• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Machines, final Steam Controller, new living room devices, and SteamVR at GDC

gafneo

Banned
I sympathize with you on that, because after a long day at work I want to play video games but end up crapping out because I don't want to deal with Windows. Lol at system crashes and viruses though, you have to go out of your way to get those.
I'm too wreckles. Always tempted to visit virus infested sites way too much. I download a lot of roms and pirated adobe software. Theres a site called cgperisa that gave me a virus so hard, I couldn't access my desktop.

The controller is going to be so amazing for mouse-heavy games that give me wrist pain. Can't wait to play EU4 and CK2 with it.

I'm too wreckles. Always tempted to visit virus infested sites way too much. I download a lot of roms and pirated adobe software. Theres a site called cgperisa that gave me a virus so hard, I couldn't access my desktop.
Pirates aren't looked too kindly on in these parts. Just a friendly heads up.

kudoboi

what makes you think your habits will change by getting a steam machine?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Didn't they say they weren't interested in VR hardware?

Valve's had its own in-house hardware since it began working on VR, but, yeah, it did previously say that there was no intention to release said hardware to the public.

Grief.exe

PC towers, building, system crashes, OS thats not TV friendly yet, controller support still wonkey, viruses which I always catch anytime I touch a PC

PC thread on GAF? They come out of the woodwork.

Steam OS locks you into big picture mode.

You can get out of the Big Picture mode by simply going into the settings. If you've been pirating software (which isn't allowed for discussion here really) in the past I doubt a settings page will be that big of a deterrent.

Me? Maybe?

I really don't care for the current consoles offerings and I'm not going to spend 60 bucks on a new controller. If the pad feels good and is a reasonable price, I'll bite.

That's the problem I see. It'll have to be different and integral enough to the Steam platform that consumers feel like they need it. Having 1:1 tracking pads will be a big deal but I don't know if it'll be enough for people to step away from the controllers they're already using or even KB+M.

Backlogger

I don't really care about the VR initiatives out there as of yet, but I am more interested to see the controller and what their Steam machine might look like.

I can't tell what's worse: your cavalier attitude toward piracy or the fact that you can't spell reckless.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I wasn't expecting the VR hardware to actually get a public release, so I'm glad they changed their mind.

Also I'll bet purchasing the controller/VR set gets you in game stuff. It's time CS:GO got promo items.

Oh man, next week is gonna be great with all the stuff they are gonna talk about. DX 12, glNext, W10, Steam peripherals, VR and more... Can't wait!

USC-fan

Banned
Killer app for me would be a cheap hdmi steam stick. I want something like vitatv that can stream games to my tvs from my main pc.

That just works and cost under $99.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

This is definitely a wreckles post. It is full of wreckles.

Genio88

I still can't see the utility od these sream machine, i think my PC which i assemble by myself, with Windows and steam client plua xbox one controller is way better

EVIL

Edit: SteamVR .... could mean anything LOL
From their website http://store.steampowered.com/universe/
With the introduction of SteamVR hardware, Valve is actively seeking VR content creators. Are you a developer or publisher interested in experiencing the new SteamVR hardware? We’ll be giving scheduled VR demos during the week of GDC, March 4th-6th, 2015, at Moscone Center in San Francisco.

Interested in trying the SteamVR Dev Kit?
Space is limited – schedule your demo today!

Roshin

I'm too wreckles.

Wreckless_Eric_LP.jpg

patapuf

I still can't see the utility od these sream machine, i think my PC which i assemble by myself, with Windows and steam client plua xbox one controller is way better

You will be able to build a steam machine yourself.

My impression is that "steam machine" is mostly a marketing term and is used to promote Valves efforts into making steam living room friendly.

Something like "hooking up you PC to a TV is really easy! Steam does it almost by itelf.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
In before people complain about the Steam controller without knowing it's audience.

Really looking forward to seeing the final design. As someone who would like to play certain PC games on the TV without using a wireless KB&M, this seems like a godsend.
Despite having many opportunities at conventions, I don't think Valve has let the general public get their hands on the thing. I honestly don't know what to expect.

MRORANGE

Not sure why steam has to be a console now, maybe they realised PCs are a dead end and this is a way to capitalise on gaming consoles success.

Linkup

Seems like CloudHead games already have a Dev kit for SteamVR. Looks like a two piece dev kit. Can't say for sure it's Valve's input + HMD, but it's related to GDC and VR. It could be a Sony VR Dev kit though, fits just as well.

A Steam VR machine bundled with controller and HMD?

ekim

Hm... I'm curious about the SteamVR system. The Steam Machines are meant to be rather small and thus not packing GPUs that would be appropriate for a proper VR experience.
I don't know but these 2 products don't match (yet)

Seanspeed

Banned
Hm... I'm curious about the SteamVR system. The Steam Machines are meant to be rather small and thus not packing GPUs that would be appropriate for a proper VR experience.
Define 'proper VR experience'?

I think its easy to forget that VR isn't just gonna be all about high end, ultramodern games in virtual reality. A Note 4 can do respectable VR. So can a lower/mid end Steam machine/PC.

After using SteamOS for a couple months I'm kinda over that dream. The steam controller though? I can't wait to grab one; working well with pre-xinput games is a huge selling point for me.

Sendou

We already had prototypes that supported two full size GPU's back when Steam Machines were first introduced. Valve itself had a prototype with one GTX Titan in it. That prototype in particular wasn't as small as Wii U but not too big either considering the current consoles on the market.

Also what Seanspeed said.

rjinaz

From saying they had no interest in making hardware to soliciting interest in dev kits. What's with the flip? Tired of losing people to Oculus?

I don't know, maybe they just weren't sure if VR had a chance of becoming a market success or not. There are some negative aspects people will need to ignore for that to happen (like many here like to point out over and over again) like being cut off from reality and having to wear a "helmet". I don't think those are deal breakers but obviously some do.

Now perhaps they see the way the wind is blowing and are convinced VR will have success thanks to the talent and companies in support of it? When the next big thing happens, you don't want to be left out of it.

But let's see what Valve even has first. Maybe it's not even a headset, who knows.

Top Bottom