopefully Cold Steel and Ys SEVEN are also a success for them (no way Zwei is not bombing hard)
Estival Versus sold pretty well, and Ken @ XSEED said that Nitro+ Blasterz was successful vs. Xanadu Next (which has finally reached 10k when you factor in GOG, not that it's saying much). There's definite reasons explaining low sales for the others (poor timing, poor port job, niche even for XSEED, etc), but I don't feel like that's pre-determined the results for games like Zwei II as long as they get more attention from XSEED and other sources. EXTELLA's doing great because Fate diehards are turning out to buy the games on PC, and they'll snap this up even with its bad DLC offer. At least a good port's getting rewarded.

Eila

I just hope this can sell enough to justify an extended localization effort, because large-scale RTSes like this are super rare coming from Japanese developers (even doujin teams). This reminds me of both Dragon Force on Saturn and Kure Software Koubou's PC-98/Win9x RTSes (mainly the First Queen series), and that's a great thing. And that character art looks so good, more old-school than you'd expect.

Damn, those FIrst Queen games look really cool. Absolute chaos. It's too bad there's no way they can turn a profit with the work have to put in translating, editing and inserting the translation.

Lain

Ahah, got an email from SE about Lost Sphear releasing January 28 and to preorder it now! on Steam/PSN to get some bonus stuff (a wallapaper and a couple of songs). I click on the link that takes you to the Steam page to preorder and there is no purchase button on the page.

Damn, those FIrst Queen games look really cool. Absolute chaos. It's too bad there's no way they can turn a profit with the work have to put in translating, editing and inserting the translation.
First Queen IV at least deserves a fan translation, plus something for the Windows remake of the first game (and then Dark Seraphim on PC-98). You can get First Queen: The New World off Japanese digital-download sites like Vector, but it's tough to run properly these days. I wish more people knew about Kure's strategy games, and Lost Technology seems like it'll need help too.

Tizoc

Have you used the code before? They limit it to two uses per account now.

Well I was logged in with my original account, I went to Facebook to generate a code, and tried it during checkout and it didn't go through.
I guess codes now only work for new accounts only.

jholmes

Completely agree with these points, especially about the launcher. The world needs less of those already. If your game has controller support, don't make me use a mouse.

Eila

First Queen IV at least deserves a fan translation, plus something for the Windows remake of the first game (and then Dark Seraphim on PC-98). You can get First Queen: The New World off Japanese digital-download sites like Vector, but it's tough to run properly these days. I wish more people knew about Kure's strategy games, and Lost Technology seems like it'll need help too.

Hey, dreaming is free.
You know something is obscure when it doesn't have a hg101 article.

Durante

To not put too fine a point on it, I'd say all of those things together don't cost more than $3000 to implement (and I include development in-game, of the launcher, documentation and testing here). And it's just that "high" because the game was a bit resistant to generalizing button prompts since it was developed as a PS exclusive -- that part is 80% of the cost, and would be much cheaper when considered from the start in a multi-platform game.

Also, I'll be releasing the source for the launcher gamepad navigation system (which generically works without any additional effort for any form using buttons, dropdowns, checkboxes and sliders) when things slow down a bit.

Endruen

Playing Hollow Knight is getting more annoying by the minute. I don't know what they did with the last update, but it keeps stuttering when hitting enemies or falling into water. Sometimes it looks like it fixes it by itself, but some others there's no way to play it.

I've been playing the demo for an indie dungeon crawler called Swords and Sorcery Underworld - Definitive Edition.

It's made by a single guy. At first, I was skeptical, because the interface is a bit confusing and the game looks a bit rough, but I kept playing and it's pretty solid. Combat is great, equipping your characters feels very rewarding and... well, I know I said the interface is confusing, but I think I'm beginning to like it. There are keyboard shortcuts for everything, which is great.

Notice the keyboard shortcuts for everything. Also, you can buy a rabbit's foot: "Common, simple, yet surprisingly effective" (+1 luck!)

The graphics are a mixed bag and you can tell this is a budget game, but there's some great art when you meet NPCs and the game works really well.

I'll surely buy the full version on the next sale. Congrats to the dev!

zkylon

zkylewd

damn they should've just made battlegrounds characters look like that all the time

also i really hope loot boxes are just a trend and not a long lasting thing

that shit is the worst

I started playing God Eater 2.

That's.. an interesting outfit for killing monsters in I suppose.
honestly i feel like half the reason why i play god eater is to unlock new costumes

the actual gameplay gets pretty old quick and the story is trash but idk they have like 3 different schoolgirl outfits and i want them all in all their variants

zkylon

zkylewd
I want this, but I ain't spending shiiiiiiiiiiiit on loot.
you don't spend money on loot, you gamble away your money in the hopes of getting the loot you want

i hate that kind of shit, i don't mind selling cosmetics (tho it's kind of bullshit in a non-f2p game), but just let me buy whatever i want

i hate loot boxes with a passion, easily one of the things i feel the shitty trends i feel most strongly about since gamification and shit

also speculating for profit doesn't make it better, it actually makes it worse...

Madventure

Sell crates when they go live

Aqquire loot as prices go down with the money you got from the crates

Reading through the OT yesterday it sounds like the best strategy will be buy up all of the crates that will currently be unlockable by everyone at this current time in early access that don't require a purchasable key to unlock.
Wait until it's not in Early Access anymore when it transitions to their different system that requires a key to unlock boxes for cosmetic stuff sell your super rare boxes for enough money to buy every game on steam

MUnited83

For you.
you don't spend money on loot, you gamble away your money in the hopes of getting the loot you want

i hate that kind of shit, i don't mind selling cosmetics (tho it's kind of bullshit in a non-f2p game), but just let me buy whatever i want

i hate loot boxes with a passion, easily one of the things i feel the shitty trends i feel most strongly about since gamification and shit

also speculating for profit doesn't make it better, it actually makes it worse...

? You can buy whatever you want. Like, literally every single item. You don't ever need to touch a crate. There is zero gambling required.

Sell crates when they go live

Aqquire loot as prices go down with the money you got from the crates
Yeah, maybe, if they go down. Too bad I have to hunt down a bunch of shit to complete that outfit.

Yeah, you right. I don't buy crates in anything that offers them, Fuck that.

L.O.R.D

Hi guys

Is there a list for every game that not available on certain region on steam?
Any idea how to quick find them?
For example,i want to know every games that's available in US steam and not available on Saudi Arabia steam.

Thanks.

Madventure

Well another example for Cosmetic stuff in game is Rust compared to PUBG since they're both in early Access

The way Rust does it is every week is 20~ new items get listed and they're from 0.99 $ to 1.99$ and purchasable from the Developer Steam store with a % going to whatever skin maker made/helped make the item than after the week is up they're delisted from that store new skins are put up on the Dev store and the old ones are able to be sold on steam community

Then if the skin cosmetic sucks or is real popular the price is just determined by the community as opposed to dumb luck on getting it

There's also the option to get Item drops after X amount hours along with breaking down items into components to make them into a new item skin

MUnited83

For you.
I think he means buying them with in-game money (or equivalent), not real moneys.

Loot boxes do suck.

"i hate that kind of shit, i don't mind selling cosmetics (tho it's kind of bullshit in a non-f2p game), but just let me buy whatever i want"

This is clearly about real moneys though. And every single one of the cosmetics can indeed be bought and you can buy whatever you want.

Parsnip

"i hate that kind of shit, i don't mind selling cosmetics (tho it's kind of bullshit in a non-f2p game), but just let me buy whatever i want"

This is clearly about real moneys though. And every single one of the cosmetics can indeed be bought and you can buy whatever you want.

But the line before that was "you don't spend money on loot, you gamble away your money in the hopes of getting the loot you want" which is clearly about gambling the in-game reward money on random loot boxes.

MUnited83

For you.
But the line before that was "you don't spend money on loot, you gamble away your money in the hopes of getting the loot you want" which is clearly about gambling the in-game reward money on random loot boxes.

Which is a line zky said because he doesn't know you can buy any item you want individually. So he thinks they can only be obtained through the boxes. Which is incorrect. Hency why he says the line I quoted...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom