• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2017 - Praeying for Dino Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron D.

Crossed the 15 hour mark with Trails in the Sky: FC over the weekend and I absolutely love it.

And I'm not even a JRPG guy!

In an ironic twist of fate it was exactly the 15 hour mark when I dropped Witcher 3 out of sheer boredom a month or so back.

And I totally am a WRPG guy!

Orgen

Yeah, I sure do love reading about how Spec Ops is all about the meta commentary on video games. I remember reading a post somewhere where the poster said that the developers deliberately made a mechanically mediocre game because it was supposed to prove some greater point about shooters. Like, the developers could have done it better, but they made a conscious design decision to implement sub par mechanics to prove a point. That was great. And then there's this implicit accusation that you were too dumb to appreciate this mediocre game that was actually brilliant because it was deliberately mediocre. That's some emperor's new clothes horseshit but sure, let's go with that.

I read a lot that spec ops is mechanically mediocre (or that the gameplay is subpar) but I disagree, I think it's very competent gameplay wise. Why do you think is mediocre in these aspects? Which 3rd person shooters do you think are better mechanically besides Vanquish and Gears of War? (I haven't played binary domain yet).

The first part of a three part series of blog posts on what Valve is doing on the Steam store, and why has been posted. This one explains why curation is never coming back, and reveals that a "here's why we're recommending this game to you" feature will go live later today. Next blog post will be about how people are abusing Steam features and how Valve will stop them, and the third will be the big Steam Direct reveal.

Definitely thread worthy on gaming side, for people who haven't suffered Mod Wrath.

Ascheroth

The first part of a three part series of blog posts on what Valve is doing on the Steam store, and why has been posted. This one explains why curation is never coming back, and reveals that a "here's why we're recommending this game to you" feature will go live later today. Next blog post will be about how people are abusing Steam features and how Valve will stop them, and the third will be the big Steam Direct reveal.

Definitely thread worthy on gaming side, for people who haven't suffered Mod Wrath.

Megaton. Can't wait to see this.

Got an email today from Keymailer, asking me for keys for Super Army 3 already. lol

Obviously, my first thought is "YEAH NO", but reddit and a few other forums seem to think they are legit. Keymailer says they get shit to streamers.

Gonna pass on this one until I get more info.

Wok

Adventure Time: Finn and Jake Investigations is on sale 70% off during the weekly:

Past Adventure Time games have been pulled from sale, and this is the steepest discount the game has ever gotten.

dixit Stump.

Looks like it's live.

So how do I get free refunds every week?

Edit: Ah, I missed the bold highlight referring to recommendations. Meh.

dex3108

For me personally those changes mean nothing. One big issue that i as customer have from small market with low yearly income is still regional pricing. But because this is small market both Valve and publishers simply don't care.

Ascheroth

Okay, this new feature is pretty awesome:
5aHcroP.png
k7YxRSN.png

First one is I am Setsuna (wasn't in my queue), second one Pillars of Eternity (is in my queue).
Very informative.

Knurek

I've just finished Lara Croft Murders Jesus aka Bow Massacre Simulator 2016 aka Why Is There So Much Shooting In My Tomb Raiding Game aka My Lara Croft Can't Be This Cute.

Game 26 of the year, halfway through with GAF challenge.

You know what that means... Kevin Time.
header.jpg

Wok

5aHcroP.png
k7YxRSN.png

First one is I am Setsuna (wasn't in my queue), second one Pillars of Eternity (is in my queue).
Very informative.

Where did you get this?

Edit: Ah, on each store page indeed! It does not have anything to say about Adventure Time.

7us0lzJ.png

Got an email today from Keymailer, asking me for keys for Super Army 3 already. lol

Obviously, my first thought is "YEAH NO", but reddit and a few other forums seem to think they are legit. Keymailer says they get shit to streamers.

Gonna pass on this one until I get more info.
As I understand it, Keymailer is a side company of the Yogscast. Certainly, it's a name I have heard of for key distribution. That said, I would definitely not trust any cold emailers.

yoshizzle

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Clickdraw Clicker -- MB-34C2221D555FDE62 - Taken by Purkake4

I read a lot that spec ops is mechanically mediocre (or that the gameplay is subpar) but I disagree, I think it's very competent gameplay wise. Why do you think is mediocre in these aspects? Which 3rd person shooters do you think are better mechanically besides Vanquish and Gears of War? (I haven't played binary domain yet).

I played Spec Ops five years ago so I can't remember any specific examples to explain my feelings towards the game. All I remember is that when I finished the game I thought it was below average, not much fun to play (by design, apparently) and that the story was quite predictable (because Heart of Darkness, obviously). I didn't outright hate the game or anything, just thought it wasn't very good. I did like the desert setting for the game though, as that's a fairly unique thing it had going for it.

I'm not singling out this game either. I played Homefront around the same time and I really disliked that game but I couldn't tell you a single specific reason for that all these years later. I played Binary Domain and I loved that game but again, aside from a couple of memorable characters, I wouldn't be able to tell you why I liked it so much. Maybe my memory is just rubbish.

---

Looking at the Steam recommendations, it looks like all those idled games are going haunt me forever with what Steam ends up recommending based on other games I've 'played'

Arthea

how do you see those recommendations? my store looks exactly like before...

I've just finished Lara Croft Murders Jesus aka Bow Massacre Simulator 2016 aka Why Is There So Much Shooting In My Tomb Raiding Game aka My Lara Croft Can't Be This Cute.

Game 26 of the year, halfway through with GAF challenge.

You know what that means... Kevin Time.
http://cdn.edgecast.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/436670/header.jpg?t=1493834629[/IMG[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure you gonna like it, it's such a nice game

Hektor

New changes sound neat, don't see anything negative coming out of it, so i'm all for a bit more transparency

5aHcroP.png
k7YxRSN.png

Very informative.

The user reviews and it being on your wishlsit is extremely redundant information tho

how do you see those recommendations? my store looks exactly like before...

They're to the right from the purhcase buttons

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Oui jshackles, unfortunately this update makes Steam Browser not load game pages at all if Enhanced Steam is turned on. I wish you luck with what I imagine is a tough fixing process.

Hektor

Oui jshackles, unfortunately this update makes Steam Browser not load game pages at all if Enhanced Steam is turned on. I wish you luck with what I imagine is a tough fixing process.

Everything works fine for me with enhanced steam.

Maybe it's a browser thing or related to a specific option?

Dusk Golem

Everything works fine for me with enhanced steam.

Maybe it's a browser thing or related to a specific option?

It might be, I saw some other people on the post mentioning Game Store pages wouldn't load but a white screen for them, I was having the same issue but disabling Enhanced Steam made it work again for me.

Teggy

Is anything new on the main store page? It looks the same to me.

I've never heard of "Bear With Me" but I find the name pleasantly silly given the subject matter.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I'm not able to duplicate this issue, are you on Chrome or Firefox? Also is it a specific game that has issues, or is it all of them?

Dusk Golem

I'm not able to duplicate this issue, are you on Chrome or Firefox? Also is it a specific game that has issues, or is it all of them?

Chrome, and it's every Game Store Page as far as I could tell, every other page worked fine but store pages. I saw no one here seemed to be having issue, but some on Steam's page were mentioning the same issue I was having, the store pages were working fine in the Steam client, so I turned off Enhanced Steam and it did work.

NOTABLY, turning it back on did fix whatever issue I was having but I was 100% not working for a couple hours since the update hit until I turned it off.

I played more Expeditions: Viking (this time with the latest patch, 1.0.2) and it seems to have smoothed out my issues. The loading time on Ribe, the first big town in the game, went from 5 minutes to 2-ish, which is terrible but omg I love that it's playable again.

I wish more games had persistent injuries and camping and stuff. Also XP for quest completion, not kills. It adds a lot of tension to battles, plus makes jumping into them much more tactical.

Zeknurn

Steam recommending basically every random game just because I have played Stellaris explains a lot about their recommendation algorithm.

Like how can you get to Forts from Stellaris?

Steam recommending basically every random game just because I have played Stellaris explains a lot about their recommendation algorithm.

I got the exact same recommendation for the same reason, lol.

It's probably a comparison of tags that decides it. Strategy is the big one. It's how you get a lot of weird recommendations, particularly for more niche/obscure genres. There's no granularity, so "strategy" is RTS, MOBA, 4X, and anything inbetween.

New changes sound neat, don't see anything negative coming out of it, so i'm all for a bit more transparency

The user reviews and it being on your wishlsit is extremely redundant information tho

They're to the right from the purhcase buttons

Yeah, the new features so far are great.

Phawx

I would say that if you liked Worms and Bridge Constructor, you'd love Forts.

Lain

Damn, then how is Steam ever getting fixed?! Time to switch to Origin I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom