• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2017 - Praeying for Dino Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished the main story of Darkarta. (Thanks yoshizzle!) I'll post full impressions once I finish the bonus chapter, but I will say for a first effort from a new company, it's not too bad. It does feel like Artifex Mundi with an Indian flavour. There are some seriously ugly characters (that daughter...dear Lord!) and some shitty achievements, but if they learn from the first game, they could do some good things.

Outlast 2 is honestly one of the best looking games I've played, character models aren't incredible but the lighting effects are out of this world. Don't remember the first being anywhere near the same level of presentation.

Although it's way too fucking dark half the time, so it doesn't always.....shrine through.

well, on the topic of horror games and the "stupid ass ghost / can't defend myself monster" trope, I don't like them because they're no different from knee-high walls being used to impede progress. The rules for them are arbitrary, their actual threat mostly just being a movable wall (with unclear trigger rules), and there is no particular joy involved in avoiding them. You never get to feel clever for having solved a problem, which is kind of what you want games to do, in my opinion.
Give me something physical that I can actively stun, hurt, or even kill, and let the management of that and potential moral fallout be mine to bear. But don't give me a ghost. I ain't afraid of no ghost, I'm just really annoyed by them.

I mean, the reason you can find a Resident Evil scary isn't because you're powerless (which leads to apathy, as described above), it's the uncertainty of limited resources to defend yourself (which leads to fear). Or perhaps I interpret stress as fear, if you want to say I'm wrong on that.

Finished Little Nightmares. Short but I enjoyed it a lot for what it is. I really hope there's gonna be story DLC in the future. I terms of art style, one of my favorite games to see running on the UE4 so far.

Finished most games I wanted to before Trails 3 comes out, I'm ready!

adding to that, Infinite has one of the best campaigns in CoD history(my favorite).
I think IW was fragmented by its mission design, it had less focus and fewer set pieces. And one could only watch fighter jet take off/landing cutscenes so many times. Advance Warfare remains my favorite.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So, Night In The Woods

holy fucking shit Mae is one of the most terrible characters I've seen, the speaking pattern is also cringe-worthy

it's like the worst aspects of Life is Strange only magnified

Games where you can't fight back honestly freak me out the most, and I never stop being scared of being caught and having to run. Siren Blood Curse is the other big non Frictional or Clock Tower esqe game I remember where it was often forced and it was terrifying.

Have there been any big gaming rating controversies in the states as of late or is the media officially past it? Some of the stuff in Outlast 2 is shockingly graphic and they would have had a field day years ago.

Boss Doggie

Mae is great, though she can be a bit irritating, but that's sort of by design.

I'm not really a big fan of "feel bad for me while I do terrible things" type of character, and she comes off as those really annoying hipster-type college reject. Also I really hate the depiction of kindness being seen as either weak or forefront of evil.

Corpekata

Banned
I'm not really a big fan of "feel bad for me while I do terrible things" type of character, and she comes off as those really annoying hipster-type college reject. Also I really hate the depiction of kindness being seen as either weak or forefront of evil.

I mean, she's kinda not that character? Not sure how far you are in but the story and characters around her recognize she's kind of a piece of shit. It's part of her character arc.

You're meant to empathize a bit with her "I don't know what to do with myself" sort of thing, but that's about it.

I'm not sure about that last sentence at all though, I didn't really get anything like that from the game.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Games where you can't fight back honestly freak me out the most, and I never stop being scared of being caught and having to run. Siren Blood Curse is the other big non Frictional or Clock Tower esqe game I remember where it was often forced and it was terrifying.

Have there been any big gaming rating controversies in the states as of late or is the media officially past it? Some of the stuff in Outlast 2 is shockingly graphic and they would have had a field day years ago.

I don't know what would have counted for a full blown moral panic recently. Mass Effect's alien lesbianism was awhile ago. GTA5's torture scene caused a ripple, but I mostly remember perceiving that as folks who play games finding it distasteful. Did Hatred get a console release? Do/did Vita games ever flirt with being refused classification?

Australia mostly seems to be the place to exercise their ratings board these days.

Boss Doggie

her chatter with some random npcs like in the store

and yeah she has that aspect, but I still couldn't really tolerate her behavior

in contrast I like her friend more

Corpekata

Banned
Hatred and creepy Vita games never really broke out of the gaming bubble, and really even GTA V's torture stuff seemed largely gaming focused. I'd say maybe No Russian was the last one because people could misconstrue the level as the game glorifying murdering innocent people and ignored the "undecover agent that doesn't have to do anything" context.

I think the fad's about over really. The media personalities either realized it was fruitless or had children or grandchildren than grew up playing games.

well, on the topic of horror games and the "stupid ass ghost / can't defend myself monster" trope, I don't like them because they're no different from knee-high walls being used to impede progress. The rules for them are arbitrary, their actual threat mostly just being a movable wall (with unclear trigger rules), and there is no particular joy involved in avoiding them. You never get to feel clever for having solved a problem, which is kind of what you want games to do, in my opinion.

Give me something physical that I can actively stun, hurt, or even kill, and let the management of that and potential moral fallout be mine to bear. But don't give me a ghost. I ain't afraid of no ghost, I'm just really annoyed by them.

I mean, the reason you can find a Resident Evil scary isn't because you're powerless (which leads to apathy, as described above), it's the uncertainty of limited resources to defend yourself (which leads to fear). Or perhaps I interpret stress as fear, if you want to say I'm wrong on that.

Yup, this nails it. I don't play horror games due to this. I hate being over-powered by the enemies in such games. While you can fight back in some games, it's usually not the case until way later in the game. And in most horror games I know, resources are pretty rare so I don't really have a choice but to avoid them all or kill them strategically. I couldn't even handle light horror games like The Last of Us.

While in the other hand, some call Bloodborne a horror game, but I never feel terrified playing it. The main reason is because I have the power to overwhelm my enemies, no matter how scary they are and how eerie the places are.

Pixieking

Banned
The Iron Passage is some bullshit.

It's gaming the system, but remember that in Dark Souls 2, enemies stop spawning after around the 14 death mark. For the Iron Passage, I specifically set-out to slowly kill every enemy the required number of times, so that they didn't just over-run me.

Teeth

Outlast 2 has some Bone Tomahawk level gore, christ.

The Outlast 1 DLC has a scene where a male victim has other male parts sewn under his skin, his genitals removed and another man's severed head shoved into his split crotch to simulate a makeshift "birthing". Later, you get to witness the removal of another man's genitals with a circular saw and then see the process started on yourself...in first person.

There is no line anymore.

Bless those French Canadians.

Monooboe

Aaah I am finally cought up, I was weirdly out of synch with you guys, meaning I was always two three days behind reading old post trying to catch up. Had to remind myself whenever I wanted to reply to a post.XD

We are on month five now and I realized my GOTY list thus far is quite sad and not sure I will be able to fill it up with better games this year.XD Right now, Fallout Shelter at first place and ME: Andromeda at the second.

Uzzy

tumblr_ojsdq6q9Ve1sdttu1o9_540.gif

Soon. Kinda annoying that PS4 players get the demo and we don't, but at least we only have a week's delay in getting the game!

dot

The Outlast 1 DLC has a scene where a male victim has other male parts sewn under his skin, his genitals removed and another man's severed head shoved into his split crotch to simulate a makeshift "birthing". Later, you get to witness the removal of another man's genitals with a circular saw and then see the process started on yourself...in first person.

There is no line anymore.

Bless those French Canadians.

sKIwCXe.gif

good lord lol

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
tumblr_ojsdq6q9Ve1sdttu1o9_540.gif

Soon. Kinda annoying that PS4 players get the demo and we don't, but at least we only have a week's delay in getting the game!

Why is the idea of a one armed fighter always so badass?

tumblr_opbbgmHtuk1sz4i32o1_1280.png

GOTY 2017, without a doubt.

It's been a while since a game left me so completely satisfied. Easily nabbed a spot in my all time top faves.

100% spoilers!
The final Emil battle messed me up. I don't think I've been this distraught since both endings of BioShock Infinite.

I hope the original gets a remaster and PC release, as bad as it sounds like it might be. Also Yoko Taro has earned Day 1 status. Hopefully he continues his work with PC in mind.

Now, let's see what the DLC has in store.

zkylon

zkylewd
started a new dark souls 3 playthrough yesterday but already feeling like i lost interest

idk what it is about dark souls 3 that makes it so hard to replay it

Ludens

Banned
I wonder when SE will do a Nier Remastered, Yoko Taro himself told if Automata would sell enough, SE would open to consider all options...a Drakengard collection plus Nier would be amazing, I never played those titles.

Hektor

started a new dark souls 3 playthrough yesterday but already feeling like i lost interest

idk what it is about dark souls 3 that makes it so hard to replay it

The world is an uninspired "'member souls?" Top 20 and incredibly linear as well.

Just by playing through the past games you already played through Dark Souls 3 multiple times

I wonder when SE will do a Nier Remastered, Yoko Taro himself told if Automata would sell enough, SE would open to consider all options...a Drakengard collection plus Nier would be amazing, I never played those titles.

A Drakengard remaster would be amazing fun. Especially the reactions of first timers. 😂

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think Prey is unlocking earlier in select regions than Bethesda said. 12am ET is midday on the 5th here but the release date on the store page now says the 4th. Midnight AEST, maybe?

Edit: A Steam friend in Queensland says it's unlocking on the 5th for him, so, yeah, midnight AEST.

Speaking of which, Nier Automata broke the 300k line (312k).

Hektor

Speaking of which, Nier Automata broke the 300k line (312k).

A 👏 yoko 👏 taro 👏 game 👏 selling 👏 300k 👏 full 👏 priced 👏 units 👏 on 👏 PC 👏

If this doesn't convince SE to put up their stuff day 1 rather than after pointless delay then nothing ever will.

I think it made more money than any other japanese SE game on Steam?

If this doesn't convince SE to put up their stuff day 1 rather than after pointless delay then nothing ever will.

Hands down. Let's not forget they also:
-Delayed it by a week
-Turned into silence mode for a deal
-Delayed it in SEA because of a deal
-Fucked up SEA prices.

dex3108

I have much respect for Valve for pushing some things forward but boy am i disappointed at them as video game company. They really don't care about their fans anymore. I would really like to see them publicly say that they are done with SP games or in games in general and that they will only continue to support CS GO and Dota 2.

PantsuJo

Great results.

Ludens

Banned
Nier DLC is 14€...14€ for some skins and a coliseum...also I think this dlc was already planned, since there's an area in the desert you can't access and SE told is related to the dlc.
And Yoko Taro even told there wouldn't be dlcs because of budget...

gngf123

Nier DLC is 14€...14€ for some skins and a coliseum...also I think this dlc was already planned, since there's an area in the desert you can't access and SE told is related to the dlc.

Taro said they didn't have the budget left over for large Witcher 3 style DLC, so to not expect that.

This is about right.

Anteater

again:

Taro confirmed that Square Enix's Yosuke Saito was interested in making DLCs for the game but he explained that there aren't enough people and funding to create and release expansive story DLCs like those released for "The Witcher 3."

"We don't have enough manpower or budget to create that type of content," Taro said

Ludens

Banned
Taro said they didn't have the budget left over for large Witcher 3 style DLC, so to not expect that.

This is about right.

Ah yeah, looked for the news now and you are right, but at the news was released, there was no plan for dlcs...but I'm bummed about the price, 14€ for a coliseum is simply too much, expecially when Platinum itself released story dlc for Rising for much less, and they were new playable characters with full voice acting, cutscenes, new ost, new locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom