• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Machines, final Steam Controller, new living room devices, and SteamVR at GDC

Kurdel

Banned
No idea on the former.

The account is real, or at least that would be the explanation for the Valve employees following it and the recent post. Was only just created 5 min ago

Ok that's conforting.

I am always skeptical of single source press releases, even if it's a page that's seems to be on Steam.

Ok that's conforting.

I am always skeptical of single source press releases, even if it's a page that's seems to be on Steam.

Valve sent out an email to the press around 3PM PST today, and all the major sites are running the story if you have doubts.

rjinaz

I've been waiting for a GDC thread!

So much hype. Biggest GDC in....forever. I think we need a one-stop-shop for GDC, but this'll do until then.

Coming to GDC:
* Steam Machines, Steam Controller, SteamOS .... Valve's vision for the future
* Facebook brings Oculus Rift (rumored?) .... is 2015 the year of the consumer release?
* Microsoft, Windows 10, and Xbox One .... might we see PC-to-XB1 streaming revealed?
* DirectX 12
* OpenGL

Don't forget Sony and their Morpheus.

Nzyme32

And john carmack's annual keynote address about the state og technology will be at gdc this year.

Hololense will be at gdc as well, microsoft is unveiling the sdk.

Krej, can you explain what SteamVR does within Steam? I'm wondering if I'm reading this correctly

Mrbob

SteamVR? Wonder if that is hardware or software.

Genuine question, who is the audience for the steam controller?

Me. I built a home theater PC and have been waiting for this controller to play mouse driven games on my TV. Specifically those of the strategy variety.

People need to bare in mind the wording - SteamVR Hardware System

SteamVR is an API for other VR HMDs and hardware (i think). So it may be something that works with all of them. It is unlikely to be a HMD

Not quite. "Hardware system" implies that it is clearly a product, and SteamVR from what I've read is not an API (Valve and Oculus have been working with Khronos to make OpenGL next that API), it's their VR-dedicated version of the Steam UI.

Krejlooc

Banned
Not quite. "Hardware system" implies that it is clearly a product, and SteamVR from what I've read is not an API (Valve and Oculus have been working with Khronos to make OpenGL next that API), it's their VR-dedicated version of the Steam UI.

Valve announced a vr api last dev days, they detailed and outlined it at joe ludwig's lecture. It is going to be "the direct x of vr headsets." It unifies headset development. 1 program working with many separate headsets.

It is called steamworks vr. It is a vr input api. Opengl is a graphics api.

It is called steamworks vr. It is a vr input api. Opengl is a graphics api.

So SteamworksVR and SteamVR are different things? You'd definitely be more equipped for explaining than I.

That or the reporters are taking some real liberties with the term "interface"

Anion

I cant wait to see what they got

Steam-Machines.jpg

Thats a lot of speakers...

jelly

I wonder if the Steam controller will get good official support, 360 controller has done well and MS will be pushing the new one. Hope they play nice.

WillyFive

I wonder if the Steam controller will get good official support, 360 controller has done well and MS will be pushing the new one. Hope they play nice.

If Valve can make it just as big a part of their service as the Steam Overlay, then sure. Especially if the controller delivers in it's promises of being lightyears more capable than traditional controllers.

Krejlooc

Banned
So SteamworksVR and SteamVR are different things? You'd definitely be more equipped for explaining than I.

That or the reporters are taking some real liberties with the term "interface"

I honestly have no idea what steam vr refers to. Their api is steamworks vr, and there is the "steam vr frontend" but steam vr, by itself? No clue.

JJD

I wonder how the controller is going to be. Maybe this is what will bring me into PC gaming (I know you can use Xbox controllers on PC).

Krejlooc

Banned

The steam controller, in legacy mode, is recognized by your device manager as a literal keyboard and mouse. In fact, you can use it on anything that supports usb keyboard or mice, even if steam doesnt run on it. Ive used it on a windows 98 pc, ive used it on my ps3, ive even used it on my dreamcas5 with a usb->ps/2 adapter. Ive even used it on a smartphone.

It is quite literally a universal controller.

I've been waiting for a GDC thread!

So much hype. Biggest GDC in....forever. I think we need a one-stop-shop for GDC, but this'll do until then.

Coming to GDC:
* Steam Machines, Steam Controller, SteamOS .... Valve's vision for the future
* Facebook brings Oculus Rift (rumored?) .... is 2015 the year of the consumer release?
* Microsoft, Windows 10, and Xbox One .... might we see PC-to-XB1 streaming revealed?
* DirectX 12
* OpenGL

Don't forget some hololens goodness

The steam controller, in legacy mode, is recognized by your device manager as a literal keyboard and mouse. In fact, you can use it on anything that supports usb keyboard or mice, even if steam doesnt run on it. Ive used it on a windows 98 pc, ive used it on my ps3, ive even used it on my dreamcas5 with a usb->ps/2 adapter. Ive even used it on a smartphone.

That reminds me. I've been trying to find something out but couldn't ask anyone until I became a junior member:

(In legacy mode) It will only be recognized as a KB and mouse? It can't emulate a gamepad? That seems kind of crucial. I know the original version sent out to devs pre-Dev Days didn't, but did that change at all afterwards?

jelly

Interesting, didn't imagine it doing that.

Ease of use and learning curve will be important.

Krejlooc

Banned
That reminds me. I've been trying to find something out but couldn't ask anyone until I became a junior member:

(In legacy mode) It will only be recognized as a KB and mouse? It can't emulate a gamepad? That seems kind of crucial. I know the original version sent out to devs pre-Dev Days didn't, but did that change at all afterwards?

It can also send xinput (i.e. xbox 360 input).

That requires steam be present, though (as that uses the steamworks api).

Great to see you're positive on the controller, krej. I can't wait to try it myself.

Wonder if living room devices means a cheap apple tv like streaming box

Which is exactly what I want. I have a 2013 macbook air connected right now because I didn't have any other real options

gafneo

Banned
Wonder if living room devices means a cheap apple tv like streaming box

Which is exactly what I want. I have a 2013 macbook air connected right now because I didn't have any other real options

Apple TV is basically a console in the making. They will release one every year until it has graphics that rival the major systems. Microsoft will use Window 10 to be their XBx/ PC for living rooms and mobile. Steam is basically a Lynx so it all goes full circle. Apple vs MS vs Lynx. Sony, Nintendo, and Android will all stagger with their lack of polished OS's and become obsolete brands for gaming.

Apple TV is basically a console in the making. They will release one every year until it has graphics that rival the major systems. Microsoft will use Window 10 to be their XBx/ PC for living rooms and mobile. Steam is basically a Lynx so it all goes full circle. Apple vs MS vs Lynx. Sony, Nintendo, and Android will all stagger with their lack of polished OS's and become obsolete brands for gaming.

Apple TV will fail for gaming because they trained everyone to expect games to be $1.

Orayn

PC towers, building, system crashes, OS thats not TV friendly yet, controller support still wonkey, viruses which I always catch anytime I touch a PC

Practically all of that is already addressed by existing living room PCs like the Alienware X51 and Alpha. Future Steam Machines will be incremental improvements on those, not a complete revolution.

PC towers, building, system crashes, OS thats not TV friendly yet, controller support still wonkey, viruses which I always catch anytime I touch a PC

I sympathize with you on that, because after a long day at work I want to play video games but end up crapping out because I don't want to deal with Windows. Lol at system crashes and viruses though, you have to go out of your way to get those.

Top Bottom