• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2017 - Praeying for Dino Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kssio_Aug

Tempted to grab the Bayo + Vanquish deal but I know nothing about Vanquish.

Someone sell me on it!

There was a bug that, if you put both Vanquish and Bayonetta on the cart, you would receive 25% discount in each game, not only Vanquish. You should try!

Someone sell me on it!
It's boring, is pretty visually monotonous, and has goofy systems that try to dissuade you from using your options. But there might be a QTE gif posted or something that makes it look fun.

I feel like I might be the morningbus of Vanquish because I can't not take the opportunity to rag on it. At least the pacing is pretty consistent I guess?

So just finished seeing the Kickstarter video for Blasphemous...

I haven't pledge to a Kickstarter for some time now...I think I'm gonna have to break that. The developer for the game made The Last Door games.
That is impressively unsettling.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

Someone sell me on it!

You slide around on your knees shooting at robots, mechs, Russians, Russian Robots, and Russian mechs. It has a button dedicated to flicking your cigarette away. There is a reason for that button.

Momentary

Banned

I haven't pledge to a Kickstarter for some time now...I think I'm gonna have to break that. The developer for the game made The Last Door games.

e15649b582c98a3deb516b13a1e9d767_original.gif

The only thing off putting about this whole thing is it having stretch goals. Other than that, I feel like this is a solid game to back so back it I will. The combat looks great.

zkylon

zkylewd
vanquish and bayonetta are two really good action games in the vein of what you'd expect from platinum, very stylish and over the top and with a lot of depth if you feel like getting really into them. they also have really fun stories and good amounts of replayability, they're both really good games

---

deadly premonition is a very janky game with a lot of heart that deserves to be experienced in some way or another. it's just a really good story with lots of likeable characters and very entertaining goofiness mixed with a pretty thrilling murder mystery. so yeah it's twin peaks but more japanese and low budget, but it totally works even if it's kind of a nightmare to play.

i mean it's not THAT bad but it's certainly not good. watching let's plays of it is a good idea if you're feeling unsure about it, since this is a game you kind of want to play with someone. it just makes the silly stuff and the mystery a lot more entertaining if you share it with someone

---

binary domain has nothing to do with vanquish or any of the other games. it's an ok shooter with a really fun set of characters and some genuinely satisfying moments, although i don't think it's as good as people here say. it doesn't overstay its welcome and it's definitely not bad, so it's worth your time if you ever feel like playing it

/end

e15649b582c98a3deb516b13a1e9d767_original.gif
Yeah, been following this for a while. This post in the 2016 GOTY Voting thread sold me on The Last Door series, and if those games are any indication, they'll going to nail the storytelling to match the visuals in Blasphemous
5. The Last Door Season 2 ; Don't let the 4-bit graphics fool you – this is one of the most atmospheric and engrossing games I've ever played. A follow-up to a point-and-click adventure from 2014, this game sees you further uncovering the occult mysteries of the first game. Set in a late 19th century England this game is full of mystery, parapsychology and interdimensional travel. A masterfully crafted game, exquisitely paced and directed, the sound design is fantastic, as is the brilliant soundtrack. The story follows on from the first game but manages to expand upon and wrap up what was left dangling without falling into any of the trappings of bad sequel writing. A rare thing indeed.

Anteater

Someone sell me on it!

Vanquish is a fast paced tps with pretty decent encounters, the game has incredible controls so it's as fun as you want it to be if you go out of your way to learn its mechanics, the game shares similar design choices as other good action games so you'll likely enjoy it if you love character action games such as dmc, but it's still mainly a shooter, you can literally listen to sound cues and evade most if not every attacks in the game, including lasers from the last boss, it's glorious

the base weapons are also pretty fun to use, you have a gravity gun that knock down enemies and is good for crowd control, there's a chainsaw gun that shoot out blades to dismember enemies with a melee that doesn't overheat your suit, the game is full of details where enemies will react differently when you cut off their limbs, the game is fun and give you a lot of options to mess with, just as long as you try not to play it like a cover shooter

negative for vanquish is that it's a shorter game than bayonetta, and god hard is crazy hard and forces you to use the cover a lot more which kind of undermined its cool combat system, and there isn't a difficulty between hard and god hard

Looks like Stellaris has hit 1 million owners a couple weeks after its 1 year anniversary. Well done to Paradox.

Combo breaker.

I would have been more willing to buy it if I didn't know about the gazillion of dlc that will follow and yes as someone who wants the full game it will cost me way too much. In CK2 the number of times I acquired the "complete" edition is ridiculous. I love paradox games but the dlc are way too much.

I'm just salty because I wanna play Stellaris so bad :(

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I would have been more willing to buy it if I didn't know about the gazillion of dlc that will follow and yes as someone who wants the full game it will cost me way too much. In CK2 the number of times I acquired the "complete" edition is ridiculous. I love paradox games but the dlc are way too much.

Just get the current humble monthly then, at least you will get more value out of it.

Anteater

warhammer 4k space marine is pretty fun but man it's overstaying its welcome

i feel like i've been playing it forever but seems like i'm a little over half way done

edit: by 4k I mean 40k

FLD

Just get the current humble monthly then, at least you will get more value out of it.

Yeah, I've never played a Paradox grand strategy game and even I couldn't resist Stellaris at that price. Kinda wish I'd looked into it a bit more first, though, because apparently it's not turn-based, which makes it significantly less interesting to me lol.

At least I enjoy the "gambling" aspect of maybe getting something good out of the mystery games. Almost every monthly so far this year had at least one secret game that made me either happy to have gotten it or regret not getting it.

Hektor

Should I buy Deadly Premonition? It looks bad.

Imagine this is inofficially twin peaks the videogame, ripping many elements off completely without shame.

It features incredibly tacked on zombie shooting passages that have nothing to do with the plot and only exists because the publisher told them to add shooting to the game.

The car driving can be so janky that it does a triple jump only by taking a normal left or right and the animations of npcs are hilariously awkward.

The game featured real time beardgrowth before Witcher 3 did.

If you don't shower often enough you start smelling and attract flies.

You can die of starvation.

All npcs have an actual life simulated.

The plot and dialogue is genuinely fantastic.

It's janky af but it's one of the most unique, ambitious and enthralling games ive ever played. You can really tell that this game was a labor of love more than anything.

It's kind of hard to recommend the game because simply put its a very, very acquired taste, but it's definitely worth having a look at if you can put up with its issues.

It's the kind of games that's either a 0/10 or 10/10 for you

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
When you get sad about the lack of dinosaur games, just remember

DAiZiVhWAAUr4U6

Saw this earlier today and resisted the urge to put it here.

Uh, you wanna buy my HB Monthly copy? I was thinking about cancelling otherwise.

Auraela

Banned
Id say no to vanquish. It does far to much to try n force u to stop using core mechanics like sliding etc and forcing to cover.

Yea that gif many use for vanquish is great just done expect most game like that. Instead you will keep getting frustrated at not being able too

zkylon

zkylewd
got irillyth dungeon done, finally. one of my least favorite parts of dark souls 3 for sure, those jailer monsters frustrated me so much on my first playthrough. this time it was fairly easy, and yhorm is such a terrible boss fight

some fun bits up next and not that long to finish the game i reckon. i'll try the dlc after i'm done with all the main story bits, i hope it's not that bad

also i did well to switch from my lucerne to the trusty claymore. that thing is so op lol. pretty pleased with my no ranged no magic run, tho i'm still pulling enemies with firebombs/kukri so it's not that difficult. i remember struggling a lot more not using bows in dks1 and 2, so it seems like they made the game a lot less dumb in that way

Id say no to vanquish. It does far to much to try n force u to stop using core mechanics like sliding etc and forcing to cover.

Yea that gif many use for vanquish is great just done expect most game like that. Instead you will keep getting frustrated at not being able too

it's definitely not as empowering as it presents itself to be, but i kind of enjoy it more for that reason

it's a weird game for sure

Hektor

some fun bits up next and not that long to finish the game i reckon. i'll try the dlc after i'm done with all the main story bits, i hope it's not that bad

The first dlc is utterly boring with no redeeming qualities. It's completely free of ideas and amplifies the uninspiredness of the base game by a tenfold. Only the last boss is in any way worth your while.

The worst piece of Souls I've ever played.

The second dlc is really good however

Pixieking

Banned
The first dlc is utterly boring with no redeeming qualities. It's completely free of ideas and amplifies the uninspiredness of the base game by a tenfold. Only the last boss is in any way worth your while.

The worst piece of Souls I've ever played.

The second dlc is really good however

That's... an extreme point of view.

I think it's good. Not great, but enjoyable enough. What's frustrating is that there's some good ideas there that could've been amazing if they'd fleshed them out.

That said, reading the OT, I appear to be one of the few people to 1) have this point of view, and 2) not find the last boss particularly interesting or hard.

By contrast, I felt The Ringed City was frustratingly hard in places, and kinda-boring in others. So, maybe I'm just really unusual with my views. :)

derFeef

Man, something like 15 hours into Nier and I don't think I am even close to finishing the game? Just
got the scanner and need to find 9S' body

Man, something like 15 hours into Nier and I don't think I am even close to finishing the game? Just
got the scanner and need to find 9S' body

Please dont do the mistake thinking that the game is finished after Route A.

Route A=Act 1
Route B=Act 2
Route C,D=Act 3

kionedrik

hmm, i suppose there's still hope after all. the gorgeous art has always made me want to get it, but bastion left such a bad taste. if the gameplay really is more fun than it was in bastion (which surely couldn't get any worse), i think i'll give it a try...

... next steam sale that is, it's 4 bucks pretty frequently

Transistor is possibly one of the top 5 games of the last decade. It's one of the few games where I finished the game and immediately started a NG+ run and finished it. Even though the story is fantastic the gameplay alone is able to carry that game forward.

Someone sell me on it!

Vanquish:

Some negatives:
- It is basically just another shooter, the only hook is that you can slide around.
- To slide around, you have to use all four triggers at the same time, so you need to play it with some sort of claw grip
- There is no story
- You are just killing robots so no enemies have any particular personality or do anything interesting

Some positives:
+ It is only about 4 hours long so you'll finish it before you really realise how bad it is and in ten years time you can sign a petition to get it ported to some other platform because it is "amazing".

I don't rate it much.

Yeah, been following this for a while. This post in the 2016 GOTY Voting thread sold me on The Last Door series, and if those games are any indication, they'll going to nail the storytelling to match the visuals in Blasphemous

Looks pretty cool. The #1 rule of KS is you don't KS a game, but if other people do I'll check it out if it is made.

Anteater

again vanquish is a 7hr game and the ingame clock also doesn't time all the replay when you die, etc, i also doubt you can beat the game in 4hrs on its highest difficulty

Wok

Steam keys for Fidel won't be provided to Humble subscribers, as it is not the same game as the sneak-peek. 😰

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom