• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2017 - Praeying for Dino Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's very frustrating to me that I can't lump my friends into "People whose taste I care about" and "People whose taste I don't care about". I normally add most people from GAF who add me, but it really dilutes the relevance of friends recommendations when they're from people who have nothing in common with my taste.

I did it, guys. I conquered SSR's sausage tower.

The trick is to break the puzzle down in stages and everything will eventually fit smoothly.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Ascheroth

You know, I've written a huge ass recommendation for Trails for the Steam thread, I might as well just use it as a Review for Steam as well. (Yes, I'm totally lazy when it comes to reviews, I have a grand total of 2 (Xanadu Next, House in Fata Morgana)... which on the other hand also means that if I review something, I really like it.)

It's very frustrating to me that I can't lump my friends into "People whose taste I care about" and "People whose taste I don't care about". I normally add most people from GAF who add me, but it really dilutes the relevance of friends recommendations when they're from people who have nothing in common with my taste.
Yeah, this is something that absolutely needs to be possible.
Have you writen Gabe an email yet? :p

dave is ok

aztek is ok
This post is about anime, isn't it.

MUnited83

For you.
hitman7flzam.png

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Surely Jshackles could write you a script that checks a friend invite's playtime in Darkest of Days.

Anything greater than 0 should be an autoaccept.

Nzyme32

Only just read the Steam Blog post and looked at the details for games I've been recommended.

As I suggested before, turns out I'm right, the vast majority of the failings in my own recommendations come directly from using my "steam friends" game preferences / wishlisting etc as a metric for games I would enjoy - which is ridiculous.

I have friends I know well in person, whose tastes in games are very different to my own, and equally this seems even more pronounced with "internet" friends where taste can vary absurdly and be polar opposite (at least in my case), though these are generally people I still like and indeed on occasion point me in the direction of great games - and of course there are plenty of "internet" friends via SteamGAF that have awesome taste.

I should be in control of how these preferences are decided

- I should be able to dictate which friends have no bearing on games I might like
- I should be able to dictate which games a friend might like that I have no interest in and thus should have no bearing on my own algorithm derived personalisation
- I should be able to dynamically challenge the algorithm and point to exactly where it is wrong and for such action to be prevented in future

On the one hand perhaps it is my fault that I accept friends on Steam that tend to be GAF folk who I have little connection with. On the other hand, accepting such friends doesn't mean I regularly communicate or have anything in common with them as much as I might enjoy playing with one person in a game regularly, but have absolutely no favourability to their preference in games beyond that

To me, this seems absurdly obvious whether regarding gaming or just about anything in life. Not really sure who's idea it was to use this as a metric

Aaron D.

I did it, guys. I conquered SSR's sausage tower.

The trick is to break the puzzle down in stages and everything will eventually fit smoothly.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Good job, man.

The Tower really separates the men from the boys.

You could walk away from the game right now and still consider yourself a Sausage Master.

Sike.

Later levels will still destroy you.

Legit congrats!

Surely Jshackles could write you a script that checks a friend invite's playtime in Darkest of Days.

Anything greater than 0 should be an autoaccept.
Oh, that's a name i haven't heard in a looooong time. Too bad that this game didn't had any discount at all, i recently bought it for myself because of new gifts policy, but it was still very expensive for 2009 game. Still need to play it someday, i was replaying my 2007 backlog before all those new 2017 games suddenly released.

Speaking of new games. Just started playing Bayonetta for the first time, and this game is damn good, love DMC-style games, and it controls well with keyboard. Though, there is terrible tearing without V-Sync enabled, but that's minor issue

Regginator

Okay, this new feature is pretty awesome:
5aHcroP.png
k7YxRSN.png

First one is I am Setsuna (wasn't in my queue), second one Pillars of Eternity (is in my queue).
Very informative.

That's a great addition! Surprised it's from Valve, for a moment there I thought it was a new Enhanced Steam update.

Hektor

One of the most underappreciated feautres of steam is, how it replaces my cursing with cute, little hearts

vE40Qd5.png

❤❤❤❤❤

Good job, man.

The Tower really separates the men from the boys.

You could walk away from the game right now and still consider yourself a Sausage Master.

Sike.

Later levels will still destroy you.

Legit congrats!

Thanks!

I took a sneak peak at the first levels of the next world and yeah no.. I've had enough sausages for today.

Nzyme32

Also something Steam related I've been wondering for a while.

A lot of the time, I just can't be arsed to write a meaningful "recommendation" but I would be happy to "do a netflix" and simply indicate to Steam / friends that want to know my opinion, whether I liked something or not / would recommend it or not.

As friends, they could simply ask me about it and I'd be more inclined to put effort in to say why, but I think a lot of people simply don't recommend anything because they can't be arsed writing a "review".

This sort of thing could be quite valuable to a system which isn't even concerned about the content of a recommendation but simply if it isn't or not - in which case with more people providing data points for both Steam and their friends, the whole thing becomes more useful - while not having it be connected to the usual "recommendation / review" system, demanding context

Been playing just Battlegrounds lately, hour or so every few days. I still have Bayonetta in line and Stephens Sausage Roll. Gotta find some time to play them. Not sure what I have missed in past few weeks.

edit: oh, Rime is coming out

Ozium

what is this "is this game relevant for you?" shit?

asks me a question, with no means to answer..

I looked up STRAFE and it says similar to heavy bulllets (fair enough) and... PIXEL PUZZLES UNDEAD

wtf?

As friends, they could simply ask me about it and I'd be more inclined to put effort in to say why, but I think a lot of people simply don't recommend anything because they can't be arsed writing a "review".

Pretty much. I'll write full impressions for games in here, but ask me to do it in Steam and I'm like, "why? So everyone can see what kind of games I'm playing?" I know I once wrote a negative review for an early access game that I won in here (because they kept promising things and didn't deliver for months,) and they wrote back to me several times over more months, giving me excuses, telling me that they'd honour a refund, etc. So knowing that reviewing games can open one up to unwanted communication from the developers, that's less incentive.

kagamin

Despite having started FF14 in January, I'm all dolled up in the highest level gear and super excited for Stormblood even now.

I bought a Morpheus (Matrix) and Yoda bobble head Pop because they were on clearance for like $3 or something, and my brother gave me a Fallout Power Armor Pop too. They are okay but I would never bother collecting them or anything but I don't find the thought of them offensive like some people do.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I'm 13 hours in and I like it so far.

I get some weird frame drops in the some areas though but nothing too bad.

Ah to be in your shoes.

Get ready for an amazing journey and if you're anything like me, when you get to the end you won't be able to resist getting the 2nd one. It's a wonderful ride, strap in =)

Kinda tempted to buy Dead Space from GOG just to be rid of SecuRom but then again, I own it on both Steam and Origin already...

edit: apparently no SecuRom on Steam version. Origin stay losing.

gabbo

what is this "is this game relevant for you?" shit?

asks me a question, with no means to answer..

I looked up STRAFE and it says similar to heavy bulllets (fair enough) and... PIXEL PUZZLES UNDEAD

wtf?
Is there a way to turn of recommendations altogether? I'd like that option

Orgen

I played Spec Ops five years ago so I can't remember any specific examples to explain my feelings towards the game. All I remember is that when I finished the game I thought it was below average, not much fun to play (by design, apparently) and that the story was quite predictable (because Heart of Darkness, obviously). I didn't outright hate the game or anything, just thought it wasn't very good. I did like the desert setting for the game though, as that's a fairly unique thing it had going for it.

I'm not singling out this game either. I played Homefront around the same time and I really disliked that game but I couldn't tell you a single specific reason for that all these years later. I played Binary Domain and I loved that game but again, aside from a couple of memorable characters, I wouldn't be able to tell you why I liked it so much. Maybe my memory is just rubbish.

---

Looking at the Steam recommendations, it looks like all those idled games are going haunt me forever with what Steam ends up recommending based on other games I've 'played'

I played the game several years ago too and I found it pretty decent. Not commenting on the story but the gameplay was pretty good: varied weapon selection (and pretty different between them), great set pieces, good gunplay (head shots were satisfying) and a pretty good AI on Fubar difficulty that made you use the environment and several different weapons to get through. Even if it's not Gears of War caliber it has better gunplay than most of the third person shooters that are out there (and I'm including here open world games like GTAV).

Volimar

Are we getting another Elder Scroll or is it just TESO now?
I mean, we got a Fallout, so normally, we'd be getting an TES next...

I'm starting to feel like I need another TES in my life.

We will eventually. Rumors say Valenwood. I'm hoping AkaVIr.

Kadin

I've started noticing lately that Steam will always stop downloading in the >80% range up to around 95% or so. I'll download games blazing fast as usual and then boom, it stops. Is this the game actually installing itself at the latter part because I've never noticed this before. Normally it would go 0-100% consistently. Installing everything to an SSD.

Buraindo

Are we getting another Elder Scroll or is it just TESO now?
I mean, we got a Fallout, so normally, we'd be getting an TES next...

I'm starting to feel like I need another TES in my life.

We know 6 is in development so it can't be THAT far off. There's also some other unannounced projects I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom