• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
RPG Maker Humble Bundle ends in 24 hours, NeoGAF event/competition to make an RPG Maker game before August 7th is going on to remind.

My stance is that 24 hours should only be applied to giveaways that have much requested games people want, like if I was suddenly going to come in here and giveaway The Forest, Killer is Dead, Resident Evil 4, The Stomping Land, etc., as those are more recent/sough after games, but even then three hours on that has some appeal.

I'm not saying that's how it has to work, but my personal take on it. For quick small little giveaways, 15 minutes will suffice, and for bigger giveaways of a lot of misc codes, three hours will usually suffice.

nexen

Hey now! If we did somehow decide that Saoirse's time here was over
(HERESY!)
, Natalie Dormer shouldn't get to cut to the front of the line. Not while other worthies have been waiting patiently for their time in the spotlight. Even if we limit eligibility to natural blondes, Copons has been championing Yvonne Strahovski here for a long time now, and, well...
[Olivia Wilde pic]

She purty.

Copons

Among Thieves plays better than Drake's Fortune but I've always preferred the latter to the former due to its locations, which better serve the "ancient and probably cursed treasure" MacGuffin.

It is true, yeah, but when you know that the MacGuffin will instead always be
nazi zombies yetis and shit
, I guess who cares about ancient treasures, just gimme cool locations, explosions and stuff. :D

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Unless GFWL2 takes some pointers from Steam about how intrusive it's DRM is I don't want to hear it.

The problem with publisher-specific services is that they're not an example of competition but rather fragmentation. Uplay and Origin were just "Me too!" reactions to Steam's success as a service, not a store, and at no point was becoming a storefront that was more third-party than first an actual goal. Amazon DD, GMG, GamersGate and other general storefronts are competing with Steam because there's a significant inventory overlap; with Origin and Uplay, the catalogue is 90%+ EA/Ubi titles and a tiny selection of third-party titles that may or may not also be on Steam.

To put it another way, when you look deeper than the surface level of "They're distribution services that offer games", Origin and Uplay "compete" with Steam barely more than Battle.net. does -- but at least Ubi releases most of its Uplay games on Steam also.

Ah, good stuff.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The worst thing you can say about Uncharted 3 is that it wasn't as much of a step up from Uncharted 2 as that was from the first game. It's not bad, it just isn't excellent. It's still a fun game and I don't see why you wouldn't enjoy playing more Uncharted if you liked the first two.

By the way, you're reading the June 2014 Steam thread.

Arthea

Unless GFWL2 takes some pointers from Steam about how intrusive it's DRM is I don't want to hear it.

no, I definitely don't wanna hear about it ever, enough is enough.
I would like Uplay take some pointers if they are going to insist on continuing, though.

The worst thing you can say about Uncharted 3 is that it wasn't as much of a step up from Uncharted 2 as that was from the first game. It's not bad, it just isn't excellent. It's still a fun game and I don't see why you wouldn't enjoy playing more Uncharted if you liked the first two.

By the way, you're reading the June 2014 Steam thread.

Oh I can say a lot worse about Uncharted 3, but yea, Steam thread and all...

Minsc

Gold Member
Choosing between GOG and Steam is always one of the least favorite gaming decisions of mine, lol. I know tons of people don't give it a second thought, but I just hate picking when a new game is released both places.

Steam is generally going to offer a better experience due to the achievements, auto-updating, and social aspect, but at the same time I appreciate what GOG brings to the table too by providing a large collection of older and DRM-free games without the need for any additional software to run. As often as not though, the offerings between the two are largely similar, and I guess that's a great thing for Steam - to be able to compete with GOG on their own territory, having stuff like Divinity Original Sin release DRM-free on Steam as well (and ironic that some people don't even realize it, like mentioned earlier about people being oblivious to Steam having a large collection of DRM-free games on it).

So yeah, Steam is great, even for older games as it can really re-spark interest thanks to the ability to add in simple multiplayer support (for the players) and mods via the workshop and more... and I never regret buying stuff on it (well except impulse purchases that don't get to see the light of day). The Steam threads people put together are a great resource too (so thanks to all of you and great work). I love how much exposure things see here too, the thread's always full of so many people, you're bound to run across someone else who has played what you're looking at buying, almost every new release gets mentioned even if it's not a big AAA release, etc.

@Salsa, I'm going to see a monthly GOG thread reaching 100 posts a success! Don't want to set the bar too high right away ;)

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

GFWL's DRM isn't necessarily what was wrong with the program, as Microsoft recommended the use of Securom, but it wasn't required *. It's like how uPlay is different from the always-online component it launched with; they're basically indistinguishable, but are technically two different problems.

The real problem with GFWL is much, much more fundamental: the approach. From the outset, Microsoft wanted to bring its cash-cow walled-garden to PC, thinking brand recognition would be enough to get people to pay for things they had gotten for free previously.

Everything that happened after that launch was basically Microsoft trying to save a sinking ship with a single bucket with the bottom removed -- and it shows.

* The beauty of this is we can blame both Microsoft and Sony for the GFWL's bullshit.

Salsa

I like GOG for basically guaranteeing that they get the older games to work on current hardware

that was always the thing about it for me and it's on those situations where I choose it over Steam

JaseC

I like GOG for basically guaranteeing that they get the older games to work on current hardware

that was always the thing about it for me and it's on those situations where I choose it over Steam

CDPR can be sloppy, though. I couldn't get Baldur's Gate to run beyond the opening cutscene and Google lead me to the solution of installing the patch that moves the game to the engine of the sequel because the original doesn't like Win7 (and presumably Win8).

inm8num2

RPG Maker Humble Bundle ends in 24 hours, NeoGAF event/competition to make an RPG Maker game before August 7th is going on to remind.

My stance is that 24 hours should only be applied to giveaways that have much requested games people want, like if I was suddenly going to come in here and giveaway The Forest, Killer is Dead, Resident Evil 4, The Stomping Land, etc., as those are more recent/sough after games, but even then three hours on that has some appeal.

I'm not saying that's how it has to work, but my personal take on it. For quick small little giveaways, 15 minutes will suffice, and for bigger giveaways of a lot of misc codes, three hours will usually suffice.

Maybe it's about time we sat down and made "Waqar's Quest", eh, Dusk Golem? :)

JaseC

Steam is generally going to offer a better experience due to the achievements, auto-updating, and social aspect, but at the same time I appreciate what GOG brings to the table too by providing a large collection of older and DRM-free games without the need for any additional software to run. As often as not though, the offerings between the two are largely similar, and I guess that's a great thing for Steam - to be able to compete with GOG on their own territory, having stuff like Divinity Original Sin release DRM-free on Steam as well (and ironic that some people don't even realize it, like mentioned earlier about people being oblivious to Steam having a large collection of DRM-free games on it).

You're thinking of Dragon Commander. Original Sin is currently tethered to the client, but presumably this will change once the game leaves Early Access and is released on GOG.

Kyougar

Started Eschalon Book I yesterday (got it here from a generous Gaffer).
Played it two hours, decent Fallout1/Fallout2 experience (gameplaywise)
Just the movement is a little bit awkward.

JaseC

Did the badges page change for everyone else? It's not showing cards or crafting options.

I don't have a full set, so no crafting option because there shouldn't be one, but I am seeing cards.

Minsc

Gold Member
CDPR can be sloppy, though. I couldn't get Baldur's Gate to run beyond the opening cutscene and Google lead me to the solution of installing the patch that moves the game to the engine of the sequel because the original doesn't like Win7 (and presumably Win8).

The original Baldur's Gate definitely likes Win7 just fine, sounds like a pretty uncommon issue, imo. Never heard of it crashing after the intro, at least I'd say it's a rarer problem to experience. Upgrading to the BG2 engine is not a bad thing either way, it's how many people prefer to play it.

But one good thing about GOG is they have a great support system in place, even if it's not the quickest. AFAIK, they will fully refund anything that is broken on your hardware (assuming it meets the listed requirements), so there's no worry for risk of losing money.

You're thinking of Dragon Commander. Original Sin is currently tethered to the client, but presumably this will change once the game leaves Early Access and is released on GOG.

I read Original Sin will be DRM-free on Steam as well when it hits final release... but i wasn't aware it was tethered like you say for the alpha/beta, though it makes sense it would be.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Did the badges page change for everyone else? It's not showing cards or crafting options.

its super wonky lately, 80% of the time I press badges it takes me to my Profile page, not my actual badge page, which is SUPER annoying because I cant remember which games till have cards (or what new ones do)

Tizoc

That's why I replayed the levels on Easy, just to blitz through them mindlessly for achievements.

I have an ODC issue where if I'm replaying a game for cleaning up collectables and it has a scoring mechanic or offers you Upgrade points upon finishing a stage...where I just have to finish a stage XD.

user237

Choosing between GOG and Steam is always one of the least favorite gaming decisions of mine, lol.

I'm using GOG for games that are actually good old games, especially RPGs. I have all the Might and Magics, the D&D bundle, Fallout 1 and 2, Ultima, etc on GOG.

I feel this works better for me because they are all grouped together on the same service, and those games wouldn't really benefit from Steam features anyway.

On one hand, I want to finish Dark Souls 2 so I can get back to playing some current games for Playfire Rewards.

On the other, I don't want it to end. There's always NG+, but I never get the same flutters from it. The PvP has been fantastic in this one, though, so there's always that.

On the third hand, if Saorise is going to be replaced, there should be a 2 week period of mournful avatars. 40s being poured out, cry evrytim, etc.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh Splatter is finally coming out on Steam, today even. its been in quite a few bundles

Salsa

they released a new trailer for Night in the Woods to announce it's also coming to PS4 (so far it was just PC and Mac)

photo-main.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8109dIuc-bo

kept an eye since the kickstarter, looks real good

Molly.gif

JaseC

But one good thing about GOG is they have a great support system in place, even if it's not the quickest. AFAIK, they will fully refund anything that is broken on your hardware (assuming it meets the listed requirements), so there's no worry for risk of losing money.

Yeah, support is definitely a key area that Valve is gradually falling further and further behind in, which is ironic considering Gabe regularly speaks about how Valve's development philosophy has always been founded upon the idea of improving the customer's experience.

Edit: As for the Baldur's Gate portion that I forgot to put back into this post, I should give the game another try sans patch. Perhaps it'll agree more with Win8.1.

Grief.exe

After the last few GOG sales, I have a pretty solid library over there going forward. Enough RPGs to last me hundreds of hours if I need.

The original Baldur's Gate definitely likes Win7 just fine, sounds like a pretty uncommon issue, imo. Never heard of it crashing after the intro, at least I'd say it's a rarer problem to experience. Upgrading to the BG2 engine is not a bad thing either way, it's how many people prefer to play it.

That is a great buyer's protection philosophy to have.

Not only am I secure in my payment, but I also know that they are motivated to keep all their games up to date on modern hardware.

HoosTrax

Is there a definitive release date for Divinity Original Sin yet? I tried looking for it in the community hub, but didn't find any stickied threads from the developers mentioning it.

Sounds really tempting by all accounts, but I don't want to buy it before release and risk getting my achievements reset once it goes gold.

Hesemonni

Banned
Here goes something:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Hard Reset Extended Edition -- MB-1AC1E109534F7A01 - Taken by S1n1st3r
Zeno Clash 2 -- MB-0866EA8160085ACC - Taken by nightstorm

JaseC

installing, wonder if it'll let me play

It should work just fine -- unlike Gunz 2, there's no restricted countries list applied to the app (SteamDB doesn't receive info regarding store page availability, so "This item is currently unavailable in your region" doesn't necessarily mean anything).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yeah, support is definitely a key area that Valve is gradually falling further and further behind in, which is ironic considering Gabe regularly speaks about how Valve's development philosophy has always been founded upon the idea of improving the customer's experience.

Saying that's what they're doing, and actually doing it, are two separate things obviously.

Though to their credit, I've seen a few things crop up lately on Steam that are customer-centric changes being made to the store. Like market prices for inventory items
you're welcome. :)
, changes to the marketplace filters, and even adding "Early Access Review" labels where appropriate. All said, I think I've seen more positive changes to the Steam site in the last 3 months than I have in the last 3 years.

But I agree that they definitely could (and should) be doing a lot more, especially when it comes to customer service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom